Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ L2 Outbreak ❯ Chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Gundam Wing L2 Outbreak Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing, even though I wish I did. They so cool. I don't work with or around viruses, I just study them a lot. The virus in this is a mutated strain of Ebola, I made it up.

Day 1 1:15 P.M.:

Duo leaned back in his chair. His Biology class has just ended, and Microbiology was set to start in five minutes. He was starting to regret asking Relena to send funding to L2, but then again he had asked Quatre, too.

The first set of students started walking into the classroom. They all greeted Duo and went to their seats. The bell signaling the beginning of class sounded and Duo walked over to shut the door. Right before it shut a boy quickly slid through the door. “Late again Mr. Fitzgerald,” Duo said.

“Ha ha! Yeah,” the boy said.

“Alright, before we begin, who wants to hear a joke?” Hands shot up. “Okay. Why is Santa's beard white?”

Nobody answered. Before Duo could deliver the punch line, though, there was a loud knock at the door.

Duo walked over to answer it. “You're late,” he said to the person standing at the door. He turned to the students and said, “Everybody this is Mr. Chang, our student teacher. He'll be observing for a while.” He motioned for Wufei to take a seat in the back of the room. “Now, let's get to the punch line of that joke. Santa's beard is white because...he's old.”*

There was some laughter, and one student said, “That was your corniest joke yet.”

“I know,” Duo said with a grin on his face. “Alright, enough of that. Today we'll be studying diseases of the respiratory system. Can anyone name one?”

“Laryngitis,” said a student.

“Right,” Duo said. “Let's take a look at that one. Open up your books to page 580.”**

~*~

2:58 P.M.:

“Remind me why you're here Wufei,” Duo said.

Wufei rolled his eyes. “We think there might be a threat of bioterrorism.”

“Why are you here with me?” Duo asked. Then something clicked. “You think it's me don't you?”

“No,” Wufei said, “I don't. But Lady Une does.”

“Why would I release a bioweapon?”

“Maybe to get back at us for being kicked out of The Program.”

“But I'm trying to get back in,” Duo said. “It makes no sense for me to threaten to release a bioweapon if I want to get back in.”

“That's what I said,” Wufei replied.

“Well, she obviously didn't listen to you,” said Duo, feeling extremely pissed of at Une.

“She never listens to me,” replied Wufei. “Sally seems to be the only one there who listens to my opinion.”

“So, you and Sally must be getting pretty close,” Duo said, regretting it instantly.

Wufei looked up sharply. “What's that supposed to mean?”

“Well you two have been working pretty closely lately, so a personal relationship must be starting.”

“Duo, the only reason I'm working with her so much is because nobody else wants to work with me since you left,” Wufei replied.

“You mean since I was booted out,” Duo said with a hint of anger in his voice.

“Yeah.”

The door opened and Wufei and Duo immediately stopped talking. The student Andrew Fitzgerald walked in. “Mr. Fitzgerald, how may I help you?” Duo asked.

“I was late today,” Andrew replied. “Thirty-minute detention.”

“Ah, right,” Duo said. “Well, take a seat.”

Right when Andrew sat down he said, “OW!” and gripped his head. “Is everything all right, Mr. Fitzgerald?” Duo asked.

“Just a headache, Mr. Maxwell,” replied Andrew. “It's spreading to my back, though. I have a runny nose, too. Do you have some tissues I can borrow?”

“Keep `em,” Duo said, handing him a box of tissues.

~*~

3:30 P.M.:

Andrew was walking out the door. “See you tomorrow,” said Andrew, though his words were a bit slurred.

When Andrew left, Duo asked Wufei, “So what IS going on with you and Sally?”

Before Wufei could answer, there was a loud thud from the hallway. Duo and Wufei ran out to see what had caused the noise. Andrew was lying unconscious on the floor. Duo ran over and checked his pulse. “His pulse is erratic,” he said. “Call an ambulance!”

Wufei nodded and went back into the room.

~*~

3:50 P.M.:

Andrew's parents came running into the lobby of the E.R. “What's wrong with my son!” shouted Mrs. Fitzgerald.

Duo held her back from attacking a doctor. “We don't know,” said the doctor, a little frightened. “We're still running tests.”

”Mrs. Fitzgerald, calm down,” Duo said. “They're doing their best to figure out what's wrong. Now take a seat.”

Mrs. Fitzgerald sat down, but she didn't stop glaring at the doctor. “Well, just from looking at him what's wrong,” she asked.

“The only thing out the ordinary is a large red rash on his chest,” the doctor replied.

Duo thought of something, but couldn't remember what the illness was. Then it clicked. “SMALLPOX!” he thought. “Doctor,” Duo said, fighting to remain calm, “I need to see him.”

“I'm sorry, but I can't allow you to do that,” the doctor said.

Wufei had the thought Duo did. “Yes you can,” he said, flashing his Preventers badge.

The doctor looked at the card and hesitated before saying, “Okay.”

The doctor led them through a set of double doors. They stopped at the door to Andrew's room, but before they walked in Duo searched in a closet next to the door for three surgical masks. When he found them he gave one to Wufei and the doctor, and they all put them on. They walked through the door closing it behind them.

Andrew was lying on a bed with a machine attached to his head, monitoring his brain waves. Duo walked over to the bed grabbing two latex gloves on the way and put them on. He pulled back the covers and his eyes widened in surprise at how large the rash was. He looked over at Wufei. “This may be bad,” he said.

“Definitely,” Wufei replied.

~*~

5:03 P.M.

Wufei had Lady Une on the phone and was trying his best to remain calm. “Look,” he said, “I don't care if we don't have a lot of men, I just need them down here to stop this before it spreads.”

“Do you even know if it's smallpox?” Une asked.

“If it's not it's just as bad.”

“You don't know that,” Une said.

“Okay,” Wufei said. “Maybe we're wrong, but what if we aren't.”

“We? Who's we?” Une asked.

“I'm working with Duo,” Wufei replied.

“Are you sure that's a good idea?” she asked. “He may have released this virus, if it is one.”

“I don't believe that Duo would release a virus,” Wufei replied. “Besides, he doesn't have the necessary materials.”

Une sighed. “Alright. I'll send Sally down with a team.”

“I request that Duo Maxwell be temporarily reinstated,” Wufei said.

“Alright,” Une said with another sigh. “I'll have a temporary I.D. card sent for him.”

“Thank you,” Wufei said.

“Get to work.”

End Day 1

*My Global Studies teacher make corny jokes, so I thought Duo could do it to. **Microbiology: Principles and Explorations by Jacquelyn G. Black