Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Love's Redemption ❯ Miracles ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Hi!

Hope you like this fanfic. I have been posting this up on ff.net under the penname "Regina", so if you haven't seen it yet, now's your chance. Tell me how you like it; reviews are much appreciated. ^^

Summary: During a mission, Heero finds an infant child crying in its crib. Realizing he has killed the child's parents, he decides to take it in and take care of it until he can find someplace for it to go. (1x2x1, some 3x4x3 later, shounen ai, AU).

Disclaimer: Yes! Of course I own Gundam Wing! Don't you know? Mwhahaha!!! ::Gets shot by Duo for lying:: Ow… hehe, nope sorry. Standard disclaimers apply, much to my dismay… ::sigh:: Oh, but I own the baby, though. Yay. (I'm not too fond of babies. Blame it on "bad experiences from the past").

~*~

Love's Redemption

~*~

PROLOGUE

~*~

Miracles

In another blinding flash of light, the fleet of mobile suits in front of him was engulfed in flames. The navy, evening sky lit up as amazing, bright, vivid colors shot forth in all directions. Thick, black smoke billowed out from metal wounds, the defeated mobile suits landing ungracefully to the earth in a mass of rubbish and disarray. The explosion jolted Wing Zero backwards, causing the young pilot to steer clear of the mess until it faded away. Several minutes later, the thick smoke dissipated and only one gundam stood against the horizon, a dusty breeze blowing against its ankles. The brilliant, setting sun sat hovered behind the canopies of distant trees, looking on as if frightened. In approximately 13.26 minutes, Heero Yuy completed his mission.

He glanced down at the ground before him, his cobalt blue eyes taking in the land of lifeless bodies-both man and machine-scattered about like toys. At least fifteen acres of trees and forest were wiped out in every direction. Smoldering buildings lay in heaps across the horizon, casting shadows on horrified faces frozen for eternity in their unattractive posture.

His own handiwork.

Every time he did this, Heero found it more and more difficult to be the Perfect Soldier.

Trying to distract himself, Heero started to shut down Wing, moving his hands along the many buttons and joysticks almost perfunctorily. He unfastened the straps confining him to the seat and released the hatch to open the cockpit. Dry, desert air rushed inside. He knew he really should flee and hide Wing before others could arrive and find him-OZ would most likely be hailing for backup by now-but he felt the need to just get a moment's worth of fresh air.

Heero almost tumbled over onto the sand-stricken ground; he quickly balanced himself before his descent. Once he finished climbing down his gundam, his numb feet touching the hard ground, his composure quickly diminished.

Duo told him he loved him the day before he left for his mission to wipe out the OZ colony. Heero told him off.

His heart ached now, more so than his dislocated shoulder and the gash above his right eyebrow, which, he could feel, was starting to get infected. He needed medical attention, but Heero didn't worry about any of that. His thoughts were only on his braided comrade. Now he knew the reason why "love" was such a liability on the battlefield.

Slowly, aimlessly, he limped across the sandy plain, stepping over bodies in his way. He was having one of those "Oh-my-God-I-hate-myself-why-can't-I-just-die?" moments, finding himself lost in thought, his mind having forgotten about the masses of soldiers he just killed. They could be replaced. The one he loved could not.

As he was walking, Heero found himself in what was-used to be-a town shopping center, or at least its remnants. The grocery store was now a tangle of scattered fragments littering the sand. He passed by a few other stores, not being able to tell what they once were because of the damage, and halted at a large, white building. The roof and half of the left wall was torn away and crumbling somewhere. Other than that, the building was still standing and unharmed.

Heero walked to the side of the building and found the main entrance. Two small, golden crosses aligned either side of the doors. A church. He had destroyed a church-well nearly-just like those soldiers did to Duo's church. Heero's heart melted. He traced his fingers along the intricate designs on the mahogany door, tears he would not shed stinging his eyes. A sound from inside the church startled him, and Heero entered the building curiously.

His hand in the close proximity of the gun straddling his hip, Heero crept inside the church and examined the vastness of the main room closely. Pews were turned over here and there, but many were standing upright. A bible lay at his feet, seemingly unharmed in any way, except for being on the floor. Every statue in the building was in perfect condition with no harm done to just about anything. Heero thought it was a miracle almost.

