Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Never Say Let Go ❯ Chapter 5

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Never Say Let Go

Author: Skeren Dreamera and Hoshi-Tachi

Notes: You will now see how the hell we bring in the other characters! Yes, we do have a plan!

Chapter five

"Oi, wait up, will ya?" Duo called out as he shrugged the large book in his arms into a more comfortable position. "Geez, Sev, what's with the hurry?"

Severus paused and turned to him just outside the enormous doors, his face swiftly turning a rather alarming shade of red. "Maxwell, why do you insist on calling me that imbecilic- oof!" The teenager watched with some surprise as the professor stumbled forward, catching himself on one of the half-open doors. Recovering almost immediately, he spun, and glared down at the small boy sprawled on the floor. "What do you think you are doing, Potter," he hissed venomously.

The boy blinked dazed green eyes at him for a few seconds, then paled as he realized what he'd done. "P-professor Snape!" he whispered, voice horrified, and scrambled to his feet. Duo peered around the potions master's robes and was rather disappointed to see that the so-called savior, while short, was still a couple inches taller than he himself was. "I-I'm so sorry, sir, I was trying to catch up with Ron-"

The professor seemed to expand, suddenly filling more space than his lean frame should have warranted. "Be that as it may, that is no excuse for running in the halls and assaulting a professor! I have half a mind to-"

Duo slid forward, waving his free arm around between the two as he gave Severus a rather questioning look. "Just what are you doing man? He didn't assault you! It was a little accident. Hell, you should have been lookin' where you were going instead of trying to outrun me. A little crash and burn never hurt anyone." Shaking his head, he sighed, wrapping his arm back around the book he was holding. "Just let the kid get to the hall instead of trying to scare him, alright? What did he ever do to you?"

For his part, the potion's master seemed to be in some form of shock, staring at Duo as he tried to come up with a suitable reply to the American boy's accusations. He then glared at the green-eyed boy, making his voice suitably cutting. "Go! Get out of my sight before I take points from your house!"

Severus waited until he really was out of his sight before he turned to Duo. "Never again will you question my authority in front of my students," he snarled out, looking as pissed as the teenager had ever seen him. Then he whirled about and stalked off down the corridor, with his fists clenched and his every muscle screaming with tension.

Duo let out the breath he'd been holding, staring after the older man. "Rowr," he finally muttered, and took off after him, albeit at a much slower pace.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Harry sank down onto the bench at the Gryffindor table with a sigh of unadulterated relief. "Merlin," he muttered, scrubbing a hand over his face. "I thought I was dead for sure that time..."

Hermione frown at him, concerned, and beside her Ron paused the torrential flow of food to his mouth. "What do you mean, Harry? What happened?"

The Boy-Who-Lived shuddered. "Snape," he answered succinctly. "I was running, trying to catch up with you guys, and I ran into him... literally."

"And you aren't dead? Did you lose a ton of house points then?" Ron's eyes widened ad he actually put his fork down, staring at Harry with no little amount of trepidation.

The bookish girl next to the Ron elbowed him. "If you'd be quiet, I'm sure he'll tell us what happened."

Rubbing his side a little, the boy nodded, looking back at his friend with undisguised interest. "Well mate? What happened then?"

The black haired boy shook his head, still seeming mildly in shock. "Snape got yelled at by the new kid."

"You're kidding." Ron gaped at him, and at his friend's nod, started to grin. "That... that's... incredible!"

Harry felt a grin of his own slowly spreading over his face as the shock wore off. "I know... It was amazing! Snape was starting to yell about my attacking him, and the guy just got in his face and told him off!"

"Oh, dear," Hermione murmured, face worried. "What?" she said defensively as they stared at her. "Stop looking at me like that. I'm just as pleased as you are that someone finally stood up to Professor Snape, but..." She shrugged, frowning. "I'm a little worried what he'll do to that boy now..."

The two of them winced. "The poor bloke..." Ron muttered sympathetically. "I'd hate to be in his shoes..."

Hermione blinked at him, then started to smile. "Ron Weasley, do I dare to believe my ears? You, feeling sorry for a Slytherin?"

The redheaded boy flushed, looking sheepishly down at his plate. "Hey, he helped Harry out of a jam, didn't he? And, and..." he brightened as a thought occurred to him. "Maybe the Hat sorted him wrong? I mean, he's American, and you know how they are... Maybe the Hat got mixed up 'cause he was different."

"Or maybe Ron, you will just have to admit that not all Slytherins are bad, won't you? Not all students who come here are English you know." Hermione shook her head, letting a small grin cross her face. "But I suppose the only thing we can do is help the new boy out, right?"

Harry watched the pair and shook his head, finally starting to eat. "I say we get to know him and see just why he didn't look scared out in the hall. It was like he knew that Snape wouldn't contradict him. And he didn't! He just told me to get away from him."

Ron shook his head, in awe. "I have to meet this bloke face to face, I just have to!"

