Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Pain of Life ❯ Chapter 15

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don't own anything.

Pairings: Let's see...3x5, and uh, something else.

Rating: I'm going to say somewhere between PG-13 and R.

Author's Note: Wait until the end, okay? Just read on.

------------------------------

It had been an entire month now. Duo was still enrolled in rehab, where things seemed to have been going fairly well. Although he still suffered from withdrawal symptoms, it was safe to say that Duo no longer had an addiction. However, that still didn't give him the "okay" to see Wufei. There had to be unknown reasons as to why Duo hated his brother with a passion and Noin was intent on finding them. That was the explanation for Duo being assigned a psychiatrist. Of course, the first one was going nowhere with Duo. The reason behind it that Duo insisted on not cooperating with the man. So had Noin brought in the help of an old friend.

To her luck, they were making progress. Which was odd. Duo didn't like the woman, and Noin was pretty sure that it went both ways. She couldn't explain it, and she didn't want to try and figure it out. However, although they made some sort of progress, Duo would only talk of his hatred of Wufei. There was no reason why. He would sidestep the topic of his parents or his father's abuse of him, as well his mother. Of course he was willing to openly discuss the topic of Wufei's abuse. As for his stepmother, she didn't exist. So as it was plain to see, although Duo was making some sort of progress, they weren't getting anywhere soon.

Duo now sat in his room, his eyes staring at the woman he knew as his shrink, while the woman stared back at him with her clipboard in hand. They had been sitting here in silence for a while now. As his eyes looked up at the clock on the wall behind her, he found it had been exactly forty-five minutes. There were only fifteen minutes left with the woman and Duo wouldn't have minded if she had left early. He had already discussed all that he would willingly talk about with her and he had nothing else to say. So these visits were pointless and annoying. The only questions that she had asked today were, "How are you today?" and "Did you sleep well?". He answered with a "Why the hell are you back?" and "What the fuck do you want to know for?". If he had truly answered her question, he would have told her that he had slept better than he had in years. His mind wasn't filled with nightmares or visions of his mother hanging from a ceiling fan for once; they were actually calm.

He only remembered seeing hills, rolling green hills, which made him think of Ireland when he woke that morning. Now that he thought about it, maybe that's exactly what he was dreaming of. Maybe he was just going down memory lane once again. Only this time he didn't have drugs to help him get rid of it. So he had to bear it, which he was pretty sure he could do. They weren't as bad as the rest.

"Is something on your mind?", a question rang out, pulling Duo from his thoughts.

His eyes traveled over to the woman in front of him. Since he was lost with thinking about last night's dream, he had nearly forgotten that she was there. Now he wished that she wasn't, we was getting tired.

"I believe I just asked you a question, Duo.", the woman told him looking up from her clipboard.

"Well maybe I just don't feel like answering, Une."

Une smirked at him before looking down at her watch. It was time for her to go and she was somewhat disappointed. It seemed as if Duo had been concentrating on something that she would have liked to discuss. However, there was tomorrow, and she was sure that Duo was ready to call it quits.

"Fine, don't tell me.", she told him, standing from her seat, "I'll just have to force it out of you tomorrow."

"Oh boy, you're coming again?", Duo asked in sarcasm.

Ignoring him, Une started to pack her things away in silence and when she was done, Duo watched her as she walked towards the door.

"Same time tomorrow.", she announced.

"Don't remind me."

"Goodbye, Duo.", she said in parting.

"Yeah, and good riddance."

Watching as Une gave him once last glance as she left, he raised out of his chair before trudging over to his bed. He threw himself onto it, one arm going behind his head as the other rested against his stomach. He felt that he was tired; he had been for days now. He just hoped he could get some sleep without anyone disturbing him. As luck would have it, his wish for seclusion wasn't granted. A knock on his door drew a growl of frustration from him yet he didn't try to move.

"Fuck off.", was his only answer.

That was ignored as a nurse pushed the door open and made her way inside. Duo glared at her as he sat up, and it made her inch away from him.

"Mr. Maxwell, you have a visitor.", she told him, not sure if he'd throw one of his fits.

