Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Intruder ❯ More introductions...and an explosion... ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Intruder - Part Six
More Introductions...and an explosion...


Heero was sitting in the Mess hall eating his breakfast. Wufei was also there, but you couldn't exactly say that they were having breakfast 'together', as neither seemed to notice the other's company.
Quatre was pacing restlessly across the kitchen.
~ Where had Duo got to? He's never late, well not for food. What if something had happened? And where was Trowa too? ~
He came and went, but Quatre hadn't seen him all morning.
Quatre's pacing was annoying Chang, but he said nothing, and continued with his meal. Once it was finished he stood up and was about to leave when they all heard voices down the corridor. Quatre knew it could only be the other two. His expression brightened and he got their plates out. Wufei continued to the door. Heero watched him leave.


"...Yeah, but Max is still better than Charlie. I mean, come on Trowa."
"I think everyone is waiting for us in the Mess Hall."
"Oh yeah, as if! You're just tryin' t' change the subject 'cause y' know I'm right. Anyway everyone can't be, here comes Wufei." He looked over at him.
"Hi, Chang, How's things? Did y' sleep ok? Head injuries are a real pain to sleep with."
"...No, Maxwell." He turned to Trowa, with a meaningful look.
"The others are waiting for you both to join them."
"...um, thanks"
"Hey, ain't ya commin'?"
"I do not need to"
"Fine, see ya later."
"..." Wufei didn't answer as he turned away and continued down the hall.
"Are you two having your breakfasts today, or not?" Quatre asked as he put his head round the doorframe.
"Yeah! In fact, I'm having Trowa's too 'cause he owes me one - that workout got me starved! Show me the food Quatre pal, an' I'll make it disappear!"
Quatre smiled, Duo was still in his good mood. Trowa seemed not to care about his meal being taken; it was as if he hadn't heard its fate.
"So Trowa, 's that 'k with you?"
"Hmm...Sorry, what? I was thinking."
"Tell me about it!"
"No need to, but Heero and Quatre need to hear what I am about to say."
"Oh, right. Ok, I'll sit here an' eat our breakfasts then."
"...Whatever."


So while Duo ate his meal and let Trowa have his, Trowa explained about Charlie and repeated the information he had given Wufei before.
"A lion! Really? Wow, can I see him? Is he friendly?" Quatre was excited about the idea.
"Hmm..." Heero however didn't seem so surprised.
"Heero, did you hear what he just said? There's a lion in Katherine's room!"
"Quatre, calm down, ok, mister 'perfect soldier' probably knew already."
"Well, Heero?" Trowa asked
"I could tell you were hiding something, but I wasn't sure what."
"Oh, and how...no I know, it was Duo's cameras, yes? You saw me going down there."
Heero nodded. "And I watched Duo following you this morning."
"You did huh...and what did you see?" Duo wanted to know, after demolishing his cooked breakfast, and listening to the whole conversation.
"Not much, I came to breakfast."
Duo almost dropped off his chair, but Heero didn't seem to notice.
"So you didn't see Max this morning then?"
"Max? Who's Max?"
"Duo thinks that Charlie should be called Max." Trowa explained to Quatre
"No..." answered Heero
Duo whistled ~ Man am I glad! Heero would think I was a complete fool! Oh, yeah, he already does anyway. Damn it! ~
"...But we can always check the cam's memory."
"Nah, there's really no need, we can go see him now, in real life, up close and personal."
"Actually, if you want to see him now, you should get changed first."
"Why? Don't ya think he likes my clothes?"
"No, I..."
"I think he does if this is what I think it is." Remarked Quatre.
"Whatwhatwhat? If Max put a hole in my jeans, that is just it, you can call him Charlie!"
"No, there's no hole in your jeans, Duo..." he reassured him
"Phew." He sank in his chair.
"...just in your shirt." Quatre smiled.
"Aw, man...well, at least it's not my special one."
"What's your special one? Is it new?"
"Yeah, but that's not why its special."
"So why is it special then?"
"'Cause Hilde got it for me." He beamed
Both Heero and Trowa started for the door. "Hey, where're ya goin'?"
"To Katherine's room."
"Hey wait for us!" he said as he raced after them, "I want to meet Charlie too."
"His name's Max, Quatre." Duo pointed out as he followed them all down the hall.


Wufei was taking a well earned rest in Nataku, as he heard a noise. He didn't open his eyes or move physically, but mentally he tensed, ready for action. Then he relaxed again as he heard it was just the others in the corridor.
~ Maxwell must have done well earlier. ~ he thought as in his mind's eye he visualized him as he had seen him earlier. The others hadn't seemed to have noticed, but he had short tan colored hairs over his jeans and shirt. Being short and tan, you could be sure that they definitely didn't belong to him. Wufei drifted back into his thoughts again, enjoying the peace of being with Nataku once again.


"Heero?..."
Heero looked at Trowa.
"I was wondering, how's that guy who came in here? Is he dead or what?"
"What."
Until this moment, Duo had been explaining to Quatre about how he had set up the "DCS" (Duo's Camera System), but as soon as he had heard Heero answer Trowa's question he froze, then practically leapt up in the air. On his face was his usual grin, but mixed together with an expression, almost of disbelief.
"Uh, Duo, what are you doing?" Quatre asked as he watched Duo bounce up the corridor towards where Heero and Trowa had been walking a couple meters in front.
"Did you hear that?! Did you!? Didn't you!?"
Heero had realized what he had picked up on and frowned. Trowa also caught on and a faint smile crossed his face. Quatre still looked confused.
"Hear what?"
"What Heero just said!"
"No, I was listening to you."
"Aw, Quatre, pal, even I wasn't listening to me."
Quatre frowned, confused. "So? What happened?"
"Heero made a joke!!" ~ Ok, so it wasn't that funny, but it's a start. ~
"Really?" the Arabian's eyes widened, and he looked at Heero. Trowa nodded.
"You know what, Duo?" he asked
"Yeah?"
"Your infectious personality must finally be getting to him." Trowa said mock-serious
"Y' think? Well it certainly took long enough!"
Their laughter (except Heero's) echoed down the hallway.
"C'mon let's go 'n' see Max."


