Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 51 ( Chapter 51 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G boys, I just borrow them from time to time and return them a whole lot happier. I do own the plot and any other characters, especially the equines, that you will find in this fic. Please do not take them without permission. Written for pleasure not profit.
 
Pairing: 2x1x2, 3x4, 13x6, H+C
 
Warnings: Yaoi, lemon, sap, angst, vet themes, AU
 
Rating: NC 17
 
Archive: www.gundam-wing-diaries.150m.com Anyone else please ask.
 
Betaed by Yami_tai *snugs*
 
Summary: Eighteen months have passed since Heero was advised he was short listed for the Olympic games team. With Zero going well and young Shinigami almost ready to make his showjumping debut, Heero looks set to reach his goal. Life though doesn't always play by the rules.
 
Dedication: To Leslie who gave me the original idea for Equinity.
 
Fic 3 in the Equine Intervention Arc.
 
"Going for Gold"
 
January. 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 51
 
Duo and Heero gravitated towards the rest of their group in the small common room just down the hall from the main conference room where tea, coffee and light snacks were waiting for them. Having gotten themselves a steaming coffee and a few biscuits to munch on, the group settled in the large chairs and began to discuss the impending team selection.
 
“I'm sure that Peter, Adam and Jenny will be in the team,” Zoe started the conversation off.
 
“I'll be very surprised if Peter isn't. That horse of his is a terrific jumper, loads of scope and well educated,” Treize stated.
 
“I'm pretty sure you have both made the team,” Heero said quietly.
 
“You're in with just as much chance as the rest of us, Heero,” Zoe chastised.
 
“I don't think I'd like to be one of the selectors,” Michael mused. “It's not going to be an easy decision at all. Everyone has their good points and their shortcomings too.”
 
“From what I saw, everyone looked pretty good,” Duo chuckled.
 
“Well, I think everyone is a winner regardless of whether or not they make it into the team. It takes a lot just to get this far so you should all be proud of yourselves,” Joe stated and then blushed as he realized everyone was looking at him. Joe didn't usually say much, his expertise was on the ground, not the animal's back. But Joe had been around horses, especially top show jumpers, for long enough to know a good horse when he saw one.
 
“Hear hear,” Heero replied. “I agree. We all have nothing to be ashamed of and everything to be proud of. At least we made it this far.”
 
“I suggest a toast,” Zoe said and raised her cup of tea. “To all of us. Win, lose or draw, we made it this far.”
 
Everyone raised their cup or mug and the chinaware clinked as they toasted each other. Adam, Peter and Jenny joined them and the conversation flowed, each trying to predict who would be in the final team.
 
Just over an hour later, Noin stuck her head inside the door and called for everyone to return to the conference room.
 
Heero felt as if a thousand butterflies had hatched in his stomach and were trying their hardest to escape. Zoe felt sick and Michael offered to fetch her a bucket, an offer he regretted when Zoe threatened to put it on his head if he so much as dared to carry out his offer. Treize radiated a sense of calm about him whilst inside he was a mass of frayed nerves. The other three team hopefuls were in a similar situation, either feeling sick or looking like they were going to pass out.
 
Duo wondered if there was anything equivalent to Valium in Heero's first aid kit in the car.
 
Joe thought a good, stiff drink would probably do everyone the world of good and cursed himself for not having had the forethought to bring a drop with him that he could have slipped into everyone's coffee.
 
The group all wandered back into the conference room and took their seats. Dermail, Noin and two other gentlemen stood at the head of the table. Heero recognized the one as being David Prescott, head selector for the E.F.A. The other man he didn't know.
 
With everyone seated, Noin cleared her throat and silence filled the room. She gave an inward smile; they all looked like they were going to their execution, not awaiting the final selection! Deciding not to prolong the agony any further, she began.
 
“Before I introduce our guests, I'd like to thank you all for your efforts, dedication and commitment to this past week's camp. You have all conducted yourselves in a manner becoming a representative of their country and you have all worked hard as have your horses and your grooms. You should all be proud of yourselves. It has been both Dermail's and my honor and privilege to have worked with such a lovely group of talented horses and riders. I wish you all the very best of success.” Noin paused for a moment as the group gave her a round of applause.
 