"Well, tell them that I don't want to see anyone.", Duo retorted, laying back down.

"He told me that you would want to see him.", she continued, and Duo sat back up to look at her.

"Who is it?", he asked her, already knowing the answer to his question.

"He said his name was Heero Yuy."

------------------------------

Wufei read over the same sentence for what probably was the hundredth time. He was trying to study for a test, but he found that very hard to do when Trowa was present. They were in the apartment alone. Quatre went to pick up his daughter and Zechs had called him to announce that he was at the library. A library that sounded very much like the mall. Wufei didn't mind or rather didn't really care. He and Trowa were only there to study. Of course it would be easier if Trowa kept to studying the material in their books, instead of trying to find a way to drag Wufei away from it. He didn't exactly mind as Trowa's hands traveled his body over his clothes, although it was kind of distracting. He did however know just how serious Trowa was when his hands slipped under his shirt.

"Trowa, I'm trying to study.", Wufei reminded him for the third time, stopping his hands from wandering any farther, "I have a test on Monday and if I don't pass it, it'll screw up everything."

"Wufei, trust me when I say this, you don't have to study."

"Yes, I do.", the smaller boy insisted.

"No, you don't.", Trowa countered with a roll of his eyes, "You know the entire chapter by heart and you know yourself that you're going to pass the damn thing without even trying."

Wufei was going to respond but he couldn't think of anything to say. Trowa was right. He did know that damn chapter by heart and the test wasn't exactly the SATs. However, no matter what Trowa said, they still had to study. That's what they came here to do and that's exactly what they were going to do. Nothing was going to make him do other wise.

As Wufei returned to his book he found himself stifling a moan. Of course when Trowa did things like that it was easy to forget about schoolwork; and forget he did. The science book fell to the floor, and Wufei allowed himself to be pushed back against the couch. His mouth was now caught with the task of kissing Trowa's, and he pulled away to catch his breath and moan as Trowa's hand toyed with a nipple. He felt Trowa start to bite at his neck and he made sure to guide his mouth back to his.

He didn't need anyone to see what he and Trowa were up to. Or in other words, if hickies were present, Quatre would know and so would Zechs. He would never live it down, and since Quatre was his guardian, he would most likely be grounded. Special friends like Trowa weren't allowed in the apartment without Quatre's watchful eye. Wufei's attention was taken back to his lover as the Latino's hands wandered toward the hem of his jeans. Of course, that's the farthest they were able to go.

"Well what do we have here?", a voice asked from the door.

Wufei quickly pulled away to look at the apartment door where he found Zechs standing there, arms crossed and a look that promised blackmail later. Trowa only groaned in disappointment and allowed Wufei to sit up. Zechs walked fully into the apartment as Wufei straightened his now disheveled clothes and stopped to look down at the ebony haired boy for an explanation.

"Trowa was helping me study for my test on the anatomy of the human body.", Wufei told him, and Zechs scoffed.

"Let me guess, you two wanted to have a hands on experience?", Zechs teased him.

"No, we got sidetracked.", the glare Wufei sent him was meant to intimidated.

"Right. You're lucky that I'm the one that walked in on you, instead of dad."

Trowa watched as Wufei granted Zechs a look that threatened pain if he even dared to tell of what he walked in on and he found maybe that it was time for him to head home.

"Fei, I have to go.", he told his lover standing from the couch.

Wufei stood with him and followed him to the door, not really wanting him to leave.

"Do you have to go?", he asked, looking up into jade eyes.

Trowa gave him a smile before planting a kiss on his lips. He nodded his answer, picking up his backpack from were it sat near the door.

"We'll continue things another time.", he told Wufei, opening the door, "And I'll see you tomorrow. Later, Zechs."

The two watched as Trowa left and Wufei turned to Zechs, who happened to be smirking triumphantly.

"Do you live to ruin every moment I have with Trowa?", Wufei asked, before walking off to the room that he temporarily shared with Zechs.

Zechs, noting that maybe he should go and apologize, followed him to the room and found the door closed in his face as he reached. Yup, he definitely had to apologize. He peeked in, after opening the door, to find Wufei lying on his bed, and he walked in to do the same.

