Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Never Say Let Go ❯ Chapter 11

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Title: Never Say Let Go

Author: Skeren Dreamera and Hoshi-Tachi

Chapter Eleven

The next morning was the one that Duo had a note that he needed to be up early for. He needed to go get the more personalized supplies, like clothes and a wand. "Shopping." He looked around, realizing he'd woken up before the other students... and that it was still dark out.

"'Kay... so maybe I'm a teensy little bit eager to get out of wearing the same clothes over and over..." And this comment, of course, woke up the sleeping dog beside him, who had apparently jumped up at some point during the night.

Peeling an eye open, Sirius whined questioningly, and Duo grinned. "Someone's supposed to take me somewhere to get clothes and stuff. Don't get me wrong, this is my favorite outfit, but it'd be really nice have something else to wear..."

Waking up a little more at the news that the teenager would be leaving the castle, Sirius fixed him with a stern stare. "So, ah... I take it you want to go with me?" the American asked carefully.

Glancing around, the older wizard took in the hour, and the lack of people awake, and drew the curtain shut so he could actually talk, if in a whisper. "Of course I'm going with you!"

Blinking a few times at the man now sitting in front of him, he had to grin. "You got blue eyes."

Confused over the topic change, he nodded cautiously. "Yeah..."

"I'm going to still call you Zechs." Ruffling the man's hair, he then considered just what he'd need to get and crawled out to get something to write a list. This was going to be great.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-

When Severus stepped into the Slytherin common room at a slightly more civilized hour later that morning, he found the student he was searching for curled up in one of the more comfortable wing backed chairs in front of the fire. A book was in his hands; the fifth-year course book on potions, the professor in him was pleased to note. Black was sitting rather blearily beside him, and looked up at his entrance with barely-concealed relief.

The wizard grimaced. Apparently the mutt appreciated mornings about as much as he himself did.

"Hey, Sev!" Duo chirped brightly, seeing him lurking there in the doorway. "You the one taking me to this alley place?"

"No," Severus replied shortly, having pretty much given up on getting the boy to ever refer to him properly. "You're to meet Hagrid in front of the Great Hall in twenty minutes."

There was a pause, then the American visibly perked up, getting to his feet as he closed the book with a snap. "Great! It'll be fun to get a chance to talk to the big guy for real. Oi, Zechsy, c'mon, time to go." He paused, looking back to the black haired wizard who was already standing. "Oh... Is he going to feed me or am I needing to eat before I go?"

The potion's master stared at the very alert teen for a few beats before venturing to answer. He'd never understood morning people. "He'll be getting you some food in Diagon Alley, yes." He shook his head a little as the boy hurried to put the book back in his dorm, only to see the animagus getting to his feet with a huff. "Oh, so you're planning on accompanying the hellion, are you Black?"

The dog shook himself, working the kinks out, and nodded. He sent the professor a look that clearly stated he wasn't planning on letting the kid out of his sight... even if it meant he had to actually get up in the morning.

"Well?" Duo said impatiently, hoisting his knapsack over one shoulder. "We going to get moving, or what?"

Black rolled his eyes at the teenager's totally inappropriate (in his opinion) enthusiasm. Sighing, he walked over to the doorway and past Severus, who twisted to follow his passage down the dungeon corridor. Actually whistling, the young American took off after him, quickly catching up, and the Head of Slytherin shook his head bemusedly.

No, indeed not, he thought as he closed the entrance to the dorms. He would never understand the mystery behind the disgustingly good cheer of morning people.

Especially that of the one named Duo Maxwell.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Hagrid, who'd been up about as long as Duo, was far more understanding about his morning enthusiasm. "'Ello! Yer ready ta head to go doin the shoppin' then?" He paused, glancing to the big dog who wandered in behind the boy. "Why who's this fine fella?"

