Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 88 ( Chapter 88 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

'Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 88
 
Treize made it back to the Village before the sun came up and despite receiving a raised eyebrow from the security staff, mainly due to his state of dress, (still being in his riding attire!); he managed to pass his lateness off as staying out and celebrating. Whilst it wasn't of any concern to the security, they were used to the athletes coming and going at all hours of the day and night, it made Treize feel a little better he'd given them some sort of excuse.
 
He got back to his room and snuck inside. Joe remained sound asleep on the opposite bed, snoring quietly which Treize was grateful for. Stripping off his jacket, shirt and jodhpurs, he climbed into the bed and was asleep before his head hit the pillow.
 
* * *
 
Heero rolled over and yawned, the sun streaming in through the small crack in the curtains and falling across his face, waking him up. He glanced at the clock; seven-ten shone in red back at him. He rubbed his eyes and then looked to the still sleeping figure cuddled against his side. He smiled warmly and leaned down to press a kiss to the pale skin.
 
“Uh, what time is it?” Duo mumbled.
 
“Just after seven,” Heero replied and then pressed another kiss to Duo's temple before continuing to pepper kisses along the vet's cheek and jaw.
 
Duo squirmed. “Scratchy,” he muttered.
 
“Sorry. I guess I should have a shave,” Heero said sheepishly and ran a hand over the stubble on his chin.
 
“I think I need one too,” Duo returned as he ran his own hand over the slight growth appearing on his own face.
 
“Guess I should be moving. I need to get down to the stables and feed Shini. I'll be going first in the jumping this morning.”
 
Duo sat bolt upright in the bed. “Shit! I'd forgotten they reverse the order for the second round. Better shift our asses then otherwise Shini won't have digested properly or been warmed up enough when it's your turn to compete.” Tossing back the covers, he slid his nude body out and stood up. “Oooh, chilly,” he yelped as the colder air of the room hit his bare skin.
 
“Wuss,” retorted Heero as he climbed out from the other side and made a great show of stretching and displaying his equally naked skin - minus the goose flesh.
 
Duo appreciated the view for a moment and then he snickered. “I don't care how tough you think you are something else is agreeing with me that it's cold.”
 
“Eh?”
 
Duo nodded in the direction of Heero's groin. The rider looked down and blushed. His cock, it seemed, agreed with Duo. It was cold and it was doing its best to shrink back inside Heero's body.
 
“First dibs on the shower,” Duo chuckled and shot through to the bathroom.
 
“Bastard!” Heero yelled after him, but all he got by way of an answer was another round of Duo's laughter.
 
* * *
 
“Good morning everyone,” Noin greeted as she entered the stabling area for the Australian team.
 
Several replies of 'good morning' came back from various sources as the team members emerged from wherever it was they were.
 
“I trust you all had a good night's rest?” Noin questioned as the team and the grooms all appeared before her.
 
“Slept like a log,” Kyle replied.
 
“I went out like a light,” Zoe informed.
 
“Yeah, I know, and then you snored for a good hour,” Michael muttered. That comment earned him an elbow to the ribs. “Ow!”
 
“I do not snore!”
 
“Well, if you don't snore, what the hell would you call the noise I had to put up with?” Michael retorted.
 
“Heavy breathing brought on by total exhaustion from all the efforts I put into riding yesterday,” Zoe replied with a huff.
 
Michael wisely shut up.
 
Noin shook her head in amusement then turned to the rest of the team.
 
“I was pretty tired too and didn't take long to fall asleep,” Heero quickly said when the coach's eye fell on him.
 
“Once I got sorted out with the covers and managed to wrestle a comfortable spot on the mattress, I nodded off pretty quick too,” Duo said with a smirk. He watched Heero's cheeks darken a touch with his teasing words.
 
Noin didn't pick up on it though, lucky for Heero and Duo.
 
“Took me a while, but eventually I fell asleep through sheer exhaustion,” Treize said with an innocent look on his face.
 
“Yeah, I'll bet he was exhausted too after screwing blondie through the mattress,” Duo whispered to Heero who promptly went an even deeper shade of red.
 
