Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Intruder ❯ It's a Gundam!... ( Chapter 8 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Intruder - Part Eight
It's a Gundam!...


Duo had just thrown the last shirt, jeans and CD combo armful in the cupboard and slammed it shut. He'd had to, otherwise it wouldn't have shut at all. He threw the bolt and shut the padlock. The doors bulged outwards suspiciously.
Then, staggering theatrically to his bed, he collapsed flat out. He hit the mattress so hard, he nearly bounced off it. Staring at the ceiling he wondered how long Hilde was going to be. He checked his watch, and relaxed.
~ Just over ten minutes ~ He looked down, making sure he was wearing the special shirt. He was. Then he lay back and shut his eyes.


Quatre and Trowa got to Duo's door. Gently, Quatre pushed it open, as it hadn't been locked. He looked in, and then motioned to Trowa.
'Look. He's there, on the bed.'
'And...?'
'And you can see the floor!'
'Great.' Trowa replied in a sarcastic whisper.
Duo smiled. "Y' can come in if ya want y' know."
"Oh, sorry, we thought you were asleep."
"Just restin' my eyes."
"Well I'm going to too. See you later." Trowa left hurriedly.
"Not if he's got his eyes shut he won't."
Quatre laughed. "I'm going to go and play with Charlie. Oh, sorry, Max"
"Play? Quatre, y' gotta remember he's a lion, not a dog."
"I can handle it. So you're not coming?"
"Nah, I'll wait for Hilde, then maybe join y' later. He needs t' know her too."
"Ok, bye"
"Bye."
Quatre left.
~ I wonder where she is now? ~


Heero had invited Wufei into his room, to go over the DCS on his computer.
"It'll be faster if we do half each, instead of all twice."
"I've deleted any files which don't contain the important information."
"Important? Like what?"
"Well I did a search for anything or anyone on camera from 14:56 on Thursday, March 22nd That was when the system control was accessed. Then another for April 2nd, when Trowa was shot at."
Heero noticed that Wufei 'conveniently forgot' the fact that Trowa hadn't been the only target of that time. Chang frowned, realizing what Heero must have been thinking. He continued.
"I also ran one for yesterday's explosion. The results are available through the network from my computer."
"Good. Sounds promising. Meanwhile we'd better get checking on this."
He gave the metal scrap to Wufei.
"What's this for?"
"No, not for, more, "Where's it from?" It's made from Gundanium, and it was found in the base of the cupboard."
"When?"
"I picked it up this morning."
"And it's definitely Gundanium?"
"Yes."
"Better get this recent search done then."
Heero nodded and followed Chang to the monitor. He typed up some command prompts, and gave a couple passwords, and the files came up. They started flicking through the files on screen. It was going to take a while.

Hilde was strolling up the hall, towards the pilot's wing. She'd decided that was where Duo was most likely to be, busy doing his last minute clear-up before she arrived. So far there had been no sign of anyone or anything acknowledging the fact that she was actually there, none of the guys, none of his traps, nothing. Not even the quiet whir of the security cameras following her.
~ Probably too high tech to make any noise, well, that I'd be able to hear anyway. ~
She continued along the cold, hard passage, slightly apprehensive as to where everyone was. ~ Maybe they've gone out? Don't be stupid, they knew I was coming. What if they were held up, and are late coming back? The Gundams are still here. But they don't have to take the Gundams. No, but they wouldn't leave them here without maximum security on. That way there's no chance of anyone getting in here, even me. ~
She then realized she was having an argument with herself, and promptly stopped. She had reached the Mess Hall.


Cautiously opening the door, she went in. Usually, at least Quatre or Trowa were in here, but there was no sign of anyone, not even any empty cups or glasses. Even the pack of cards and the chess set was nowhere to be seen.
~ It's been cleared away. ~ She reassured herself. ~ Quatre is a real tidy kind of guy. ~ Closing the door behind her, she carried on towards the guy's quarters.
~ Maybe they're all in their rooms. Yeah, that's it. Heero will be on his computer, an' Trowa's probably on his gym stuff. Quatre could be with him, or with Duo helping tidy up. Wufei's most likely to be training, or on his computer too, cause I already know he's not in 'Nataku', I would have seen him on the way in. ~
She turned the corner, and calmed instantly, hearing a faint but definite noise. She thought it was the so called "soft, rhythmic and relaxing tunes" of Duo's favorite rock band. Yes, she was sure now, she could just make out the crashes of the drums, and the high pitched scream of the electric guitar. She sighed. ~ Good ol' Duo. ~
Walking over to his door, she reached for the pass-pad. She would have keyed in her name on the buttons, but it was already up on the screen, with "Hello" written on it.
She smiled and gently pushed it open. He was lying there on the bed, with his eyes shut.
~ Is he asleep? Or is he faking it? How could he sleep in this racket? He must be playing it. ~ She walked over to the bed, slowly, watching him. His eyes were still shut, and his chest was rising and falling regularly. ~ Maybe he is asleep! ~ 'Duo?' she whispered.
No answer. "Duo?" she repeated, slightly louder.
*hmmn* the sound escaped his mouth as he rolled over, facing away from her.

