Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Gundam Diaries 2 ❯ Chapter 3

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Gundam Diaries 2 ~ Heero 3/??
Author: Makoto Sagara
Series: Gundam Wing
Archive: fanfiction.net, afallenangel.net/makotosagara/, mediaminer.org, Foreverfandom.net, makochanupdates.livejournal.com; anywhere else, please ask
Category: Angst, Action
Pairings: 2x5, 3x4, 1x? D+?
Rating: T
Warnings: Shonen ai, language, angst, sap, slightly AU
Disclaimers: I make no money, so suing is pointless. If you think I own GW, then you need to see someone. I have the number to a nice doctor... Oh, SALLY!
Author's Notes: I'm on a roll! Someone stop me. I can't remember the last time I worked so quickly on a fic like this… Unless you count the first time I worked on GD's original chapters. God - that was such fast work. Anyhow, enjoy! It's Heero's turn!
Symbols: _blah_ emphasized thought
*~*~* Major change of scene
*~~~* Minor change of scene
August 4th, AC 195 10:55:13
The war is over. The war that consumed my life, and those of the other Gundam pilots, has ended, with more casualties than I would care to imagine. Treize Khushrenada and Relena Peacecraft are also dead. Relena…
It's strange. With her gone, I thought that I would be able to have some semblance of a real life without looking over my shoulder, searching for a pink limousine, cringing when a girl says my name, trying to smother the instinct to reach for my gun. However, I feel… hollow.
The other pilots, after my failed attempt to kiss Duo (what the hell brought that on?) all dispersed. After Khushrenada's death, Chang disappeared for a while. They spent weeks searching for him, but he suddenly turned up and he and Duo went to live on Peacemillion. Winner and Barton have begun an overhaul of WEI, which was suffering since the death of Quatre's father. And myself? That's another story.
I met up with J and the other doctors, determined to go underground and forget everything. Since then, I've been carefully monitoring our old communication networks, silently dismantling everything. I left the email servers for last, letting only Duo know that they were going down finally. I knew he'd tell the others. What I hadn't expected was a reply from him.
To: Wing@madscientistj.net
From: Shiniboy@Sweepers.co.vi
Date: August 2nd, AC 195 00:34:23
Subject: Thanks
`Ro, look, I'm not going to apologize about the gun thing. You really pissed me off. Fei too. I think even Q and Tro were upset. Sometimes it's hard to tell with Tro-man, but oh well. I'm glad you're safe. Q's been worried. I passed on your email to them. Guess you're not going to let us know where you are or what you're really doing. Just remember that the others care about you. I mean, I care too, since we always were good friends, but don't read more into that than what I just said.
Have you thought about what you're going to do once you're done helping the Doctors? Fei and I are thinking about school. Eh, I think it'll be good, and `sides, Howie's pushing it.
I'll pass on your message the next time I hear from Une. Take care and stay in touch, `kay?
~ Duo
---End message---
It's just so him. Yes, Quatre and Trowa have been sending emails back and forth to me, and I reply because I know that if I don't, they will try and track me down. I've finished with all the communications work, and I was wondering what I could do with myself once I was finished. I never even thought of school, but it seems the other four haven't forgotten that we're all supposed to be teenagers… Maybe… It shouldn't be difficult. I could make up transcripts and a new identity for myself… God, how many times did I do that during the war? How many times did the others do that?
There are a few really good schools in New York, private, so I won't have to deal with too many problems with other students and the fact that I'm Japanese. I'd practically be anonymous… The idea has merits. I'll discuss it with J and see what he thinks. He told me that I've been distracted and my work, while still the best that any human being can do, is spiritless. I'm not sure what that means. All I can think of is what Odin told me as a child - “Don't forget to be a person, kid. No one else is going to make you whole unless you make an effort to be at least half.” I still don't understand what he means.
Now that I think about it, New York is close enough to the UESN senate and home offices. That would allow me to keep an eye on Marquise while he adjusts to his new role as the Vice-Foreign Minister. I'm not sure that that was the best idea, but in light of the current situation, I can see how he'd be an acceptable alternative. The only other one I can see, but definitely not working, would be Dorothy Catalonia.
I'm so tired for some reason. I haven't been getting enough exercise, I guess. All I've done for weeks is eat, sleep, bathe, and work.
As for Une's offer of a place in the ranks of the Preventers, I'm not interested. Wing Zero is still sitting in the hanger of the Maguanacs' base in Frankfort. It can stay there, as far as I'm concerned. Let all the ex-OZ and Alliance people she has working for her do her dirty work.
To: Q.R. Winner <quatre.r.winner@WEI.com>
From: H. Yuy <heero.yuy@email.com>
Date: August 4th, AC195 0456
Subject: (none)
Winner, thank you for your last email. I'm glad to see that you and Barton are settling well in Egypt. I've heard that the marriage negotiations are taking a turn for the worse, but if anyone can handle it without losing their self-control, it will be you. Remember, they are not enemies, just bigots. You'll be fine.
No, I am not joining the Preventers, as that is the last thing I am interested in doing. And, yes, I have put some thought into what I will do now that I am done working for J and the others. However, I will not be telling you that until I am settled. Suffice it to say that I will still communicate with you and the others. Tell Barton that I said hello.
Yes, I heard the news about Marquise. I'm not sure who else could have taken over for Relena besides yourself, and you have entirely too much to do to even consider it, if your last email was any indication.
Please ask the Maguanacs to keep Wing Zero with them in Frankfort. I really don't want to think about my Gundam at the time.
If there is anything else that you need, or want to discuss, you can reach me at this new email address.
~ Heero
---End message---
Hopefully, that email will be enough to keep Winner happy for a while. I know that he will probably send me another email soon, detailing how things are going, but I just can't seem to tell him to stop sending them. I guess that Duo was not the only friend I made during the war… We *did* spend quite a while in Sanc after the incident with the Zero system, even if we had to be around Relena. Of course, that was when he met up with Catalonia… Hm… Perhaps that was a miscalculation on my part, but I couldn't think of another place to take him while he was in that condition without trouble from authorities…
I have some research and some more pressing work to do. I will make an update when time permits.
~ 01