“Okay everyone, I'll leave you to finishing off your stable work. I have a meeting in the stewards' office this morning to confirm our team has passed the compulsory vet check and will all be competing in today's event.” Noin turned to Duo. “You have the clearance paperwork for me?”
 
“Yes. Here it is, all filled out.” Duo handed over the paperwork.
 
“I'll be back soon.” Paperwork in hand, Noin left them to finish off.
 
Duo scanned around. “Speaking of blondie, I haven't seen Zechs this morning,” he whispered to Heero.
 
Heero took a look around. “I don't see him either.”
 
“Hey, Treize?” Duo called out as he wandered to Romeo's stable door. “Is Zechs coming today?”
 
Treize looked over from where he was brushing Romeo's mane. “He should be along soon. He had a couple of things he wanted to do this morning but said he'd be here before the competition started.
 
“Ah, okay.” Duo wandered back to Shini's stable to give Heero a hand to get the gray ready.
 
* * *
 
Heero mounted the gray and prepared to walk the horse around. He had half an hour before competition started and had just finished walking the course with Noin and the other team members. The course was the same as yesterdays, the only difference being in the height and width. Some of the jumps had been raised and others widened a touch. Heero didn't think it would make much difference to Shini, providing Heero could keep enough energy in reserve for the final couple of fences.
 
He'd taken a good look at where he'd made his mistake the previous day and noting the double had been both raised and widened, he paid special attention to the turn he would need from the double to the road closed. He'd turned a touch too tight the previous round and was determined not to make the same mistake again.
 
Picking up the spot where his horse should land, Heero walked the exact track he would need to take to bring his horse square with jump seven and clear it. Just to be sure, he walked it four times.
 
“Is there much difference?” Duo asked as he held Shini for Heero to mount.
 
“Not a lot, just the height and width, everything else is the same,” Heero replied.
 
“What about the double and jump seven where you got your faults yesterday?”
 
“The double is at maximum height and width which will make it a bit more difficult. I plan to go a little wider on the turn this time though as seven has also been raised.”
 
“Well, I'm sure that Shini will be good and do everything he can to clear those jumps,” Duo said with a warm smile.
 
Heero returned the smile and rode off to warm up.
 
Duo moved to the side of the warm up arena to watch his lover and horse. Moments later Treize rode in on Romeo and began to loosen the bay up a bit, Duo watched the other man and noted that Romeo also looked fresh and that made him feel a bit better.
 
“How are you this morning, Duo?”
 
Duo jumped and spun around. “Zechs! I didn't hear you come up behind me.”
 
“Obviously not,” Zechs chuckled.
 
“I'm fine, how are you? All set for another round of nail biting and hair chewing excitement?”
 
Zechs groaned. “I think I could do without all this heart stopping stuff. I don't have any nails left and I flatly refuse to chew on my hair, I have enough problems with split ends as it is.”
 
Duo snickered. “Well, you're certainly not going to chew mine.”
 
“I wouldn't dream of it.”
 
“How do you think they will go?”
 
Zechs shrugged. “Honestly, I haven't got a clue. All I can do is hope they go better than yesterday.”
 
“Yeah, I know what you mean. I just hope they don't make the same mistakes that they did yesterday.”
 
“I'm sure they will have learnt from those. Are you coming in to watch the first few rounds?”
 
“Why not? I'll just let Heero know I'm going to go watch and that I'll be back well before it's his turn to jump.”
 
“Okay, I'll let Treize know too. He said he was just going to loosen Romeo up a bit and then come in to watch.”
 
The two vets informed their partners of their intentions and left to go and watch some of the earlier rounds.
 
* * *
 
“You okay there, Zechs?” whispered Duo. The pair had entered the stadium and found their way to the same row of seats they'd occupied yesterday. Duo couldn't help but notice that Zechs was walking with a very slight limp and when they'd taken their seats, the blonde vet had winced a little as he'd sat down. From time to time he'd caught Zechs out the corner of his eye shifting a bit in his seat.
 
