Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Pain of Life ❯ Chapter 13

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]
Disclaimer: I don't own, so you can't sue.

Rating: You should know it by now.

Pairings: You should also know this.

Author's Note: I really don't know what the hell I wrote. I personally think it was something I didn't try to put effort in to and it came out crappy. However, I'll await your opinion. Read on.

------------------------------

"Shit!", Wufei swore, running over to the bed and dragging Trowa off of it.

It wasn't as if he didn't want Trowa to stay, he really wanted him to. However, Duo was storming towards the house. He was pissed, and Trowa's presence might just add to his anger. As his coat was flung towards him, Trowa could barely utter a word as he was pushed towards the bedroom door.

"Wufei, what the hell is going on?", Trowa demanded as he turned to look back at the ebony-haired boy, who looked up at him, the fact that he was scared was written all over his face, "Fei, what's wrong?"

Wufei looked away, not quite sure how to explain it to Trowa. Duo was now in the house, the loud shout of his name acknowledged that, and Wufei removed the chair from its post against the door.

"You have to go.", he announced, turning back to Trowa and placing a short and chaste kiss on his lips, "My brother's home. I can't explain it now, but I'll call you later."

Trowa shook his head in confusion, stopping Wufei from pushing him to the door.

"I don't understand."

Wufei groaned as he started, once again, to guide his perplexed boyfriend to the door.

"I said I can't explain. Just-"

The door opened as he reached it and Wufei froze as violet eyes glared into his room. They immediately landed on Wufei, unaware of the second presence. Of course that is until he actually looked toward the taller boy standing next to his brother. It took him awhile, his anger and stare had been focused intently on Wufei; nothing else mattered. Wufei nervously shifted as Duo's eyes looked over to Trowa, who only looked back and forth between the two brothers. The green-eyed teen slowly placed on his jacket, watching as Wufei's gaze took interest with the floor. There was something that was telling him to stay with his love, but he found it best to go. Even if he did decide to stay, Wufei would have told him it would be better off to leave.

"Who's this?", Duo questioned, violet eyes still on Trowa, "And why is he up here?"

Wufei didn't dare look up, he found it best and much easier to answer when eye contact was not made.

"I'm a friend of Wufei's.", Trowa answered for his lover, looking back to Duo, "I was helping him with our biology homework, but I-"

"Was leavin'?", Duo asked, Trowa catching the accent that made his Irish decent evident.

He looked back to his boyfriend, whose eyes gave him a pleading look that begged him to go, before turning to Duo and giving the man a nod.

"I'll see you Monday, Wufei.", Trowa called back as he made his way out of the room, "I hope that paper of yours turns out alright."

As Trowa walked into the hall, the door to Wufei's room closed and he stopped to look back at it. A few moments later he was satisfied that he could hear only soft mummers. He couldn't say Wufei was safe, but since nothing was happening, it was much easier for him to leave and he made his way downstairs.

"Leaving so soon?"

He looked to the entrance of the kitchen, where Heero now stood, not even bothering to give the man the pleasure by answering him. With his urge to attack the Japanese man restrained, Trowa continued in the direction of the front door, looking back at Heero with the same look as earlier, the same exact message conveyed. Only this time, he decided to add a few words to them.

"If you ever try to hurt him again, I swear you'll get what's coming to you.", he threatened, "You're fucking with the wrong person."

With those as his parting words Trowa left with one last glare, leaving Heero with an amused smirk on his face.

Back upstairs, the moment that Trowa was out the door, Duo's glare was back on Wufei. The boy shrunk away from it. Duo glanced towards Wufei's desk that was set against the opposite wall of his bed. His eyes then traveled back to Wufei, who still had his eyes on the floor. The desk was clear, and he knew you needed books to study with. He looked over to the bed, which although was still made, happened to be slightly ruffled. Once again, Duo noticed he hadn't found what he was searching for.

"You were studying you say?", Duo asked, not yelling for once.