The sound wailed again. A child's cry.

Heero relaxed a little, letting his hand drop from his side. He tried to follow the sound, walking around the pews in the sound's direction with a curiosity tugging at him. He entered a small room with no standing roof or walls. The desert air greeted him once again as he limped inside-or outside, for that matter-farther. In what would've been the center of the room, Heero found a small crib. The crying was now louder.

Heero stepped closer to the crib, peering inside. A small, yellow blanket covered the occupant. With a hesitant hand, Heero pulled the blanket back and found a crying baby, its small, porcelain face red and swollen from tears. When dry air hit its face, the baby-whose eyes had been shut tight-opened its eyes slowly, taking in the disheveled man before it with a newfound inquisitiveness.

Heero realized he must look awfully scary to the child, judging that his hair was tousled, even more so than usual, blood trickled down his eyelashes, and his skin was black and blue from burns and wounds. However, when the child saw his face, it immediately stopped crying and looked up at him in fascination. Its eyes were a honey brown, and it had a brown tuft of hair matted against its forehead. Heero found the child adorable.

For several seconds, both parties stared at each other, whether it be in confusion or fascination. The child picked its chubby, little hand up and reached for Heero, who stood there perplexed. He looked down at his own hands, smeared with blood and calloused from years of intensive training. He wasn't pure enough to touch this innocent baby.

Heero turned away from the crib and reentered the crumbling church. He heard the child start crying again from where he left it. On the other side of the room, he found the bathroom and cleaned himself up as best as he could. Being resourceful, he cleaned his forehead wound and wrapped a rind of toilet paper around his head to stop the bleeding. He vomited once into a stall and cleaned up again, entering the main room once more.

A large, golden cross, fitted with green and ivory gems was the centerpiece of the alter at the head of the room. Several broken chandeliers lay smashed on the floor. He stepped over the glass to get to a statue of Jesus. Not being a religious person, he didn't know who it was he was looking at, but examined the granite figure anyway. It was then at that moment that a thought struck him.

Was that child an orphan?

Well, obviously, judging that the entire colony's population should be obliterated.

So… he orphaned the child?

Heero's heart sank in his chest. This situation was reminding him more of Duo than he would have liked. He walked back over to the child's location and saw the small crib gleaming in the sunset once again. Once his head peered over the edge of the crib, the child happily stopped crying and reached for him again. Heero extended one finger out to the child, who then grabbed onto it with quite a strong grip. Heero was surprised. The child pulled him closer and cooed joyfully.

What was he supposed to do with it? He killed the child's parents. He couldn't just leave it there.

Without another thought, Heero placed both of his hands on the child's sides and lifted it up, holding it at arm's length for a moment before cradling it to his chest. The baby grinned up at him, causing Heero to crack a smile. He started walking back towards Wing.

Figuring out a way to hold the child in one arm and climb up the side of his gundam, Heero soon found himself back in the safety of his cockpit, the baby squirming around in his lap. The soft hum of Wing returning to life awoke the overhead lights, and the darkness Heero and the baby were in was soon drenched in white light. Heero looked down at the baby, wearing a blue, cotton shirt and pants with small, white socks, and found a sliver of a band around the baby's ankle.

Heero hiked up the pant's leg and found a hospital bracelet. Twisting it around, he found information on the baby, including a name. "Joseph," he whispered softly to himself, looking back at the baby who giggled at the sound of his name.

Heero smiled at the baby and positioned themselves in the best possible way for them to both be safely fastened in. Transforming Wing into flight mode, Heero took off, careful now more than ever for his new passenger. Through the waning of the sunlight, Heero and his new angel flew to the only place either of them could call home.

~*~

Wow! That turned out better than I thought!

I would luuuuuuuuuuuuuuvvvvvv to hear what you all think, so please drop me some feedback!

Gosh, I hope I didn't offend anybody with any of the religious parts. I didn't intend to include something like that in here, but when I started writing, my fingers just took off! Zoom! This took me about an hour and a half to do though, not to mention the extra hour beta-ing it and posting it. Well anyway, here is my prologue! Please drop me a review and I may just upload faster. Ja ne!

~*Athena-sama*~