Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Hidden Secrets ❯ Hidden Secrets 8 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hidden Secrets
Part Eight


By: Valandra


A/N: I am so sorry for the long wait/delay. If you've read my ff.net bio, you know my reasons. Brief explanation, I've been sucked into an RP that's going original novel to be published once we finish it. This has consumed my time and, outside of work, my life; quite literally. However, HS is still a very big deal to me, still very important, and I’ve felt horrible that I’ve taken so long to update; I have however been working on this in short spurts since my last update.

Originally I had wanted to do so much more in this chapter, but some parts got extended and some scenes happened that hadn’t been planned. However, going over it again and making a few changes, I think it ends well enough where I stopped. And it gives me more flexibility for the next chapter, though I’ve already got the opening planned out. Plus, didn’t want to make this one too long.

Key:
Thoughts are in ('Italics')
Telepathy talk is in (~Italics~)
Normal talk is in (“Plain”)
Song lyrics are in (*Bold*)
Espherian is in (/English/)



Heero was standing behind the door, for how long Wu Fei wasn’t sure. It wasn’t that he minded Heero over-hearing all that had been said, that wasn’t worrying him so much. It was Heero’s eyes; they were showing more emotions then Wu Fei could decipher. Even so, he couldn’t get himself past the fear and hurt that he saw there.

He quickly shifted his gaze towards Duo when he saw Heero’s gaze was fixed there, after his eyes flashed with something still stronger. Duo had his own gaze on Heero; Wu Fei felt his eyes narrow when he caught the smile on Duo’s lips.

~Heero, join us, please?~ Duo held out his hand towards Heero as he made his request.

Heero’s shock was almost as much as Wu Fei’s own. Swallowing hard, Heero hesitantly entered the room, carefully closing the door behind him without turning his back to the two on the bed. He slowly made his way to the bed, but faltered once he reached the edge of it. His eyes imploring, Heero looked to both youths on the bed, still not making any move to get on.

Both Duo and Wu Fei could feel Heero’s anxiety and no small amount of fear. But they could also feel hope lurking behind the negativity.

Duo, hand still stretched out to Heero, spoke again. ~Please Heero, you have nothing to worry about. I…want to explain to the both of you, some things.~ He paused a moment, blinked, and a small, almost sad smile formed on his face. ~I have no intention of taking Wu Fei from you Heero.~

Heero wasn’t able to hide his flinch, but quickly ducked his head so neither youth could see his face. Wu Fei was, once again, caught off-guard, and berated himself. He should have known Heero would be worried about that; would have known that if he had better control over his own reactions.

~Heero, please. You know I wouldn’t just up and leave you, please don’t think of me in that way. You have always had my love, nothing can nor will change that.~

The sincerity in both voices called out to Heero; he had no doubts they spoke the truth. It wasn’t in him to doubt them. Neither Wu Fei’s familiar, elegant and noble with underlying calm, nor Duo’s soothing, light voice, that sounded like it was almost being sung rather then spoken.

Still a bit hesitant because of his uncertainty, Heero slowly crawled up onto the bed and over to the embracing youths. He sat on his knees in front of the two, his head still lowered. He did, however, take Duo’s offered hand. His grip was loose, as if he didn’t believe the hand would stay in his own for long.

Duo’s smile didn’t loose its sadness as he tightened his grip on Heero’s hand. ~Please Heero, look up. You have as much right to be here as any one of us.~ He gave a gentle tug on Heero’s hand, pulling him closer to the other two.

Heero looked up, not only because of Duo’s entreaty, but also because he felt himself moving forward. He was caught by what he saw in Duo’s eyes. They weren’t entirely the eyes of Duo Maxwell. They were much more like those few glimpses from during the war, though a lot less melancholy.

His question wasn’t formed with words, but felt through his emotions. Duo’s smile lost its touch of sadness as Heero relaxed. Though he still had his questions, Heero knew he had nothing to fear from either of the two young men in front of him. Knew that he wouldn’t be left behind or forgotten.

Both Heero and Duo looked at Wu Fei when his own question was felt through their apparent link. Heero with realization that he wasn’t the only one in the dark on some things, and Duo with mild amusement tempered by understanding.

