Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ OZ Soldier ❯ One-Shot

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing.

For days I have dreamed of going into outer space. It was my ambition in life. I smiled. Today my dream was about to come true. I have finally completed the training from Lieutenant Noin's session. I couldn't wait, but I had to remain calm and poised, as a soldier should be.

I had excelled through all the classes and was the highest-ranking soldier in training they had. I wasn't going to let anyone surpass me. I had to be the best there ever was. Silently, Noin walked before us, carefully examining us.

It wasn't long before I found myself in space. I couldn't help but gaze at the beauty of outer space. Millions of stars surrounded us. I could easily spot out the many constellations that these tiny stars formed.

"I never doubted you for a minute, Benton. You're going to make a fine soldier," a voice commented.

Quickly I turned to see Miss Noin. Instantly I gave a salute. "I won't let you down."

Lieutenant Noin smiled. "I don't doubt you will. Unlike the others I can see it inside you. You have the true ambition needed to be a soldier, but at the same time you have morals, which will allow you to make the right decisions. I don't ever want to see you fail. You here that, soldier?"

"Yes, ma'am!"

Lieutenant Noin then gave a quick salute and walked off. My heart pounded. It was rare to receive such a compliment. I knew that I would have to be careful to not let it get to my head.

It wasn't long before we reached our destination, a space colony from the L21 cluster. It was one of the few colonies that accepted Oz. From the reports a Gundam had attacked the colony. We were there to protect them from another attack.

I have always wanted to fight the legendary Gundams. There was a saying that those that laid eyes on a Gundam never lived to tell about it. I was going to change that saying.

"Hey, Benton!" one of the soldiers called out.

I turned to see who was calling my name. He was one of the soldiers that I had trained with and I only knew him by face. I think his name was Trevor.

"Man, I never thought I would see the day that I would be up in outer space," Trevor commented as he came to sit on the bunk I had chosen.

"Yeah, it's been my dream to come up here," I stated, a little wary of this soldier. If I was correct this guy was nothing but trouble.

"I think it's everyone dream, Benton. Now we're finally here, as soldiers fighting for Oz," Trevor continued. "So what do you think of Lieutenant Noin?"

I shrugged. "She's a good officer, knows what she is doing."

"Right. I hear you. I know you approve of her. I heard her complimenting you. I wouldn't follow her though. She's a weak soldier. She doesn't know what she is doing. Follow me instead and you'll get somewhere. Once this mission is over I'm splitting along with those who plan to follow. Her ways are childish," Trevor stated.

"You're just barely a soldier, Trevor. She had much more experience then you have. Fighting alone is crazy."

"Don't say I didn't warn you. We could have used an intelligent soldier like you," Trevor replied and left the room. "But if you choose to follow us, just let me know. I might reconsider."

"Don't bet on it," I replied. Already I could tell we were in for some dark times. I didn't like this guy one bit. I sighed and lay down on my bunk trying to get some sleep.

Alarms quickly woke me from my dreams. I sat up trying to figure out where I was. It only took me an instant to remember that I was at the Starlight base. I quickly dressed and joined the soldiers that were running about.

Already Noin was barking out orders. "I want five Aries out there now! Benton, you are to lead that group!" she said grabbing my arm.

"Yes, ma'am!" I replied and hurried off. In seconds I had boarded the Aries. Placing my goggles on, I did a quick survey of my enemy. I gasped. "It's a Gundam!" I shouted.

"Well, Benton, we are waiting your orders," another familiar voice stated. I frowned the voice was Trevor and he didn't sound too happy.

"Right. We're going to use the scatter formation," Benton ordered, "We must keep moving, with no patterns."

"Order acknowledged," Trevor replied with reluctance.

"I hope this works," I softly said. I then focused my attention to the Gundam before me. A further scan stated that is was Gundam number five... Already the Gundam had most of the base in flames from what was called the dragon fang. Down at the base the ground troop was firing away, not yet to announce defeat.

I locked the Gundam on my target and fired the beam cannon. It struck with a powerful blow, but it didn't leave even a mark. I gasped. I knew these Gundams were powerful, but I didn't realize they were this powerful. The only thing I managed to achieve was bringing the Gundam's attention to me. It was what I originally wanted.

Swiftly the Gundam five brought out its trident of thermal energy. I didn't like this one bit. "You, weakling, you dare challenge me?" the pilot called out.

