Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Secrets ❯ Hidden Secrets 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Hidden Secrets
Part Three


By Valandra



A/N: Hello all! First let me apologize for the delay in posting. I was sick and then the computer when down for a week. *grrr* But I warned you before that chapters would be slow in the coming. *Mutters* It's also Zorra's fault for getting me started on the Harry Potter books.

[Zorra: HEY!! To be a good beta, you need to be well rounded.]

Anyways, I'd like to thank Cass, Relwarc, Dreamweaver, Dyna, Phoenix of Blood Red Mars, Anna May, and everyone else that's read and reviewed! Also I'd like to commend you on your bravery for continuing ^_~. *chuckles* I'm honored by your interest and I hope to keep it.

Just a reminder, I use telepathy in this story. Not everyone has it and only certain characters can communicate with each other thus far. You shouldn't have any problems understanding when it's being used now. I'm sorry for any past confusion this may have caused. Here's a guide to help you understand what's what:
Thoughts are in (Italics)
Telepathy talk is in (~)
Normal talk is in ("")
And the song lyrics are in (*)

Many thanks to Zorra and Cousin D for their help and encouragement throughout the writing of this chapter. Also, thanks to Zorra for getting me the lyrics for the song. And for the CD name, and for all the other things you've helped me with, big and small. ^_^

[Zorra: Aw I feel so special now *blush* thanks!]

Disclaimer: I do not own the song "The Dragon Lies Bleeding," by Hammerfall, or "Trolls in the Dark," by Rhapsody. However, I take credit for the band title and all that goes with it, as well as all OCs, unless otherwise stated. So please don't steal my idea without first letting me know, thanks.
www.hammerfall.net/download/download.php?file=hammerfall_the_dr agon_lies_bleeding.ra&filetype=ra
That link will take you to Hammerfall's offical website, where you can download the song.

[Zorra: Finally she's done talking *Ducks* jk. Now on with the story!]



Quatre had been sitting at his laptop working on the report for almost two hours, getting more frustrated with each passing quarter hour, before he snapped. ~Trowa! Will you please wake up?! I could use a hand down here, I only have one!~

Upstairs, Trowa was jolted awake, and was on his knees beside the bed before his eyes had time to focus on the floor. His heart was beating twice as fast compared to a minute ago, and his senses where on high alert. A sense of growing impatience and frustration was growing in his mind and it took him a moment to calm down and realize they weren't coming from him.

~Quatre?~ Trowa questioned, sounding confused and groggy, having let himself relax enough for the normal effects of just waking up to assail him. ~What's wrong?~

Quatre paused a moment before he responded, sounding a little calmer, though not much. ~Will you please come down here and help me type up our mission report? I've only got one hand to type with and it's tripling the amount of time I'm spending on it, which is more time re-living that mission than I planned to for the rest of my life.~

Trowa could almost see Quatre's shudder. ~Of course. Why didn't you wake me up earlier Quatre? Just how long have you been up and working on that?~ Trowa asked as he pulled on a pair of light gray sweat pants and a matching sweatshirt with hood.

Down stairs Quatre rubbed tiredly at his eyes and took a hesitant sip of his cold tea. ~A few hours. Wu Fei came down an hour ago to get some food and drink for him and Heero; they're working on their report in their room.~

Trowa entered the hallway and noticed the light coming from under Heero and Wu Fei's door. He glanced behind him at Duo's room as he walked towards the stairs, a confused look entering his eyes before he looked to the empty bathroom. He took one more glance at Duo's door before descending the stairs and joining Quatre at the laptop. "Is Duo up yet? His door was closed and light off, but I thought I saw a dim flickering light coming from under his door."

"Hmm? Oh, he went out for a walk a couple hours ago. Actually, I believe he was the first one up. There was coffee and hot water ready when I got to the kitchen and a load of laundry in the dryer. Duo left the basement to go get it just before it went off and took it to his room. Actually, I had thought it was Wu Fei before Duo joined me in the kitchen. He said he was going for a walk after that."

Trowa led Quatre to the kitchen in hopes of first calming the blond down and getting his mind off of the past mission, and second, to find something to eat. He did just wake up, and nobody ate before bed the other day.

"And he hasn't come back yet?"

"No."

"How was he?" Trowa asked, concern barely noticeable in his voice to all but those that knew him; he poured himself some coffee and made Quatre some more tea in a fresh cup while he waited for a response. He then pulled a loquot out of the refrigerator for his breakfast.

"He seemed to be fine, and said he was too. He was in long pants and sleeves so I couldn't see any bandages or wrappings; his cloths didn't catch or bunch. I had thought he was hugging his arm in the car last night, but I guess he was just cold. If he had hurt his arm enough to hug it close for protection, he wouldn't have been able to climb the basement ladder or carrying laundry up to his room without showing signs of fatigue or stress."

They were walking back to the laptop while Quatre spoke. They were both sitting on the couch in front of the stairs, the laptop on the coffee table in front of them, as Quatre finished. Quatre shrugged his shoulders, and winced at the movement of his left shoulder.

"Quatre?"

Quatre sighed, resisted the urge to rub his shoulder. "You wouldn't believe how many times I've jerked and jarred my shoulder, or tried to use it to type. At this rate it'll be swollen to twice this size by evening." Quatre saw the question in Trowa's eyes before he could voice it. "Yes, I have been using the heating pad, but though it's helping somewhat with the pain it doesn't help with the swelling. The ice helps with the swelling, but makes the muscles stiff. I can't seem to find a balance.

