Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Losing Grip ❯ Chapter 2 ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
LOSING GRIP 2/3
A Gundam Wing Fanfic

Written by Miyu, Vampire Princess

DISCLAIMER:
I don't own Gundam Wing. No money coming in, therefore no money can come out. Characters are used here without permission.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:
This part's not much more uplifting from the first. But I assure you it doesn't have a really sad ending. This part is told from Hilde's POV. Comments are always welcome.




I asked him not to go. Granted I wasn't all that insistent at the time. Still, I was scared and I thought I could convince him to stay. So we made a late delivery. It's not like it hasn't happened before.

God, this is all my fault.

Maybe if I'd held onto him longer.

Maybe if I'd explained the strange dream I'd had that night that had me frightened for his life.

Maybe if I'd just chained him to the bed.

Oh hell, who am I kidding?

Duo's a lot of things, but he isn't stupid. He enjoys the work we do, the time we spend together. He's a great pilot even without his gundam. He knew the route more solidly than anyone else. As he'd said, it was routine.

So what went wrong?

The night before he left I had this...unusual...dream. It started out like a number of others, all pleasant and cheerful. I was having a party with my friends. Duo was out flying a delivery to a settlement on MO3. I was laughing and chatting happily, just having a good old time with my closest friends.

But then it suddenly turned sour.

The sky turned from this brilliant shade of blue to a light gray. The clouds, a darker shade of gray, began to swirl and gather, as if a storm were brewing. We all rush inside as rain starts to filter downward, pelting us harshly. And after everyone is gathered in the house, the phone rings.

Now here is where it gets stranger yet. I go to answer the phone and when I turn around, everyone's gone. But I only have a minute to reflect upon this as a strange voice speaks from the other end of the phone line.

"I'm sorry to inform you that the Nautilus has been destroyed."

That's all the voice said. Yet I knew, somewhere deep inside of me, that there was more to it. That the cargo had been lost. That Duo was close to death. As soon as that thought hit me, I awoke with a jolt.

I've had my fair share of weird dreams before, but this was the first I'd had since Duo went off to fight the newly rebuilt forces of Oz.

I had one then too, not dissimilar if I remember correctly. Duo had been piloting his gundam though, and his gundam barely survived the enemy attack. I told myself it was a stupid dream and forced it to the back of my mind. I wonder, could this dream have anything to do with my most recent one?

Uncertain as to whether or not my dreams were something more than that, I asked Duo to stay home. One day. Just one day. But Duo is a better businessman than most people would give him credit for. He's built relationships with some of our clients because of his determination, motivation and most importantly, his efficiency.

"It's a typical flight, Hilde. Ships make it every day. Nothing is going to happen." He kissed me lightly on the lips. "Everything will be fine, you'll see. I'll call you once I get to Mars so we can set up another delivery."

I watched him crawl out of bed and head for the shower without another word.

When he called me from Mars, I couldn't have explained how I felt. Giddy? Perhaps relieved is a better word. My dream hadn't come true after all.

Then the phone call came. And I was all alone.

"....Miss Schreibaker, I'm sorry to inform you that your ship, Nautilus, was discovered an hour ago drifting through the merchant routes. The ship itself has been destroyed, and only one crew member was found. We rushed him to the hospital if you'd like to visit him."

It was a lot to take in at once. Still, despite the horrible images of my dream running through my head, I managed a civil and relatively calm, "I'll take the next flight in," before hanging up. As soon as the receiver hit the cradle, the tears flowed.

And flowed.

And flowed.

I don't think I'd stopped crying by the time I arrived at MO3. The tears were still flowing as the taxi dropped me off in front of the hospital. I only managed to hold back my sobs when I met the doctors who had been treating Duo's injuries.

"He's been through several rough surgeries, but he's managed to pull through," one doctor said.

"The boy's tough, gotta give him that," another said.

"He should recover in no time," said a third."

But he didn't recover.

Instead he slipped into a coma.

And that's when I lost it.

"Duo?! Duo, wake up!"

"Miss Schreibaker?"

"Duo, please. Wake. Up."

"Get a doctor in here!"

"Miss Schreibaker, PLEASE!"

"But he's only sleeping. I just want him to wake up. DUO!"

"Please, get a grip on yourself!"

Grip onto what, I wonder.

I finally get him back. Finally have him free of those terrible nightmares and that horrible war, and he's being taken away again. It's not fair. It's just NOT FAIR!

I hate that.

I hate myself.

And I hate whatever God would make this possible!

I slept beside Duo that night, heavily sedated thanks to the doctor on duty at the time of my outburst. I could see the concern and pity in their eyes as I left the next morning. If it had been their loved one, would they have done the same?

I was almost a permanent fixture in that hospital for three months. I left Duo's room only to eat and sometimes to sleep. The business was being looked after by a few of Duo's trusted buddies. I was skeptical, but even they agreed that Duo came first. Not a bad bunch of guys really.

Quatre arrived during the second week to see how he was doing. Nothing had changed since he'd slipped into a coma. All of his vital remained steady. The doctors were baffled as to why he couldn't wake up, all they knew was that they couldn't wake him themselves.

He had to do it himself.

In the weeks that followed I saw more of the old gang. More of the Gundam pilots. Trowa showed up a few days after Quatre. His sister, Catherine, was with him. Funny, but I didn't know he had a sister. Apparently, up until recently, neither did he.

Relena showed up with a relatively small entourage that included Heero. That was two weeks after Sally and Wufei appeared. It amazed me how well the two seemed to be getting along. I never knew Wufei well, but he seemed...well, happy.

By the end of the first month Duo had received so many visitors, that I had to transport a number of flower vases and balloons home. I suppose there are perks to running your own delivery service. It didn't cost me a dime.

The visitors died out around the end of the second month and now here I am, close to the end of the third month. I'm the only visitor he gets these days, although I'm told that Quatre has stopped by several times to check on his progress.

And I can assure you, it's been disappointing.

Not a single change. Not even the slightest.

Until today.

I'm sitting by his bed, crying, when I hear one of the machines to his left start to beep at a more rapid pace. His heart monitor, I think. I looked from the machine to Duo. His face was contorted somewhat. Was he in pain? Was he having a nightmare in his sleep? Whatever it was, it caused the nurses outside to start yelling for a doctor. They filed in to check on him, but none knew the cause of his distress.

Then he opened his eyes.

And his lips moved, all so slightly, and a sound like no other filled the room.

"Hilde?"


~TO BE CONTINUED~