Yet, the anger in his voice was evident. Wufei didn't lift his gaze to meet Duo's, but he nodded, finding the lump in his throat too difficult to talk around. He stilled as Duo took a step forward, wanting to move away but knowing that would only make things worse. As Duo now stood over his brother, he let his hands flex as he kept them down at his side. Wufei had a lot of explaining to do.

"This is actually quite funny.", Duo told his brother, not showing a hint of a smile to go along with his statement, "I thought that when you study, you usually use books; or is that just me?"

With his eyes looking up to his brother, Wufei's mouth opened to explain but nothing came out. This was turning into a nightmare with a large possibility he wouldn't be waking up from it any time soon.

"Listen, you little fuck.", Duo growled, now impatient and tired of his brother in general, "I want to know who the fuck that asshole was and what the fuck was he doing in my house! Why the fuck was he in your room!"

Wufei tried again to speak but failed miserably, his brother's gaze was boring into him and it took whatever little confidence he had and threw it away. He knew what this would head to, and it would all be very painful. He had to suppress himself from whimpering out loud as he thought about it.

"Answer me, you stupid fuck!", Duo yelled, causing Wufei to flinch away.

Wufei cursed his mistake, knowing his brother was now sure to hurt him. There was no escaping it, and if he didn't answer him soon, it would be worse.

"He and I were just studying, Duo. That's all.", he managed, although his voice was shaky.

He waited for several moments, waiting and bracing himself for a blow, but there wasn't any. At least not yet. Duo gave a sigh, rubbing his temples, as his eyes closed for a short moment.

"You were just studying?", he asked looking back to Wufei.

The boy nodded, now afraid to lose eye contact with his brother. Duo only nodded, turning his back on his brother, who was at the moment terrified at his half-brother's unusual behavior.

"You were just studying?", Duo repeated, not turning to face the ebony haired boy.

"Yes.", Wufei murmured softly, after remembering Duo wasn't able to see his nod.

After he had answered, he hadn't expected the next turn of events. He was caught off guard, and he hadn't braced himself for it. Duo's fist connected with his jaw, and he immediately fell to the floor. His jaw throbbed and in a few seconds, it felt as if it was broken. He wanted to sob in pain, but he knew to hold them, this was merely the beginning.

"Don't you dare fucking lie to me!", Duo bellowed, glaring down at his brother, "I fucking know you weren't studying up here! Now what the fuck was he doing in my house! And why the fuck was he in here!"

He wasn't sure if his jaw would work correctly, but Wufei tired to answer Duo any way.

"I'm not ly-"

He was unable to continue, groaning in pain as Duo decided to kick him in his side. The same side that had only healed a few days ago. The brutal beating continued for a few moments more, until Wufei was cornered to the wall where he curled up in a fetal position silently sobbing as everything throbbed. He heard Duo pacing back and forth in obvious anger, and although he couldn't see, he knew his brother was glaring at him. He was probably trying to figure out if he should continue to beat the shit out of him or let him wallow in his pain. He would most likely choose the first choice.

"Duo, you have a visitor.", a voice broke the silence.

Heero now stood in the doorway, and Duo turned to look at him as if he wasn't allowed to interrupt him whenever he was in the process of beating the crap out his brother. Wufei was only grateful when Duo stormed out of the room. However, Heero remained, and he managed to glimpse up at the man who strode over to him. What in the world did he want now?

"Wufei.", Heero started kneeling next to the boy, "I-"

"Leave me alone!", the Chinese boy hissed, inching away from the Japanese man, "Get out!"

"I don't know if I should. After all, I am your ticket from Duo beating the shit out of you.", Heero said with a smirk, "Besides, you and I need to have a little talk."

Forcing himself up into a sitting position, Wufei winced as his side throbbed, however his eyes narrowed on the still smirking asshole that was now a good two feet away from him. What the hell did he mean he had something to discuss with him? Why would Wufei want to speak with him in the first place? They weren't close, they weren't friends, and Wufei would try his best to keep it that way. As far as he was concerned, Heero was the one person he now tried his best to avoid as much as possible. So far he was failing; miserably.