And considering how…irritated you were when you woke me up…. I wish you had just woken me when you got up; then you wouldn't have tried to use your arm so much. We're not at war anymore; we don't have to put up with every inconvience, minor or major, to complete our objective at all cost. I know you know that, but you also have a hard time with asking others to do things in your place.

"You know, I left that sling on the nightstand last night so you'd use it today. You should have stopped once it started hurting Koi. We don't have any pain meds. that would do you any good."

"I know," Quatre sighed. "I just kept forgetting; I was so involved with typing the report, getting it over with, that I guess I was thinking Wu Fei could just heal it later. But I know he can't cast anything right now."

Trowa nodded slightly before replying quietly, "Duo would notice, and we can't risk such a thing. Most humans forgot about our kind long ago, and we must keep it that way. It's for the best."

"Right. If we knew how he'd take it we might have been able to tell him during the war, saving us all a lot of frustration. I wish I was wrong about him, but the feeling, the presence I get off him is human; you and Wu Fei both agreed."

"Don't worry so much about it. Duo's human and better off not knowing that other races, those that aren't human, live in this realm.

"Now scoot over and let me finish typing the report." I do wonder though, if we don't know how Duo would react to the knowledge of our kinds' existence, then how well do we really know him?

****


"Confirmation of report logged, received."

"Finally," relieved sigh. Wu Fei stood and stretched before heading towards the bedroom door. "So what do you want first, food; shower; or find out if Duo's sent his report?"

Heero cracked his neck before joining Wu Fei in the hall. "Food sounds good, and I am curious about Duo's mission parameters and details, but I think we need a shower more than anything right now."

Wu Fei nodded his agreement as they walked to the bathroom. The only cleaning any of them did last night was of their wounds and hands. After sleeping for most the day and then sitting and typing near three hours, both were feeling rather grungy.

Downstairs Trowa and Quatre heard the shower starting and acknowledged it subconsciously, though they kept all of their attention on the screen and report in front of them. Nor did their attention waver when the two refreshed and relaxed looking pilots cam downstairs an hour later. The two Asians paused for a moment, amused, before continuing into the kitchen.

"Wonder how long they've been at it." Heero mused out loud as he searched through the food supply. Something bland. We've not eaten a meal in the last thirty-six hours.

"Rice and milk sounds good." Wu Fei waited for Heero's nod before continuing. "I don't want to think about it. Quatre was awake and working on it before the rest of us; I imagine they're close to being done." He went to sit down at the bar to watch Heero set the rice to boil.

They ate in silence, joined by Trowa and Quatre mid-way through their meal. Nobody mentioned the reports while they ate. In-fact, none spoke until Trowa started to gather the dirty dishes to wash them. When Wu Fei moved to help Heero glared and pushed him back into his seat.

~I'll help. You don't need to be standing in one place, it'll aggravate your sprain.~

Wu Fei huffed as he was pushed back down. ~I managed to get out of there with it. It's fine. You know that it'll go stiff if I don't use it.~

~I didn't say you shouldn't be using it. I said you shouldn't be standing on it in one place for an extended time; that'll make it get stiff even quicker.~

Quatre looked at Wu Fei, who was glaring at the back of Heero's head, then to Heero, who was rinsing and drying the dishes Trowa washed, before heaving a sigh. "Will you two please stop arguing?"

Heero just kept rinsing and drying silently, Wu Fei stared out the window in the back door, and Trowa hid a smirk. Quatre smiled slightly and rolled his eyes.

Wu Fei broke the silence first. "Any sign of Duo?"

"Hmm? Not recently." Quatre replied, sipping at his tea.

"He's still sleeping?" Shock and something like worry laced Heero's words.

"Oh no, no, he's not asleep. Actually, he was up before any of us. He left for a walk while I was eating breakfast, about four or five hours ago. I've not seen him since."

"Hmm." Wu Fei stayed silent, but looked to be in thought.

Heero just snorted. "The baka's avoiding his report. He's going to put it off to the last minute; he's not changed at all." The last was tinged with amusement, tempered by what might be called fondness.

Quatre chuckled with the rest of them. "I thought the same when he left."

Wu Fei raised an eyebrow. "And you didn't say anything to him before he left?"

"I was kinda preoccupied with the fact that I could see no signs of injury on him," he responded a little testily, still somewhat stressed.

They all looked thoughtful; Heero and Wu Fei's surprise could be seen on their faces.

"You mean…." Wu Fei was cut off by a beeping sound coming from the living room. The four where in there instantly without conscious thought.

Quatre opened his laptop and accessed his new mail. It was from H.Q., Une herself in fact. And it was marked urgent.

Quatre opened the message and the others read over his shoulder:

Some of the assassins are unaccounted for, number as yet unknown.
There is evidence of escape other than yours. We believe they are
regrouping before coming after you. Be on guard. Arrangements for
relocation in progress, will be in contact soon.
Watch Yourselves.

Une



"You said Duo went for a walk. Did he say where he was going?" Heero's eyes had a calculating look to them, trying to figure out how far Duo could have gotten by now.

"No. He left through the back door." Quatre said as he typed a response, acknowledging the message to let Une know it was received.

Heero ran upstairs to get his and Wu Fei's cell phones while Wu Fei got their shoes. They were both out the back door in less than three minutes, following the dirt path, hoping that it would lead to Duo.

~Quatre and Trowa are setting up surveillance equipment around the perimeter of the house, and they both have their cells on and with them.~

~Good.~

~He's also not getting an answer from Duo's cell. It's going directly to voice mail.~

~Baka! He probably turned it off.~

After running for near fifteen minutes they found some scuffing on the path, giving the impression that Duo had started to jog at that point. They stopped to look at the prints long enough to learn the prints were a few hours old.