~I’m not too surprised you don’t understand Fei. The Dragon clans, like most Mystics, don’t hold soul bonds in the same light as we do. Have you explained the bond to Heero?~

Wu Fei shook his head, ~I couldn’t fully understand it when you explained it to me the first time. When we realized we shared a bond, it felt different from what you and I shared. I wasn’t entirely certain it was a soul bond, but then, I didn’t know what else it could be.~

Duo nodded, looking down at where Heero’s hand was still in his own, his lips twisted oddly. ~A soul bond…a connection between souls from before birth. We know our soul bonded…instinctively, naturally. Every Mystic has a…“soul-mate,” if you will, but not many wait or search for theirs; most will accept love when it comes, whether it’s on a soul level or not.~

Duo tightened his grip on Heero’s hand, reassuring them both. Wu Fei, guessing what Duo planned on saying, moved closer, leaning his shoulder against Heero’s.

~Wu Fei and I already knew each other for a while before we realized what it was we felt with each other…eventually even when the other wasn’t near.~

~I had heard stories of soul bonds, but never any real details,~ Wu Fei put in.

Nodding, Duo continued. ~I grew up with the stories, as soul bonds are…highly respected among my people. It’s not uncommon for us to search for ours, or hold off any relationship, saving ourselves for our bond, as it were. It’s not looked down upon to form a relationship with one who is not your soul bond, but wanting to wait is…almost ingrained since birth.

~What I felt with Wu Fei was definitely a bond, but not as strong as the stories would have one believe. I didn’t know anyone who had found their soul bond to ask, so I assumed the stories had been exaggerated, or that the bond would grow with time.~

Locking eyes with first Wu Fei, then Heero, Duo tried to impart how serious he was. ~No where in the stories does it say a soul bond is limited to two people.~ He paused, letting that sink in. He could see understanding in Wu Fei’s eyes, but a touch of confusion in Heero’s.

Though he didn’t know much about soul bonds, Heero had thought that, logically, whatever bond he had with Wu Fei must be shared with Duo. He knew he was missing something, and was waiting for Duo to finish explaining.

~The bond didn’t feel as strong as it should, because your soul wasn’t yet on our plane of existence Heero. You hadn’t been born yet, and our three souls had yet to meet here.~ He paused a moment before continuing. ~The reason the bond felt stronger between you two was because both of your souls had already connected with mine. That’s also partially why you couldn’t sense me Fei.~

All three were silent for a bit, each thinking. Heero was the first to speak up. ~You and Wu Fei knew each other for a while before you felt the bond. Wu Fei and I didn’t notice it until we actually formed a relationship. You say that you and I already connected, but I’ve never noticed the bond until you spoke earlier. When did it form?~

Duo seemed to almost brace himself. ~You didn’t notice it because you didn’t know what to look for. It was formed, but we never used it, or acknowledged it. The bond between you and Fei was already there after the first time you both truly relaxed and opened up with each other. Your relationship nurtured the bond, making it obvious to you.

~As far as how your's and mine was established….~ Duo trailed off, slowly bringing Heero’s hand up to the left side of his neck. Shifting his grip on Heero’s hand so that Heero’s fingers and palm weren’t covered, Duo tilted his own head to the right before gently holding Heero’s fingers against his neck. At the contact, Duo’s eyes fluttered; Heero’s confusion was obvious for a moment, before he shifted his fingers, rubbing them against Duo’s neck. His confusion was quickly replaced with horror.

~Oh gods….~ Heero moaned without realizing it. When Heero tried to jerk his hand back, Duo wouldn’t let it go. He held it in place, his eyes on Heero’s face; Heero’s eyes locked onto where his fingers rested.

Wu Fei was obviously concerned, but quickly putting the pieces together. He could pretty much guess what had happened, but he was drawing a blank on the when and how. Seeing tears in Heero’s eyes, Wu Fei moved to put a hand on his shoulder, only to pull it back when Heero flinched from its proximity.

Heero, still vainly trying to get his hand back, couldn’t understand why Duo was still holding his hand. Why he had asked him to join them, how he could stand being so near to him.

~Please Heero, look at me.~ Duo softly begged of him, breaking through Heero’s round-about thoughts. Distantly, Heero wondered how long Duo had been speaking. Reluctantly, Heero rolled his eyes from Duo’s neck to his eyes. Held in place by that gaze, he stopped trying to pull his hand back without realizing it.

~From the moment I met you Heero Yuy, I knew you were a Mystic. However, what kind escaped me, and I couldn’t search or research like I wished, as Duo Maxwell is a human, who was fighting a human war. After I got to know you, I came to learn you had no idea- that you believed yourself to be human, if genetically enhanced and well trained.