Duo had rolled over, he'd had to, to hide the smile which was dangerously close to spreading across his face. He could make it go away with a thought if he wanted to, but now was not the time to be serious. Quickly he peeped through his eyelashes, and saw what he'd been waiting for, her shadow standing over him. He'd positioned himself so she'd either have to go around the bed or reach over him, preferably the latter. He could see her shadow on the covers in front of him, she'd fallen right into his 'trap'.
~ Although possibly willingly. ~ He thought, as slowly and carefully he tensed to pounce. If he moved to quickly, she'd notice, and move out of range. This had to be done to perfection. Something told him she was ready now.
"Um, Duo?" came her low whisper, for the third time.
The smile appeared. He sprang up grabbing her waist, and pulling her downwards, towards the bed. She had already been slightly off balanced, due to her awkward position, but now she fell straight down onto it.


For less than half a second she thought she would land on him, but he rolled across, off the mattress and stood over her as she lay on her back in the middle of his bed. He tried half-heartedly to keep the smile away, just for now.
"Honestly Hilde," he mocked "I' thought you were above stealing naps in other people's rooms." The unconvincing seriousness disappeared, and gave way to a torrent of laughter. She had been surprised, as she looked up at the false severity of his expression, but as she watched he cracked, her fleeting thought was that she was glad to be on the bed, as she was sure she would have fallen otherwise. Laughter shook her ribs, as, catching her breath, she scalded him;
"...Duo Maxwell! *gasp * You...you demon!""
"I'm not!" He protested, looking hurt. Staring into her eyes, as the grin spread wider. Loudly he announced "I am the "Shingami"!" as he jumped up onto the back of the sofa, standing in precise balance.
She smiled, it was impossible to stay angry with him for long. Especially with those big unfairly innocent blue eyes, and that mischievous smile. He dropped down off of the back of the couch, and she got up and hugged him tight, squeezing him in a bear hug. He complained and pushed her away.
"What was that for?!"
"You deserved it, you rascal! Honestly, tricking me like that! I can't believe you sometimes!"

"Aw, c'mon Hilde, y' know I wouldn't play ya unless I knew you could take it."
"Yeah, I guess. So, what's the plan now then huh? What're we gonna do today?"
"I think you should meet Max, but first y' gotta tell me how you got here early, 'k?"
"Max?"
"You go first, I'll explain after."

Quatre stood watching Trowa's version of 'just resting his eyes'. The 'clown' from L3's favorite circus never ceased to amaze him. Today it involved hanging upside-down from his own personal trapeze in his room, which was suspended from the remarkably high ceiling of his 'new' room. Hanging with his knees locked over the bar, with his arms folded across his chest and his eyes shut. The talkative blonde was at a loss for words. He had expected to get used to Trowa's uncanny acrobatic abilities, but was unable to just take them in his stride. He heard Hilde's voice over the silence of Trowa's room, and the contrasting loud music of Duo's. Rather than try to make out the words, he merely thought ~ She's here ~ as he continued to watch Trowa swinging across the room.
"Sit down, if you want." He said.
"Oh, um, ok." He looked around. The room was barely furnished, so he sat on the bed. Unlike his own it was quite hard, and not really very comfortable.
The Winner family's heir gasped involuntarily, as Trowa dropped from the trapeze to the floor, landing squarely on his feet. He looked across at his friend and smiled gently.
"We can introduce her to Charlie now, if you want."
"Ok." He agreed.
Trowa adjusted the gravity drive back to "Earth" and opened the door. They both walked across the hall to Duo's room. The door was wide open, and he was sprawled across the settee, watching something on TV.