They kept running for another hour and a half, checking in with Quatre, who was staying near the laptop incase of updates, every half hour. The terrain started getting hilly, and after another hour some of the hills developed steep rocky drop offs.

The two slowed down near the top of one such hill, made steeper by a minor rockslide.

~Maybe from the rain last week?~

Wu Fei shook his head. ~Looks too fresh, and there's no dried mud clumps.~

As they got to the bottom of the hill they found another set of footprints. They were headed in the opposite direction, towards the safe house. Heero bent down to get a closer look at them while Wu Fei kept his eyes and ears focused on the surrounding area.

~They're Duo's, though it looks like he was dragging his feet…and limping.~

~But how could he have already turned back? We didn't pass him.~ Confusion was clear in his voice, almost covering his concern. ~And it doesn't look like he veered off this path.~

~Look closer at the trail,~ Heero pointed at the path on the hill behind them. ~They continue back up the hill.~

They both frowned and carefully ran back up the hill, keeping an eye on Duo's prints.

"No." Heero whispered when the prints ceased and the slide began.

Wu Fei shook his head. ~Duo has more sense than to be so careless.~

Heero nodded his agreement as he walked over to the edge of the fall and looked over. "But what else could have happened? Where else could he be?" Heero's voice grew cold. "Unless he's been captured."

They both had only a moment to contemplate that thought before Heero's movement caused some loose gravel to fall down the slide. The sound of gravel on gravel drew them back to themselves, but it was the moan that dragged the two to the bottom of the slide.

"Duo?!" They both called out simultaneously, doing their best to not chock on the dust their reckless decent had stirred up.

~Let the dust settle. We'll be able to find him much easier.~ Even with that said, Wu Fei continued to search, moving only his eyes as he knew Heero was.

Once the dust settled, Duo was in plain sight, though buried under a light sheet of dust and small gravel.

"Duo." Wu Fei breathed, his tone so low it sounded neutral.

~He's unconscious. Let's turn him onto his back and see if we can wake him up. Keep your eyes open.~ Heero said after checking for broken bones. ~No head injury either.~ As Heero rolled Duo over he felt a sense of relief. ~Multiple cuts and scraps from the fall. His pants are soaked in blood and torn up, but it doesn't look like anything's broken. He should be fine once cleaned.~

~Good. I see no signs of any other beings. We should head back now.~

~Right~ Heero moved to picked Duo up, and blinked once, taken by surprise at what he now saw. ~He went for a walk…in socks?!~

That got a surprised laugh out of Wu Fei. He glanced at Duo's feet, and sure enough there were a pair of dark blue socks on his feet. Wu Fei shook his head before replying, ~There's not much of a difference between those socks and those pathetic excuse for tennis shoes he wore on the mission.~

~True, but those at least had a thin bottom of rubber. …Really thin soul.~

Heero just shrugged his shoulders before he picked Duo up and placed him over his shoulder as gently as he could. He couldn't very well manage the trails while carrying Duo in his arms, though part of him did enjoy that short sensation.

Wu Fei smiled slightly in agreement to what he knew his love was feeling, and started back up the steep incline, followed by Heero. He didn't pull out his cell phone until they reached the top again, a good twenty or so minutes later.

"We've found him. We're on our way back."

"{Good. No change here.}"

"Acknowledged. Out." He hung up and again focused on the trail and area around them. "There's been no change."

Heero nodded his acknowledgment, concentrating on staying on the path and not dropping his burden. ~Why hasn't he woken up?~

~I'm curious as to why he's unconscious in the first place. You said there's no sign of head injury. And how did he get down there anyways?~

~I've been wondering the same thing. The tracks that were headed back up the hill; you said he appeared to be limping? Do you think it was from exhaustion?~

~Or some hidden injury he failed to mention.~

Heero could lightly feel through their link Wu Fei's annoyance as he thought that. ~True. But then, why would he have gone so far as to exhaust himself? He has more sense than that.~

~…You don't suppose he actually was injured yesterday?~

~If so, then he would have had to have been purposefully hiding them from us. We didn't see anything yesterday, and Quatre said he looked fine this afternoon. But why would he hide them from us?~

The two had steadily increased the pace that they were traveling at, and were currently going at a light jog. As they left the steep hills, they again picked up the pace to a heavy jog, just short of running, ever cautious of the low hills and area around them.

"Indeed, why would he? He can be an idiot at times, but even Duo isn't so foolish as to hide his injuries while on a mission."

"Hn." Heero nodded. They both remained silent for the next hour, sans Wu Fei's check-ins with Quatre. Duo didn't stir the entire time, though his breathing remained steady, as though he were merely sleeping.

As they neared the end of the hill-filled terrain the two Orientals grew more cautious and rigid instead of relaxing. They both kept their pace steady and fast, and their senses trained on the sights and sounds around them.

~Still no signs of waking?~

~None. No signs of being followed?~

~None.~ Wu Fei sighed mentally. ~We'll figure things out once we get back to the safe house.~

"Any news?"

"{None. I don't expect anything soon.}"

"Right. Out." Thus ended yet another near identical check-in.