~The clues were all there, it was obvious; but still I did not figure it out. Not until your sixteenth birthday,~ he brought his free hand up to cup Heero’s cheek as he spoke. ~The night before you left for the moon base.~

Wu Fei shifted and moved to sit somewhat behind Heero, but to his side as well. Leaning forward against Heero, Wu Fei wrapped his arms around the younger man; he rested his chin on Heero’s shoulder.

Heero remained silent as he thought about that night, tried to remember what he could, which was very little. Not much had happened that night; nothing eventful enough for him to remember at any rate. ‘And how does he know that day was my birthday? Even I don’t know when it is. I couldn’t find anything in J’s records either, before or after the war.’

Duo withdrew his hand from Heero’s cheek, seemingly reading the other’s question in his eyes. ~It’s your people’s day of age, when your vampiric nature comes out. Trans didn’t explain this to you? No, he wouldn’t have,~ Duo answered himself before Heero had a chance to. ~It would have brought up things I asked him to not speak of.~

Wu Fei chuckled softly, seeing the sheepish smile Duo then offered; knowing what expression Heero must be wearing.

~You know Trans?~ Heero asked, eyes narrowing slightly. He then relaxed, feeling Wu Fei’s arms tighten around him.

~After he’s done explaining,~ Wu Fei whispered, smiling when Heero nodded and placed his free hand over both of Wu Fei’s own.

Soft smile still in place, though it grew a bit smaller, Duo continued. ~You were already asleep when the moon rose, and the change began. I don’t know if that was luck or natural, and Trans would not tell me. It took me some time, though thankfully not too long, to realize what was happening. I called Trans, who was thankfully able to get there shortly after; especially as I wasn’t willing to explain what was happening until he was physically there.~

Heero’s fingers shifted on Duo’s neck, more nerves flexing then conscious thought, and violet eyes lidded for a moment. Heero took note of the action, mainly because it caused Duo’s smile to return.

Duo sighed softly before continuing after his short pause. ~You should have been prepared prior to that night by your family; shown what to do and to expect. To have already gathered energy for the change, to support and sustain your body through it. But because you were raised human and I didn’t put the effort into learning otherwise sooner, you were never shown how, or even warned. And so you were dieing, because you didn’t have the energy you needed and didn’t know how to get it.~

Heero remained silent and unmoving, showing no reaction to what was being said. Even so, he was grateful for Wu Fei’s arms around him, holding him tightly.

~I wasn’t going to let you die; I considered us friends, and knew of yours and Wu Fei’s relationship despite you two’s efforts otherwise.~ He smirked for a moment and gave them a wink, showing no ill will was meant. ~So, even knowing it was forbidden beyond few exceptions approved by the Elders, I suggested blood energy. Trans of course, thought I was out of my mind. Blood drinking forms a link between the two involved, bringing a lot of dangers and such in its own right; which is why it was forbidden.

~He still wasn’t keen on the idea after I explained that you were the third of the soul bond.~ Here Duo’s smile grew a bit, but both that and his eyes were tinted with sadness; reminding the two of chance glimpses during the war.

~He wanted to go find Wu Fei,~ Duo’s voice snapped the two back to the present. ~As the bond between the two of you was already being nurtured. But you were already on the moon, and we didn’t have enough time to get you. Or to take Heero to you. The bloodlust would have already taken hold. So, he reluctantly agreed to help me with getting you to drink from me.

~So that’s how…and when,~ his lips twitched as he made eye contact with Wu Fei before looking back to Heero. ~It was my choice Heero, and a decision I made for you, for us both. And though I’m sorry I took that from you, I’m not sorry for my actions.~ Duo held the other’s blue eyes, imparting how serious he was.

The three remained sitting still in silence for long minutes, thinking. After some time, Duo let his hand fall away from Heero’s and moved to the bed edge as he began to speak in a low, soft and quiet voice. “I’m sure the two of you are exhausted after everything that’s happened today, so I’ll let you get some sleep.” Once off the bed he started towards the door without looking back. And so, missing the almost panicked expression in Heero’s eyes as he looked behind him to Wu Fei.

Wu Fei’s own were saddened and slightly lidded, but there was also a touch of…ironic amusement held within their ebony depths as well, as he watched the long-haired male walk away. ~He does not wish to interfere with our established relationship. And we’ve yet to make it known to him that that is exactly what we wish,~ he spoke to Heero as he turned his eyes back to his younger love.