-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Severus finally came to a halt in front of a time-weathered oak door, and after scowling in Duo's general direction, opened it with a key from his pocket. The boy followed him in, and only just missed being hit with by the closing door, which the dour professor had failed to hold open for him.

"Ya know, I'm startin' to get the impression you don't like me," he quipped with a humorous grin, plopping himself down in one of the uncomfortable chairs that cowered before a great monstrosity of a desk. The desk itself was covered with papers, even though the school year had only just begun.

"Really. I wonder why." Severus settled into the desk's leather chair with a grimace. "Now, as I don't want to prolong this any more than I have to, I need to inform you as to what your classes will be like for the next several weeks."

Duo simply grinned, fidgeting a bit in his chair. "Fire away, teach!"

The Head of Slytherin stared at him for a moment. "Oh, don't I wish..." he murmured darkly, fingering his wand.

The boy cocked his head, puzzled. "What was that?"

"Nothing." Severus shuffled a couple of papers. "Now, first of all, you need to choose which- Mr. Maxwell, are you listening to me?"

The teenager had apparently only just spotted the various jars of preserved specimens that lined several shelves in the room, and gotten up to examine them more closing. "Yeah, yeah, I'm listenin', I swear," he said absently, waving a hand as he peered even closer at a jar that held what looked like a pickled mongoose. "Go right ahead."

The professor scowled at him. "As I was saying, before we can arrange your classes and tutoring sessions, you must choose your electives. The list of available classes includes-"

He was interrupted as Duo 'eeped!' and back away from one of the jars. "Oh, what is it now?" he asked crossly.

The braided boy glanced back at him with wide eyes, then pointed an accusing finger at the jar. "That thing just winked at me!" he said, voice a bit higher than normal.

"Yes, that particular specimen tends to be rather cheeky, like another person I'll not bother to mention. Now, if you'd sit down, we can proceed with the making of your class schedule!"

Severus gestured, and Duo actually sat, still eyeing the jars. "You mean those things are still alive in those jars?"

"Yes, did you expect otherwise? It is the best preservative for them. We are not here to discuss my office at the moment however. We are here to discuss your class schedule. Now, as I was saying before your untimely interruption. You need to pick some electives that will go with your core classes. I have a list here, that explains what each is." The black haired man decided speaking all at once might get this wearying task out of the way.

"Wait, I need to know what I got for my main classes first. Don't get me wrong, the extra's are gonna be there too, but I need to know how much I already have on my plate." The pilot nodded a little and looked expectantly at the trained wizard.

Sighing in a put upon manner as that tactic didn't work, he shook his head. "The only non-elective class you'll be placed in with your peers will be History of Magic. Most of your electives will also be with a peer group."

"Why that class? And what are the other classes I'm not getting with my classmates?" He wanted that answered before they went any further, thank you very much.

Severus sneered. "Albus didn't see much point in tutoring you in History of Magic, as I understand most students simply sleep through the class anyway. And you will be receiving private instruction from Professors McGonagall, Sprout, Flitwick, Sinistra, Umbridge, and myself." He sighed at the blank look on the boy's face. "The subjects are Transfiguration, Herbology, Charms, Astronomy, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Potions, respectively."

Duo nodded thoughtfully. "So, at least seven classes, plus the electives... Herbology shouldn't be too much of a problem, and..." Suddenly, he stopped, and blinked. He looked up slowly, and Severus was surprised to again see that his eyes had changed from their usual cobalt to a deep violet. "Excuse me, but did you just say someone will be tutoring me in Astronomy?" he asked, carefully enunciating each word.

The older man frowned, unconsciously leaning back in his seat. "Yes, I did. Every other student in your year has had four years of instruction, and you'll need to catch up-"

"That will not be necessary," Duo interrupted, still speaking in that eerily precise tone of voice.

Severus narrowed his eyes into a comparatively mild glare. "Mr. Maxwell, I hardly think that you would be able to keep up with your classmates with so much to learn. Astronomy is a very detailed subject matter, and-"

The teenager stood again, somehow appearing taller than he had been before. "I was born and grew up in space, *Professor*. I made my first space walk when I was twelve. I find myself seriously doubting that this Sinistra person could possibly teach me anything new about the stars."

"You... what?" He blinked a few times, trying to understand that comment. He'd known the boy was odd, and that he'd come here from elsewhere, but he had given no credence to the possible idea that the teen was really from some other world or time. "How is that possible?"

Taking a deep, rather annoyed breath, that violet glare failed to ease, though a little understanding flickered to his face. "It is possible because I am not from now. I told you that before. Now, Professor, you will be putting me in the Astronomy class with other people my age, won't you? Cause if you aren't going to, I think we need to make a few things a little clearer."

Severus returned the glare with a stare, losing all of his own anger as he read that the boy truly wasn't lying to him. "Fine. We'll discuss those things you mention at another time. I have a class in an hour, and this needs to be finished before then. Astronomy at fifth year level then."