~Still nothing?~

~Nothing. He's not expecting any news or updates for a while, possibly not till morning.~

~Hn.~

Wu Fei resisted the urge to roll his eyes, used to Heero's habit of reverting to the Perfect Soldier in dangerous situations. Not so perfect anymore though, and that's a good thing. No matter how happy it makes me that he's allowed himself to open up and "become more human," I know it'd be a bad thing for him to forever loose his talents and abilities. It's been about two years since the war ended, since he could really put an effort into opening up and to stop repressing his emotions.

I remember the first few months; he thought it'd be best to just put the Perfect Soldier behind him, to ignore it like he had been doing with his emotions. To trade the soldier for emotions. That…was something I don't much care to remember or re-experience. We thought to try living like "normal" people do, and just ease into it slowly, and it would just happen naturally. Wu Fei smirked and chuckled silently. That lasted about a week and a half. It either drove me crazy first, or Heero hid it better. Actually, I think Quatre was the first to get fed up with that, but he kept it to himself. Trans wasn't too happy with that particular idea when he found out about it either. We realized we weren't being ourselves before they decided they needed to interfere, thankfully. Any changes resulting from that experience would have been as false as the existence itself.

We decided to go on a "vacation" next. Wu Fei smiled as he remembered that particular "vacation." Just the two of us, a cabin in a forested area on Mt. Fuji. Heero had used the cabin as a safe house during the war; it was his suggestion when we decided we should just get away and "find ourselves." It's on private property, a good distance away from the other residences. The forest was small, not enough room for anyone to get lost in, but it was peaceful and beautiful. Once the trees ended there was a short extension of the mountain, like the cliff edges you see some people throw themselves off of in movies. We could see the lake near the base of Fuji, and the very tips of the buildings of Yamanaka at the base.

After we got settled in and actually relaxed, I discovered something about Heero that I'd not known. He had already started to slowly let his emotions have sway over him, and he didn't even realize it until I caught him. He enjoyed watching sunsets. I found him on that cliff edge one evening, watching it. He was sitting, his legs dangling over the edge and his arms behind him, hands on the ground holding him up while he watched the sunset from his laid-back position. I joined him at the edge, sitting next to him and silently watched the sun finish its journey.

I suppose he felt my question, because he spoke before I could voice it. Wu Fei again smiled fondly at that particular memory, but decided it wouldn't be a wise idea to dwell on it at that moment. Even so, he could not keep his thoughts silent. He eventually told me that it was Duo who caused him to start watching the sunset. He had occasionally caught Duo staring at the moon through a window; he even found him on the roof a couple of times. Duo told him that watching the moon helped him to relax and think, then left Heero standing there before he could say anything. Heero said he thought about it, and kept it in mind because of how sincere Duo had sounded.

A few weeks later, after a particularly bad mission, he was alone at a safe house with a balcony. He remembered what Duo had told him about looking at the moon and decided to try it. It was late afternoon, but he was exhausted and knew he wouldn't be able to get back up after he sat down, yet sleep would elude him in his current mental state. He went strait to the balcony and sat down, leaning against the one closed door, and watched the clear sky. He was fortunate in that he was facing west, otherwise he'd have missed the sunset. It was so…Heero couldn't put words to what it made him feel then, only that it helped calm him enough to sleep before a handful of stars were out, and no sign of the moon. He started watching them since then, at first trying to understand what it did to him, and eventually just accepted and enjoyed it.

Wu Fei shook his head slightly to clear his thoughts and refocused his mind on the matter at hand, getting back to the safe house, safely. Though his thoughts had wondered, his senses had stayed alert, and he knew he needed to call Quatre again.

Wu Fei heaved a silent sigh as he pulled out his cell phone, casting a short glance in Heero's direction to determine his condition. Seems to be holding up fine. Good.

"Anything?"

"{Nothing.}"

"Right. Out." Wu Fei glanced at Heero again, and caught him smirking. ~What's so funny?~

Heero went ahead and chuckled mentally. ~You. You sound almost bored with the check-ins.~

~Aa.~ Wu Fei rolled his eyes. ~I can see the house.~

Heero nodded, and by mutual, silent agreement, they both again picked up the pace. Neither wanted to remain in the open any longer than necessary. Heero noticed that the new pace started jolting Duo more than the previous almost run. He'll be fine; maybe it'll even wake him up.

Heero kept his eye out for the surveillance equipment Trowa set up, but could only find two motion sensors, and one infer red sensor by the time he reached the back door.

Wu Fei pulled out his phone again. "Coming in the back."

"Right. I'll let Trowa know."

"Out." and hung up. "Let's get him up to his room before trying to wake him. We can evaluate his injuries once he's in bed."

Heero nodded and followed Wu Fei.

~Should we get him out of those cloths before we try to wake him up?~

~…I think we should try to wake him up first Wu Fei.~ Heero quietly responded after a moment's hesitation.

Wu Fei paused at the top of the stairs, but did not turn to look behind him at Heero. ~…Are you…blushing?~

~No, I'm not.~

Wu Fei chuckled before continuing to Duo's room at the end of the hall. "Maybe not physically," he whispered, to which he was greeted with silence. He frowned when he saw a flickering of light from underneath Duo's door. What…? ~Heero, do you see that?~

He stepped aside so that Heero could see Duo's door too.