"I would be careful of whom you call a weakling," I replied.

"So the woman's sending out rookies to attack for her?"

I frowned. I didn't like this pilot's attitude. "I'll show you a rookie!"

Angrily I fired off two rockets, but to my dismay the Gundam easily blocked off one with his trident. I was buying the others time at least. I watched as they circled the Gundam, being careful to keep scattering. The Gundam zero five ignored them, focusing his attention on me. I could tell he already marked me as an enemy.

"What a weak attempt, pilot. I'll teach you lesson to deal with things that don't pertain to you," the Gundam pilot taunted.

I fired the beam cannon again, which was also blocked. I pounded my fists on the controls. This was frustrating. These Gundams were almost immortal it seemed, but I wasn't about to give up. Lieutenant Noin was counting on me. Plus I wanted to prove to everyone that a Gundam could be defeated.

"Benton," Trevor stated, "We're getting some more recruits."

"Great, have them begin a box formation. We'll have this Gundam down in no time," I replied full of confidence.

A scream ripped through the air. I winced, knowing that was the last of the soldier, but it just wasn't any soldier, it was Trevor. His dream and ideals had quickly gone into flames. I then realized how lives could easily be thrown away in a game of war. It wasn't like a game of chess where you could easily set up the board again, once the battle was won or lost. At the same time I knew that. We all knew it, but we always thought we were immortal in some way.

One by one the Gundam zero five's trident sliced through the Aries. The pilot treated this like he was slicing through a cake. The pilot showed no mercy. It was fruitless sending in more recruits. I already knew that. This battle was lost. My first battle. I wouldn't be bringing back any stories of victory.

"Benton, retreat now!" Noin's voice ordered over the intercom.

"But, Lieutenant Noin, this is my battle. I want to battle to the end," I replied.

There was a pause before Noin replied. "Benton, I know that, but I'm not going to waste a good soldier. Retreat and you can battle again. The base is in ruins. Any survivors are retreating."

"I am sorry, Miss Noin, but this has become my battle."

Lieutenant Noin sighed. "Then you know were to report."

"Yes, and thank you for understanding."

"I better see you there, Benton." The intercom then clicked off.

"Alright, Gundam pilot, this is between you and me," I shouted over the open intercom.

"You're still fighting, weakling? Why aren't you retreating with that woman?" the Gundam pilot stated. The Gundam was now focused on me. The only things that surrounded us were flames from the ruined base.

"Well this is what you wanted, right? You want to see what I'm made of?" I stated.

Swiftly the Gundam jumped and suddenly had the trident pinned down on the Aries. "I don't fight weaklings, they aren't worth my time. Come back when you're a stronger soldier. Then I may take your challenge. If you weren't a weakling you would have seen this coming and would have blocked this," the Gundam pilot stated.

The Gundam then turned around and flew off into the dark sky. "I can't believe this," I angrily stated as I pounded the controls again. "This was my chance. I could have won!"

If Trevor saw this he would have laughed. I thought. The thought made me angrier. I couldn't believe I lost the battle.

I sighed. At least I lived to see another day. I couldn't understand why the Gundam pilot didn't kill me. What about that saying, those that lay eyes on a Gundam shall not live to tell about it? The Gundam pilot let me go. Maybe there was more to this, then there was meant to be.

Reluctantly I headed toward our next point. I lowered my head as I entered the base. My eyes were filled with defeat as I surveyed the small group of soldiers that had managed to retreat. Only a few had managed to survive, out of the large group I had trained with. They all seemed to be in the same mood I felt.

"I'm glad to see that you made it back, soldier," Lieutenant Noin greeted with a warm smile. Then she focused her attention to all of us. "I know our first battle was lost. All of us have felt the defeat, heavily in our hearts. The war isn't over. There will be many battles that will be won and lost. We will loose many soldiers in the process, but our fighting will create something beautiful in the end. From this lost battle we did gain a lot of information from our mistakes. From these mistakes we'll learn what not to do."

I smiled. I was right about Lieutenant Noin. She wasn't like any high-ranking soldier. She was different. She saw us as humans, not machines. That made a lot of difference, in which I was willing to keep fighting. Someday I'll be strong enough to challenge that Gundam pilot. We'll meet again. This time I will win.