Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Mad World ❯ One-Shot

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Mad World

Author: Skeren Dreamera

Disclaimer: I own Neither the song mad World, not the Gundam Wing characters. Their interactions are my idea, but the creations themselves are outside my power.

Spoilers: Endless Waltz, End of the series, Episode Zero stuff for Duo I think I hit most things really..

Notes: The war was over. It had been over for well over a month. This is what changed in that year.

~All around me are familiar faces~

~Worn out places, worn out places.~

Heero ducked his head as he passed the security guards for the airport; hands tucked into his pockets. It was like he'd never left the war. He'd been running from himself. He'd been running from his comrades... His friends. It had only been two months since that last battle, but everything seemed so washed out to him. Everywhere was the same, and he just had no reason to stay anywhere. Just like he had no reason to tell the others where he was.

~Bright and early for the daily races~

~Going no where, going no where.~

Trowa watched the rain fall down the glass of his bedroom. He had decided to stay for a little while, and he just wanted to leave now. Quatre was a good friend, but he need the circus... He needed to get away. He just couldn't bring himself to go. There was no sun out today. Here the sun was real and not an illusion. It was gratifying to see it, but also strange. He was Nanashi, and this greatness was wasted on a small soul such as he. He could only feel around his cats, but he couldn't get to them. He was trapped by his own will.

~Tears are filling up their glasses~

~No expression, no expression.~

Dorothy peered into the mirror, her eyes dull as she stared hatefully at herself. She just knew she had failed. All the hard work she had done on the war destroyed by one fool caught in the grip of a machine. She had to be there though; she had to follow the fool. Now it was all gone, and she didn't even have Relena-sama to keep her company. She knew she wasn't the only one to be left alone. Her fingers raised to her face touching the tears that were falling. They never changed her blank expression. She had to create a new goal, now that the old had been destroyed, but for now, she was lost.

~Hung my head, I want to drown my sorrows~

~No tomorrows, not tomorrows~

Zechs looked around his self-imposed prison with a wry smile. He was in the middle of a sunlit room, bottle in hand. He'd tried to destroy the world. He'd failed. He didn't really have any problem with having failed that particular mission. But he never won. His sister didn't see him as family. It was what he'd always wanted her to do, right? His best friend was dead, blown to bits by his own personal rival. Zechs toasted the bottle to the air, a sad, mockery of a smile crossing his face. 'Hope you like your victory.' He looked around the room before stumbling, falling onto the floor, his head down. He just knew this was pointless, but he kept on going. He had debts to repay.

~I find it kinda funny, I find it kinda sad~

~The dreams in which I'm dying,~

~Are the best I ever had.~

Duo woke, an odd little smile on his lips. He'd been sleeping allot in the past few months. Hilde had turned him away after the first month, and now, three months later, he was on the street. He'd always been Shinigami, but he never thought that dreams of his own demise could be so sweet. He was starting to crave them. All the others had abandoned him, and he was alone. Those dreams... He could taste the ambrosia that oblivion was swiftly becoming. Not that he hadn't longed for it before... After the church, and Solo... He shook himself, steps jaunty as he moved off with a card of stolen OZ funds to buy his supper, acting as though he'd never been struck by memories.

~I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take~

~When people run in circles, it's a very~

~Mad world, mad world.~

Relena closed her eyes, a small smile on her lips as she regarded the teddy bear that Heero had given her. She still cared deeply for him. He'd finally decided to let her know he wasn't dead. But what was the bear? A threat? A love note? A symbol? She had to admit she'd never understood the boy she'd followed to the ends of the earth anymore than she had seen the betrayal of her ideas from Dorothy. She slowly sat the bear back against the window and turned away. It didn't matter. If he wanted her to know he was alive, he could very well show himself to her.

~Children waiting for the day they feel good~

~Happy birthday, happy birthday.~

Quatre sighed softly, his hands fisted tightly as he looked around at the faces of his siblings. It was his birthday and none of his family was here... He was crying inside. His sisters weren't his family and those he considered close enough to be family were not here. He would wait. Maybe one of the pilots would show up. Maybe one of the Maguanacs would let him know where they were so he could go them. Maybe... Maybe Trowa wouldn't have left him here where he was expected to be the person on the top of the industrial ladder three months ago. he'd been his last hope, and now he was all-alone.

~Feel the way, that every child should~

~Sit and listen, sit and listen.~

Une set down the folder in her hands, slowly sinking into her seat. There was going to be another rebellion. They had Relena, and they were going to start another fight. Why? She lost the person dearest to her in the last one... Now his little girl was restarting what her father had done all in his power to stop? What evil force out there was determined to destroy that family? Une slowly shook her head, crossing her arms on her desk and resting her forehead on them. Was there never an end to the chaos?

~Went to school and I was very nervous~

~No one knew me, no one knew me~

Wufei saw the others. They didn't understand. They couldn't understand what that peace was doing to him. It wasn't a real peace! It wasn't what they fought for. He could see how easily it would fall apart and he would prove it to them. He would relieve his soul of the injustice of stealing his most worthy opponent away from this world by serving his daughter in shattering the false peace. Why were the other pilots here? What were they trying to do? I wasn't who I was before, they didn't know who I was anymore. So why was he frightened?

~Had the teacher tell me, what's my lesson~

~Looked right through me, looked right through me.~

MarieMaea was a sad little girl. She was smiling though. It was all going to be all right. She didn't believe in the fight as much as she had the world believing. She wasn't a child anymore though. She was all grown up at nine years old. No one saw her; they saw a purpose and an icon. In a way, she knew what it was to be Relena Peacecraft. They had that in common, the pair of them. She turned her head, looking at the view screen just in time to catch sight of Relena again being rescued by one of the pilots. It never failed. Wufei tried, but she knew his heart was elsewhere. No one cared just about her.

~I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad~

~The dreams in which I'm dying,~

~Are the best I ever had~

It was all over. Noin looked out over the masses of people, and simply allowed herself to believe. No longer was this threat going to scare her. She had her home, her hope, and her life. She needed nothing else. She turned her head from the crowd, catching sight of Zechs as he moved away from the crowd, his hair a golden banner behind him as he fled. He would not be seen, because he didn't want to be. Only Noin saw him. She thought she knew him. She didn't though. She would never understand what drove him to try and destroy everything.

~I find it hard to tell you, I find it hard to take~

~When people run in circles, it's a very~

~Mad world, mad world.~

Each person faced each of the others. They all saw the same thing. They were no longer going to be needed. Duo bowed his head, and was the first to turn away from the others. Next was Quatre, his expression sorrowful as he saw how far apart they had grown. Trowa merely shook his head slightly, walking to the doorway. Heero looked to each face or back that was presented to him, and he smiled, a sad smile, but so rare none questioned. Wufei turned from the sad smile, reaching to take the hand of the little girl next to him. MarieMaea could only understand, squeezing the hand that took her own. Relena was there, staring at the tall figure of her brother so sadly. Zechs was in his Preventers uniform, the oddest twist to his lips as he studied the floor. Une shared a look with Noin, each conveying their own message, and neither swaying the other. Dorothy looked at them all, finally breaking the horrible silence that was within each of their broken souls, and fixing it with the oddly fitting words:

~Mad world, mad world.~

~All the dreams are walk around~

~Mad world... Mad world.~

"It's a mad world, and we survived it. Please, could we make sure not to let any of us be alone anymore?"

And that was that.

Owari.