“I'm fine,” Zechs muttered back. In fact, Zechs was finding it a little hard to sit down in comfort. His ass was very sore from the pounding Treize had given him last night, but he couldn't really blame his lover, he'd been the one screaming and begging his partner to hammer him harder.
 
“You sure?” Duo asked again a couple of minutes later when he noticed Zechs grimace as he moved yet again.
 
Giving a sigh, Zechs decided to come clean. “I'm having a bit of bother finding a comfortable position to sit in. I'm a little sore,” he whispered, his cheeks going red.
 
“Ah. Took a bit of a pounding, did we?” Duo questioned, hiding his mirth well.
 
“You could say that.”
 
“Here.” Duo took sympathy on the other man and passed over his sweater. “Sit on that, it might help a bit.”
 
Zechs glanced warily at the offered garment. “Thanks, but I think I'll pass, it could cause some awkward questions.”
 
“Don't worry about it, just tell anyone that dares to ask why you're sitting on a jumper, that you have a slight hemorrhoid problem.”
 
“Duo!”
 
Duo grinned, unrepentant and shook the sweater in Zechs' face.
 
With a sigh of resignation, Zechs took the sweater, folded it and sat on it. Funnily enough, it did help a bit. “Thanks,” he muttered.
 
“My pleasure,” Duo replied. “See me after the competition; I think I might have some antiseptic cream that has a mild anesthetic in it in my drug box.”
 
Zechs gave a glare. “You're not treating me with equine ointment,” he growled.
 
Duo shrugged. “Why not? It's exactly the same as the one they sell for humans. Offer's there if you want it.”
 
Zechs considered the offer for a moment. “I'll see how I go through the day.”
 
Both men turned their attention back to the arena, Duo's face had a soft smirk playing on it.
 
* * *
 
Duo remained inside the arena and watched the first four competitors go through before he returned to the warm up area and Heero. Noin had asked Duo to let Heero know she would be out in a couple of minutes.
 
Spotting his lover exiting the arena, Heero rode Shinigami across and waited by the fence and away from the other riders who were still warming up.
 
“How is he, Heero?”
 
“He's feeling as fresh as a daisy and eager to be jumping,” Heero replied and patted the gray.
 
Duo slipped the stallion a carrot and rubbed the horse between the eyes.
 
“How are the scores looking so far?” asked Heero as he dismounted to stand beside the vet and simply enjoy being beside his partner.
 
“Pretty much the same as yesterday. The German rider had eight faults, the United Kingdom four, Swedish rider had a foot in the water which gave him a total of four faults and the Italian had eight. You know, there hasn't been a clear round at all as of yet,” Duo replied and fed the stallion another carrot.
 
“It is a really hard course,” Heero stated. “I'd be surprised if anyone goes clear over it.”
 
“Shini could do it,” said Duo quietly.
 
Heero paused and stared at his lover.
 
“I know that Zero would have gone clear and Shini is his father's son. He loves to jump and I'll bet he could clear that course without any worries at all.”
 
Images of Zero flitted through Heero's mind and he again turned to stare deep into sparkling amethyst. He could clearly see Duo's faith in them both and he straightened his spine. Firming his jaw, he spoke. “You know what, Duo? You're right. Zero would have been quite capable of clearing this course and Shinigami has Zero's blood in his veins, there's no reason why he shouldn't clear it.”
 
Duo gave his partner a warm, special smile. “Both of you can do it, Heero. I believe in you and I believe in Shini here.”
 
Before Heero had a chance to reply, Noin approached.
 
“Ah, Heero. Are you all ready to go?” Noin asked as she patted the gray's neck.
 
“Yes, Miss Noin. Shinigami's all warmed up and as fit as a fiddle.”
 
“Good. There's really nothing else I can say to you other than to get out there and give it your best shot. Both you and your horse are capable of clearing that course, you know what to expect having ridden it already and I know you will do your country proud. But, Heero... Most of all, enjoy yourself.”
 