The American boy turned, digging his fingers into the fur where he'd found wouldn't bother the animagus. "This is Zechs. He doesn't have a collar or nothin yet, but he could probably use one, just so nobody gets the bright idea of making off with him, y'know?"

"He came with yer then? Well, he is a big fella, usually they dun let the students have nothin so big." He was studying the dog closely, a grin spreading across his face. "A fine one though, even if he's all trussed up."

"Yeah." Duo ran his fingers over one of the bandages. "Some brats were bugging him, and I chased 'em off." He considered the dog critically for a moment. "I think I should be able to take the bandages off tomorrow. Air'll help the cuts heal up the rest of the way."

Hagrid practically beamed. It was good to see someone from the serpent house willing to help something in need. "Alrigh', then. Let's get goin'." He turned and lumbered- okay, so he was actually walking normally, but it was hard to imagine someone of his size not lumbering as they walked- into the Great Hall, which at this time of the morning was completely and utterly empty.

He led Duo over to a rather large fireplace set into the wall, where despite the hour a fire was already crackling cheerfully. "This 'ere's Floo powder," he said, pulling a small jar from somewhere inside his voluminous robes and unscrewing it. "Now, what yeh 'ave teh do is take a pinch or so, then toss it on in." He demonstrated, with a pinch of the silvery powder that would have been a handful for anyone else.

Duo jumped as the flames suddenly turned a bright green. "An' now, all yeh have teh do is step righ' in, and say where yer goin'. We're headed teh the Leaky Cauldron." At the American's more than slightly disbelieving stare, Hagrid chuckled. "Don' worry 'bout it. One o' the safest ways teh travel. Just remember the keep yer elbows in tigh'."

Giving the half-giant a wary look, he stepped forward and finally did as asked tossing a puff into the fire. "Leaky Cauldron." He didn't seem very enthused, but flinchingly stepped into the fire. A second later he rolled out, coughing on the soot.

"'ere now, you all right, lad?" a kindly voice asked, and Duo felt a pair of hands wrap around his waist and pull him up.

Once he was no longer lying on the floor- and once he'd managed to get most of the soot out of his lungs- the Gundam pilot looked up into the face of his benefactor and only just held in a wince. Damn, now there was an ugly guy... bald as sin, and a three-day-old infant had more teeth...

Still, he seemed like a nice guy, and Duo gave him a tentative, grateful smile. "Thanks. I think I can truthfully say that will never be my favorite way of getting' around..." he added, pushing himself to his feet.

"I wouldn't worry overmuch, it's not the way I like it any myself. You're not here by yourself are you?" The man moved back a little offering a hand up, which was taken with only a seconds hesitation.

There was another puff of soot, and Hagrid came in behind him. "He's bein' with me. Is yer alrigh' Duo?"

The teenager nodded, waving the fresh wave of soot-filled air away from his face with one hand. "Yeah. Just peachy, in fact. Do we really have to go back that way?" he asked plaintively, turning on what Quatre had always referred to as the Dreaded Puppy Eyes.

They seemed to be working, as the face of the enormous professor visibly melted, but then he shook his head. "Sorry, but there's no other way o' getting' teh Hogwarts. Not for us, anyway. Maybe next time we ken ask the 'eadmaster teh make us a Portkey."

"A what?" The American boy looked at him blankly for a moment.

The rather odd looking man nodded a little, heading back for the bar. "He's a new student then? He's rather mature for a first year."

"Hey..." The protest was cut off by a booming laugh from the groundskeeper."Duo isn't a firs' year. He's just new, so we' a wee bi' late gettin' 'im to Diagon Alley." He then started to steer the boy in the appropriate direction. "Thi' way."

Duo trailed off behind him, glancing back at the man and waving good bye. The man nodded cheerfully, and the pilot's last sight of him was as he began wiping down tables.

They ended up outside the back of the bar- pub, he corrected himself; when in Rome... Anyway, it didn't really matter, since all they were doing at the moment was staring at an ordinary, if dingy brick wall. "Um, Hagrid? What are we doing?" he asked curiously, looking up at him.