Heero's eyes narrowed; the closer he got to the door, the more something tugged at his senses. His eyes snapped wide when he recognized what it was. ~I smell something burning. A candle maybe? It's…it almost smells like…oranges, not too strong, but definitely oranges. The wick's been burning for a while now too.~

~Aa.~ Wu Fei opened the door slowly before reaching in to flick the light switch on. He looked around the room and spotted an orange colored candle on the nightstand next to the bed. A flickering drew his attention to the bathroom, where he found another orange candle. This one was further used than the one by the bed, giving the impression it had been burning longer, possibly over night. ~I can smell it now too. Orange is defiantly there, but…it also reminds me of the fields, just after a summer's rain. Very relaxing; I wonder where Duo found them.~

~Who knows. Let's get him onto the…bed. Kuso.~

Wu Fei turned from the bathroom to see what the problem was. He got his answer when his eyes landed on the bed. Heero was standing just at the end of it, Duo still over his shoulder, glaring at the bed and the basket of sheets in the middle of it.

"What's the problem? Heero, why haven't you laid Duo down yet?" Quatre asked from the bedroom's door.

Heero just moved out of the blonds' way so he could see the bed's condition.

"Oh. I guess he didn't make it before he left for his walk." Quatre thought for a moment about making the bed, but glanced at his arm, complete with sling, out of the corner of his eye, and thought better of it. "Well, you'll just have to put him in one of the other beds." Quatre moved to leave, but stopped to say, "When you've gotten him situated, I want to know what happened." With that the blond Arabian went back downstairs intent on joining Trowa, who was with the surveillance equipment in the basement.

Heero shared a look with Wu Fei before moving to their room. Wu Fei moved ahead of him to remove the junk from the bed that was not used the other night. It was still clean, unlike the other one. He pulled the blanket down, but left the sheet spread out for Duo to be laid on. If they could not wake him up, then they'd pull the blanket up over him. I don't care how deep he may be sleeping. I'm not going to try to undress him. Wu Fei acknowledged that there was more than one reason for that decision, though he refused to dwell on any of them.

Heero did not even spare a glance at the pile of junk now on the floor between the two beds; he just laid Duo down as carefully as possible. He then backed up and looked at the braided youth, hoping he'd wake up on his own. He then watched silently as Wu Fei went to Duo's side to do a more in-depth search for injuries.

Wu Fei sighed before moving from Duo's chest and up ~Nothing broken or cracked, though the ribs will be tender; only a few minor cuts from the fall~ to his legs.

Heero left for a moment to get a cool cloth from the bathroom, then knelt next to Duo's head and gently wiped at his face with the cloth, cleaning it of the grime and sweat caked there. He looked up and over at Wu Fei when he heard him growl.

~What is it?~ He prompted when Wu Fei started muttering curses in Chinese.

"He did hide them. He was injured and hid it from us." His voice tightly controlled.

"What?!" Heero said sharply, causing Duo to jerk on the bed.

Duo moaned and started to shift on the bed, and had both conscious pilot's attention on him before he opened his eyes.

~Move!~ Wu Fei's command was hardly finished before Heero had complied, hopping off the bed and moving a couple feet away from the bed, still at the head. Wu Fei joined him a second later.

Duo's eyes snapped open at the jolt caused by Heero's sudden movement. He focused on the two immediately. "Hey guys." he muttered, still a little groggy.

Wu Fei's eyes flashed before he stepped right up to the bed and glared down at the braided youth. "You idiot!" he growled out. "What the hell were you thinking?! Were you even thinking to begin with?!"

Duo just blinked at him, a confused look coming across his face. "What are you talking about Wu Fei?" he asked quietly, his confusion obvious.

"Your legs! You've got two bullet wounds in one, and two broken toes on the other! And you hid them from everyone." Wu Fei's voice got quiet towards the end, but it also got colder.

Heero had joined Wu Fei as he finished, shocked at the extent of Duo's injuries. He was silent for a moment as he caught Duo's eyes; his fury, disappointment, and disdain clear in his eyes. "Baka. You endangered the mission, your teammates. You could have gotten someone killed or captured had they relied on you to be at your best as you pretended. This isn't a game Maxwell. How are we expected to rely on such a mindless fool to get things done correctly and get everyone out alive?" Heero clenched his fists, his mind reeling; still trying to grasp the idea that Duo was hurt without his knowledge.

"There is no plausible way even you could have forgotten about those. You cleaned the bullet wounds yourself as none of us did; you didn't even wrap or tape your toes! Yet still you went out there, in socks no less, and wore yourself beyond the point of exhaustion! How long would you have been at the bottom of that fall if we hadn't gone looking for you? Do you know what kind of danger you put the general area in with your inanity?"

~We need to calm down.~

~You're right.~ Wu Fei welcomed the interruption, grateful that he was stopped before he could say something he'd regret.

Heero turned his back to the bed and stalked out of the room, not looking back.

Wu Fei threw a parting look at Duo before closing the door, mildly surprised to see his eyes closed and expression blank. "Sleep, then get yourself cleaned up." Wu Fei surprised himself at how well he managed to keep his voice neutral.

Duo remained on the bed until he was certain both had had enough time to get downstairs and into a different room before he opened his eyes again. His face was neutral, no sign of anything could be seen on it. No smile, no frown, nothing; not even his eyes, the windows to a persons soul, showed anything.

He went to the door as silently as possible, and exited the same way. There was no way the others could hear him as he made his way from Heero and Wu Fei's room to his own. He heard the dryer running before closing his door. He moved across the carpeted floor as though his legs were whole, not the bloody and tattered mess his fall had created; only a slight limp or his right leg hinted at his foot's broken bones.

He headed for his shower after locking first the bedroom then bathroom door. Nobody should notice the running water with the dryer going, he thought as he pulled out his shampoo, conditioner, and gel soap from his bag, as well as his toothbrush, toothpaste, and a hairbrush with a few hair ties on the handle. After putting everything in its proper place, he started the water in the tub and pulled out some towels as he waited for it to get to a decent temperature.

