Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Going For Gold ❯ Chapter 90 ( Chapter 90 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

“Going for Gold”
 
January 2007 ShenLong
 
Chapter 90
 
By the time Heero and Duo had finished with Shinigami, Treize was saddled up and leading Romeo out of his stable. The bay looked fresh and full of himself. Once they were outside the stabling area, Treize mounted and checked his stirrups. Collecting his reins, he let Romefeller walk out and headed for the warm up area. Joe walked behind with Heero and Duo.
 
Several competitors were warming up their horses and Treize found himself a quiet spot to work Romeo around and get the tickle out of his feet. Opting to stay and watch for a few minutes, Heero and Duo found a place near the rails to observe with Joe and stay out of the way of the riders and their horses. Zechs joined them within a couple of minutes, the blonde having gone in search of food for them all.
 
“Zechs, I could kiss you,” Duo murmured in a soft tone as he took the offered burger.
 
“You'd better not,” Heero growled.
 
“Thanks, but no thanks,” Zechs replied. “Besides Heero not being impressed, I think Treize might have something to say about it too.”
 
Grinning, Duo shrugged a shoulder. “Your loss,” he snickered and then turned to his lover. “Don't worry, Heero. I only have eyes for you.”
 
“Good.” Heero took his burger and bit into it, moaning softly as the tastes played over his tongue. He hadn't realized just how hungry he'd been. Now that his part of the competition was over with, he could relax a bit.
 
“Does anyone know how the rest of the countries fared?” asked Joe who had missed the exchanges between the three, mainly because he'd been focused on his charge.
 
“Actually, no,” Duo said around a mouthful of hamburger and salad.
 
“Noin will be out shortly so we can find out then, either that or ask the others when we go back in,” Heero said.
 
“Okay, thanks.” Joe turned his attention back to Treize and the bay.
 
* * *
 
Noin had joined Treize and worked briefly with the rider, Romeo settling as he warmed up and clearing the practice jumps with ease. Noin was pleased with the pair and was quietly confident they would jump a good round.
 
Having wished Treize good luck, Heero and Duo had returned to the stadium and their seats with the rest of the team. Zechs remained outside with Treize, promising he would return to his seat once Treize was was called for his round.
 
Zoe took great delight in letting Heero know that no one else had managed a clear round at that stage. Of the three countries that had followed Heero, the New Zealand rider had finished with four penalties, the Norwegian and French riders with eight each.
 
The second round had just started and the German rider had managed to score four faults at the triple, the rest of his round remaining fault free. The UK rider was currently on course and doing very well. Heero bit his bottom lip as he watched the pair cruising around, clearing jump after jump. The rider took a wide track from six B to seven and the horse sailed cleanly over it.
 
Heero groaned as he watched the pair, he could still feel the jarring in his bones from the awkward jump Shini had put in over that fence!
 
Duo was doing his best not to curse as the pair continued on their way, clear so far and looking like they would also have no penalties. Although it was bad sportsmanship, Duo couldn't help but hope and pray the pair would knock something down.
 
It wasn't to be. The rider cleared the last element and pushed his horse for the finish flags.
 
“Damn!” Duo muttered.
 
Beside him, Heero echoed the sentiment, only silently.
 
“Looks like another clear round,” Duo grumbled. “Why did it have to be the British rider though? Why couldn't it have been one of the other countries? One that's not so close to the gold medal?”
 
Heero shrugged his shoulders. “That's the way it goes I'm afraid.”
 
The commentator spoke then and everyone went silent.
 
“Ladies and Gentlemen, Two time penalties for Roger Wilcox and Summerfield.”
 
Duo was about to bounce out of his seat and yell 'yes!', only just managing to hold onto his exuberance. Heero couldn't help it either, he grinned and gave a loud sigh of relief. To either side of the pair Zoe, Michael, Kyle and Andrew all murmured their own gratitude to the powers that be for the two penalties.
 
“Well, that's gotta suck,” said Zoe with a beaming smile.
 
Duo couldn't help himself, he snickered and shook his head.
 
The Swedish and Italian riders completed their rounds, both finishing with four penalties. The Irish rider had a bit of bad luck, his horse turning too sharply for the triple and refusing the first element. They did clear it on their second attempt but the horse was upset and went on to have another four faults at the wall, giving him a total of eight penalties all together.
 
“It's the American next and then Treize,” Heero informed anyone who cared to listen.
 
“How close is it in the scores?” asked Duo as his eyes followed the rider in the ring salute the judge and then move off to wait for the bell.
 