Hagrid smiled, beetle-black eyes twinkling. "This, 'ere, is the entrance teh the Alley. Now, I'll let yeh in this first time, but once yeh get a wand o' yer own, yeh'll have to open it yerself." He waited until the teenager had nodded, then turned towards the wall. "Now, the combination's three up, an' two across," he said, lifting up his umbrella and tapping certain bricks around a depression in the wall.

Duo watched in amazement as the bricks trembled, then began to slide away. He leaned closer, following the blocks as they interwove, eventually vanishing totally into the walls of an until-then concealed doorway. He laughed brightly, and glanced up at Hagrid. "That is so cool!"

The professor chuckled, then gestured for the boy to turn around. Duo did, and then stared in amazement as he beheld Diagon Alley for the first time.

-o-o-o-o-o-o-

Once he'd gotten over his initial amazement, Duo had darted into the alley, eyes going everywhere in an evaluation only people from his lifestyle had about them, a grin on his face. Sirius had barely managed to catch up before the entrance to the Alley had closed. Their first stop, apparently, seemed to be a place called Ollivander's.

So this was where he was going to get his wand... Duo couldn't help but scoff at the shop's sign as he followed Hagrid into the place. I mean, really, how could something have existed as a viable business since 382 B.C.?

The rather musty shop seemed empty at first glance, but the pilot in him for some reason couldn't trust appearances. Frowning, the teenager stepped further into the store. "Hello?" he called out, a hand unconsciously reaching for one of his knives.

His caution was born out when he heard the slightest of sounds off to the side, and he spun around to see a pale, stick-like man standing amongst some shelves. "Good evening," the stranger said in a breathy voice as thin as he was. "May I help you?"

There was a moment that Duo nearly tossed the blade at the man in startlement, but he quickly tucked it away, only Sirius seeing the defensive display before Hagrid started talking.

"The lad 'ere 'as come over from America an' he doesn' 'ave a proper wand. Yeh think we kin fix tha?" The question was followed with a smile.

The man smiled back at the half giant and turned to the long haired teen, studying him for a moment before summoning up his measuring tools. "My name is Ollivander, welcome to my shop."

Duo nodded warily. "Nice ta meet ya..." Hell, there was no reason not to be polite, just because the guy had come closer to actually surprising him than anyone had in years...

Ollivander smiled. "Well, let's get started, then." He walked over to a wooden counter and beckoned him over. "Now, which is your wand arm?"

At a nudge from Sirius' cold, wet nose, the Gundam pilot reluctantly joined him at the counter. "Wand arm? Um..." Damn. He could use both hands, but his left was his gun hand... "My right," he finally answered.

Just because they told him having a wand was a good thing didn't mean he wanted his gun hand busy with a freakin' piece of wood instead of a decent weapon.

Nodding a little, the old man set about measuring the boy, the instruments floating in the air around him. "I don't believe I know your name..."

The teen blinked, as did the two with him, who hadn't ever heard Ollivander admit to ignorance before. The man hadn't been warned about this boy though. "Oh, I'm Duo Maxwell."

"Very good! Well Mr. Maxwell, I think I know just the thing..." He then went to get the first wand as he snapped, his tools ceasing.

Before Duo had time to even blink, a slender piece of wood was being shoved into his hands. "Here you are, young sir. Fourteen inches, maple, with the tail hair of a unicorn." The teenager stood there for a moment, confused, and Ollivander snorted impatiently. "Well? Are you going to give it a wave or not?"

Blushing, the pilot did as he was told and waved the wand through the air, feeling just a little foolish as he did so. Immediately there was a sharp 'crack!', and a deep hole appeared in the wall.

"Wow..." Duo mumbled, staring wide-eyed. Then Ollivander had snatched the wand out of his hand.