He found some water repellant wraps for his left thigh and the bullet wounds there. Sitting on the edge of the tub, he wrapped them after cleaning the area with a wet cloth and cleaning the wounds themselves with alcohol. He also pulled out some water resistant tape for his two middle toes. Pulling his braid in front of him, he took the tie out and started to unravel the long braid before brushing it, working from the bottom up, wincing at the few big tangles, but otherwise worked through it quickly.

That's fine, he decided once his hair was tangle free and the water decent, and got into the shower; he closed the curtains and switched the faucet to the showerhead. Duo hissed in a vain attempt to ignore the warm water running over the multitude of cuts covering his body. He turned around, keeping one hand on the inside wall for balance, so that he could soak his hair before bringing it over his shoulder so the spray could hit his neck and back. Moaning at the contact, Duo started to relax, and so his mind started to wonder.

Beautiful. I go from one nightmare to another. Flashes of what he'd dreamt before waking up with Wu Fei and Heero standing over him passed through his mind.

Fire. Shock. Pain. Danger. Anger.
I'm surrounded.


Duo's thigh throbbed in remembrance of the bullet responsible for that fire.

There were four of them, one at each side, all multiply armed. The one in the back was the one that fired. He'll be first. Duo smirked as the four drew closer, weapons held at the ready. They stopped well out of arms reach, but all within sight. Maybe they're not as stupid as I thought…. Not by much though.

One carried a variety of bladed daggers and knives, while another had multiple throwing weapons; small knives, darts and stars. The one in front held a curled whip. Pissed the hell out of me when I realized what it was made of. The last one had a pair of sai's held at his back, a single metal nunchuk in one hand and the gun, an unrecognizable model, in the other. Probably modified it himself. He also had a few others on his body.

My turn.

Duo snapped out of his musings at the shock of cold water. His body had gone through the routine of bathing while his mind was otherwise occupied. Quickly turning the water off, he opened the curtains and sat on the edge of the tub to dry his hair. He grabbed one of the larger towels on the toilet and, after flipping his hair over his head, started to rub at it vigorously; when he was satisfied with it he wrapped his hair in the towel and around his head. Once he was certain his hair would not be dripping down his back, he started drying off.

As he went back into his room to get some fresh cloths, hair still in a towel and another one hanging over his shoulders, he grabbed his first-aid kit to redress his injuries. He stared for a moment at the unmade bed, heaving a resigned sigh before laying his mostly dry towel on the bed to sit on. He changed the dressings on his leg and re-tapped his toes together before getting dressed and hunting down a clean pair of jade colored socks.

After drying his hair and brushing it out, Duo flopped backwards on the bed, rubbing at his temples. He closed his eyes and attempted to clear his thoughts. Laying his hands back down on the bed, he found his brush and rubber bands. I really should braid my hair, it's just going to get tangled up again…but my head hurts so much…. I'll just leave it down for now, and put it in a loose braid after the muscles have relaxed a bit.

With that decided, Duo headed downstairs, intent on finding some food. He'd missed lunch and his stomach was upset with him over that fact. Clad in a loose pair of black sweat pants and shirt, with his loose hair flowing just past his knees, he stopped at his closet to pull out a pair of black steel-toe boots, slipping them on carefully.

Duo kept his eyes out for the other pilots, but did not see any in the living room, down the hall, or in the kitchen. The hall closet was open, so they might have been in the basement, though he couldn't think of any reason for all of them to be down there. Unless they're avoiding me. He didn't contemplate on that thought, preferring instead to look for something edible. He was immediately aware of the four pairs of eyes on him after he opened the pantry door; it was stuck so it made some noise when he got it opened.

The other four boys were outside, their attention drawn to the kitchen through the double window over the kitchen sink. They stared in shock when they realized it was Duo. Heero and Wu Fei both near stopped breathing, and Quatre and Trowa were not much better off.

Duo took note of their staring, but never looked at any of them. He just went about making himself a penut butter and banana sandwich and went back to his room, grabbing an apple on his way out. He placed the apple on the plate with the sandwich so he could hold his glass of milk in the other hand. With both hands full, he took extra care when ascending the stairs.

Closing and locking the door behind him, Duo set his food and drink on the stand by his bed before moving about the room, turning the lights on and making the bed. After blowing out the candle in the bathroom, he pulled his CD case out of his bag, looking through it as he moved over to the small boom box located on the room's dresser. It's almost too small to call a boom box, he thought as he found the CD he was looking for.

It had a picture of three shadowed figures, two obvious females, turned slightly towards the male in the middle, on the cover. The background was a forest that gave the impression of a mystical mystery; one had to look closely to see why. In the forest were various colored lights blending in with the growth, and shapes of fairies, pixies, and some other creatures who's names are not as well known, scattered throughout the forest, as well as in the name of the band and CD title. The Sirens was the bands' name, with the title just below that, Mystery of Magic. The three figures were just above the band name, and you could see that the two on the left were the same height, but that the female on the far right, though her head was at the same level as the other two, was shorter. Her feet hovered off the ground with the rest of her, just above the ns at the end of the name; the only explanation for that was the light shadow of wings coming from her back.

He set everything up and skipped the CD to play track ten of seventeen, and programmed it to repeat all before turning the volume as loud as he could handle with his receding headache. He moved to the bed and his food as it started to play.

It started out immediately with drums and guitar being the most obvious instruments being used. The lyrics started soon after.