"Good." The smile reappeared with almost disturbing ease, though the anger didn't really seem to leave him as he relaxed back. "Now, what were ya saying about electives?"

It was only twenty minutes later that Duo left the office, having chosen four electives despite the professor's warning him his class load would be hell. Care of Magical Creatures sounded like an interesting class, one that the pilot was sure Trowa would have loved. He'd always liked languages and mathematics, so Ancient Runes and Arithmancy (once Severus had explained just what the latter was) were definite pluses.

And as for Divinations... okay, he didn't actually have a legitimate reason for that, but it sounded cool. And if he didn't like it he could always drop it.

With that thought in mind, the braided boy ambled aimlessly through the dungeons of Hogwarts. Well, not really aimlessly- he was trying to find the exit, after all. Damn it, he'd memorized the plans of over a dozen Ozzie bases just from a quick glance at the plans, why the hell was this castle giving him so much trouble?

He was very nearly at the point of turning around and retracing his steps when he heard some odd sounds echoing through the stone corridors. Puzzled, he slowed his pace as he came to an intersection, and was glad he did as his ears finally identified the sounds as those of a struggle.

Cautiously, the Gundam pilot peeked around the corner. Beyond, just a few yards down the passageway three young boys with Slytherin badges on their robes were huddled around something. As he watched, one of them pulled back his foot and kicked at whatever was in front of them, and the teenager heard a sharp yelp ring through the air.

It was only then that Duo realized what they were doing- torturing some poor, defenseless animal. He'd occasionally seen other kids doing it on the streets of L2, and hadn't liked it then, but as one of the scrawniest street rats on the space station, he hadn't been able to do anything about it.

Well, he was a lot bigger now, and a lot older, and there was *no* way in hell he was just going to stand by and let someone's spoiled brats hurt another living being. "Hey!" he called out, steeping into sight, "What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

The reaction was almost instantaneous, as the boys instinctively flinched away from what they were tormenting. Duo almost growled as he saw the poor dog, curled in a ball on the cold stone floor. Damn, the thing looked half-dead as it was, with most of its ribs showing clearly beneath its coal-black hide. Even from this distance he could see several small wounds, a couple of which bled sluggishly.

"Nothing! We weren't doing nothing!" one of the boys, a first or second year with mousy brown hair said quickly, made nervous by the presence of an upperclassman. "Honest!"

Duo stared at the boy, astounded. The sheer gall of the brat, to lie to him to his face when the evidence was only a few feet away, whimpering! "Nothing, is it?" he asked, voice deceptively calm. "Would that be the same nothing that is currently dripping blood on Hogwarts' nice clean floors?"

The kid blinked at him, confused. "Er, yes?" he answered uncertainly.

Duo frowned. "I see..." He seemed to think for a moment, and nodded, as though he had made a decision. Then he moved, so quickly it was only a blur to the other children, and in the space of an instant he had the boy pinned against the wall with one hand.

"Look, you little shit, I don't care what your excuse is, or who your parents are," he hissed, glaring at the now terrified boy. "I don't even care if you decide to go running to a teacher, crying about the big bad bully who scared you. If I ever see you pulling shit like this again, or hear you try to lie about it, that poor mutt will have gotten off light compared to what I'll do to you. Comprendes?"

Shakily, the boy nodded and kept nodding, tears running down his pudgy face. With a contemptuous sneer that would have done Severus Snape proud Duo let the brat fall to the floor, and turned to his buddies. "And you? You get all that?"

They nodded as well, faces scared, and the pilot stared at them for a few moments. "Well? What are you waiting for? Scram!"

They scrambled to comply, one rushing forward and pulling his weeping friend from the floor before they all took off in the opposite direction. Duo rubbed a hand over his face as he watched them go, feeling suddenly old and tired. Then another thin whimper reached his ears, and he turned back around.

The rather large dog was trying to stand, and the teenager was quick to kneel and brace him with a hand. "Hey, easy there, buddy. Looks like they hurt you pretty bad..." he stated worriedly, carefully to keep his voice to the kind, gentle tones Trowa had taught him to use around hurt animals. "Here, let me take a look at ya..."

It was bad, he acknowledged, taking in the cuts, scrapes, and patches of missing fur, as well as an odd burn he realized the students must have used their wands to cause, but it could easily have been worse. The starved and possibly dehydrated state he suspected the animal was in worried him more, since they would complicate his recovery.

Duo nodded slightly, making a decision, and stood up. "Come on, boy, let's go get you fixed up. I have something that'll clear those cuts right up-"

His voice faltered as he received the shock of his life. One moment there had been nothing but a wounded, underfed dog standing before him, and then in the next the beast was overshadowed by a ghostly, shimmering mirage. It was as if a photo had been taken, and then the negative used on top of another picture. Except the... shade was of a person, and the original a dog...

That wasn't what shocked him, though. Weird things were only to be expected in a magical castle, after all. What stunned him, and left him for once in his life speechless, was that he knew the person.

"Zechs?!"

To be continued.