"Not that one, I think..." he said, casting a slightly disturbed glance at the wall. Never in all his years of making wands had that particular reaction happened. Cracks in the window, broken pottery, yes, but...

Never a wand that automatically used the Reductor Curse when randomly waved.

Silently, he resolved to keep young Mister Maxwell away from anything pertaining to unicorns.

The next wand thrust in Duo's direction. "Ten inch, holly with the heartstring of a ridgeback." This time Duo immediately flicked it, and all the glass in the room shattered. As soon as he was done ducking, Ollivander snatched it away as well. "Not that one either! You're going to be a challenge, aren't you?"

The teenager smirked. "I try."

Sirius snickered, ignoring the odd look he got from the half-giant next to him at the odd action. He had no doubts whatsoever that Snape, for one, would agree completely with that statement.

The wand maker's lips twitched. "Indeed..." He turned back to the shelves. "One last try with the standard cores, I think, but I rather doubt you'll settle for anything less than the extraordinary, Mr. Maxwell." As he spoke, he handed the American another wand, this one of a pale wood. "Birch, eleven inches, containing the feather of a rather young phoenix."

Duo waved the wand, cautiously this time, since he wasn't sure if he (or rather, Dumbledore) would have to pay for the damages. His caution wasn't very effective, however, as one of the discarded wands on the counters turned into a gun. The Gundam pilot leaned forward and picked it up, carefully keeping it pointed away from everyone. "Beretta, looks like the Cougar series. A little old-fashioned, but nice."

Both Hagrid and Sirius were staring at Duo with this shocked look on their faces, and when Duo saw the half-giant's look, he set the gun down, offering the wand that had created it back to Ollivander, who seemed puzzled. "I'd have to say I don't think that this is the right one either."

Snapping out of his speculation, Ollivander turned to head for the back in search of a less common wand type, muttering to himself about extreme reactions.

The bearded teacher turned a little, eyeing Duo. "An just how did yer know wha tha' was?"

Duo blinked at them innocently, drawing on his long experience of avoiding the truth without actually lying to come up with an explanation. "What, you didn't know? Don't you wizards ever watch movies?"

Hagrid looked confused. "'Movies?'"

The teenager winced. "Guess not..." He glanced towards the back, where oddly enough Ollivander had not yet reappeared, and turned fully towards the professor. "A movie is kinda like... well, it's basically a book, but instead of words telling the story, it has moving pictures, like those paintings back at Hogwarts. An' a lot of movies are about action, and explosions, and lots and lots of guns..."

The enormous professor nodded knowingly, though he obviously didn't entirely understand, but Duo had to hold in a wince as the animagus at his side leveled an uncompromising stare at him. Okay, Sirius was clearly better at reading him than he'd thought...

Thankfully, at that point their little tête-à-tête was interrupted as the old wand maker finally emerged from the back of the shop with an armload of wands. "Here we are," he said cheerfully, dumping them on the countertop. "Here, ten inches, walnut, with an Abraxan feather."

Duo waved it, by now resigned to doing as much damage as he could, and was pleasantly surprised when instead of actually destroying something, it merely turned Ollivander's silver hair blue.

"Ah. Yes, well..." Ollivander reached out and took it from him. "Not that one either, but I do think a feather of something..." He suddenly paused and peered closely at Duo.

No, not at him directly, the teenager quickly realized, but at his collar. "Perhaps..."

One small hand raised to the priest's collar he again wore, and sighed, watching the man run off in near excitement for the next wand. Apparently the man had something in mind. The next three wands weren't quite as destructive, but they clearly weren't all that correct either.

With a huge mess scattered all over the floor, the older man finally stared into Duo's eyes, then, shaking his head slightly, went to get his last choice. He'd been so sure... The best reaction had been the Yew wood, and the only other one he had...

It was clearly the correct wand, as a warm breeze filtered through. "Very... Interesting."

To be continued.