Blushing slightly, she continued. “I'd like to introduce to you now, David Prescott, head selector for the E.F.A. and Barry Hunter, one of the main selectors.” Noin sat down and allowed the two men to rise and take the floor.
 
Prescott looked around at the assembled riders and grooms. “First of all, I'd like to add the E.F.A.'s thanks to you all for giving up a week of your time to attend this camp. You are all excellent riders with very talented horses and your country is proud of you for all the time and effort you have put in. As you are all aware, the selectors have been recording your performances over the past twelve months and observing them at several designated shows. From those observations and records, you six were the ones selected to try out for the Nations Cup team.” Prescott paused for a moment to smile at the gathered faces.
 
“This past week has also given us the opportunity to observe each one of you in closer detail. The final team selection has not been an easy one, or made lightly. We have taken into consideration all of your past performances, your current performances, the efforts this week and the recommendations of the team coaches.” Prescott turned to his fellow selector and took the offered file from him.
 
Facing the group once more, he began, “I'm sure you are all eager to know the final team selection so without any further preamble, here it is.”
 
Everyone seemed to hold their breath as Prescott opened the file and pulled out a slip of paper.
 
“The team to represent Australia at the Nations Cup event in Auckland, New Zealand will be: Adam Willmot and Promises; Zoe Harrison and Lionheart; Peter Denton and SkyHigh...”
 
Heero could feel the sweat trickling down his back as he held his breath, Duo's nails were digging into the palm of his hand as he had his fists clenched so tight. Beside them, Zoe was smiling from ear to ear but still sitting like a cat on a hot tin roof as she waited for the remaining team member to be announced. Treize radiated calmness, but his insides were churning.
 
Prescott continued, “Jenny Marks and Charade.” Prescott looked around. “The reserve rider for the team will be Treize Kushrenada on Romefeller. Noin will inform you all shortly of all the details for travel, accommodation and such. Thank you, everyone.” Prescott, Hunter, Dermail and Noin all left the room for a moment.
 
With the conclusion of Prescott's announcement and departure, the room suddenly exploded into chatter. Those lucky enough to be selected were congratulating themselves, each other and their grooms. Heero sat quietly, the words still sinking in.
 
He'd missed out on selection.
 
Whilst Heero knew in his heart he'd not stood much of a chance given Shinigami's need to gain experience; it was still a bitter pill to swallow.
 
“Heero? I'm sorry.”
 
Heero turned to look into Duo's sad, violet eyes. “It's okay. I expected it. Shini's not as good as the others yet and the selectors picked the right team members,” he replied.
 
“I still think you should have made the team,” Duo stated, wanting nothing more than to take Heero into his arms right then and kiss away the pain he knew was lodged in Heero's heart with his missing out, even if his partner wasn't showing it.
 
“The other horses are a lot more experienced than Shini, even Romeo is only the reserve,” Heero said quietly, taking some solace in that fact.
 
“I guess so, but...”
 
“Duo, it's okay. Yes, I'm disappointed we didn't make the team, but it is an achievement to have made the shortlist.”
 
The long haired vet smiled, his eyes letting Heero know that he understood - but it still hurt just as much that they hadn't made the final selection.
 
“Don't worry, Duo. There's still the Olympics and we're on the shortlist for that too. The final selection for that isn't for another twelve months and by that stage, Shinigami will have had another year of competition under his girth and gained a lot more experience. This week has taught me a lot and I'm damn sure I'm going to work on all that I've learnt, get Shini a lot fitter and by the time the team selection for the Olympics comes around, Shini will be just as experienced and good as all the others selected here today.”
 
Violet eyes sparkled at him, a soft smile playing on the vet's lips. “You know something, Heero?”
 
“No. What?”
 
“I'm so damn proud of you and your determination that I could kiss you right now.”
 
Heero chuckled. “I'll take a rain check.”
 
“Oh, I promise you, there will be more than one rain check,” Duo replied slyly.
 
Heero didn't get a chance to answer as Zoe, Michael and Treize descended on them to offer their commiserations.
 
* * *
 
With the team having been selected and the camp now over, Heero and Duo had packed up their gear and taken Shini home. The gray had been pleased to return to the practice and immediately let the other horses know of his return by neighing loudly as soon as Heero stopped the car and float.
 