"Okay, I'm sorry.", he apologized, looking over to the Chinese teen.

"And?"

"I won't tell.", Zechs added on, "Now are still angry with me?"

"Yes.", Wufei answered sitting up, "I mean, you did walk in on something Trowa and I barely have enough time for."

"Then just go to his apartment."

Wufei only sighed, before leaning against the headboard of the bed. There was a small moment of silence. Neither knew if to try and start a conversation, or if they should even move. Ebony eyes traveled to the blond boy that sat on the edge of his bed. He knew very little about Zechs. The most he knew was that although both he and Quatre shared the whole blond haired, blue eyed feature, they were not father and son. He was also pretty sure that Zechs knew nothing about him. He wondered why the blue-eyed boy never thought to ask. Though he was pretty sure if he was asked, he might not be able to answer.

Zechs on the other hand was kind of curious himself. He had a good idea that Wufei had similar reasons as to why he ended up here. He wasn't sure why, but his curiosity was getting the best of him at the moment. His eyes glanced over to Wufei, finding that the boy was staring at him, with the same air of curiosity. Maybe it was time they talked after all? Turning to face him, Zechs stared at the sloe-eyed teen for a moment, before finally mustering enough courage to finally ask what was on his mind.

"How did you end up here anyway?", he asked, his voice breaking the silence and catching Wufei off guard.

Wufei didn't know what to say. Zechs had just asked the question he was thinking about asking himself. Of course now that Zechs had asked, he would have to answer. This was going to be difficult, and just the thought of delving deep into memories caught his voice in his throat. Zechs caught the discomfort, and decided maybe he should try something else.

"Okay, how about we swap?", he offered, giving Wufei a smirk, "I'll tell you my story, and then you'll tell me yours. Deal?"

"Deal.", Wufei agreed returning the smile and turning so that now he and Zechs sat face to face.

"Well, how should I start?", Zechs mumbled to himself, "I lived with my dad most of my life, well practically my entire life."

"What happened to your mother?", Wufei asked, memories of his own flittering through his head.

"My parents were divorced when I was five. My mom left my dad and I behind. My father remarried when I was twelve. He got this new job and everything. Soon enough, he was never really home. My stepmom used to tell me everyday how lonely she was and how he missed him. I knew how she felt and I kind of felt pity for her. I used to spend nights in her room, just so she wouldn't be so lonely. Then things went bad."

Wufei watched as Zechs paused and his eyes showed that they were hitting a part of Zechs' life that he would much rather forget. After a few more seconds, Zechs came back from whatever trance he was in and he looked back up at Wufei.

"I'm sorry about that.", he apologized, "So where was I? My stepmom, she soon got a little lonelier than usual. She didn't want me to just fill the empty space in the bed anymore, she wanted to use me for other things. Activities that were best kept for her and my father."

Wufei would have said something but he found he couldn't and his eyes widened in disbelief. What kind of woman would do that to a child? Zechs had caught the look of shock on Wufei's face and he shrugged.

"Do you want me stop?", he asked, Wufei hesitantly shaking his head, "When I was thirteen I got tired of it, so I put a stop to it. I threatened to tell my father everything. The funny thing is it worked and she backed off. However, that wasn't the end of my troubles, that was merely the beginning."

"What do you mean?", Wufei asked, his eyes staring intensely at Zechs, "What could be worse then what you already went through?"

Zechs sighed, a hand running through his golden locks. He never thought he would ever have to go back to memories and he didn't know if he wanted to continue. However, he and Wufei had a deal. He'd have to tell his entire story if he ever dreamed of hearing Wufei's. Besides, the only way to get over everything was to talk about it.

"Okay, so for a year everything was great. Then I turned fourteen and high school started. That's when I started to recognize something about myself."

"Which was?", Wufei asked, hoping he didn't sound too curious.

"I'm bi.", was Zechs' simple answer, before he went into explaining, "I mean I had crushes on girls but I sort of had a thing for guys, too. I was infatuated with this one guy, but I didn't want to risk anything. My father was one homophobic bastard. The day he found out about me, I really don't want to remember."

