Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ On the Run ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

On the Run - part 7

by KatiKat



When the painfilled cry echoed from the kitchen, all the men in the inn´s main room fell silent and turned their heads toward the swinging door behind the bar. A couple of seconds later, the door banged open as Warrick was thrown through it. He stumbled, fell and slid over the floor. Before the door could close again, Shinigami shot out and towards the inn´s owner who was lying on the ground. The dog stood over him, a deep rumble escaping his tightly clenched jaws, bare teeth only millimeters away from Warrick´s throat.

"Help me!" yelled the scared man. "Get this beast off me!"

The men who jumped to their feet as Warrick was thrown into the main room looked at him oddly, then turned around as the door leading to the kitchen swung inwards again and the figure of Heero appeared in the doorway. The young man´s face was contorted with fury. Before the Enforcer could make more than one step into the room, Tosten, who was standing at the bar, gripped an empty frying pan. With a yell, he threw himself toward the other man. Heero reacted in the blink of an eye. He ducked under the pan, let the force of the swing carry Tosten past him, then turned around and kicked the lifebearer in the back. With a scream, Tosten flew through the door into the kitchen where he hit something with a loud crash.

Not bothering to check on Tosten, Heero headed towards the whimpering Warrick, a dark look on his face.

"Somebody help me! He is mad! He´ll kill me!" Warrick yelled again, but every time he tried to scramble away, Shinigami´s growl grew louder. The inn´s owner swallowed, seeing the sharp teeth and blazing eyes of the beast.

One of the soldiers obviously decided to play the hero, for he made a step towards the two men and the beast, but Heero gifted him with a furious glare that froze the poor man in place and made him swallow nervously.

The Enforcer pushed Shinigami to the side, took Warrick by the front of his shirt and pulled him to his feet, revealing the incredible strength hidden in his young body. When the scared man´s feet left the ground, with a scared whimper, he dangled from Heero´s hands. Rufus, the captain of the Count´s personal guard, stepped forward.

"Sir?" Questioningly, he turned to Treize, the only man who remained calmly sitting when Warrick made his entrance. Rufus didn´t know what was going on and with no information, he was asking for orders on how to proceed.

Slowly, Treize stood up and his men stepped to the side as he walked towards Warrick and the Enforcer. Stopping only a couple of feet away from them, Rufus at his left side, he crossed his arms over his chest.

"What´s going on here?" he asked unfazed, as if such scenes were a part of his everyday life.

Heero shot him a look. He had a decision to make. He needed to protect Duo and keep their secret. But if keeping his mouth shut would endanger other people... That was unacceptable. And so, in a matter of a second he decided. Shaking the man in his grip, he spat out. "This man sold your mate!"

Treize froze, his body taut. He looked from the Enforcer to Warrick and back. "What does that mean?" His voice was ice cold and threatening. Nobody would endanger Mil and their son.

Heero shook Warrick one last time, then threw him aside with such force that the man flew through the air and hit the wall close to the kitchen door with a sickening thud. "He sent his son to Howard, the leader of a local mercenary group, with a message that there is rich prey waiting for him here. He probably wanted to kidnap your mate and try to blackmail you for money!"

The Count forced himself to remain calm. His men didn´t have such restraint, though. As one they stepped forward, hissing in anger. They loved their lord and were completely loyal to him. And Milliardo had been one of them once and they still considered him one of their own. If someone was posing a danger to their lord and his mate, they would take care of him.

Treize stepped to Heero´s side and looked down at the inn´s owner, who was watching them with an expression of horror on his face. "Is that the truth? Did you plan to harm my mate?"

Warrick swallowed. "No... no, that´s not true. I don´t know any Howard!" he whimpered.

Heero made a gesture with his hand. "Shinigami!"

The dog, who until now stood by his master´s side, moved towards the lying man, sharp teeth snapping together.

Warrick curled in on himself. "Call him off! I don´t know anything!" he yelled.