Hilde and Catherine were waiting for them, eagerly descending on the pair once they exited the car. Whilst neither woman was pleased to hear that Heero had missed out on selection, they grudgingly admitted it was probably the best thing once Heero had explained to them the complexities of selecting the best team to represent the country.
 
Yes he was disappointed, but he wasn't bitter about missing out; in fact, it had made him more determined than ever to be selected for the Olympics. Hilde and Catherine made it known that they would both help out and support Heero in any way they could to see him achieve his dream.
 
Quatre and Trowa had phoned that evening to find out what had transpired and were both put out when they learnt that Heero had missed out. Like the girls, they soon understood when Heero explained things to them and also offered their support in any way they could to see Heero and Shini make it to the Olympics.
 
Heero was touched by all their support and once more humbled by the friends he now had that enriched his life.
 
With the Nations Cup selections finished, it was time to get back to the routine of everyday life. Heero eased off on Shini's workload, bringing the stallion down slowly and then turning him out for a month's spell. The break would do the young stallion the world of good.
 
Treize kept Romeo in full work as he didn't know if he would be needed as the team reserve or not and wouldn't know until a few days before the team left for Auckland. He'd started to put the big bay over the grids again as Noin had suggested and they were helping a lot with Romeo's striding problems.
 
Heero continued working with Altron and Virgo, the mare showing a lot of promise and Treize had several people interested in purchasing the mare. Treize wasn't ready to sell her just yet though and wanted Heero to ride her for another season of shows before he would consider any offers on her.
 
A couple of people had shown an interest in purchasing Altron and Treize was currently in discussions with them, although nothing had been finalized yet.
 
Wing was now four months old and growing rapidly, Heero had done more work halter breaking the colt after the camp and Wing would now lead without any fuss. The next stage would be teaching the colt to tie up.
 
Several more people in the equine world had contacted Heero to see if Zero would be standing at stud again that season, the interest in the stallion having increased with Shinigami's success in the showjumping arena. Heero had turned them all down, stating the stallion would not be standing at stud again until the following breeding season. He intended to stick with his plan of only standing Zero every second season, thus ensuring that any stress to the damaged leg would be kept to a minimum. He'd agreed though to Zero serving one mare during the current season - Relena's mare.
 
He had included the free service in the contract to purchase Angel and Relena was currently selecting the mare she wished to put in foal to Zero. Having taken into consideration Zero's breeding, the types of mares he'd served and the resulting foals from those matings, Relena had narrowed her choice down to two of her brood mares.
 
The call Heero had been expecting from the woman came though just two weeks after the Nations Cup selection.
 
“Duo?”
 
Duo looked up from where he was stitching the skin back on a dog that had been brought in after having been run over by a car. “Yes?”
 
“Relena called, she's picked out the mare she wants to put in foal and the mare is coming into season,” Heero stated, waiting for the reaction from his lover.
 
“I see,” Duo growled softly. No matter how much time had passed, he still couldn't bring himself to like the woman, he only tolerated her because of Heero's horse dealings with her. Hopefully once Relena had her mare in foal she would leave them both alone and he'd never have to deal with her again.
 
“She wants to bring the mare over for Zero to serve tomorrow and then each second day until she goes out of season.”
 
“Okay.” Duo continued to stitch away.
 
“I asked her to bring her over about four-ish. Is that okay with you?” Heero was well aware of his lover's feelings when it came to Relena and he couldn't blame him. Heck! Even Heero didn't care much for her after all the trouble she'd caused.
 
“That's fine.” Duo was in two minds. He really wanted to be elsewhere when the woman came, but on the other hand, he didn't want to leave Heero all alone with her either.
 
Having an idea of what was going through his lover's mind, Heero tried to soothe the vet. “Zechs will be coming too, “ he said softly.
 
Duo breathed a sigh of relief.
 
* * *
 
Relena's car and float arrived promptly at four, Walker driving and Zechs following behind in his own car. Duo heard the vehicles pull up and took a deep breath, mentally steeling himself for meeting the woman again. Stepping outside a few moments after Heero, he was pleasantly surprised to find Relena hadn't come.
 
“Miss Relena extends her apologies,” Walker began as he shook hands with both Heero and Duo. “Something came up at the last minute that she had to deal with and unfortunately couldn't make the appointment with you.”
 