“I'm not sure, Noin has all the current scores. Hang on a sec.” Heero whispered down the line of their seats and withing moments, Noin had passed a note pad back along to him. He studied the scores for a brief second and then turned to Duo, keeping his voice low as he spoke.
 
“According to Noin's figures at this stage, and remember, there are still the rest of the third riders to go and then the second and first ones, plus they will drop a score as well so this is very sketchy. The British have eighteen faults, we still have fourteen, the German's are on thirty-two, Sweden twenty-eight and the other closest to us right now is America with twenty-four.”
 
Duo blinked as the scores settled into his head. “That means we're in the gold medal position, Heero.”
 
Heero nodded. “But it's early in the competition yet, Duo. There's still a lot of riders to go through and anything can happen. I wouldn't go counting your chickens before they've hatched.”
 
“I know,” Duo replied, “but it's nice to know that thanks to your clear round we're four penalties clear of the opposition.”
 
“That it is.” Heero passed the note pad back down to Noin and returned to watching the competition. The American had just landed over part B of jump six and turned for jump seven. The curse seemed to rear its head again and poles went crashing down. The rider gathered their wits about them and put the four faults to the back of their mind, riding his horse together and concentrating on finishing the rest of the course.
 
Eight was cleared and then the horse sped up for the water jump. They approached at a good hand gallop, the horse pushing off and stretching for the width. All eyes were glued to the steward who raised his flag as the pair landed and headed towards the next jump.
 
“Another four faults,” Duo said and tried to keep the glee from his voice.
 
Heero frowned, but couldn't help the thrill of excitement that coursed down his spine.
 
The American continued on and made no further mistakes, completing his course with eight faults in total.
 
“Our next rider to go is representing Australia; Treize Khushrenada riding Romefeller.”
 
The cheers rang out as Treize entered the arena looking cool, calm and efficient.
 
A blonde whirlwind came up the stairs and along the row of seats, finally flopping down in the one next to Duo; and almost shot out of it again as his backside protested. Duo gave a knowing grin and passed over his sweater. Zechs glared but took the sweater anyway, settling himself a little more slowly this time.
 
“How is he?” Duo asked.
 
“He seems confident, but I could detect nerves hiding underneath.”
 
“Then that's good. Means he will be concentrating hard.”
 
“Ah.”
 
Treize ran a hand down the bay neck as they entered the arena. “Easy, Romeo. This one is an important one, I need you to listen to me at all times and give this round everything we have.”
 
A black tipped ear swiveled back to listen and Romeo gave a snort. He was fit and eager to be jumping. He allowed his master to bring him to a halt and then moved off at a collected canter when asked to do so. He heard the bell ring and fought for his head. That bell meant he could start jumping and Romeo wanted to do just that.
 
“Steady,” Treize soothed, feeling the horse trying to surge forward. He kept his weight in the saddle, hands light on the reins but firm enough to stop the stallion from pulling away from him. He looked for the start flags and turned towards them.
 
The rails loomed ahead, the bay passed through the flags and started the electronic clock. Treize kept the contact, riding his horse forward and then let him go three strides away. Bay hocks drove underneath and Romeo sailed into the air.
 
Treize kept the light contact and turned the horse to the left to line them up for jump two. Romeo eyed up the jump, selected his take off place and then bounded forward. They cleared the fence with ease.
 
“So far, so good,” Zechs muttered.
 
“Romeo's looking well,” Heero commented.
 
“Treize was saying he's been a bit of a handful out in the warm up area,” Zechs replied as his eyes followed his lover in the arena.
 
“That's to be expected. He'll need to be fresh and have that energy if he's to clear all those jumps. It's very taxing I can tell you.”
 
“It would be. Ah, steady.” Zechs continued to watch as Romeo fought for his head and Treize held him in check.
 
“Easy, boy. There's a lot of jumps to go and you don't need to waste your energy in fighting me,” said Treize as he dropped his weight in an attempt to settle the bay.
 
Jump three was similarly cleared, as were jumps four and five. The double lay ahead and Treize knew he needed to have Romeo settled and with his complete attention on his rider if they were to clear both elements and be balanced enough for the turn to the jump that was proving most riders' downfall.
 
Feeling the subtle shift in his rider's weight, Romeo slowed his forward rush, steadied himself and brought his hind end back underneath. The impulsion increased, the hands on the reins keeping him steady before relaxing and giving the signal to lengthen out and jump.
 