Their actions passing quickly, Duo had only paused for breath and was still a few feet from the door, but drawing closer. “I should check on Relena, before turning in myself,” he continued, only to stop short as a pair of arms wrapped around him from behind, pinning his own arms to his sides. He turned his head slightly, trying to see over his shoulder as he felt a solid body press up against him, the arms connected to said body tightening, holding him in place.

“And if we don’t want you to leave?” Heero whispered into his left ear as Wu Fei walked around the two, locking the door before stepping right up in front of Duo.

“We wanted to tell you after that last mission months ago, before you left,” Wu Fei spoke, ledges of his top two fingers lifting then tilting Duo’s chin to the right. “We both had feelings for you, towards you, during the war. But they mostly went unacknowledged until recently, because of your masks and our stubbornness to see beyond them.”

“Aside from the few glimpses we caught by chance,” Heero added, tightening his arms further for a moment. He smiled slightly, feeling Duo lean into and relax against him.

“But you don’t really know me,” Duo quietly spoke after a moment, directing it towards Heero.

“I know everything I need to, from every time I’ve looked into your eyes,” Heero whispered, more emotion in his voice then Duo could ever remember hearing before. “Everything else, I want to learn and discover; but with the both of you.”

Duo remained silent for a moment before smiling and nodding slightly. “If so much can happen with the both of you in a single day, I can only imagine what the past two years were like. And I look forward to finding out, and seeing what the future holds for us.”

Wu Fei smiled, his fingers still beneath Duo’s chin. Keeping the other’s head tilted, he leaned in and claimed lips he at one point thought could never be still. His own twitched against Duo’s as that thought went a bit further, taking the implications it brought with it.

“So does that mean you no longer wish to leave?” Wu Fei asked as he broke the gentle kiss, his fingers trailing up to caress Duo’s cheek. His smile softened as he watched Duo lean into it.

“Yes, it means I no longer wish nor intend to leave,” Duo answered, eyes a pale lilac.

“Good,” Heero whispered before trailing his lips down Duo’s throat and sealing them over the scar there; his mark. He sucked lightly at it, before drawing his tongue over it. ~Because I don’t have any intention of letting you go.~

Duo gasped, his eyes widening before going half lidded. He sagged back against Heero, his head falling back to rest on Heero’s shoulder. The arms around him tightened, keeping him upright in his sudden weakness. He turned his head more to the right, further exposing his neck and throat to Heero.

“Aahh,” he breathed the almost cry, his eyes shutting tight when Heero didn’t relent.

‘Sensory overload,’ Wu Fei thought as he watched, chuckling softly at Duo’s “plight.” It was an interesting twist, seeing him at another’s mercy, and one he found himself enjoying. Even so…. “Let’s move this back to the bed?” he suggested, knowing the sun would be rising soon.

Heero chuckled and Duo moaned softly, his hands clinching where they hung pinned at his sides. Giving the reddened flesh a final lick, Heero lifted his head and looked down into Duo’s face. Lips curving upward in an almost smirk, Heero scooped up the near panting boy, knowing the other wouldn’t be able to walk just yet.

Duo curled into Heero as he was held, closed eyes relaxing with the rest of him. He remained still as Heero climbed onto the bed and then crawled further into it, near the middle where Wu Fei was waiting for them.

~You’re going to pay for that Heero,~ Duo mock threatened as he was laid down on the bed, a pillow beneath his head. ~But after you’ve gotten some sleep…and when you’re not expecting it,~ he added as an almost afterthought. He curled up slightly, a smile pulling at his lips when Wu Fei wrapped an arm around him from behind.

Sitting on Duo’s other side, Heero smirked as he reached down for the blankets, drawing them up over the three of them. “I’m so scared,” he murmured back as he laid down, propping himself up on his elbow; his fingers brushed over Duo’s neck, eliciting a shiver from him.

Duo groaned softly, realizing he’d been laid on his right side for a reason. ~Heero,~ he mock wined in a low voice, opening almost plum colored eyes to look up at the other.

Grin tempering into a soft smile, Heero caressed Duo’s cheek before laying down completely, his arm snaking out to wrap around the boy, running parallel with Wu Fei’s own.

Folding one hand up to cover Wu Fei’s against his own chest, Duo dragged his other arm up and draped it over Heero’s side. Snuggling deeper into his pillow and the two bodies around him, Duo smiled and whispered a soft, ~Night.~ ****

Heero shifted in the bed and pulled the warm body in his arms closer. Smiling faintly as he drifted between the state of awareness and sleep, he trailed fingers along the other’s back before finding loose hair. Hand moving up to the other’s head, Heero threaded his fingers through the fine, silken threads.

