Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Mission Accepted ❯ Mission Accepted 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Mission Accepted: Chapter Three...

“I’ve been missing for six years?” Relena said. “But that’s not possible! I... I’ve been. I don’t know...” Relena lost her balance, thankfully the coffee she had poured was still sitting on the counter verses in her hands. Wufei caught her and picked her up. He walked across the room and sat her on a small couch that she hadn’t even noticed until now.

“It’s ok, you’ll be fine, just calm down.” Wufei said. “Deep breaths. Alright. Do you remember March 18 A.C. 201?”

“Yes, that’s today.” Relena said, looking strangely at Wufei.

“No Relena, today is March 18 A.C. 207. You’ve been gone for six years.”

“No, no, no. I-I” Relena stopped as she figured out her situation. “It’s the machine.”

“What, Relena, you must still be phased.”

“No! The time machine. A.C. 201, Preventers had developed a time machine, but when they tested it on Noin, it didn’t work and she got hurt. But after she did, I went back down to the basement and ended up trying it out. It worked, but I guess me coming here basically deletes myself for those six years I traveled here.” Relena sighed.

“You what? You tried the time machine? You know you could have gotten hurt, or killed? But look at what happened! You disappeared for six years, Relena! Do you know how that has effected all of us?” Relena knew the public and even the Preventers must have been stunned. Not to mention, the government was probably on the Preventers backs to try and find her, so it must have been hard.

“I guess so. How long did it take you to figure out that I was gone and file me away?” Relena asked, wondering if Wufei got to do the honors of doing he paperwork himself what with sitting behind that desk and all.

“We didn’t. Preventers don’t give up on their cases, especially you.” Seeing her confused look, he gestured to the papers he’d been looking over when she’d come in. “You see those papers? They are the reports from your case. What your apartment, office, car looked like when you went missing. Where you were last seen. Who you spoke to. Everything. The Preventers don’t give up. And they told me that when I found you I could get a field job again. Here you are.”

“Wufei, I’ve got to go back to A.C. 201. Then you will have had the opportunity to get a field job and not have it resting all on me. So, if I go back, then things will be better, I will never have disappeared.” Relena said. Getting up off the couch, she walked towards the door. “Aren’t you going to help me, Wufei?” Relena said when she turned around.

They left the room and saw the machine sitting in all it’s majesty. “Did you guys ever think about going back in time to follow me around and see where I went that day? It would have been easier.” Relena smirked back at Wufei when he rolled his eyes and gave this expression that said ‘why didn’t I think of that before?’.

She got into the machine, taking a seat, and had Wufei do a lot of the twists and turns that she never figured out how she managed to do. While she watched him, a thought went through her head. “Wufei, you’ve changed.” Seeing his expression and the fact that he wasn’t prepared for that, she said, “Well, you’ve been nice to me. I just like it that you aren’t being cold like I remember you.”

“Well, I just didn’t know how to act back then.” He sighed, messing with a few wires. Obviously the thing hadn’t been used probably since she had gone missing. “I just wasn’t used to not fighting. I just hated that I was stuck in a building behind a desk all day while everyone else got to fight. It was in my nature, I couldn’t be kept dormant for so long you know. What my one wish was back then was to have been able to make friends and meet people, like you, Relena. I’m sure we could have been friends, if I’d only tried. You know how cold I was to everyone back then.” Wufei was opening up to her, that was so sweet.

He finished. “Alright, you’re all set to go. Now, you better go back and not get into this thing again. You sure did give us a living hell for a life for a while. And even when things did calm down, nobody has been the same since you left...” A series of noises announced that the machine was working its magic. As the doors were closing, Relena saw the same sad, lonely look in his eyes that she’d often seen in her present times.

The doors closed and Relena once again felt the odd sensations that she had experienced before. As things quieted down, she opened the doors only to come face to face with who she’d been talking to before. At first, she was thought that it hadn’t worked, but then when Wufei asked her what she was doing, she knew that she was back where she needed to be.

“Sorry, tired it out. Turns out, the thing works.” Relena said when she walked past Wufei.

“It works? You mean you actually went somewhere?” Wufei asked.

“Yes, I did. I went six years into the future. And I had a good talk with you. Now I have learned a few things about you.” Relena said as she walked towards the elevator. Seeing his ‘like what?’ expression on his face, she explained.

“Wufei, I know that you are only cold to people because you aren’t a people person. And the fact that you always seen to be in a bad mood is because you don’t know how to act. You also are not happy with being cooped up in a desk room all day when the only thing you know how to do is fight. And even though you are around people that you know, you still are jealous of them because they get field jobs and you don’t.”

“And,” She continued. “You said to me that you wish you could meet people and make friends like everyone else does. I know you want to make friends, Wufei. It’s not that hard...”

Relena had really startled Wufei. She read him like he was an open book. He felt exactly as she described him. And even though he did feel that way, he didn’t want to always feel like that.

Seeing that she was exactly right, Relena walked towards the elevator and made her way up to the first floor to go home.

“What was it like?” Wufei really startled Relena when he grabbed the elevator doors before they closed and then walked in. Not to mention that fact that he was starting conversation with her. “I mean, what was it like, seeing everything in the future? Where were you?”

“Not much was different... Headquarters looked the same, save a few people and what they did or looked like.” Relena told Wufei about her experience in the future and how she was missing. When they reached the first floor and were walking towards the lobby, both still into a conversation, Heero walked out of the adjacent elevator and stared at them talking together.

“Oh, Yuy.” Wufei said flatly. He wasn’t so sure that he liked the interruption in his conversation.

“Hello, Heero.” Relena said, not exactly expecting an answer and unsurprised when she didn’t get one. “Well, I must be going.” And in a daring move, Relena turned around and said to Wufei, “Will you walk me out?”
Heero was surprised, or really past that because usually Relena would ditch anyone that she was talking to and come after him, and he was actually hoping to get a chance to walk her home and talk to her. (A/N: Yeah right, Heero? talk?)

And if Heero was surprised, then Wufei was already chopped liver...

He wasn’t really sure why Relena didn’t go with Heero and ditch him. Not that he’d care or anything. Come on, it was the reaction that everyone would have because ever since she met him years ago, Relena was completely obsessed with Heero and the peace, or lack there of.

“So, Wufei. What are you working on now?” Relena asked as if nothing unusual had occurred in the building.

“Nothing. I recently applied for a transfer to a field job. I hope that they give me one. As you’ve suddenly become an expert on me, I guess you could understand my need for action and space.” Wufei opened the door for Relena and they walked out.

As it turns out, Wufei had walked Relena home as they were tied up in some kind of conversation on her upcoming conference throughout the continents.

“Thank you for walking me home, Wufei. If only just because we were caught up in conversation.” Relena extended her hand.

After a curt shake and a nod on their parts, Wufei bid goodnight to her and walked along home, which happened to be in the opposite direction past Headquarters. But walking home now, he felt a strange bond with Relena, somehow.

So, while Wufei was questioning himself on why he went out of his way for this girl, Relena had a few things wandering around in her mind too.

‘I’ll get you a field job, Wufei...’

A few days later, March 21, Wufei was called into Sally Po’s office for a meeting.

“You called, Sally?” Wufei entered her office early that morning.

“Go ahead and shut the doors, Wufei.” Sally said.

Recalling a phone conversation between her and Relena the afternoon before, Sally sat at her desk, Wufei across from her, and cleared her throat.

************

Tsuyoku: R&R... read on, plz...?