Heero looked at his team coach and smiled. “Thank you, Noin. You're the best coach any team could ever wish for.” Beside him, Duo was grinning from ear to ear and the rider knew his lover was just itching to say something along the lines of 'he'd already told Heero all that.'
 
“You'll do just fine, Heero. Now, I'd better get back inside, the Irish rider should just about have finished and then it's the rider from the States. You'll be following him. Good luck, Heero, it's been a pleasure to work with you again.” Noin gave him a squeeze to the shoulder and then departed.
 
Heero was left with a blush on his cheeks from the coach's words.
 
“You know that everything she said is true,” Duo smirked.
 
Shaking his head, Heero checked his girth. “I'd better mount up they'll be calling me in a moment.”
 
Duo shifted a bit closer and took Shini's reins in his hand to hold the stallion whilst Heero mounted. “Be careful out there, I want you safe in my arms tonight.”
 
“I will be,” Heero replied and leaned down. “I love you, Duo. Thank you so much for all your help with Shini and for your continued support and faith in us. I promise, we will do our best out there, for our country, for Zero and Scythe: but most of all, for you.”
 
“Aw, Heero. You're gonna make me cry in a minute. Stop with all the sappy stuff,” Duo chided and tried to hide the blush and slightly watery eyes. Deep down inside though, he was pleased Heero thought so much about him, it only cemented his love for the dark haired rider even more.
 
“Heero Yuy?”
 
Heero looked around to see who was calling him and spotted the marshal. “I'm Heero Yuy.”
 
“You're next, please come over to the entry way.”
 
Heero nodded and collected up his reins. He nudged Shini into a walk and with Duo beside them; they walked over to the entry to the arena and waited for their turn to jump.
 
Standing beside the gray, Duo fed the stallion another of his much loved carrot treats and took the opportunity to whisper in the horse's ear. “I know you can't understand a word I'm saying, Shini, but please be good, look after Heero for me and most of all, jump your heart out for Heero and your country. You both deserve this. Make your sire proud of you, boy.”
 
Duo was right, Shinigami didn't understand a word, but he loved the carrots and knew if he was good he would get more of those treats. The stallion could sense the excitement in the air, he knew there were jumps coming up soon and he was eager to be out there and jumping them. He gave a low wuffle and nudged the nice human, his liquid eyes silently asking for more carrots.
 
“You're just like your old man,” Duo chuckled softly but produced the treat anyway.
 
The sound of applause greeted their ears and the commentator's voice was heard announcing that the rider from the United States had finished with four faults.
 
“Heero Yuy, please enter the arena,” the marshal said.
 
The American rider came out and Heero collected his reins. He took a deep breath and set his jaw.
 
“Good luck, Heero,” Duo said and with one last pat to Shini's neck, he squeezed Heero's calf and was gone.
 
Turning Shinigami for the entry, Heero pressed his legs against the gray sides and Shini broke into a trot. They entered the arena to the sound of applause and the commentator's voice.
 
“Representing Australia, Heero Yuy riding Shinigami. Heero finished his first round on a score of four penalties and will no doubt be looking to improve on that this round.”
 
Heero rode through the jumps to where the judge was sitting and saluted. The judge returned the salute and Heero replaced his helmet and turned Shini to head towards the start flags.
 
“This is it, Shini. Just you, me and these jumps here. Let's give this all we have, my son; for Duo.”
 
Shini cocked back an ear and broke into a slow canter. He felt full of life and eager to jump.
 
The bell rang and everything faded into the background. All that remained was the horse underneath him, the jumps ahead and the faith of his lover in his heart.
 
* * *
 
Having wished his lover good luck, Duo sprinted for the stairs that would take him back into the arena and the allocated section of the stadium for the 'support' crew. He spotted the rest of the team and managed to get to his seat just as Heero rode in.
 
“How is he?” Treize hissed from Duo's side.
 
“He's fine, determined as hell and Shini's practically jumping out of his skin,” Duo whispered back.
 
“Good. They will do just fine,” Treize replied with a smile.
 
“I hope so,” Duo replied and bit his lip.
 
