Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gone In 60 Seconds ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
29 Dec 2000

Type : epic, fusion, AU
Teaser: Legendary car booster Heero Yuy thought he'd left the fast lane behind -- until he is forced out of retirement in a do-or-die effort to save his kid sister from the wrath of an evil monster! But with speed to burn and attitude to spare, Heero hastily re-assembles his old crew and floors it in a full throttle race to pull off the ultimate car heist: 50 exotic beauties in 24 hours -- and the cops are already on to them!
Spoilers : Gone In 60 Seconds 2000 version
Warnings : language
Pairings : 1+2, 3+4, 6+9
Rating : PG-13
Disclaimer : I don't own anything. I am poor... want a nickle?
Feedback : Please please please!!!!





Gone In 60 Seconds by Willow
Chapter 7: Old Friends


"Don't look at me!" Donny yelled to the girl in the driver's seat. "Look at the people next to you!"

The car swirved in traffic, cars honked and avoided them. "That's-- turn the wheel!!!!" He cried out as the Chrysler Le Sabre nearly plowed into a Ford F-150. "Pull over! Pull her the hell over!" Donny said, bracing himself against the dash board.

"Asshole!" someone yelled as they passed by.

"Learn how to drive!" someone else shouted.

Donny sighed as the car came to a halt. "Don't touch nothing. Just--" He turned to look at the girl. "You can't negotiate turns. You can't signal properly. You can't maintain speed." He looked out at the parking space. "You can't parallel park. Hell, you can't drive, honey."

The girl looked about to cry, but he went on. "Shit, I can't swim. I know I can't. So you know what I do? I stay my black ass outta the pool." The girl let out a keening wail. Donny looked at her shocked (and in pain), "All right now, just--"

His cellphone rang. "Hello? Oh! Heero! Hey, how are you? Sure, sure. When? Okay."

"All right. Thanks a lot," Heero said, putting the phone back on the hook. He gave Howard a 'thumbs up' as he circled 'Donny Asterwick'. "Donny."

Donny climbed out of the car, "Just take her around the block a couple of times, okay?" he told the girl. "All right."

She backed out of the parking space and into a red and white '78 El Camino.

"Hello. I'm calling for Frankie Fish," Heero said.

" 'Frank's dead, man. Yeah, he got scragged.' "

"I'm sorry," Heero said, hanging up the phone and marking Frankie off the list.

"Uh, yeah, I'm looking for Henry Santoro," Howard said.

" 'He went down to Florida with that asshole Frankie Fish,' " the woman said, " 'You see him, you tell him I want my money.' "

"Yes, ma'am. I'm looking for Dan and Mikey," Howard said.

" 'Both of 'em up to Chino. Doin' a nickel apiece,' " the manager replied. (1)

"Now I'm not so sure I want to tell you who this is," Heero said into the phone, his voice cold.

"Yeah, try it asshole," Howard said, slamming his phone down.

"You sound very busy right now," Heero said, as the phone moaned in his ear. "You sound very, very busy." He put the phone down on the base. "Whew. There's only two names left," he told Howard.

"Yeah? Let me see," Howard said, coming over to look at the paper: Sphinx and Sway. "Those two? No way."

"There's no one else," Heero said.

"Are you sure?" Howard asked him. In respons Heero picked up the phone.

"You tell him," a skinny, balding man in a lab coat said.

"Listen, why should I--" his associate replied.

"Come one!" skinny hissed.

"You were the one who answered the phone!"

"Oh all right, fine, fine."

"But how's a guy who can't speak gonna take a phone call?"

"You've got a call!" skinny cried.

Trowa walked over to the phone, setting his lunch aside.

" 'Sphinx, is that you? Press a button if it's you,' " Heero said on the other end.

Trowa pressed a key.

Heero walked into the auto shop at 1648 San Fernando.

"Sway, you set up this break job?" someone asked.

"Yeah," a tenor voice replied. "He warped all four rotors. Must've been ridin' those brakes like an old lady."

"That's nice," the guy replied.

Heero looked down at the slender legs sticking out from underneath a black Ferrari Testorosa.

"Sounds like the left bank's running lean," Heero said to the legs.

Duo rolled out from under the car, a small smile on his face. They stared at each other for a moment, then Duo lifted his hand and pointed at the door. "The service department's over there," he said, then rolled back under the car.

"Can I talk to you?" Heero said.

"Talk to me? Yeah, sure, talk."

"Thing of it is, I came back because--"

"Do you know what time it is?" Duo asked.

Heero looked down at his watch. "It's 5:30. I came back because--"

Duo rolled out from under the car again. "I gotta go. I'm late for work."

Heero reached down to give him a hand up and Duo handed him a fanbelt. Rolling off the creeper and got to his feet.

Heero turned to look at him. Confusion marred his brow. "You're at work."

"I got two jobs," Duo said opening the water can and taking a swallow. "I have discovered that you have to work twice as hard when it's honest." He took off to change clothes.

Heero followed him to the bar where he was working nights.

"Hey, Sway, can I get another shot?" some bleach blond kid asked.

"Yep," Duo chimed, grabbing a bottle.

"Still lookin' amazing," Heero said as Duo passed him.

Duo flipped a pitcher and turned to look at him while it filled with beer, "While you, look like a bible salesman."

Heero stuck out his hand, "You're healed."

Duo grinned at him.

"Can we improvise a little bit?" Heero asked.

Still grinning, Duo said, "Sure. What do you have in mind? Wanna get a little crazy? There's a Cutlass 442 in the back we can strip down and shine the hood," Duo said raising his eyes brows suggestively. "What do you say?"

"Uh, that's not what I had in mind," Heero said, as much as he hated to let the opportunity pass.

"No?" Duo said, giving him a fake forlorn look.

"It's about my sister."

Duo turned to pick up some tabs.

"Len's in trouble," Heero told him.

"In trouble?" Duo asked.

"Took a boost, and she blew it."

"Shit." Duo turned to look at him, his violet eyes glittering, "And you got some Italians?"

"Five or six," Heero said, enticing him.

"Right."

"It's 50 ladies in 24 hours, 200,000 dollars," he said to the longhaired boy.

"Well, I've cleaned up," Duo said, turning to go back to work.

He followed him back to the bar. "I understand. I hate to even come here and ask--"

"Sway, can I have that drink now, please?" blondie asked.

Heero slammed his hand on the counter and the boy promptly shut up. He looked at Duo, "I had to ask a few of the others too, and I feel bad about it, but--"

"But you had no choice. You had to come here--" Duo said, turning to get the boy his drink.

"Pretty much." He turned to the blond kid. "I'm sorry."

"It's all right," the boy replied.

Duo returned with a shot glass and the bottle. He looked at Heero and shook his head, "Look, I'd love to help Len, but I-I'm not into the life anymore."

"Well, that's a good thing," Heero said.

"Yeah," Duo chocked out.

"I'm glad to see you're doing well."

Duo choked down his emotions, "Sorry, I can't help you."

Heero nodded and turned to the blond kid, "I'd like to pay for your drink."

"That's fine," kid said, then looked at Duo, "How 'bout that drink?"

Duo drunk down the glass, "Yeah, how 'bout that drink?"




------------------------------------------- -------------------------------------

End Chapter 7: Old Friends

Notes:
(1) Not like it really matters (or that ya'll couldn't figure it out), but: They're both in prison doing five years each.

Willow -- Please send feedback to the author at: xxacidburnxx_1x2@yahoo.com