"You don't have-"

"No.", Zechs cut him off, "I have to get off my chest, right? So, after a while I decided to risk it. That was the biggest mistake of my life. I mean, the same day I decided to bring someone home with me, was the same day my dad decided to come home early from a business trip. He literally walked in on me with my pants down. He was shocked, I mean if you were a parent and you walked in on your kid having oral sex, you'd be too. He was fucking pissed. He probably would have gone easier on me if I was with a girl, but I was with another guy. And believe it or not, I was the one performing."

He looked up at Wufei to find that the boy was still following the story, without any disapproving looks, which of course didn't come to a surprise. Wufei was gay. He didn't need a reason to disapprove or be disgusted.

"What did your father do?", Wufei cautiously asked.

"He literally freaked.", Zechs told him, "He kicked the guy out and then turned to me. Mouthed me off and then decided that he wasn't going to have a son who sucked cocks for a living; his words, not mine. So he decided to beat the gay out of me. He also decided that I needed a beating daily. To make matters worse, my stepmom decided to help out in her own way. I couldn't take any of it. I started taking drugs to help me escape, I started cutting school, and my life dropped from bad to worse. Then I met Quatre. He was like this knight in shining armor and he just took care of everything. He got me away from my folks. Of course, I would have went to live with my mother, but I didn't want to. I ended up here, and I've been here for three years now. I call Quatre my dad because he's more of a father to me then my old geezer ever was. It just feels like that's what I'm supposed to call him."

He looked up to Wufei, who only stared back at him in astonishment at the story he had just been told. He didn't mind, and now that he told his own story he was ready for any questions Wufei might have. However, from the looks of it, there wouldn't be any. They heard the apartment door open, followed by Quatre's voice calling out for them, which was followed by another voice Wufei didn't recognize.

"It sounds like dad's home with Nalini.", Zechs commented.

Right after he finished his sentence, the door burst open and Wufei only caught a blur a hair before it tackled Zechs to the bed.

"Milly!", it screeched happily.

"Oh no! It's Nalini, quick hide the women and children!"

Wufei watched in amusement as Zechs rolled around the bed with the girl as if he were the same age as she was. A few moments later, after being caught in a tickle attack, blue-green eyes looked up to Wufei. Sitting up and facing him, she gave him a smile, before crawling closer to him and basically placing herself in his lap.

"Hi!", she greeted, "What's your name?"

"I'm Wufei.", he answered, staring down at the little girl who made herself comfortable in his lap.

"Wufei?", she asked, making a face, "That's a weird name. Are you my new big brother? Can I call you Wuffie?"

Wufei went to answer but ended up glaring at Zechs who snickered. Quatre's voice made its way upstairs, threatening to take Nalini back home if she didn't move her things up to her room. With a disappointed groan, Nalini dragged herself away from her perch on Wufei before walking out of the room, giving the two teenaged boys a pathetic look before she did.

"Wuffie?", Zechs laughed, as Wufei continued to glare.

"You should talk, Milly.", Wufei countered, cutting Zechs' giggles short.

"Touché.", Zechs said standing, "I suggest we go downstairs. Dad has something for us to do I'm sure. You can tell me your story later."

Nodding in agreement, Wufei stood following Zechs downstairs.

------------------------------

Duo was led to the visiting room, and as soon as the door was opened, his eyes were scanning the room. It didn't take him long for his eyes to land on Heero, sitting at a table in the center of the room, a smirk etched on his face. With his anger flaring, Duo made his way over, his eyes never leaving Heero's. As he sat in a chair across from the Japanese man, he forced himself not to show him how angry he was. He knew that's probably what Heero wanted. Of course, it was a damn shock that he had showed after a month without contacting him. Leaning forward, Heero attempted to try and touch one of Duo's hand, but the braided man pulled away.

"No hello?", Heero asked.

"You have some fucking nerve showing up after a month of disappearing on me.", Duo growled low enough for only Heero to hear, "What, were you expecting me to be all happy and fucking jolly that you thought to show your face?"

"I had business to attend to. My fucking shit is missing, but I'm pretty sure you know this."

"Wufei squealed and the cops took everything.", Duo told him with a sneer, "Now what else did you want from me? I know damn well you didn't come here just to visit me."