"We have nothing to discuss.", Wufei announced, his voice hinting dismissal of the matter.

He tried his best not to whimper as he struggled to his feet, and pretended as if he hadn't felt the short burst of anger come from Heero. This wasn't going to go too well. He was barely in a standing position when he felt his arm held in a death grip, and he was forcefully turned to face the Japanese man. That caused his side to convulse in pain and he voiced his agony with a short cry, as his free hand went to cradle it. His vision blurred for a moment and he shook his head to clear it.

"I don't know about you, but I think we do have something to discuss.", Heero growled, his grip tightening as Wufei tried to pull away.

"Yuy, get off of me!", Wufei cried, still struggling, "I told you we have nothing to talk about. Now let me go or else-"

"Or else what!", Heero barked, causing Wufei to flinch, "You'll get your little boyfriend to come after me! Here's a newsflash for you Wufei, he's nothing compared to me. I'm not afraid of him, and if I wanted I could kill him without even trying."

Wufei stared into flaming colbat eyes, wondering what the hell the man meant before it finally hit him. He gave out a small laugh, before his eyes met with Heero's again. This was rich.

"What the fuck's so funny?", Heero asked, his glare never yielding.

"You're so fucking pathetic, Heero.", Wufei said with a laugh, "For fuck's suck, you're jealous of a seventeen year old boy."

"Who the hell said I was jealous of that fucking little prick?"

"You didn't have to say anything!", Wufei snapped, "You are jealous, I know you are. You want to know why?"

Heero didn't answer and Wufei took it upon himself to take Heero's silence as confirmation.

"It's because Trowa was able to get the one thing you'd been trying to get since the first day you ever saw me.", Wufei revealed, knowing Heero heard the venom in his voice, "He didn't even have to try, because he got it willingly, and you're fucking envious. And that's what makes it so pathetic, Yuy. It's what makes it so sickening."

Wufei gasped as the grip on his arm tightened and the predatory gaze Heero had didn't put him at ease. Luckily for him, the knock at his door stopped whatever turn of events from happening. Letting go of the ebony haired boy's arm with a quick shove, Heero made sure to put a good distance between them before the door was opened, revealing Duo who held a practiced calm. It was a shell hiding what was truly being felt. It didn't take a genius to read the anger illuminating from violet eyes. Something besides Wufei had made him angry, or maybe, it was something else pertaining to him.

"Someone's here to see you.", his brother announced.

Duo's words only shocked him for a short moment. Who could be here to see him that both Heero and his brother hadn't turned away?

------------------------------

Two figures sat on the couch, both sitting as still as possible. A pair of blue-green eyes looked over the contents of the living room, finding that it contained very little. What did stand out was the picture of a man and woman, a little boy held up between them. It was a black and white photo, probably meant to be taken in that color, and he could tell that it wasn't Wufei. The picture wasn't taken here in America either. It seemed to be somwhere overseas, in Europe perhaps. So that was Duo at what age? Three, four years old? He could only wonder what had happened to the happy little boy.

"You care for that boy don't you, Quatre?"

The now startled man, having already forgotten he wasn't alone, turned to the woman that had accompanied him on his visit. Actually, it was really the woman's visit and he had accompanied her. She had suggested that he did.

Giving her a smile, he directed his eyes to a nearly hidden picture of an Asian woman holding up her newborn son to a camera. The woman resembled him, there was no doubt that she was Wufei's mother. He felt a pang of remorse run through him and he found that he did care for Wufei.

"Yes, I do.", Quatre answered, voicing his own thoughts.

The woman smiled up at him and he returned it. Their attention was drawn to the entrance of the living room, where Wufei and his brother now stood. He caught site of a man he hadn't met behind him, and his eyes narrowed for only a second. He barely had anytime to fully study him before the man was gone, whispering something to Duo before slipping out of the front door. His eyes returned back to Wufei and he noticed the darkening bruise on his jaw. However, he didn't acknowledge the fact that he knew. As Wufei's eyes met his, he gave the boy a smile, and he saw Wufei relax from the tense state he was in. He felt proud of the fact that his presence put the boy at ease.