* * *
 
“What are you doing out there, Cathy?” Trowa called from where he was sitting curled up on the couch next to Quatre.
 
“Just about finished,” came the reply from the kitchen.
 
“You might want to hurry it up a bit, they're starting any second,” Trowa returned.
 
“Hold your horses, we're coming now,” Hilde yelled.
 
Catherine gave her lover a smile and a quick peck on the lips. “If you can manage those couple of plates, I'll bring the tray with the drinks.”
 
“Piece of cake,” Hilde replied with a grin and picked up the two plates of food. Catherine followed behind with the drinks.
 
“Here you go, oh grumpy brother of mine,” Catherine teased as she set the tray down on the coffee table.
 
“And here's the food,” Hilde added as she placed the plates alongside the tray. She grabbed a small plate for herself and Catherine and began to pile it high with snacks.
 
Trowa's eyes widened when he saw the amount of food on the plate. “You'll get fat,” he teased.
 
“No I won't,” Hilde replied.
 
“You will if you eat all that.”
 
“This is for Cathy,” Hilde shot back with a smirk.
 
Trowa just stared and gaped. Quatre laughed.
 
Feeling quite smug, Hilde took a seat on the other couch, Catherine coming to sit beside her with their drinks. The pair cuddled up to each other and turned their attention to the television that had started to show highlights from the first of the second round riders.
 
“Who is first for the Australian team to ride today?”Catherine asked as she picked up a sausage roll.
 
“I'm not sure,” replied Quatre. “I think they go in reverse order for the second round. I'm pretty sure I recall Heero saying that at some stage; although I could be wrong.”
 
“I think you're right,” Trowa interjected. “It's the Aussies up next and I think I glimpsed Heero waiting to come in as the American rider passed by the entry.”
 
Trowa's words were confirmed as the commentator announced Heero as the first of the Australian team to go.
 
Silence fell on the occupants as they riveted their eyes to the screen.
 
* * *
 
Heero collected his horse up and rode between the flags, breaking the electronic timer beam. Jump one lay dead ahead and Shinigami cocked his ears. He sized up the jump and seconds later was sailing cleanly over it.
 
“Good boy,” Heero praised and applied his right leg and left rein to get the horse to turn to the left. Jump two came into sight and Heero concentrated on riding Shini at the center of it. The gray lengthened out his stride and popped neatly over the fence and eager for the next one.
 
“Steady, Shini. There's a lot more to go yet,” Heero murmured as he looked for the third fence.
 
Shini snorted and steadied his pace.
 
They took fence four; the hogs back with ease, Shini landing cleanly and allowing Heero to collect him up. The stallion was enjoying himself and it showed in his willingness to listen to his rider and the manner in which he approached his jumps.
 
Taking a slightly stronger hold on the reins, Heero applied a little leg and rode his horse together.
 
* * *
 
“He seems to be doing well so far,” Duo muttered, peeking out from underneath his bangs where he was watching his lover ride the course.
 
“He's going very well,” Treize stated. “In fact, he seems to be riding better than his first round.”
 
“I hope he keeps it up. The harder ones are yet to come,” Duo returned and grabbed the end of his braid.
 
“I'm no expert, but both Heero and his horse look like they're a lot more comfortable this time than the last round,” Zechs offered.
 
“We'll see,” said Duo softly and then mumbled under his breath, “Stay safe, both of you.”
 
* * *
 
“That's it, Shini, nice and easy,” Heero murmured to his horse.
 
A gray ear flicked back and then swiveled forward again as Shinigami lined up the next jump.
 
Hind hooves dug deep into the dirt as powerful muscles propelled the stallion into the air. Forefeet tucked up against the chest as the body arced over the jump and then began to unfurl to take the force of landing.
 
“Good boy,” Heero praised and ran a hand quickly down the satiny neck. He lowered his weight a touch into the saddle and shortened his left rein. Body weight moving to the left and right leg pressing against the stallion's side soon had Shinigami turning to the left and on track for jump five.
 
