Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Kitsune-tsuki ❯ Chapter 2

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Hilde moved with stealthy steps toward the young man who was lost in slumber. She knelt beside him, and with one hand stroked the silken braid that she had admired earlier. In the same light, lilting voice as she had spoken in earlier, the young woman spoke again. "You cannot stop me."

Quickly, she grasped the braid and wound it round her small hand. With the other hand, she brought the shiny blade near the nape of Duo's neck.

"Yameru." A cold voice commanded her from the darkness.

Hilde froze and her shoulders hunched. Her nostrils flared as her gaze darted from shadow to shadow. A shape emerged from the shelter of a tall tree. A small man with unruly hair, wearing a monk's robes, came forward and frowned at her. [2]

Hilde's eyes raked over the newcomer appraisingly before she replied. "Oh sir," she said lightly, "do not fear for this man's life. I was not going to harm him with this blade. Appearances can be deceiving." As she spoke, she folded the blade and pocketed it. Spreading her empty hand, she held it toward him beseechingly.

Piercing blue eyes met her gaze. "Aa," the man agreed. "Appearances can be deceiving." He paused and stared hard at the woman. "Yet you held a blade to a defenseless man's throat."

At that moment, a low moan came from the sleeping man. Duo stretched and yawned widely, sitting up and blinking wearily. "Hello. A fellow traveler, Hilde?" Hilde and the monk stared at each other, looking almost angry. Duo wondered at this, until his stomach grumbled loudly. Two sets of startled eyes looked at him, and he laughed.

"I'm still a growing boy, I guess. Will you both join me for a meal?" He rummaged through the bag at his side. "I didn't bring much with me, but I can make some rice."

"With red beans?" Hilde asked eagerly, ignoring the monk's glare.

"Lemme see … yes, I brought the red beans. Rice with red beans it is!"

Dinner was quickly prepared, and the three ate in silence. Duo was normally quite talkative, but felt that there was something foreboding conversation in the monk's attitude. Perhaps the morning would find him more receptive. Stomach full, Duo lay back down to finish his sleep. Soon his light snoring was the only sound to be heard.

Hilde avoided the gaze of the monk, and made as if to lay down to sleep. She started when the monk lay a hand on her arm. "I do not trust your intentions," he stated bluntly. "Do you mean to kill this traveler?"

"Ie!" she stammered. "I meant only a harmless prank." She tried to pull her arm from his grasp, but his hands were deceptively strong.

Sudden realization dawned in his eyes. "You meant to cut off his braid," he said, softly and evenly. He released her, and she moved away from him quickly. He turned his piercing gaze on her once more, and said simply "Do not."

He abruptly turned his attention from her, lay on the ground, and closed his eyes. Hilde shivered and curled up on the ground a fair distance from him, watching him warily for a while before giving in to her body's need for sleep. As her breathing evened the monk, whose name was Heero, opened his eyes and gazed thoughtfully at the stars. Something bothered him greatly, and he needed to think.

---

Footnote! [2] I read once that there were many "unauthorized" monks, called shidoso, who grew their hair and wore robes. These shidoso were not ordained in a temple but wore the robes all the same. They were holy men, but often seen as a social menace … (^_^) SS.