Heero didn´t do anything though, and the dog moved closer and closer, the low rumbling escaping his throat echoing through the silent room. The Enforcer watched with cold eyes as the black beast moved closer to his prey.

"It didn´t have anything to do with the Count!" Warrick shouted finally, as his panic and fear of the large wolf like creature overcame his reason.

Heero snapped his fingers, calling Shinigami off. The dog stopped moving, but didn´t back away.

"What do you mean?" Treize asked.

With a shaking finger, Warrick pointed at Heero. "It was all about them. The longhaired Bearer..."

Heero interrupted him before he could spill more of their secret. "What about the Count and his mate?" The Enforcer could feel the weight of Treize´s gaze on him, but decided not to react.

"It was all about money, nothing more. I swear," the man on the floor whimpered, his look fixed on the still growling creature in front of him. "I didn´t want to hurt him."

Treize´s eyes narrowed. He knew there was more behind it. It wasn´t only about him and Mil. They were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not that it excused what Warrick did. He would make sure that the inn´s owner paid for his crime. But there was...

Heero continued with his interrogation. "I heard you saying that Howard was in Dartmoore right now. It´s only a couple of miles from here. When did you send your son to him?"

A gleam of defiance returned to Warrick´s eyes. "It doesn´t matter. Your beast killed him, I´m sure of it. You´re a murderer!" His explosion was short lived though, since in reaction to his outburst, Shinigami moved closer again, head hanging low to the ground.

The Enforcer didn´t say anything. Not even his closed off expression changed after the accusation had been thrown into his face. Although he wore a mask of ice cold indifference, his mind was racing. Did Shinigami really stop the messenger? That would explain his bloody fur. But he couldn´t bet their lives on it. And if the messenger did get through... Warrick must have sent him before leaving with the rescue troupe. That meant that even if Howard waited for the blizzard to end, he would be on his way to Dartville right now... Heero felt his heart freeze. They needed to get out of there immediately.

"Shinigami, stay!" Heero ordered the dog, who obediently lay down, his watchful eyes fixed on the trembling coward in front of him. Feeling the Count still watching him intensely, the young man turned to head for the stairs but stopped short, seeing Trowa standing at the foot of the stairs and Duo on the uppermost step.

"What´s going on?" Trowa asked quietly. The healer heard the fight and came down to check out what was going on.

With a grim expression, Heero walked past Trowa, motioning for him to follow. At the top of the stairs he took Duo, who was white as a sheet by his elbow, and together they disappeared in the corridor.

Treize stood there in the middle of the main room and his men. With narrowed eyes, he watched the three mysterious young men whom he met only hours ago climb the stairs. He had many questions and only a few answers. He hated to be left in the dark, especially if his ignorance could endanger the ones he loved. He respected other people´s secrets, but this time he and especially Mil and their baby were involved, too. And since the three young men refused to cooperate, he would have to find information elsewhere.

With that thought, Treize turned to the quivering man on the ground. Flanked by his men, his hand gripped the hilt of his sword tightly and with his voice dripping with hatred, he said, "Tell me everything, Warrick, or I swear you´ll curse the day you were born."

*-*-*-*-*

"What´s going on?" Trowa asked again as they stepped into the long dark corridor leading to their room.

"Warrick knows Howard," Heero answered quietly. He cursed inwardly as he felt Duo freeze. "He sent his son to him. I think he recognized Duo. Howard must have been here before us, or maybe he sent one of his men to all his contacts along the shore and in the mountains."

Trowa nodded. "I wondered how he could afford to run an inn in this hole. Did you notice that there are no guests besides us and the Count? He must work as a middleman between Howard and the traders from the South. I bet he gets his fair share from the goods Howard is stealing from the caravans and the villages."