Part A was in front of them and Romeo dug deep into the dirt, shoving himself off the ground and into the air. They cleared part A and landed, Treize immediately there with his seat, leg and hands to drive the stallion forward and over the second element.
 
Romeo landed, his hind legs touching down in the same spot his front hooves had just vacated. They sank deep, pushing forth and building the momentum. Two strides and Romeo was again leaping into the air, his front legs tucking up and then uncurling to stretch for the width of the jump. They scraped over the top, rocking the pole but not knocking it to the ground.
 
“Shit!” Zechs ducked his head, unable to watch.
 
“There, there,” Duo soothed and patted the other vet's arm.
 
Heero rolled his eyes.
 
With his mind acutely aware of the tight turn from six to seven, Treize took a slightly longer track. Romeo had such long legs he was unable to turn very quickly and Treize didn't want to run the risk of dropping a pole. He knew the stallion's stride would make up the precious seconds he would lose by taking the longer track so he didn't worry too much over it.
 
“He's going a bit wide,” Zoe stated.
 
“He knows his horse can't make the tighter turn without scoring penalties,” Michael commented. “He's playing it safe and giving his horse room to get his legs back underneath him.”
 
“Smart move,” Kyle said.
 
The stallion listened to the aids and made a sweeping turn, coming into jump seven square on. Muscles strained under brown hide as they worked with ligaments and tendons to push the body into the air and over the jump. Remaining as still as possible, but following the stallion's movement, Treize assisted all he could, a soft sigh of relief escaping as they landed with nothing more than the sound of hooves biting into the dirt.
 
“Good boy,” Treize praised and then fixed his attention on the fast approaching jump eight.
 
Unlike Shinigami, Romefeller had no qualms about jumping hay. He spotted the jump, picked out his take off point and lengthened out his stride.
 
“At least he doesn't try to stop for a snack on the way,” snickered Zoe.
 
Heero chose to ignore the jibe.
 
Romefeller soared over the hay bales and with his ears pricked, continued on around the course. His master's legs against his sides and the easing of the bit in his mouth told Romeo he could speed up a bit and eagerly the stallion stretched out.
 
The water jump was coming up next and with it being a good four meters in length, Treize knew they would need quite a turn of speed to clear it. He would also need to keep a certain amount of impulsion within his horse too.
 
The pair made a sweeping turn from eight and followed the track towards the water. Urging his horse on, Treize maintained his forward position, hands light and body perfectly balanced with his horse.
 
Water.
 
Romeo wasn't all that keen on water, but he knew he had to jump it.
 
The bay flattened out, long legs eating up the distance and then pushing off from the ground to skim across the expanse of water. Front legs stretched and reached for the dry ground the other end, hind hooves clipping the heels of his front feet as Romeo made sure he wasn't about to get any part of his anatomy wet.
 
The steward's flag remained lowered indicating the pair had cleared the obstacle.
 
“Thank god for that,” Zechs sighed.
 
“Not many more to go now Zechs,” Duo said with a gentle squeeze to the other vet's shoulder.
 
“Good, I think I'm about to go into major organ failure.”
 
“Can you do it a little more quietly then, some of us are trying to watch here,” Zoe teased.
 
Zechs gave the woman a look.
 
“It's okay, Zechs. Don't let her get to you, she doesn't understand how harrowing it can be for us poor mortals who have to sit on the sidelines and watch,” Duo soothed and patted the jean clad knee.
 
“Just wait until her horse needs medical treatment,” Zechs huffed.
 
Michael snickered.
 
Back in the ring, Treize was having a battle with the stallion who wanted to continue to gallop. He'd enjoyed being allowed to stretch out and wasn't keen to slow down.
 
“Settle down!” Treize growled as he sat deeper and took a very firm hold on the reins, almost to the point of pulling hard.
 
Noting the tone of disapproval in his master's voice, Romeo thought he'd better start listening and reluctantly slowed down a bit.
 
Jump ten was dead ahead and with only four strides to the take off point, Treize had his work cut out for him in getting the bay balanced again.
 
“Crap, he's going too fast,” Heero mumbled and held his breath.
 
“Slow him down, Treize,” Noin growled quietly.
 
Suddenly spotting the jump ahead, Romeo realized he was traveling a touch too fast and did his best to slow his forward momentum. Unfortunately, he'd left it a little too late. The jump was upon them and Romeo had no choice but to launch into the air. He scrambled his legs and somehow got off the ground.
 