Heero was concentrating hard, jump five wasn't all that difficult; it was the double and following jump seven that were going to be the first of any possible problems. That was where Shini had scored his penalties last round and Heero didn't want a repeat this time.
 
With a grunt, Shini launched himself into the air again, body straining as he flew upwards and over the jump. Landing clean on the other side, the gray tossed his head and cantered on.
 
* * *
 
“Don't they look just great together?” Catherine said as her eyes stayed glued to the screen.
 
“They certainly have come a long way,” Quatre remarked as he thought back to the early days when Shini was just starting out in his career.
 
“Seems like only yesterday that he was born,” Trowa said as his mind also wandered back to when Shini had been foaled.
 
“Heero has done a great job with him. I'm so proud of them both. Oh, and Duo too,” Hilde added with a snicker.
 
“Yeah, Duo deserved to be the team vet. He's a damn fine one, the best if you ask me,” Quatre replied.
 
“Oh, really?” Hilde teased. “And what am I then? Second rate?”
 
“No, that's not what I meant,” Quatre began hastily, a blush spreading over his cheeks. “You're a fine vet too, Hilde.”
 
“Hilde, stop teasing Quatre and watch the broadcast,” Catherine admonished. She knew how easily Quatre got flustered.
 
“Yes, mom.”
 
“I'd behave myself if I were you otherwise you just might find yourself sleeping on the couch.”
 
“But, we're staying at my place tonight and it's my bed,” Hilde replied feeling a little smug about that.
 
Catherine turned and stared at her lover. “I don't care if it's your place or mine, behave or you'll sleep on the couch and you won't get any for a while either.”
 
“You know you couldn't deny me,” Hilde said with a flutter of her eyelashes. “Besides, you're the one with the insatiable appetite.”
 
“Ack! Too much information,” Quatre cried and buried his face in Trowa's shoulder.
 
“I think you traumatized him,” Trowa said as he hugged the blonde closer to him and petted the soft head of hair. “It's okay, Quatre. I won't let them say anymore.”
 
Hilde snickered and Catherine rolled her eyes.
 
* * *
 
Shinigami was traveling well. He still had energy in reserve and was keen and eager, yet obedient to his master's touch. Jump five was ahead and Shini gauged his take off point.
 
Heero's body followed that of his horse as they rose in the air together. His hands slipped up the neck, weight coming out of the saddle and balancing on his stirrups. As they began their descent, Heero's hands came back down the neck, keeping the light contact with the stallion's mouth as his weight came back into the saddle.
 
“Now for the first of the tough ones.” Heero sat deeper, shortening the gray's stride and re-balancing the horse. The double lay ahead, followed by the sharp turn to seven and Heero was determined to clear both jumps this time.
 
Shinigami met part A square on and cleared it with inches to spare. Immediately he landed, Heero was there with his seat and leg, driving the stallion together. They took the two strides and launched into the air again. Muscles strained in those hind quarters as Shinigami pushed for both height and width.
 
* * *
 
“I can't watch,” Duo moaned and hid his face against Zechs' shoulder.
 
“It's okay, Duo. They're doing just fine,” Zechs replied and patted the other vet's back.
 
“Tell me when it's all over.”
 
“I can take you outside if you'd rather not watch,” Zechs said.
 
“And miss Heero jumping? No way!”
 
Zechs sighed and gave up.
 
* * *
 
The pair cleared the second element of the double and as soon as they landed, Heero was there with his hands, seat and leg. He checked the gray's forward movement whilst asking the horse to turn, legs driving the hindquarters right underneath and building the impulsion.
 
Shini propped and steadied himself. His back softened as his hind end came under him, lightening his forehand and enabling him to turn quickly.
 
Heero was mindful of his last turn here and made sure to go out a little wider this time. Still riding his horse forward, the jump appeared ahead of them and Heero had a moment of panic. They were still too sharp on their turn and were coming in on the wrong stride.
 
But it was too late to do anything about it now. The jump was upon them and Shinigami gamely put in a short stride and took off from almost beneath the jump.
 
The crowd all gasped and then held their breath as horse and rider seemed to rise vertically in the air.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...