Having the fuzzy thought that the hair wasn’t nearly as thick as he’d expected, Heero drew his hand down. Only to draw in a sharp but silent breath, as he ran out of hair at just about bellow the other’s shoulder-blades. Eyes slitting open, he tightened his arms around Wu Fei.

~’Fei? Where’d he go?~ Heero asked, even as he felt the other slowly awaken; a questioning feel to the other’s mind.

~Where’d who go?~ came an amused, melodic voice.

Sitting up quickly, ignoring the disgruntled noise Wu Fei made, Heero looked around the room for where the mental voice had come from. A foolhardy attempt, had he not already known another was in the room with them; something he’d become aware of, once the voice had spoken.

There was a desk across the room from the bed, it’s chair pulled out with a figure sitting sideways in it. Long dark hair falling loosely behind him, though looking a bit damp, the figure was braiding a long lock of hair on the left side of his face. And despite fighting to keep the three pieces separate, as well as to keep his bangs out of the way, there was still a smirk on the pinkish lips.

“Sorry, didn’t mean to wake you,” he said, straightening further and leaning back in the chair as his braid grew in length.

“More your absence’s doing, I think,” Wu Fei murmured as he rolled onto his back; running a hand through his hair to get it out of his face, though he refused to open his eyes just yet.

“Then the two of you must be very hard sleepers,” he teased as he stood, braid almost finished. “Or perhaps simply exhausted after yesterday.” Wrapping the tie around the completed braid, his smirk morphed into a small, satisfied grin. Hands going to his hips as he tossed loose hair back with a head movement, he locked eyes with Heero.

“Sil?” Heero questioned with a hint of almost lost-confusion.

Seeing the realization in Heero’s eyes, he made his way over to the bed and climbed on. His gaze was drawn to Wu Fei as the young man finally decided to sit up, arms locking above his head as he stretched.

“What name is truly yours?” Heero demanded after a moment, frustrated but not angry. Remembering the name Valinus having been used the night before by Wu Fei.

Gaze drawn back to Heero, Sil smiled almost repentantly. “They are all mine, though each received in a different manner.” He continued after a moment’s pause, not giving Heero a chance to get irritated by the answer. “Valinus is the name my parents gave to me upon my birth…. Has Wu Fei explained to you the tendency among Mystics to have two names? One for their Mystic form, the other their human?”

Heero shook his head and Wu Fei adopted an almost sheepish expression, shrugging his shoulders apologetically when Heero turned to look at him. “It didn’t come up?” Wu Fei offered.

Rolling his eyes, Sil crossed his legs before him and laid his hands palm down behind him, leaning back on them. He’d woken before the both of them, and had slipped out of the bed and room without either noticing. After a quick shower, he’d slipped into some clean cloths before deciding he’d better get back before one of the guys decided to wake up.

He’d chosen a simple pair of loose fitting black jeans, and a black muscle shirt, similar to the green ones Heero wore in the war. Tucked into the pants, it was formfitting and yet loose; comfortable. His neck was bare of the chocker from before; instead there hung a simple opal ball charm, a three-fingered claw gripping it in place. It was strung from a length of leather around Sil’s neck. When the light hit the leather just right, one might swear to see a hint of silver to it.

“Well,” Sil started again, drawing their attention back to him. “It’s personal preference, really. Some Mystics have two names that they go by; in which case, they usually have two separate lives. One of a Mystic, the other a human.”

“Or in Valinus’ case, so he’s not as easily recognized,” Wu Fei muttered, something held within his dark lidded orbs.

Sil rolled his eyes knowingly. “Yes, that has its perks too.” He focused back on Heero before continuing. “Valinus is the name my parents gave to me upon my birth. Valinus Jadsilion. It is the name I have grown up with, and so it is the one I am most familiar with. However, as Wu Fei has hinted at so far, restrained as he has been to not point this out any more blatantly, it wouldn’t be wise for me to use it while human.” “Damned idiotic, not that you’re not already pushing the line,” Wu Fei muttered, arms crossing as he leaned back against the bed, all but huffing.

As Sil rolled his eyes again, Heero looked between the two, before refocusing on Sil. “Then which human persona is truly yours?” he asked, though the other’s appearance today should have made it clear.