Heero caught the edge in Duo's voice and he ignored it. The man was right; he didn't come just to visit him. Duo most likely had a tidbit of information that he needed.

"I'm looking for your brother.", he admitted with a shrug.

"What, he didn't knee in your balls hard enough?", Duo spat venomously.

"Fuck Duo, just tell me where he is!", Heero yelled, catching the attention of others in the room.

"Fuck you, Heero.", Duo said, shaking his head, "You find the little fucker on your own."

Duo didn't know where Wufei was, he had an idea but he didn't know exactly. Besides, Heero could find him on his own. Standing from the table, Duo went to make his way back to his room.

"Where the fuck do you think you're going?", Heero asked suddenly behind him.

"Fuck you, Heero.", Duo told him walking out of the visiting room.

Glaring at the braided man's back as he walked away, Heero muttered something under his breath before deciding it was time he left. He may not know where Wufei was, but he was damn well going to find him.

------------------------------

Duo stormed into his room, grabbing the first thing he could and flung it into a nearby wall. It shattered and the glass rained across the floor where Duo let himself drop in anger. He had no one, absolutely no one. Heero was now more interested in his fucking whore of a brother. It wasn't enough that the little bitch took his mother and his father, now he had to go ahead and take his fucking boyfriend. Well fuck Heero, fuck drugs, and fuck everything! He continued to sit there venting his anger, when he heard the door swing open. Violet eyes fired with rage glanced up to find Noin now standing in his doorway. Great, what the fuck did she want?

"What!", he practically yelled.

Noin had played witness to his visit and she could tell that Duo was pretty pissed. She made her way into the room, her eyes only glancing off of Duo to check out the mess of glass that now littered the floor. She really had to stop putting vases in his room; he didn't know how to appreciate them.

"What the fuck do you want!", Duo yelled impatiently.

"I had a thought.", she started slowly, taking a seat at the table in the center of Duo's room, "And I think that you've been making some sort of progress, not counting your temper tantrums."

"Yeah, so?", Duo asked, too tired to yell anymore, "What's your point?"

"Do you ever think about Wufei?", Noin asked, studying Duo and catching the gleam of anger that passed through his eyes.

"Fuck him.", he muttered, turning away.

"I think we should give him a call.", Noin continued, "Don't you?"

"Fuck no!", Duo cried, "I don't want to talk to the litt-"

"I know you don't want to but you need to. You and Wufei are still brothers, whether you like it or not.", she told him cutting him off, "You may not care, and Wufei may not know it, but he needs you. And if you call just this once, I won't ask it of you again."

Duo knew that if he didn't go along with it, he would never hear the end of it, and he was already pissed as it was. He turned back to look at Noin with a sigh of defeat.

"Where the fuck's the phone?", he asked, and Noin smiled triumphantly.

------------------------------

Nalini stared down at the green vegetable that was speared onto her fork. She made a face at it before looking up to her father with pleading eyes.

"Do I have to eat it?", she asked, looking back down at it.

"Yes, you do.", Quatre told her, "And no matter how much you beg, Wufei or Zechs will not eat it for you."

"I hate broccoli!", she whined with a pout, ignoring Wufei's snickers.

"Eat it.", was Quatre's only demand.

"But-"

She stopped short as she gained a look that she knew to avoid by now, and she forced herself to eat the broccoli and not bring it back up. Wufei, looked back and forth between the little girl and her father in curiosity. Nalini looked nothing like Quatre. The closest thing to relate to him were her blue eyes, but her hair was much darker than his, and Wufei was tempted to ask.

"Is something on your mind, Wufei?", Quatre asked.

"Uh, not really.", Wufei said looking up at the blond man, "I was just wondering. . . is Nalini adopted?"

"No, she's mine.", Quatre said with a smile.

"Then what happened between you and her mother?", Wufei asked.

"Well, her mother and I were both raised in families that arranged marriages for their children. ", Quatre explained, "We didn't like it, but for our parents' sake we went along with it. Of course, they wanted grandchildren, so we both decided to do what married people do and later on Nalini came along. Of course, she was born after the divorce so her mother has custody of her but she visits me mostly every weekend and spends the summers here. So, there's the story."