Duo listened to the other men talk quietly. Instinctively he wanted to protest and say that Howard was no thief... but then his mind froze. Why wouldn´t he be a thief? He was a murderer after all. The longhaired young man couldn´t believe that for a couple of hours he allowed himself to forget their situation. They were on the run from a man he considered an uncle just a couple of weeks ago. He remembered sitting on Howard´s knee as a boy and listening to the older man tell him stories about great battles. The mercenary leader always brought him small gifts, hugged him and praised him for his achievements... A feeling of nausea overcame Duo as he realized what a malicious intent was hidden behind the kind mask of the man who could almost be his grandfather. Unknowingly, Duo huddled in on himself and dropped his head.

"You okay?" Heero asked, squeezing his mate´s arm gently. When the lifebearer nodded without raising his head, the Enforcer sighed. "Go get dressed quickly. We have to leave immediately," he said, and gently pushed Duo to the door of their room.

The longhaired young man nodded once again and complied without protesting.

Before Heero could follow him, Trowa laid a hand on the Enforcer´s shoulder, stopping him. Heero turned to him, a question in his eyes.

"Heero... I´m not sure Duo is well enough for a long walk. He stopped bleeding only hours ago and a laborious walk in the snow is the last thing he needs. He should be resting and not running around," the healer said quietly, not wanting the lifebearer to know what they were talking about.

The Enforcer sighed and rubbed his face with his hands, then he propped them on his hips. "I don´t think we have a choice, Trowa," he answered, his eyes fixed on the figure of his mate sitting quietly on the bed in their room. "We could try to buy a horse in the village but it would only slow us down in the woods. We´ll need to move forward fast. And if we stay on the road, Howard will catch us before nightfall. He could be here any minute."

The two friends looked each other helplessly. It was either stay and fight, or run and risk Duo´s life. And since fighting was not an option...

"We should get dressed," Heero said quietly, then moved into the room

Trowa was left standing in the corridor, looking at his friend as he crouched in front of his shellshocked mate. He listened to Heero talking silently to the almost unresponsive lifebearer, watched him take Duo´s hands in his and rub the white knuckles with his thumbs.

There had to be a way out... another option. Because the options they were facing right now - to stay or to run - would both end in disaster.

*-*-*-*-*-*

When Trowa stepped into the room, Mil, who was holding his child in his arms, raised his head and looked at him. "What´s wrong?" he asked, seeing the grim expression on the healer´s face. His gaze travelled over Trowa´s warm coat and the backpack slung over his shoulder.

"We need to be going now," the healer answered quietly. "I only wanted to check on you and your son for the last time."

Mil frowned. "Going? Where? The sun is already setting. You want the spend the night outside?"

Trowa dropped the backpack on the ground and walked to the bed. With a gentle smile, he looked down at the slumbering child tucked warmly in his Bearer´s arms. He raised his hand and touched the thick bush of brown hair on the top of the boy´s head.

"Trowa?" Mil pushed again, catching the healer´s wrist in a surprisingly tight grip. "What´s wrong? Does it have something to do with your friend not wanting to tell me the name of his mate?"

The healer pulled away from the blond man and sighed. "It´s rather... complicated. I´m sure Treize will tell you more."

"But we would rather hear the details from you," came the voice from the door.

Both Trowa and Mil turned to the doorway where Treize stood, legs lightly spread, arms crossed over his chest, frown on his face.

Trowa looked away. In the span of only one day, he befriended the Count and his mate. But friends or not, Duo´s secret was his to keep and his to tell.

Slowly, Treize stepped into the room. "Warrick had some interesting information to share. But that´s only one side of the coin. I don´t trust him and that´s why I would like to learn the truth from a man I did entrust the life of my mate to."

Trowa looked at him, but before he could even open his mouth to say something. Heero and Duo appeared in the doorway, ready to leave. The Enforcer´s face was set in stone, while the lifebearer looked paler than snow.

"Trowa, we have to go now," Heero said, his voice serious. When Trowa didn´t move, but only shifted his gaze from his two friends to Treize and back to Heero and Duo, the Enforcer continued. "If you decide to stay, I will respect that. But we can´t lose any more time."