“That's fine, Walker,” Heero replied, secretly relieved that Relena wasn't there to witness the mating of the two horses. Heero was still very easily embarrassed when it came to sex, even if it was only animals and nature at work. “You have the mare all ready?”
 
“Yes. I'll get her out if you're ready.”
 
“Good. Once you have her off the float, if you follow Doctor Maxwell, he will show you where to take her,” Heero replied and then turned to greet Zechs, Duo already shaking hands with the other vet.
 
“Nice to see you again, Zechs,” Duo greeted.
 
“How's business, Duo?”
 
“Busy,” Duo laughed. “It's that time of year I guess.” It was currently the middle of the breeding season so besides the many animals being impregnated, there was the usual rush of assisted deliveries for Duo and Hilde; not to mention the pregnancy testing as well.
 
“I can relate to that,” Zechs chuckled and then turned to shake hands with Heero.
 
“How are you, Zechs?”
 
“I'm fine, Heero. Yourself?”
 
“Doing well.”
 
“I brought the paperwork with me on the mare for you. I've given her a thorough internal and she's completely clean.” Zechs handed Heero over the paperwork to check.
 
It was something Duo had suggested Heero do, insist that any mare that was to be served by Zero have a full internal exam including blood tests to make sure she was clean and free from any diseases. That way Zero's health wouldn't be compromised. Duo had also done a health check on Zero so the mare owners could assure themselves that the stallion was also clean.
 
Heero looked over the paperwork and then handed it to Duo to check. Everything was in order.
 
Walker fetched the mare off the float and both Heero and Duo got their first look at the mare Relena had picked out to carry Zero's foal.
 
Heero gave a low whistle as he took in the mare's lines. She stood around sixteen hands, Heero estimated. A rich chestnut with sloping shoulders, good hindquarters and a pretty head. “Nice,” he muttered.
 
“She's well bred,” Walker announced. “By Peacemillion out of a Horace daughter.”
 
“Horace?” Duo questioned, looking a little perplexed.
 
Walker chuckled. “Horace is his stable name. Westgate Hallmark is his registered name. This little lady is called Sonata.”
 
“I've got news for him, she's not so little,” Duo muttered under his breath so only Heero could hear.
 
Heero chuckled to himself. The mare was impressive with her height, especially since she seemed to have 'grown' a few more inches with the excitement of being in a new place. “Can you take Walker through to the back whilst I get Zero, please?”
 
“Sure,” Duo replied.
 
“Thanks.” Heero disappeared off to fetch Zero while Duo took Walker, Zechs and the mare through to the rear of the stables and the small yard there.
 
Walker took the mare into the yard and waited whilst Heero brought Zero out. They let the pair 'talk' to each other over the fence first, Zechs and Duo checking that the mare was definitely in season. Once that was confirmed, Heero led the stallion a short way off to allow Walker to bring the mare out and stand her by the fence. Once she was in position, Heero brought Zero back.
 
It was all over in a matter of a couple of minutes. Zero sniffed away, then reared up and mounted the mare. A few thrusts later and Zero's eyes went glassy, his body stiffened and it was all done. Zero slipped off the side of the mare, Heero making sure to keep his stallion clear of the hind hooves of the mare just in case she decided to kick.
 
Walker took the mare back to the float and loaded her up whilst Heero put Zero back in his stable for a moment. They said there good byes after arranging to bring the mare back again for another service in two days time. Walker departed and Zechs left too, he had a couple of call outs to attend to and promised to catch up with the pair very soon.
 
With all the 'business' taken care of, Heero removed the protective bandages from Zero's front legs and let Duo check his horse. Satisfied that all was well, they put the dreamy looking stallion back out into the paddock, no doubt to gloat to Shinigami about his little 'romp in the hay' over the fence.
 
* * *
 
Zero served Sonata another two times before the mare went out of season. Relena kept a record of the dates the mare was served and the following month checked to see if she came back into season. She didn't so Relena assumed the mare was in foal and booked Zechs to do a pregnancy test a month or two down the track.
 
Zechs did the test and confirmed that the mare was indeed, in foal. Heero completed the remainder of the paperwork; that mainly being the service certificate, and sent it off to Relena. Once the foal was born, Relena would be able to register the foal with the Warmblood association and also have proof of the foal's breeding should she decide to sell later on.
 