"Dad, I can't believe you just mentioned to us that you had Nalini the old fashioned way.", Zechs complained, "Now I'll never get that image out of my head and I don't even want it there. It's bad enough when I have to hear you and Pops going at it."

"Well Milliardo, if you weren't listening so hard, then it wouldn't be a problem.", Quatre said with a shrug, continuing with his dinner.

"No, I don't try to listen, you two are just unnecessarily loud."

Wufei and Nalini both laughed at the two who were caught in a small argument, but the ring of the phone broke the small moment of happiness. Standing from the table, Quatre walked to a side table where the phone rested.

"Hello?", he answered.

"Quatre, it's Noin."

"What is it?", Quatre asked, curious as to why she would call.

"Well, I was hoping that you'd allow Wufei to get a call."

Quatre glanced back to Wufei before turning back. He didn't have to ask who the call was from, and he tried his best not to sound angry.

"No!", he told her, obviously failing.

"Quatre, you have to let them talk to each other. How else do you suspect anything to be resolved? Duo needs to know that there is someone that needs him if he's supposed to change."

"Need him?", Quatre asked angrily, "Wufei doesn't need him, Noin! He wouldn't give a rat's ass if the boy was to drop dead in the next second."

"Just put the boy on the phone now!", Noin demanded, her anger surpassing Quatre's.

Sighing in defeat, Quatre muttered a "fine" before turning back to the table. All three of the kids were looking up at him, curious as to what he was angry about. Forcing a smile onto his face, Quatre held the phone up as his eyes landed onto Wufei.

"It's for you."

Wufei paused; who would be calling him here? Trowa most likely, but Quatre wouldn't have gotten so touchy if it had been him. So who could it be? Wufei looked at Zechs who only shrugged, before getting up and walking over to the phone. He took it from Quatre's hand, hesitating to put it to his ear. He felt his heart pounding a mile a minute, and he had to try a few times before he finally found his voice.

"Hello?"

There was a short moment of silence and Wufei found that maybe the person had hung up. He was proven wrong when he heard a voice he would have never guessed to hear.

"So, you thought you got away did you?"

Wufei froze, and he swore that his heart nearly stopped.

"Duo?", it was said barely above a whisper.

"I heard that you're living with your teacher."

"I am.", Wufei told him, "It's temporary, only until you're ready to take me back. That is, if you want me back."

"Do you want to come back?", Duo asked.

"I-I don't know.", Wufei admitted, "Do you. . . do you want me back?"

"To tell you the truth, I think you should get used to where you are.", his brother told him, "You and I won't be seeing each other for a really long time."

"Oh.", was all Wufei could muster, "I. . . I have to go. There's school tomorrow and I have to go to bed."

"Whatever."

"Bye."

Quatre watched as Wufei slammed down the phone. Duo had said something to hurt him in someway. Wufei on the other hand fought back the lump in his throat. Duo didn't want him? Who cared? He had told him that enough during his entire lifetime. What difference did it make now? To hell with Duo, to hell with everything.

"Wufei?"

Wufei looked up to find Quatre staring down at him in concern and he forced himself to smile, although it felt as if he was near tears.

"I'm fine.", he lied, "I'm just going to head to bed. You know, there's school and all."

"Tomorrow's Saturday.", Quatre told him.

"Well, I'm just tired then. I'm going to head upstairs."

Quatre didn't try to stop him, but Zechs followed after him.

"Wufei-"

"No, Zechs.", Wufei said, stopping him, "I don't want to talk about."

Zechs said nothing else, he only watched as Wufei walked into the room, closing the bedroom door behind him.

T.B.C.

Crap, crap, crap! This is what happens when you rush to write something. I was limited to this computer and I really needed to get this chapter out and look at it. It's crap! *sobs* Please review, I need them. Tell me what you think and stuff. Ciao for a while people, I won't be getting access for a long while! *sigh* My computer's broke and this is my cousin's and. . . yeah. You'll have to wait for the next update. I'm sorry. u.u. Well, see you around.