*We ride.*

The music was loud enough for Duo to feel the vibrations from his position on the bed. He leaned back as he ate, letting the music relax him. Even the other pilots, still outside, could hear it.

*Ride through the valley and thunder and rain
the battle is raging, redeem this domain
The Castle of Eden lies silent above
darkness surrounded us, away we must go*

Heero and Wu Fei had just finished telling the other two how they'd found Duo when said pilot entered the kitchen. They had stood in a daze at the sight he presented, even after Duo had gone back upstairs. It was the music that snapped them back to awareness.

Wu Fei looked up to the general location of Duo's room, a frown forming on his face as he listened.

*I look through the eyes of the world
I see there's a Stranger among us.
Awaiting a sign from above
to conquer the power and the glory Yeah!*

Quatre just shook his head in mild amusement and partial exasperation. ~I still don't understand how he can enjoy that kind of music.~

~It's called rock. It suits him.~ Trowa reached down to his waist to reassure himself that the pager was still there. If anything triggered the surveillance equipment, it was set up to page him so he didn't have to stay in front of the monitor at all times.

Quatre spoke up, drawing everybody's attention again. "We got another e-mail just after your last check-in. We won't have the location of our new safe house until tomorrow morning. Till then we're to be cautious and stay near the house."

*Enter the battle, our will to enchain
bringing us forward, defeating the pain
into the meeting with swords made of steel
we're standing together the secret reveals*

"Right." Heero acknowledged, casting a glace at the still silent Wu Fei. ~Is something wrong?~

"Huh?" came Wu Fei's startled response. "Oh, no. It's nothing." Wu Fei shook his head. "It's just, that song…it sounds familiar."

*I look through the eyes of the world
I know who's the Stranger among us
Awaiting a sign from above
to conquer the power and glory*

The other three listened for a bit before shaking their heads. "I don't believe he's ever played that one before." Quatre stated.

"Nor do I; I'm sure he's never played it, and yet…." Wu Fei trailed off.

*Come across to the Promised Land
close your eyes, I will take your hand
Through the river of steel we'll go
When the dragon lies bleeding*

Heero noticed Wu Fei shifting from one foot to the other, favoring his sprained ankle. He berated himself for forgetting about it, and dragged his love back into the house. He'd have carried him, but he knew that would cause more trouble than it was worth; Wu Fei would have none of it.

Quatre chuckled and Trowa gave a small smirk at Wu Fei's startled expression when he was hauled back into the house by the grip on his wrist.

*Come across to the Promised Land
close your eyes, I will take your hand
Through the river of steel we'll go
When the dragon lies bleeding*

Heero pushed Wu Fei down onto the couch in the living room, and gave him a look that clearly said "stay" before going back into the kitchen for some ice. Once he had that, Heero moved to arrange the cushions so that the ankle was elevated, then checked to see if any more damage was done. The ankle was already swollen and turning an ugly shade of purple and sickly green, but was still just sprained. He laid the ice around the swelling as he told Wu Fei that it was no worse for wear. "But don't you dare use it again." Heero enforced this with a heated glare directly into Wu Fei's eyes, to which Wu Fei gave a slight nod.

"I'll go make us some sandwiches. What would you like to drink?"

"Water will be fine. Thanks." Wu Fei knew better than to argue with Heero when he was like this. When he was still "new" to his emotions, Heero was fiercely protective of those he considered close or dear, be it person or possession. That protectiveness never really left, but was tempered.

*Above the glory we'll carry on
now the time has come to return back home
The setting sun illuminates the dead
the battlefield is shining red.*

Wu Fei let his head fall back to rest on the couch's arm; he stared up at the ceiling, his mind again focusing on the music coming from Duo's room. I know I've heard it before, but where? And why is it bothering me so much?

He smirked at that last line, somewhat amused. I'd think he would want nothing that could bring back such…vivid memories. Wu Fei closed his eyes and let the music relax him. He was surprised at how easy it was; he usually couldn't stand rock.

Heero came back into the living room to find Wu Fei where he had left him, almost asleep. He set the plates and glasses down on the table, and debated about whether or not to let him sleep before eating.

*Silent lies Eden on top of the moor
we're fighting with honor protecting our Lord
The last one survivor lies bleeding. I kneel
into his heart I settle the steel*

Wu Fei's face came down into a frown and he shifted a bit as the lyrics started up again. Heero sighed and decided they'd both better eat before sleeping. Why is it bothering him so much?

"Wu Fei, I've got your sandwich. Are you awake?"

*I look through the eyes of the world
There is no stranger among us.
We march to the end of the world
In search for the power and the glory*

"Hmm? Yes, just dozed off I guess. Thanks." Wu Fei reached out and took the offered sandwich. Wu Fei sighed silently as he leaned back to eat. The two ate in silence broken only by the music coming from upstairs.

"Why does he insist on playing it so loud?" Heero said, glaring at the stairs for a moment before looking back at his half finished sandwich.

"That's how you're suppose to listen to rock." Wu Fei commented off hand.

*Come across to the Promised Land
close your eyes, I will take your hand
Through the river of steel we'll go
When the dragon lies bleeding*

Heero gave him a sharp, questioning look, but Wu Fei didn't seem to notice. He was eating his sandwich as though in a trance, his thoughts far away. "Wu Fei?" Heero breathed, uncertain, and not sure why.

Wu Fei again didn't seem to take any notice of him.

*Come across to the Promised Land
close your eyes, I will take your hand
Through the river of steel we'll go
When the dragon lies bleeding*

The music was getting on Heero's nerves to begin with; Wu Fei's lack of awareness, which Heero believed was because of the music, took the last of Heero's calm and patience. He had finally calmed down and cleared his head after discovering Duo's injuries when Duo had come downstairs. And then it took that music to snap him out of yet another trance.