Wu Fei sat up straighter and agreed that it was a good question. By his own words, Duo was a human; and though posing as a human, Valinus would not have limited himself to such degrees as he had for that persona. It was down-right stupid, and the man had more intelligence then that. ‘“Duo was a human, fighting a human war,” was what he’d said,’ Wu Fei thought to himself, recalling the other’s words from the night before. ‘A human war…yes, that could have caused problems for him as well; just as protecting a human princess/political figure could.’

“They both are,” was the simple answer given with an easy smile. “Sil is whom I normally am, when I am not Valinus. It’s derived from my last name,” he said, lips twitching a bit. Recalling how the girls had tried to talk him into a different name.

“And Duo?” Heero prompted, uncertain of how he felt about the other’s response. How could both persona’s be true? ‘Then again, if he’s grown up with two personas, one mystic and another human, then why not three? Then again,’ he thought, having caught the boy’s phrasing the night before as Wu Fei had. ‘If Duo was strictly human, unable to research as a Mystic in human guise, then was Duo created for the wars alone?’

“Duo was…is, something I think best explained when the five of us are together. I’d rather not explain it twice over, if you don’t mind,” he said, though his eyes promised to do otherwise and explain right then and there, if either so wished.

The two were silent a moment as they remained motionless, before they each gave a single, deep nod in sync; seeming to share a look, without having done so. This drew a faint smile from Sil, which slowly grew wider; eventually drawing soft chuckles from him. Bringing an arm around his stomach, eyes closed, he shook his head at the other two; essentially “waving off” the look the two did share this time.

Calming down, Sil’s grin felt so honest, that he found he couldn’t rid himself of it, and so he ceased trying. “It’s nearly noon now, though not many have stirred yet. I’d imagine you’d both like a shower before getting dressed. You’re welcome to the one in here,” he waved behind him to the general direction of the bathroom. “But it’s not really well stocked. Bare minimum and all.” He chuckled and looked around the room. “Had to pack a quick duffle after all of you turned in, and left the house so I could come back as Duo. It wasn’t a last minute decision, but I fought Relena on it all the way.”

“If you were so set against it, then why did you agree?” Heero asked as he slid from the bed; wondering why Relena would have pushed for such a thing.

Looking back to the other, Sil smirked. “Because Duo Maxwell never lies, just as I told you yesterday. She twisted that back on me, and enjoyed every damn minute of it,” he all but growled, then shrugged.

“Anyways, I’m going to take these things back up to my room,” he waved to the dresser and CDs on top of it as he stood and moved towards them. “The shower in ya’ll’s room should be well supplied. Trowa and Quatre have their own as well, so you don’t have to worry about them walking in on you.”

Gathering the CDs together, Sil suddenly found arms wrapped around him, trapping his arms to his sides. Turning his head to the side, he raised an eyebrow at Wu Fei, who was resting his chin on his shoulder.

“And you’ve conveniently already taken a shower, I see,” he mussed, chuckling at the look in the other’s eyes. “You look surprised,” he commented, lips curving upward.

“And you’re bolder then I recall,” he said bluntly, clearly speaking of their past “together.”

“Well,” Wu Fei said, a definite smirk on his lips. “Perhaps it is your appearance? You are not nearly as…intimidating, as you are now. Though, they do say time changes people.”

Sil snorted and laid his head back on Wu Fei’s shoulder. “Not so much time, as you met me under different circumstances now, I believe. You were less awed and more suspicious upon meeting Sil, Relena’s bodyguard and your correspondent. Though, then again,” he continued, lifting his head and slowly turning in Wu Fei’s arms. “Time has left her touch upon you. You are indeed bolder, and have grown more confident. Meilen would be proud, of all that you have accomplished, and that you still retain a scholar’s mind and heart.”

Wu Fei went noticeably still, his breath catching; the past-tense use of “would” not lost to him. “Then you, they….” he trailed off, unable to complete his thoughts, let alone a sentence.

“Yes,” Sil nodded once, easily slipping his arms out of Wu Fei’s slackened hold, and proceeded to wrap them around the younger Mystic. ~Heero,~ he spoke to the boy sitting on the bed ledge watching them curiously and a bit lost. ~Come hold him with me. Do you know of Meilen?~

~No,~ he responded, standing and coming up behind Wu Fei, holding him in-turn. As soon as he touched the other boy, he could feel the tension and stress in the older boy; he also noticed that Wu Fei relaxed a small bit against him after a short moment.

