Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ In Just A Minute ❯ In Just A Minute ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing and I make no money from this or any other story I write.

Pairings: 1+R

Category: Angst

Warnings: Death, Heero's POV

Rating: PG13

Title: In Just A Minute

Author: yellowhorde

Feel free to send comments/constructive criticism to me at yellowhorde@hotmail.com

Note: This ficlet/poem is my first attempt at point of view. It is my hope that practice will make perfect.

IN JUST A MINUTE

"I'll be back in just a minute."

These words haunt my dreams, words that you hear a hundred times. Innocent words.

How could I have known things would go so wrong so fast?

I should have known.

Looking back now I realize that that day was the best day of my life, the worst day of my life. It was a day of clear blue skies, white fluffy clouds, and sunshine happiness. But on the edge of the light lurked a stalking shadow and dark despair.

Together we walked, hand in hand, while children laughed and played in blissful ignorance. Never realizing how cruel life could be. A gentle wind, scented with the many perfumes of summer, playing invisible fingers through the leafy canopy, caressing our skin, ruffling our hair.

"I'll be back in just a minute."

Your smile, calm and beautiful. It made my heart swell with unaccustomed joy. It dazzled me, made me dizzy. Dressed in a bright yellow summer dress, you were my daffodil, my ray of sunshine. And at that moment, as if for the first time, I realized that I loved you, truly, passionately, deeply.

I should have known better.

Our lips met in a gentle kiss, hesitant, chaste. Your sun-warmed lips were so soft and tinted pink from the cotton candy. Nostalgically, poignantly sweet. A taste I associated with childhood. For me, a childhood early abandoned, lost before its magic could be fully explored and appreciated.

Our first kiss.

Our last kiss.

A street vendor was hawking his wares. The day was hot and we were thirsty.

Bubbling soda, tinkling ice.

Irresistible temptation.

"Would you like one?"

"That would be nice."

"I'll be back-"

Sixty seconds is such a short period of time. A lifetime, really.

How could I have been so foolish? How could I have let my guard down so completely?

It all happened so fast. A shout of alarm, a flash of light on smooth metal.

Polished, deadly.

Time slowed to a crawl and I had all the time in the world to reach for my own gun, concealed neatly under my jacket. All the time in the world to aim and fire. All the time in the world to watch your startled face as comprehension dawned, to see you jerk back as the summer's day peace was shattered. To stare helplessly as a red rose blossomed on your chest as if by magic. First one, then another.

All the time in the world was simply not enough time.

"- in just a minute."

But in just a minute your were gone, lost to me for all eternity.

And I should have known.

Because nothing good lasts forever.

The End