"So, this is Wufei?", the woman asked standing from her place next to the blond man.

The boy nodded as he looked to her, and she crossed the room, taking his hand in hers.

"It's a pleasure to meet you."

Wufei nodded again, and she smiled down at him.

"Do you mind terribly if we sit and talk for a while?", she asked him.

Wufei didn't object and took a seat on the recliner opposite to the couch she sat back on. Duo took to standing on the far wall near the window that overlooked the street, that at the moment only held the car that Quatre and the woman had to have traveled in. Violet eyes glared at the convertible he had had the pleasure of running into a few hours earlier, before they turned back to look at its owner.

"I'll start by introducing myself, I'm Lucrezia Noin. I'm a friend of Quatre's and he asked me to come and talk with you."

"He did?", Wufei asked looking to his guidance counselor, who shrugged with a nervous smile.

"Yes, he did.", she confirmed with a smile, "I asked your brother too, he gave me permission as well."

From the looks of it, Duo probably had no choice. This put Wufei in a tight spot because he wasn't sure if whatever they talked about would anger Duo at all. The possibility that they did was extremely high. Taking note of the boy's sudden nervousness, Noin looked to Quatre and got a quick understanding.

"We can talk alone if it'll make you feel more comfortable, Wufei.", Noin suggested, her eyes narrowing to Duo, "If the presence of your brother and Quatre in the room makes you unsure of yourself, they can leave. Do you want them to?"

Wufei only nodded, afraid that his voice would betray him and he watched as Quatre stood. Duo, moving from the wall, led the man out of the living room, shooting back a glance that Wufei was sure was a promise of pain if he told them anything.

"We're alone now.", Noin informed him, turning his attention back to her, "I'd like to ask you a few questions and you have to promise me that you will answer them truthfully."

"Okay.", Wufei softly answered with a nod.

Noin smiled before clearing her throat and leaning forward some. Her eyes connected with Wufei and she lowered her voice so that overhearing others couldn't eavesdrop.

"How were things back in Jacksonville?", Noin asked, crossing one leg over the other, "That is where you lived before, am I right?"

Wufei nodded, before remembering that she was trying to make some sort of conversation, and he took a moment before answering.

"It was. . . ok.", he finally said, voice quavering.

"Just okay?"

"There were good days and there were bad days.", he quickly offered her.

"And what would you consider a bad day?", Noin asked, Wufei tensing.

"I don't know.", was the only answer he could muster.

His hands started to play with the ends of his shirt, and suddenly he felt as if Noin could read him without the answers she was looking for. Noin on the other hand knew that it would be hard for Wufei to tell her anything. He had already opened some to Quatre, but he had yet to tell the man anything about abuse. That's why she was here, to confirm Quatre's suspicion.

"Wufei, I'm going to come clean with you.", she said standing, "Quatre has a few suspicions and worries about you and your brother."

"I don't know what you're talking about.", he was taking a defensive stance.

"Yes, you do.", she told him, "Your father was an alcoholic and he used to hit you, didn't he?"

Wufei's eyes looked away from her, and she took his silence as the answer to her question, urging her to keep pushing.

"He used to hit your mother, as well?", she asked, watching Wufei's fingers grip at the armrest of the chair, "He hit Duo and his mother also, didn't he?"

Still no answer from the fifteen year old boy in front of her. She took this as a sign that Wufei was not going to tell her. She'd have to just assume and make judgement, which she didn't want to do.

"Here's what I've been able to put together from what Quatre's told me.", she started, seating herself on the coffee table directly in front of Wufei, who turned away from her, "Your father use to hit both Duo's mother and yours. When both passed away, he took out his frustration on you and Duo. However, you were Duo's release from everything, so he hit you too. And he still does, doesn't he?"