*Come across to the Promised Land
close your eyes, I will take your hand
Through the river of steel we'll go
When the dragon lies bleeding*

Heero stood up, set his plate down, and with a final glance at the still dazed like Wu Fei, headed upstairs. He was well on his way to being severely pissed off again, and once more intent on showing the braided youth just how much; after all, it was his fault.

*Come across to the Promised Land
close your eyes, I will take your hand
Through the river of steel we'll go
When the dragon lies bleeding*

The song continued to get lower, and was finished by the time he reached the top of the stairs. He had his arm raised to knock, or pound really, on the door, when he heard some shuffling. Duo was moving around in the room. The baka. He should be staying off that foot. This just served to darken his mood.

He was again about to knock when the sound of first clicks, then soft beeping stopped him. A new song started, with what sounded like crickets and very soft children's laughter. Heero again hesitated. As a soft voice, a young boy, started singing, just the basic "La la la la," but varied in tone and depth, Heero decided he should get some ice for Duo's foot. A sort of apology for blowing up at him earlier, not that he didn't deserve it. Besides, this one seems low enough…and soft. Not rock.

When he came back with a small ice pack wrapped in a washcloth, he noticed the music was again changing. It was still the same song, but the boy had stopped singing. …The hard stuff had started again. Guitar being the most obvious, then the drums, and some others that Heero did not want to identify.

When he got to the door again, he realized that the volume had indeed been turned down, and could scarcely make out Duo's voice. He was talking to someone. No one's in there though. Heero thought for a moment before it became obvious to him. Those beeps where from his cell phone. He's called some one…who would he be calling, and why? Heero didn't believe Duo was doing anything wrong per say, but he was extremely curious, even if he wouldn't admit it to himself.

He positioned himself as close to the door as possible without making a sound to alert Duo to the fact that someone was in the hall and listening in on his conversation. He noticed that Duo sounded serious, but very calm. A combination Heero couldn't recall ever hearing from Duo.

"…don't care anymore Lena. I've had enough. I'm not going to put up with this anymore. After this stuff is cleared up, one Duo Maxwell will cease to exist." Pause for a few minutes. "Nope," chuckled. "Uh huh, sure," said in good humor; Heero could almost envision Duo's smirk, before his voice got serious again. "I'm not sure. Can't really tell. Circumstantial. 'Fraid I'm not going to make that party though. Sorry Lena." He sounded truly sorry, even if his voice was laced lightly with humor. The humor is still present, though dread and resignation were more than obvious when he started again. "Yeah," he drawls out, "I kinda figured as much." Pause. "Thanks," dripping with sarcasm. Another pause. "Ok. Talk to you later then. Bye."

There was a moment's pause, then a few squeaks to indicate Duo had dropped onto his bed. Heero left as silently as possible before he could get caught. He went back down stairs mechanically, and sat in the chair he had been eating in.

Wu Fei looked up as he heard Heero just drop into the chair, a clearly dazed and lost look in Heero's eyes. Wu Fei's own eyes widened at that sight before he composed himself enough to question Heero. "Heero? Are you alright?"

Silence.

"Heero? Heero, what happened?"

Silence.

~Heero?~ Even his mental voice was beginning to sound alarmed, almost desperate. Heero was really beginning to creep him out. ~Heero! Snap out of it! What is wrong with you?~

Heero's eyes hardened, his face cold and solid; he stood up and moved towards the front door.

"Heero, where do you think you're going? We're to stay in the house until further notice."

"In or near." Heero responded, his voice monotone.

Wu Fei was really worried now. Just what the heck happened? Where did he go and what upset him so much? Wu Fei silently tried not to panic as he pushed himself up and off the couch, intent on following Heero. Midway to the front door, he could see Heero sitting on the bench swing on the front porch. He'll be pissed when he sees me walking. I hope….

He was right. When Heero saw him coming out the front door, he audibly growled before standing up and almost stalking towards him. Heero picked him up and carried him over to the bench, carefully setting him down before sitting next to him. Heero then proceeded to ignore him; he was glaring ahead at the yard, his posture stiff and cold.

Wu Fei hesitantly placed a hand on Heero's shoulder. Heero's head swung towards him, his eyes locking with Wu Fei's immediately. Wu Fei was stunned by the anguish, uncertainty, and lost confusion he saw in those eyes. "Heero…?"

Heero just shook his head slightly as a new emotion entered his eyes, a kind of pleading. Wu Fei understood what he was asking, and brought his arms around Heero's shoulders. After a moment, Heero rested his head on Wu Fei's shoulder. They didn't pay attention to how long they stayed like that. They simply enjoyed it and took what comfort they could from the embrace. Heero had eventually shifted his own arms around to embrace Wu Fei as well.

Wu Fei brought his right hand up and began stroking Heero's hair. "Heero, will you tell me what's wrong? Please?" he asked softly, determined not to ruin the mood.

He felt Heero nod, but otherwise remain still. He took his time in explaining, trying to gather his thoughts. He'd have berated himself for his recent actions if he wasn't still shaken.

Wu Fei gently pulled Heero back just enough so that he could look him in the eye. "Heero?" he again questioned.

Heero averted his eyes, but did answer this time. He hesitantly opened his mouth, still looking off to the side at the yard, and softly spoke, "I…I think Duo's planning on killing himself."

To be continued….

[Bwahahahahahahaha]