Treize was slightly unseated with the effort Romeo put in, but he did manage to stay with the bay and let the reins slip through his fingers so as not to jag the horse in the mouth.
 
Romeo did his best but caught the top pole with a foreleg as he rose into the air, knocking it from the cups and sending it falling to the ground. He landed safely enough, hooves keeping away form the fallen pole and then cantered away from the jump.
 
“Shit!” Heero muttered as he watched the pole hit the dirt. “Treize isn't going to be too happy about that.”
 
“That's just what he didn't need; or the team either,” Zechs moaned. “He's going to be so annoyed with himself for knocking that down.”
 
“Not much he can do about it now,” said Duo in his philosophical manner. “Guess we had better hope and pray he doesn't knock any more rails down.”
 
“If he does I think Noin will be after his hide,” Zoe whispered and nodded to the team coach who was watching with narrowed eyes. She didn't look particularly happy.
 
“I wouldn't worry too much about Noin, she knows these things can and do happen,” Michael interjected. “It's just the way the sport goes.”
 
“Hear, hear,” Kyle stated. “It's a damn tough course and Heero here is the only one out of all the countries to have gone clear so far. I think we're lucky if we only make four faults.”
 
“That I know is true, but if I know Treize, he will be cursing himself for the next few days,” Zechs muttered, knowing his lover wouldn't be at all pleased with himself for allowing the rail to fall and would no doubt be the one to have to try to persuade his lover that it was just one of those things.
 
“They're almost at the hedge,” Heero interrupted quietly and everyone turned their attention back to the ring.
 
“Dammit!” Treize cursed and then berated himself for not having had his horse under better control. He'd made the same mistake in their first round but thought he'd be able to slow the bay enough in the second round to not make that mistake again. He put the faults behind him and concentrated on getting the stallion back together and completing the rest of the course without further faults.
 
He sat down hard, not at all amused by the bay and took a very strong hold on the reins. He used his seat, legs and weight to push the animal together, hands checking the forward movement and keeping the bay steady whilst building the impulsion.
 
Romeo listened to his master's aids and did exactly as he was told. The rap of his cannon bone against the hard pole had stung a little and he didn't want a repeat. His master's voice also let him know he hadn't been very good and Romeo felt a little guilty. He was the type of horse that liked to please, enjoyed his jumping and the praise that came with it when he'd been good.
 
Keeping his horse together, Treize rode at jump eleven, the hedge, his mind concentrating hard as he would need to make a left turn afterward and have his horse full of impulsion and completely balanced if they were to clear the triple. There was no way Treize intended to make any further mistakes.
 
Keeping Romeo on a tight rein, he drove the bay together and in the last three strides, let him go.
 
The stallion leapt into the air and arced over the jump, keeping his legs well away from any poles. He knew he was in the 'bad books' and did his best to obey his rider's every aid. They landed safely and Romeo settled immediately, turning when he felt the pressure applied to the bit and his right flank.
 
The turn was smooth, balance regained and muscles flexed as they drove the big bay forward. The impulsion was there, the stallion shortening his stride and pushing his hocks further underneath himself as his master asked. He could see the three elements of the triple ahead and whilst he was keen to jump them, he obediently waited for his master to give him the signal.
 
Treize's eyes never wavered from the jump ahead. He'd picked out his line perfectly and brought the bay dead center of the first element. He shifted forward in his saddle, took his weight on his knees and then stirrups as he gave the bay more rein. The horse lengthened out his stride and prepared to jump.
 
Hocks came under the body and pushed the forehand into the air, the hind legs following the flow of the front end. They sailed over the jump, Treize lowering his weight back into the saddle and taking the contact back as they landed. His legs were again against the animal's sides, driving the hocks underneath and keeping the impulsion in those hind quarters where it was most needed.
 
Romeo took one stride and was airborne again. The stallion had pushed off hard, the second element being a spread fence and requiring more effort to clear. He gave a soft grunt as his front hooves hit the dirt and took the impact of landing. Hind hooves followed and the bay listened to the aids he was getting from his rider, obeying them immediately.
 
Another safe landing and Treize was there again with his seat and legs, pushing the horse forward into the bridle. Two strides and they were at the third and final element of the triple; and this one was really wide.
 
Treize gave his horse all the assistance he could. His body flowed forward, staying in perfect harmony with the bay, hands sliding up the neck to allow the forward movement of the head and neck whilst still retaining a light contact with the stallion's mouth.
 
