Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Intruder ❯ At the Gundam Wing HQ... ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Intruder - Part One
At the Gundam Wing HQ...
Disclaimer: I don't own "Gundam Wing" or any characters associated with it.
By Shiana
(~ = Thinking + "= speaking, *= noise '= quiet talk)


All the guys are around as usual, Heero hacking away on his laptop, Trowa and Quatre playing chess in the mess room, and Wufei sitting in his pilot seat in Nataku, silently going over his thoughts. Duo however was not doing anything, as usual, and, as usual, he was bored...

~ What I really need is a distraction ~ he decided, reviewing his latest plan to 'liven things up'. The other guys could tell when he was planning something, he didn't bother hiding it, but he still managed to surprise anyone else who happened to be around. Trowa in particular enjoyed avoiding his haphazard schemes, setting them off and dodging whichever choice projectile came flying toward him, because it kept him "sharp". Heero thought this was pointless, Wufei found it immature and foolish.
Quatre however found it amusing. Duo, being disappointed at creating entertainment, was already taking things to a greater scale, although exactly what he wasn't sure.


"Yeah...right...uh huh...ok thanks, bye."
He finished the phone conversation just as Quatre walked in.
"Now what are you up to, Duo?" he asked, seeing him put the phone down
"Me? Oh, nothing, y' know, just sitting around being generally out of my skull."
'Nothing new there really.'
"Really?"
"Yep, not much at all."
"So you wouldn't be planning another one of your interesting 'corridor activities' then?"
"Another?" he said with an innocent look, which was rapidly degrading into a large grin, along with the sparkling violet eyes.
"Oh, ok, so you won't be needing any help then."
Duo thought for a moment.
"What kind of help did you have in mind, Quatre, ol' buddy?"
"I don't know, depends on the stunt you're trying to pull off this time."
"Well, that's the problem ya see, I'm not sure what else I could do without Wufei trying to murder me for sure."
"Well, what if you..."


Elsewhere, Heero had got fed up of hacking into government files; it presented no challenge anymore, so he set about making up more ideas for customizing Wing Zero. He had already upgraded the beam cannon for a more powerful blast, and was contemplating installing a stealth mechanism, similar to the Deathscythe's. Of course to do that he would need to look at the existing one, inside the Deathscythe, and to do that he would need Duo's permission. It was strictly off limits for a pilot to approach another's Gundam without consent, let alone start ripping it to pieces. It was one of the unwritten rules of the five Gundam pilots, although now good friends, to let one mess around with another's equipment, without supervision.
~ No, I probably wouldn't use it anyway ~ thought Heero, as he climbed back out from Wing Zero's cockpit. As he did so he looked across at Wufei, sitting almost lifelessly in the opposite Gundam, the formidable Altron.


Trowa, having yet again defeated Quatre at chess was in the process of scanning the corridors for more of Duo's traps. He had already avoided three buckets of water, two electric jolts, and a flying chair this month. He now expected to find another water bucket, and, depending on how resourceful Duo had been in the past week, possibly a tranquilizer dart or a wet mop suspended from the ceiling. As he strolled down the hall, he became aware of a faint buzzing noise.
~ Duo must be up to his usual games ~
He ignored it, although was gradually increased in volume.
Suddenly a message echoed down the passage, announced by an electrical monotone voice over the loudspeaker system.
"Gundam Pilots, prepare for oblivion!"
Assuming that Maxwell had somehow gained access to the main control system, Trowa paid it little notice, and continued on his hall patrol.
~ But it didn't sound like Duo, it doesn't feel right ~
So he decided to look in on the main system control room. He set off at a fast jog.


At the same time, Heero, now exiting the main hangar bay, was abruptly cut short, as he heard the message over the loudspeakers.
"Gundam Pilots, prepare for oblivion!"
~ Duo, you're really pushing it this time. ~
He glanced in Wufei's direction. As he had expected, the silent form hadn't moved. He promptly left the hangar to find out what Duo thought he was playing at.


At Heero's departure, Wufei stood up. He dropped out of Nataku's cockpit and proceeded to walk purposefully towards the mess room, as he assumed that the pilot responsible would not be fool enough to stay at the scene of the crime, and he would eventually turn up to meet him there. But he had his doubts that the particular pilot was in fact responsible, as Duo preferred fun and games, rather than threats to his friends. Although he often treated him with contempt, Wufei knew that behind the mischievous exterior, there was an honorable and dangerous warrior.
~ Anyway, "oblivion" isn't in Duo's vocabulary. ~


Quatre sat with a worried expression on his face, and looked across at Duo. He was hoping that he would have that usual smirk, but to his dismay, he actually looked shocked. Turning to face Quatre, Duo asked him
"Where the hell did that come from?!?"
"How should I know? I thought you said we'd just play your music over the system!"
"I was, but when I turned it on that happened!"
"Have you checked the drive?"
"Hang on," Duo said, as he disappeared underneath the desk "...yeah, I've definitely got something," he reappeared, holding something in his hand. "What's this doin' in here?" showing Quatre the disk. "D'ya think that's s'posed t'be in there?" he asked, wiping the dust from his hands onto his already dirty jeans.
"Doubt it, but how did it get there in the first place?"
"That's just what I wanted to know." Said Trowa, standing in the doorway.
"Oh, Hi Trowa, how ya doin'?"
"Duo. I must admit I didn't expect this from you, let alone Quatre."
"Oh, good, cause we didn't expect it either, it just came on, neither of us did do it."
Quatre, while looking at the floor in shame noticed that Trowa was dripping.
"Uh, Trowa, why are you kind of wet?"
"Well in my rush to get here, I was running up-"
"-Corridor five" Duo ended.
"Yes, well that's not the concern at the moment, we need to find out who put that tape in there. We can cross off all of us, but who else could it be?"
At that moment, Heero walked in.


After seeing the three of them there a faint look of surprise ran across his features, then it was gone. It wasn't because of Duo, he knew that he'd be there, Quatre and Trowa were just there. They wanted to know what was going on too. Quatre had probably been there the whole time, and Trowa had just turned up.
It was something deeper than that...and darker - much darker.
Behind them a shadow moved. Trowa - yes that was it, Trowa. Heero dived on him, knocking him to the floor; Duo and Quatre instinctively ducked, as the glass window shattered around them.


Wufei was surprised at himself. He had heard a smash, like breaking glass, and had jumped. This wasn't Duo's doing, he knew that for certain, he wouldn't do that, well, not on purpose anyway. It was a loud noise, so it must have been close, and the biggest glass window near to the mess hall was in the main system control room, up the hall.
As he rushed up the corridor, he heard loud footsteps running toward him. He could tell it wasn't one of the others, he knew those sounds, and this was too heavy for any of them. He ducked round a corner and got ready to pounce. Whoever it was had to come round that corner any, second, now!
Chang leapt up at the unknown person and to his surprise, was knocked back, banging his head against the wall, by the sheer strength of the trespasser. He felt dizzy, but he wouldn't let go, not yet. He managed to kick upwards, at the runner's head, and the stranger collapsed. Then he blacked out...


Ok, that's part one. I've adapted this for FanFiction.net now, so the review box should be right about...here.