As the days passed, the date for the Nations Cup drew closer. Treize was still waiting to hear if he would be needed or not, keeping Romeo in full work and educating the youngster as much as he could. Heero could see a definite improvement in the stallion, his striding beginning to come together and Heero was in no doubts that the pair would be a formidable combination come the next show season and Olympic trials.
 
Zoe had been in touch too, complaining good naturedly about having to organize everything for the trip to New Zealand and still finish her wedding plans. Heero and Duo were both attending the wedding, as were Treize and Zechs. When Treize had approached Zechs to accompany him, the blonde vet had been stunned and then pleased that Treize would want him to attend the wedding of a close friend as his 'date'.
 
Needless to say, he'd accepted.
 
Both couples sent their acceptances to Zoe once the camp had finished.
 
With a week left before the team departed to the Nations Cup event, Treize was finally contacted by the committee and informed that he would not be needed as the reserve rider. All team members and their horses were fit and would be attending. He was thanked again for his time and efforts and wished success in the future.
 
Treize had been disappointed, but also relieved. Not having to go to Auckland meant he could let Romeo have a much needed break and concentrate on a few of the newer horses he had coming into the stable.
 
The weekend before the team was due to depart for New Zealand, Heero, Duo, Treize and Zechs all managed to meet with Zoe and Michael for a farewell dinner. It was a pleasant evening, good food, a little wine - which neither Heero or Duo partook of - and great company.
 
They chatted about anything and everything, discussing the wedding plans, horses, the pending Cup and the Olympic selection. Zechs hit it off with Michael and Zoe straight away, the blonde vet's charm and grace impressing the pair. The fact that he was easy to talk to and could converse on pretty much anything held him in good stead. Michael was impressed with Zechs' job, not that he didn't appreciate Duo's veterinary skills, he did; but Zechs specialized in the equine race and Michael was always eager to learn of any new advancements or progress in the world of equine medicine.
 
After wishing Zoe and Lionheart all the best of luck for the Nations Cup competition and promising to watch whatever they could of it on the television, depending on the broadcasts, the group left the restaurant and went their separate ways.
 
* * *
 
Returning home from work at Treize's, Heero walked into the house to find Duo in the lounge room, Smokey in his arms, a frown and thoughtful expression on his sweet face. Leaning in to give his lover a kiss, he had to ask the question. “What's up?”
 
“Ah, Heero. Just the person I need to talk to,” Duo replied once his lips had been released.
 
“Uh oh, I don't know if I like the sound of that,” Heero teased as he sat next to his boyfriend.
 
Duo smiled. “It's nothing bad or anything so you don't need to be worried.”
 
“Then what is it?”
 
“Smokey.”
 
“Eh?” Heero couldn't for the life of him think of anything the young cat may have done.
 
“Smokey,” Duo repeated. “She's pretty much six months old now.”
 
“And that means?” Heero had a moment's vision that Duo wanted to throw a birthday party or something for the cat.
 
“She's going to be coming into season very soon.”
 
“Ah.” The penny dropped and Heero paled.
 
“Heero? I know she's your cat and the final decision is yours, but I think we should spay her now, before she gets much older. You really don't need a bunch of kittens on your hands as well as all the horses.”
 
What Duo said made perfect sense. Heero was a responsible animal owner, looking after them all to the best of his ability and he'd fully planned on having Smokey de-sexed. Only faced with the immediate decision he couldn't help but feel a little apprehensive.
 
“It's a straightforward operation, Heero. You know that, you've assisted me enough times when doing them,” Duo reassured.
 
“I know,” Heero sighed. “Sorry, I know what you're saying is right and I fully agree, I want to have her spayed, it's just that...”
 
Duo placed his hand on Heero's arm and smiled warmly. Understanding washed through his violet eyes as he locked gazes with Heero. “I understand, Heero. You can help out with countless spays and castrations, but when it's your own animal under the knife - it's different.”
 
“Yeah.” Heero lowered his eyes feeling a little silly for having these fears.
 
“She really needs to be done as soon as possible. I can do her for you, or if you'd prefer, I can get Hilde to do her or another vet.”
 