Romeo pushed off with all he had, rump muscles strained with the effort of propelling the large body up and forwards. He reached for the other side, front legs unfurling and stretching out to the rapidly approaching ground. Bone, muscle, tendons and ligaments all contracted, stretched and jarred as they bore the full weight of the stallion and his rider. Then the hind hooves were there and the back end was pushing away from the jump.
 
“Beautifully ridden,” Zoe murmured.
 
The others all had to agree, even Noin was wearing a smile at the pairs' performance over the triple.
 
“That will boost his confidence a bit and make up for the fallen rail at ten,” Heero whispered.
 
Zechs just wheezed. Right now he was having a little difficulty in breathing.
 
Duo was concerned for the other vet and decided if the breathing hadn't settled soon, he'd go searching for an inhaler of some sort! The blonde did look a little on the pale side.
 
“Two to go,” Michael stated.
 
“Two more?” Zechs whispered to Duo, his eyes wide.
 
Duo nodded. “Yeah, two to go.”
 
“Fuck! I don't think I'll survive.”
 
Duo snickered. “Yes, you will. I can go hunt up a medic for you if you wish? I guess it must be a bit of a strain on that heart of yours to watch this sort of thing at your age...”
 
“My age?” Zechs growled. “I'm only a couple of years older than you, Duo!” Zechs snapped, his voice indignant.
 
“Ah, but even a couple of years can make a difference.” Duo gave an evil grin. “First it's the shortness of breath, then the ticker starts to play up and before you know it, the brain has deteriorated too.”
 
“I take it that's the voice of experience talking?” Zechs retaliated.
 
Duo's eyebrows shot up into his hairline - he didn't have a comeback for that one!
 
“Good boy, Romeo,” Treize praised the bay and took a second to pat the stallion's neck. “Two more to go and we're home safe. Please let us go clear over these.”
 
The stallion swiveled back an ear to listen and felt pleased by the pats he got. He was getting tired now but continued to plod on.
 
The wall came into view, a formidable looking jump of red brick with a row of white upon the top. Gamely, Romeo cantered on towards it. He lengthened out his stride again, judged the height of the jump and then sprang into the air.
 
Treize knew his horse was tired and he didn't ask for anything more than the bay was capable of giving. They soared into the air and just scraped over the top of the wall. Romeo could feel the brush of the top row of bricks against the hairs on his belly and he twisted his hind quarters to make sure he didn't knock anything.
 
They landed clean and cantered towards the last fence.
 
“One to go. Hang in there, Romeo,” Noin muttered. Her experienced eye could see the bay getting tired and she willed the pair on.
 
Gathering his reins up, Treize pushed his horse together as best he could, trying to build some more impulsion. Romeo rose to the occasion, finding a last bit of energy hiding somewhere and gave the last jump all he had.
 
The leap was a little awkward and Treize found himself fighting to keep his balance and stay with his horse. He grabbed a chunk of mane to stabilize himself, careful not to pull on the reins as he regained his balance.
 
Somehow Romefeller managed to get over the gate and landed with a tired grunt. Treize gave him his head and urged him through the finish flags to stop the clock. He wasn't game to look up and see if they had any time penalties.
 
“Four faults for Treize Khushrenada riding Romefeller and representing Australia,” the commentator announced.
 
The arena erupted into cheers and applause.
 
Heero gave a cheer, Michael and Zoe applauded loudly, Kyle looked pleased as did Noin. Duo couldn't help the grin from ear to ear whilst Zechs crumpled in his seat with a loud sigh of relief.
 
“Please tell me he doesn't have to go out there and do it all again?” Zechs said, looking to Heero and Duo, his blue eyes pleading.
 
For a moment, Duo contemplated teasing the other vet, but then decided against it. Zechs had suffered enough.
 
Heero stepped in before Duo could say anything anyway. “No, Zechs. That's it, he won't have to jump again; at least I'm pretty sure he wont.”
 
“Thank god for that,” Zechs groaned. “I really don't think I could take much more of this if he did.”
 
“Aww, Zechs. It's not that bad,” Duo chided.
 
“Say's he who has bitten his fingernails to his elbows and is most likely going to suffer from a severe case of hairballs.”
 
Knowing he was running out of smart replies, Duo changed the subject. “I think we should be getting outside to congratulate Treize.”
 
Zechs was out of his seat in a flash and heading for the exit, a slight limp in his gait.
 
Duo snickered and picked up his sweater from Zechs' chair and joining the rest of the team in their exit to congratulate Treize. “I think I'd better hang onto this, I have a feeling he's going to be needing it again after tonight.”
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...