Though he didn’t release the boy, Sil did pull back enough to hold black opal orbs once Heero had joined them. “Yes,” he repeated, voice noticeably softer, quieter, though not quite dampened. “We felt her death. The elders, myself, my sister…and Son-Ja.” He tightened his arms around Wu Fei, feeling the boy stiffen and a wave of guilt and grief wash over him through their bond; though certain Heero felt it as well, Sil knew it wasn’t as potent for the other boy, still unfamiliar with the emotional aspect of their connection.

Sil refrained from continuing, letting them fall into silence as Wu Fei digested and accepted what was being told to him. Allowing the grieving youth to direct the conversation from there.

“…I,” he slowly started, voice quiet. “I saw the ceremonial memorial box in your room. You decorated it as befitting a warrior, given an honorable death and celebrated as such.”

Sil nodded, and communed his desirer to move them over to the bed to Heero. He waited until the three of them were settled, Heero still holding the boy from behind, legs parted and on either side of Wu Fei’s hips. Sil himself was seated in front of the Chinese youth, one leg pinned beneath Wu Fei’s knee, the other stretched out over the other’s ankles of the same leg. He held one of Wu Fei’s hands loosely in his own, his other resting on the boy’s inner-thigh.

“She was given a warrior’s memorial, Son-Ja more then the rest of us making certain it suited Meilen’s tastes. I placed the fire ashes of her Rlanete Anogrd in the Olairmem fo S’aneveh Rroiraw that I had created for the memorial. I keep her beside your Rlanete Anogrd, as I’m certain you noticed. Valandra did similar. And Son-Ja….” he trailed off, pausing for a moment, as if both bracing and gathering himself. Looking into the other’s onyx orbs, he could read Wu Fei’s desirer for him to continue, a certain knowing-suspicion forming within them. “She carries her fire-iced ashes within a S’vreol Utelma that she wears constantly, resting just over her heart.” He fell silent then, knowing Wu Fei would understand the implications and giving him time to accept and adjust.

He spent that time apologizing to Heero, knowing the other was completely lost. Well, perhaps not completely.

~I know what a Rlanete Anogrd is, though I’ve never seen one…until we went into your rooms yesterday. Wu Fei explained it to me before since he could not create one here. They’re figurines representing their depicter’s life force and soul, to an extent. Given only to those held high in regard and heart, that are close on a personal level like…best friends that act more like siblings?~

Sil chuckled, though it was mental and only himself and Heero heard it. ~A comparison of Meilin’s, I recall. An excellent way of explaining her and Wu Fei’s relationship as well. They acted the part of siblings so well, that if they had not said the same of Son-Ja and myself that I might not have believed otherwise.~

~Son-Ja?~ Heero repeated, wishing the other would simply explain and stop throwing in new factors and names.

~Sorry,~ Sil replied, giving the other a sheepish look over Wu Fei’s head, feeling Heero’s irritation.

~Son-Ja, as I said,~ though indirectly, with Heero it still counted, ~is like a sister to me. We grew up together. She and Meilin hit it off immediately, and though I do not know how close they were, it was obviously a very close relationship, for Son-Ja to put Meilen’s Rlanete Anogrd fire-iced ashes into a S’vreol Utelma. Loosely translated, it means Aijin Mayoke, or a Lover’s Amulet. Fire to denote a warrior’s demise; ice, the shards of a shattered heart left behind. Much as I had prepared myself to do with Wu Fei’s when we received no word from him.

~I don’t press her to speak with me of it; I respect her silence and grief. Though I’ve been assured that she has spoken some with Valandra of it,~ this he said to both of them, knowing Wu Fei needed to hear it. It was also an unspoken way to inform the black haired youth that he had been speaking, explaining to Heero in the silence that had fallen.

~But then,~ Heero slowly started, small crease appearing upon his brow to show the depths of his consideration and thought. ~Why is this news so upsetting to him?~ That was what he couldn’t understand; did Wu Fei not approve of a relation between the two? That hardly seemed reason enough for this kind of reaction, nor the proper type of reaction for such a reason.

Wu Fei shook his head, hand tightening briefly around the one that held it. ~No, I have the utmost respect and liking for Son-Ja,~ he quietly but confidently corrected Heero’s unspoken thoughts. He gave a soft laugh at the younger boy’s start of surprise. ~It’ll take practice Heero, to speak to one without sending to the other. I know I need a bit more myself.~

~Not funny,~ Heero said in partially mocked frustration and some true embarrassment, tightening his arms warningly around Wu Fei even as he kicked at Sil’s none trapped leg.