Treize turned to him, uncrossing his arms and letting one hand rest on the hilt of his sword. "Yes, you have no time left. My men found out that Tosten´s gone. He was in such a hurry that he even left his bleeding son behind," there was a note of disgust in the aristocrat´s voice. "One of the horses disappeared from the stall, too. I would say he is headed for Dartmoore. So even if your dog killed the first messenger, Tosten will get to Howard and tell him everything."

Heero froze and laid one arm around his mate´s shoulders in a protective gesture. His eyes grew ice cold as he looked at Treize. "So... what do you plan to do? Prevent us from leaving and give Duo over to Howard? Do you hope that this way you´ll save yourself and your mate?" There was a venomous tone of challenge in his voice.

Treize´s eyes filled with fury, and his whole body tensed even more. He gripped the hilt of his sword even more tightly, his knuckles going white. It was obvious that he had to use all of his will power to prevent his anger from exploding. "Only your love for your mate gives you the excuse to say something like that," he forced out through tightly clenched teeth. "I do realize that you know nothing of me, just as I know nothing of you. But I´m offering you my help anyway."

Instinctively knowing that Heero was about to refuse any help, but realizing that they did need help at the same time, Trowa jumped in. "What did you have in mind?" His voice was quiet but firm. His green gaze met Heero´s blue one in a battle of wills. The healer refused to back down.

Treize's posture relaxed a bit as he looked at Trowa. "Warrick told me what´s going on here," he said, feeling Heero´s eyes burning holes in him. "This Howard guy wants Duo for a mate, but since he was claimed already, you decided to run. Is that the truth?"

Trowa nodded. "Yes."

"It´s not that simple." At the whispered words, everybody turned to Duo. The longhaired lifebearer was hunched in on himself as if in physical pain. He didn´t meet anybody´s eyes when he continued. "Howard... he and his men burned down the whole village in revenge for me taking a mate before he could claim me. He is... a violent man. A murderer." Finally he raised his gaze and looked at Treize. His violet gaze was full of pain. "Nothing will stop him from getting what he wants."

Treize nodded slowly, as if something he already knew was confirmed. "That´s what I thought. It would be better if all of us got the hell out of here. My sleigh is ready. The damage hadn´t been significant. That´s why the smith was able to repair it. My men are already preparing the horses, so we can leave as soon as we pack our things."

"What are you saying?" Trowa asked.

"I want you to ride with us," Treize said, looking from Trowa to Heero and Duo. "Your mate," he addressed the Enforcer, "is obviously not well. He can ride in the sleigh with Milliardo. We have some spare horses since three of my men died in the avalanche. You and Trowa will ride with me and my men. That way we can get out of here before this Howard and his men arrive."

Trowa nodded slowly. "But won´t he catch us on the road?"

This time it was Mil who answered with a smile. "We only have to reach the port of Dartvalley. The waters in the bay never freeze, that´s why the king sent one of his ships for us there."

Treize nodded. "Yes, it´s only ten or so miles from here. My men will protect us on the road, and the king´s men are awaiting us in the port. Should something happen, we will send a messenger to Dartvalley for help."

Silence fell over the room so that the shouts of men and neighing of horses under the windows could be heard. Everybody turned to Heero. Now it was up to him. He needed to decide if he would entrust to them the life of his mate.

It was Duo who broke the heavy silence. "We should go with them," he whispered. "It doesn´t matter to us where we are headed, and it´s our fault that they got pulled into the whole thing. Besides, we... I wouldn´t make it out there in the woods," he added, letting his friends know that he heard their conversation in the corridor.

The Enforcer looked into the braided lifebearer´s pale face. The violet eyes were serious, filled with trust in his mate. Heero knew that no matter what decision he made in the end, Duo would follow him without complaining. Even if it meant wading through the snow in the dark woods, risking his health. And so for the first time ever, he decided to lay their fate in someone else´s hands.

He looked the Count firmly in the eyes and nodded. "We will go with you."


TBC