Hilde was watching the vidscreens on the other side of the room, recordings of the events which had occurred recently, from "Duo" sabotaging the system controls, to the explosion yesterday.
"Who the hell is that guy?!" She asked. "I mean come on, he obviously knows what he's doing, and how did he get in?" turning around to face Duo, she saw the other two in the doorway. "Oh, hi guys, are ya coming in or what?"
At this point Duo looked around, though not to see who was in the doorway.
"Hilde?..."
"What?"
"Who does that guy look like to you?"
"I don't know, I've never seen him before."
"Yeah, I know, but who does he look like?"
"Um...I don't know! To start with I thought it was you, but-"
"Ok, hold it there -" turning to the door he called "Are you two commin' in or what?"
"Coming." Quatre replied.
"..." Trowa just walked in, and sat on a stool. Unlike his room Duo's was heavily furnished as they all often gathered in here. Maybe that explained the usual mess.
"Ok babe, now carry on."
"What?"
"From "but". Take it from the top."
"Well, it's funny you should say that, cause that's just the problem you see."
"No, I don't, carry on..."
"Well he's way too skinny, I mean-"
"Are you sayin' I'm fat?"
"No! No way!! I'm sayin' you're skinny, yeah, but he's just, well anorexic or something! I mean look at this here right?" She pointed to his shoulders. "Look at these in comparison to this." She pointed at his waist. "They're huge, and he's like a skeleton or something."
Quatre's expression was the picture of confusion, but Duo seemed to understand.
~ Where have I seen that shape before? ~ he wondered. The thought was there, bugging him, at the back of his mind, but just out of reach.
"...and his head's too small, I mean, yeah, the hairs the same, almost, and the clothes" she looked at Duo, "Ok maybe not today," she looked back to the screen "There's nothing here either," she said pointing at the unknown man's thighs. "I mean all you guys have got skinny legs, but there's still all that muscle from all the training and workouts and jumping that you do. And it takes a lot to pilot a MS, I'm guessing even more for a Gundam."
~ Gundam? ~
"Hold it right there, Hilde." Duo said almost in a whisper, as he moved her gently aside. He switched the main view screen to the hangar, and played with the angle for a bit. The others craned their necks around him to see what he was doing. "Just wait will ya?"


Heero and Wufei were still flicking through the snap shots from the search. Heero had the fragment in his palm still, it was cold, like space, cold and un-welcoming. The photo was of the hangar.
"Stop!"
"Too late, go through again."
~ What was that thought? ~

'Come on, come on...' Duo whispered into the screen.
The camera's view flew across the screen.
'...'
It flickered violently, and the Deathscythe appeared on the monitor. He put it on another screen.
'No...'
The camera was whizzing around, trying to get the right angle. HeavyArms came on screen. He saved the view to another TV set.
'No...'
Quatre and Hilde were watching him intently, Trowa however was staring into the floor.
"Uh, Duo?"
"Wait, Quatre..."
"Duo...?"
"Not now babe..."
Her Taurus came up on the glass. Again he moved the image out to another monitor.
'No...' he moved closer, flicking it faster. 'Come on...'
Altron became visible, and was switched to the side.
'No...not that one either.'
"Duo what-?"
"Shush, I think he's on to something" Quatre's voice was calm, yet held that hidden agitation, he was waiting for this, it was important.
Sandrock was the next to be shown, and as with the others it was denied, and switched over.
'Nope...one left.'
Hilde had been watching Duo, still slightly puzzled, but looked at Quatre when she heard a strange little sound. The expression of anxiety had been mixed with a little confusion.
"What's wrong?" she asked him.
"Nothing, I, no..."
"What? Come on tell me."
"I thought Sandrock had moved, that's all."
"Oh." She shook her head. ~ How could it have moved? Come on! That's just weird. ~
"Got ya!" Duo said. Even Trowa looked up at this, then went back to staring at the floor.
It was only Wing Zero, no trespassers, or anything out of place.
Maxwell however was very pleased with himself. He leant in closer to the screen.
*Crack * Hilde looked up at the noise.
"Duo?"
He rubbed his face. "Just static."
"Oh,"
'...Ok, now cross reference image file 'wingzero01' with file 'sabotage017' go."
*loading * said the computer.
"Come on..."

Wufei had gone through all the files now, and had got back to the Hangar view.
"What?" he asked looking at Heero.
"Hmm..."
He looked at the picture on the screen and wondered why he needed to look at it. He'd seen it so many times before. I just so happened that his Gundam, Wing Zero, was in the middle of the screen.
Wufei didn't interfere, he knew that Heero was probably on to something, although what could be gained by staring at his Gundam on a view screen he wasn't sure.
"That's it."
"What?"
"Come on, we've gotta find the others!" ~ Got to ~ he corrected himself.
Chang raced after him. "They'll be in Maxwell's room."
"..." no answer, but he knew that's where they were going. It was just down the hall.


Hilde, Quatre and Trowa all looked up as the half open door flew back and slammed into the wall.
"He's a Gundam!" Heero and Duo said together, then looked at each other, confused.
"How d' you know?" Duo asked Heero, as Wufei stood in confusion behind him.
"Shouldn't I be the one asking you?" Heero retorted.
The initial speechlessness of the shock of the other four wore off, and they all started talking at once.
"How do you know, Duo?"
"What d' ya mean he's a Gundam?!"
"What! But he can't..."
"That could explain how he got in"
"This is unacceptable!"
"Hey, hey, calm down a sec."
They ignored him.
"HEY!!"
The talk ground to a halt.
"Right. Now first of all, I think Heero should explain the situation."
"But you-" he ignored the comment and turned to the door
"Heero, if you wouldn't mind?..."