The three shared a short laugh and the atmosphere noticeably relaxed as the silence stretched out for a few minutes. Heero laid his head on Wu Fei’s shoulder and looked up to the other. ~Why does it upset you so, hurt you even?~ he asked in a soft and surprisingly quiet voice, fingers brushing over the older boy’s heart.

~Because,~ he reached up to loosely clasp that hand in his own free one, and brought it down to his other still firmly held in Sil’s hand. ~Meilin and I were forced into marriage by the humans we protected. And yet, they weren’t allowed the chance at even that much. And Meilin….~ He broke off, eyes closing tight to fight tears as memories resurfaced, his head bowing. ~She bore it all silently. Never once did she say anything, even mention something about this to me. Even while supporting me, she kept her silence.~

When Wu Fei finally looked back up, it was to see a soft smile on Sil’s lips and a wide spectrum of emotions in his tear bright brown-green orbs. Sil spoke up before the other could question him on either.

~She said nothing, because she knew you so well. You wouldn’t break tradition nor risk breaking the oath you took, to ease your own pain, your suffering. But had you known she suffered similar, you would not have hesitated to oppose the human elders, to go so far as to risk the oath and force them into calling the wedding off. Perhaps so far as to force the teaching of gate opening, if they’d gotten you worked up enough. And though you wouldn’t have regretted such actions, justified as they would have been, you would have hated yourself. For coming so close to an act or actions that could be seen as dishonorable. Because though others wouldn’t have seen them as such,~ he reached up with his free hand to tap at Wu Fei’s temple. ~Your mind would have. And that would slowly eat away at you.

~She would not do that to you for just a bit of assurance,~ he shook his head. ~Just the fact that you would go to such extremes for her was enough; it was the comfort you gave her in turn. The knowledge that if at any point it became too much, all she had to do was speak to you, and you would put an immediate stop to it. Though she would have insisted that anything you could shoulder up to and bear, so too could she.~

After a moment’s silence, Wu Fei chuckled softly and nodded in agreement before leaning back into Heero. ~You are right of course, on all accounts,~ he sighed in rueful agreement.

~I know I am,~ he said in mock pride. ~And I’ll leave the smack Meilin would have given you for Son-Ja to carry out…on top of whatever else occurs to her.~

“Oh joy,” Wu Fei groaned, dropping his head back to Heero’s shoulder and closing his eyes.

~Does this mean they’re here, or we’ll be going to see them?~ Heero asked a bit curiously, hopeful to the idea of going to them. That would mean going to Espheria, where his two loves grew up. He had a brief flash of irritation at himself, realizing he’d not switched over to speak verbally; he knew his emotions laced his mental voice far more then his physical one.

“No, they’re not here,” Sil answered with a small laugh, tempering his amusement. He was also assuming that the “they” Heero was referring to were his two sisters, as Trans had yet to be brought back up. This gave him a moment’s pause and he frowned. “Wait, let me see if I understand this then. None of you know how to open a gate? Not even Trowa?” he looked between the two, lips drawn down at the twin shakes he received. ‘Damn it Trans, you and I are going to have a long talk. And very soon.’

“Well then,” he smiled, eyes brightening as he gave Wu Fei’s hand a squeeze before releasing it and leaning back; propping himself up on both hands. “I guess that means I’ll be teaching the lot of you. Though not today,” he continued, glancing at the door as footsteps were heard passing by.

“Sounds like the house is waking up. Why don’t you two go get that shower and meet me downstairs for brunch?” Slipping his leg out from beneath theirs’, he turned towards the bed edge and slid off. “I’m going to take these back as I tried to before,” he mock glared at Wu Fei, who simply smirked in response and didn’t even attempt to play innocent.

“The others will probably be there too,” Heero said, stretching as he stood.

Wu Fei nodded, already making his way to the door; they’d be showering in their assigned room. “Yes, but they might not be ready to hear everything at once. We can corner him later if the two do not wish to hear everything when we sit down to talk.”

Nodding in agreement as he came up behind the other, Heero looked back to Sil, to see if that was acceptable. “Of course,” Sil nodded with a grin, shaking his head as the door was pulled-to behind them.

They were just outside of their own door when Heero paused and looked back to “Duo’s” room, then over to Wu Fei, who was giving him a questioning look. “Did he say ‘brunch’?”

To Be Continued….