Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Heero Yuy and the Eye of Horus ❯ Chapter 10

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
+ Title: The Eye of Horus - Part 10
(Full Title: Heero Yuy and the Eye of Horus)
+ Author: Vinyl Koneko (Emily), roguegirl@att.net
+ Rating: PG-13
+ Couplings: 1x2, 3x4, 13+2, R+1, 5xS, 11+13
+ Warnings: action, language, angst, romance, death, supernatural powers
+ Archive: Want it? Take it. Just give me credit, please.
+ Disclaimer: I don't own any of these characters. Don't own Indiana Jones, either. Both belong to something bigger than I could ever comprehend. ^_^
+ Comments: //Lyrics// and *emphasis* and 'thought' and [flashback], some may not be used in this fic...it's just a heads-up. And keep in mind that just because this is Indiana Jones Gundam Wing-a-mized, it's still in the late 1930s, but I got rid of the Nazis and pretty much all of WWII in general because, you know, Hitler and Treize as heads of power in the same fic might get messy. ::shrug::

*~**~*
Cairo, Egypt
*~**~*

It had been necessary to leave the Chang residence as early as possible the following morning. Sally had gone into the city and caught wind of OZ soldiers discussing a small aircraft performing an unauthorized landing in one of the suburban districts and that the area was to be scouted by troops around noon. Duo had been the last to wake up, but they were all awake early enough to take some final notes, say their goodbyes to the Changs, and leave well before noontime.

The flight to Cairo was longer than Heero would have liked. They were all eager to get started in the search for the missing ankh, so they had to find things to keep their minds busy. Trowa was busy enough with the actual piloting of the plane, and Duo had made it clear that just because they were back together it didn't mean that they were as *together* has they had been before. Heero felt his face redden in recollection.

When Sally had announced that there were only two beds and Duo suggested they'd have no problems coming up with arrangements, Heero's mind had automatically come to the conclusion that he and Duo would be sharing one of the beds. The longhaired man had a different idea in mind, apparently, because Duo made it extremely clear that he would be sleeping by himself. Heero, disgruntled, had settled on the couch. He needed to focus on the mission, not on his love life.

Cairo had been easier to get into. The high tourism rate and the fact that all the soldiers were shadowing General Khushrenada meant that no one was watching the airports. Heero didn't bother keeping his or his comrades' arrival in Cairo hidden. OZ was going to find out sooner or later. Sooner just meant that Khushrenada was going to get more territorial and make sure Heero stayed clear of his dig site, which was wrong in the wrong location, anyway, so being kept out didn't hinder their progress much.

Currently they were trying to get through the bazaar in an attempt to reach the Maganac Corp's headquarters, but Duo kept disappearing to look at various booths. Normally this wouldn't have bothered Heero, but he knew that Duo had been to Cairo before, so the sights, sounds, and smells were nothing different to his boyfriend. Combined with the fact that every single vendor on the street knew Duo by name led to small talk about family, business, and other not particularly pressing matters. Heero came to the conclusion that it would take them three days to get through the bazaar at the rate they were going.

"Squab-on-a-stick, good sirs?"

Duo wrinkled his nose and stuck out his tongue in an expression of disgust. "Ah, no thanks. Gotta cut down on the fledgling pigeon shish-ka-bobs, if you know what I mean. Where I come from that's the same as eating a rat, you know..." He blinked at the vendor. "Ghaalib? What are you doing selling *squab*? Last time I was here you were selling junk and pawning it off as antiques."

The small, heavyset man chuckled. "Duo, squab is easier to get the tourists to buy. More profit this way. Children require food for some reason..."

'Not this again. We're going to be here all week!' "Duo we have to get moving."

"Oh, how rude of me! Ghaalib, this is Heero. I've told you about Heero, right?"

Heero didn't want to stick around and hear what Ghaalib had heard from Duo, so he wrapped his hand around the other man's braid and started to lead him off through the bazaar. Only when they cleared the town square did Heero let go, and Duo rubbed the back of his head, glaring dangerously.

"Do that again, Yuy, and you'll get a first hand experience of what I did to those OZ scumbags back in Sydney."

Heero leveled his gaze at Duo's. "We don't have all the time in the world. Do you want OZ to find the Eye?" He continued walking without waiting for an answer.

"Nice to know you two are getting along," Trowa remarked.

"Doctor Yuy!" a voice suddenly called out, causing Heero to turn around. He found himself face-to-shoulder with an extremely tall Arab man.

"Rashiid," Heero greeted. "We were looking for you."

"We were watching for you since Master Quatre said you'd be arriving."

"Is Quatre here?" Trowa asked quickly, ignoring the looks his sudden outburst got from the people walking by on the street.

"Master Quatre said he should be able to make it within the week, once he finishes with his other duties."

Heero didn't notice the sudden stillness of the road they were on. "What's OZ been up to in Cairo?" He felt a tug on his arm. "Duo, what is it?"

The longhaired man pointed off in the distance. "I think that should answer your question." He followed Duo's finger to see a jeep holding half a dozen soldiers coming their way. Every single one of them was armed with an automatic rifle mounted on the roll bar of the vehicle.

Without another thought, Heero pulled out the gun he had grown used to keeping in a holster at his side and fired three shots at the jeep's front driver-side tire. They connected, exploding the tire from the rim and causing the vehicle to go swerving into the outside wall of a clay building.

Rashiid started off down a side alley. "This way!" he called, running from the OZ soldiers who couldn't seem to decide whether they should run after the archaeologist or put out the fire in their engine.

"You know what, Heero?" Duo yelled as they ran. "Why do I always feel like I'm in for more than I bargained for whenever I'm around you?"

"It's in his blood," Trowa couldn't help but comment as they reached the Maganac Corp headquarters.

*~**~*

End Part 10