Wufei had been resting in Nataku; about two hours had passed since the others had gone to see the Trowa's 'pet'. He was wondering whether he should go down there too.
~ If this lion is going to be stalking around, he needs to know who is supposed to be here. If he doesn't recognize any one of us five, it could get dangerous. For the lion. ~ Wufei jumped/dropped out of Nataku's cockpit and landed on his feet. He felt the landing a bit more than usual, and it made the room spin. (well it was more of a slight tilt actually) He chided himself for being so weak. How could he, the strongest warrior, be caught out by some weak trespasser?
~ But he can't have been weak, he barged me out of the way, as if I wasn't there. ~ Wufei was soon wandering along the corridors, in the general direction of the original pilot's wing. He wasn't thinking about anything in particular, and he caught his mind flick back to the uninvited guest.
~ Who could he be, to get in here without being noticed? ~
He hadn't thought it was possible, there were three completely separate security systems, all with different detection mechanisms: cameras, laser grids and both sound and heat sensitive monitors. Even a highly skilled and well trained person, such as themselves would have difficulty getting past these systems, and they knew this from experience. When they had been installed the four of them, (Quatre had declined) had all attempted to gain access to the buildings, none with complete success.
He frowned as he recalled being beaten by Trowa, the acrobatic insanity he had learned in the circus had allowed him to accomplish the farthest, although only beating his own martial arts agility by a pair of insignificant meters. He frowned again, and continued towards Katherine's room.


Charlie/Max was enjoying all the attention that the other four were busy heaping on him. The two he already knew had come back, bringing two more with them. One of the newcomers was great, and easily impressed, but the other had merely let him get his scent, and then hung back while the other proceeded in stroking his head and back. His original friend and the playmate from this morning were there too, giving him a good rub and the odd mischievous scratch on his back. There was one missing, he knew, because last night when he had woken he could smell a soft spicy aroma, with a faintness of antiseptic, which was also here now, but only in part, the actual origin was not in the room.
Although their scents were muddled in places, each was definite at the source. His new master, as it would appear was fresh, with a kind of freeness about him. The reluctant one was stronger, and smelled of perspiration from hard work. The excited one was very clean, he had a fragrance of soap. His new found comrade was a mixture of all of these things, but distinctly smelled of food and friendship. This one he knew would spoil him. He licked his jeans.


"I think he likes you." Quatre said smiling, "He's great, but a bit bigger than I'm used to."
"No kiddin'. He ain't a dog y' know."
"I am sure that Quatre had noticed that himself." Said a voice from the doorway.
"Ah, there you are Chang, I knew you would come and introduce yourself."
"Proper introductions, perhaps, but he already knows of me." Wufei took a few steps into the room and crouched down, with his hand held out. Charlie/Max came over and sniffed it, and moved his head closer.
"You see, Max-" He was cut off as the lion tried to lick his face. ~ Foolish beast ~
Wufei stood up and brushed himself off. Duo was smiling, somewhat suspiciously.
He soon explained himself.
"See, I told ya his name was Max, didn't I, huh?"
"What?" Trowa complained.
" Well, Wufei said Max, an' he licked him."
"He was talking to you, Maxwell, not referring to Charlie."
"Yeah, whatever."
"..." Trowa's retort went unheard as an explosion rang through the halls.
"What the ?" Duo began as Heero ran off down the hall. "Hey, wait up Yuy!"
He started to follow. Turning to the others he yelled, "C'mon you guys lets move!"
They didn't need telling once, let alone twice, and were already on his heels.


"Heero! Where are ya goin'?" The question received no spoken response, but they all knew the answer. The cupboard holding the hostage. None of them recalled ever running so fast in their lives as they did in the time in took them to get from the old pilot's wing to the hallway by the system control room. When they got there they were forced to back off, the suffocating smoke and bright flames there were far too intense for any human to stand, even a Gundam pilot.
"Aw! He's gone, there's no way he coulda survived that! Damn! I wanted t' give him a beating so bad he'd wish he'd never been born! Man! This is so not cool!"
"Well, I'd say you're right about one thing Duo."
"Heero, buddy, this really is not the time for making jokes - even if it is you."
They gathered the equipment and began dousing the fire.
~ Hilde 's gonna be here tomorrow! What's she gonna think if the place is all covered in ashes an' water? Better get this junk cleared up quick...An' my rooms a complete trash heap! Aw, I'm gonna be busy t'day! ~
He watched as the water fell from the sprinklers above, in comparison to the amount which was gushing from the hose reel he shared with Quatre. The fire was soon out, and the makeshift cell inspected. As they had first expected, there was no trace of the prisoner, and the heat from the inferno had thoroughly melted the interior of the closet, including Heero's addition to the DCS. Trowa sighed and they understood why.
They all felt the same way. Each of them had a reason to want to know, to understand why and how this, this intruder had managed to do what he had done.