“No.” That didn't sound quite right to Heero so he quickly elaborated. “What I mean is I'd rather you did it. I don't want another vet to treat her and no offense to Hilde, but I'd feel better knowing it was you.”
 
“Okay. I can do her tomorrow afternoon.”“Thanks.”
 
“Would you like to assist? Or would you prefer not to?”
 
Heero thought about that for a moment and quickly made up his mind. “I think I'd rather sit this one out if you don't mind.”
 
“No problem at all, Heero.” Duo snuggled up against his partner's side, Heero's arm coming to drape over his shoulders and pull him even closer.
 
* * *
 
The following day, Duo took Smokey through to the surgery with him and popped her into one of the cat kennels; much to the cat's disgust. She didn't want to be locked up and couldn't understand why she wasn't allowed to roam around like she usually did.
 
Catherine offered to assist Duo with the operation and he gladly accepted. Heero had been a little jittery that morning, causing Duo to feel nervous too and the calm nature of Catherine helped to soothe him a bit.
 
Morning consults flew by and before Duo knew it, he was saying farewell the last client. Duo cleaned up the consulting room whilst Catherine finished off the paperwork and tidied up the waiting room. Once they were done it was time for Smokey's operation.
 
Duo fetched the annoyed cat whilst Catherine answered the phone that had insisted on ringing just as they were getting ready. By the time Catherine got back to the operating room, Duo had the cat on the table and the anesthetic ready to administer.
 
“What was the call?” Duo asked, noting a smile on the woman's face.
 
Catherine chuckled. “That was Heero.”
 
“Heero?”
 
“Yeah, he wanted to know if you'd done the operation yet and how it had gone.”
 
Duo couldn't help it, he snickered.
 
“If you don't mind me saying so, I though he was very protective when it came to his horses being treated, but anyone would think this cat was undergoing life threatening surgery!”
 
“That's Heero. He can be a real mother hen at times,” Duo chuckled.
 
“You wouldn't know it to look at him,” Catherine replied as she tried to hold her laughter.
 
“Outwardly he gives the impression he's a cold rock of granite...” Duo began.
 
“...But inside he's just a big softie,” Catherine finished for him.
 
“Got it in one,” Duo smiled. “Come on, let's get this operation started or he'll be home and in the waiting room pacing nervously before we've even taken the first step.”
 
Smiling, Catherine took hold of the cat and held her firmly with a front leg extended for Duo to administer the anesthetic.
 
* * *
 
Heero wasn't pacing the waiting room floor and he would have been most put out to know his lover had even suggested he would do that. He wasn't an overprotective, worried pet owner - no way!
 
“Heero?”
 
Heero looked up to see Treize standing in the doorway of the tack room.
 
“Are you going to get Altron's gear or just wear out the floor to the tack shed with your pacing?”
 
“Coming right now,” Heero replied and went to get the bay's saddle and bridle.
 
* * *
 
“There, all done,” Duo smiled as he tied off the last stitch and dropped the needle into the kidney dish.
 
“Nice and neat. Excellent job, Doctor Maxwell,” Catherine praised as she collected up the used utensils.
 
“Thank you, Nurse Catherine,” Duo teased. “Flattery will get you everywhere.”
 
“I hope not,” the woman replied. “I already have a perfectly nice private life. Besides, I think Heero might object.”
 
The phone chose that moment to ring.
 
“Speaking of Heero, I'll bet that's him,” Duo snickered. “I'll get it if you like?”
 
“Thanks. I'll finish cleaning up and watch Smokey.”
 
Duo took off down the hall to the reception area and snatched up the phone. “Maxwell Veterinary Practice.”
 
“Duo?”“Heero?”
 
“I was wondering if...”
 
“Operation is all over, Heero. She's fine, or at least she should be when she wakes up.”
 
There was an audible sigh down the line. “Thanks.”
 
“No problem. It all went well, text book surgery with no complications at all.”
 
“Good. That makes me feel a lot better.”
 
“I'd better get back and check on her, Heero. See you tonight.”
 
“Thanks, Duo. I love you.”
 
“Love you too, Heero.”
 
The phone call was disconnected, Duo returning to check on his patient, Heero making plans to stop off in the town on his way home and purchase a nice piece of fish for Smokey.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...