She watched as Wufei struggled to not turn and look at her. She caught as Wufei's eyes, brimmed with tears, were no longer able to contain them. They spilled over, but she didn't reach out to comfort him. Not yet; he still had to answer her.

"That bruise you've got there, are you going to tell me it's from playing sports or from one of those fictional fights you get caught up in?"

Wufei was now unsure of what to do or say, and forced himself to swallow away the lump that had formed in his throat. Noin was a very determined woman. He knew that she wouldn't allow his silence to go on for too long, and he figured he had to say something. Anything to get her off of his back. She wouldn't have been here if Quatre hadn't told her anything.

"He promised that he wouldn't tell anyone.", he mumbled out loud, unaware that he had done so, "How did he know anyway?"

"Wufei, look at me.", Noin nearly whispered, gently turning his head so ebony eyes met with hers, "Quatre figured it out, he's not stupid. He only told me because he cares about you. If Duo's harming you, if you're in any danger living with him, you have the right to get help; to get as far away from him as possible."

"I can't.", Wufei whimpered trying to turn away from her.

She wouldn't allow him to.

"Yes, you can. I'll help you, Quatre will help you. Just give us the word, and you won't have to ever see Duo again."

"But he'll-"

"No.", Noin sternly said, cutting him off, "I promise you that he will never hurt you again. You won't have to see him ever again unless you choose to see him. It's not usually done that way, but I can pull a few strings for you. Just say the word Wufei, or give me a signal, or whatever. Show me in someway that you want me to help you."

Wufei froze for a short period of time. Confused, scared, unsure of what to do. If he left, Duo would most likely find him. However, his mind was more intently focused on what would happened if he turned Noin and Quatre's help away. Duo may actually live up to his well known threat of beating Wufei until he was dead. It was fear that made Wufei fall into an embrace that Noin had provided for him, and he gave her a sobbed yes, as she stroked his hair. As Wufei cried, Noin pulled out a cellular phone from her nearby purse before dialing in a number. The only words that she gave was an order to whomever had answered on the other end of the line. And from what Wufei had caught, he found there were going to be some drastic changes in his life.

------------------------------

Half an hour had passed since Quatre had heard Wufei's sobs from the kitchen, and now he and Duo sat across from each other at the kitchen table. The two were silent, the only sound was the humming of the refrigerator motor and the soft murmurs of Noin's voice from the living room. Quatre wasn't sure how things were going to turn out. Noin had told him there was a chance that Wufei wouldn't give them any sign of what Duo did, meaning there was no possible way that Wufei would walk out of that house with his belongings that night. However, he was sure that the bruise forming on Wufei's jaw was proof enough for Noin, she would only need a confirmation from Wufei himself. Which he felt she had already gotten.

"You're going to take Wufei from me, aren't you?", Duo's voice asked, breaking the eerie silence of the kitchen.

It startled Quatre, and the man brought eyes to Duo, who looked down at an empty glass that had been filled with scotch. What surprised him the most was the question; he hadn't been expecting it. Of course, he knew Duo was bound to figure it out sooner or later. He didn't know if to answer the question directly or not.

"Take the little shit.", Duo said, not bothering to lift his eyes from the empty glass, "He's more fucking trouble then he's worth."

Quatre felt anger boil over inside of him, but he restrained himself from reacting. How could Duo be so cruel and uncaring?

"Duo-", Quatre had tried, but the braided man cut him short.

"Don't try to make it sound as if you had no fucking clue what was going to happen when you stepped foot in my fucking house!", Duo snapped angrily, his eyes glowering at the blond man in front of him, "Wufei deserved every fucking thing that was ever done to him. He was the cause of every fucking problem I ever had. So, now I'm more than happy to get that little son of bitch away from me."

Quatre stood to object, but Duo continued.

"So fucking take him! I don't give two shits!", Duo yelled standing from the table, "Put him in a fucking foster home for all I care! Send him to a fucking orphanage, but I'll let you know one thing right now! There's not one thing that can change my mind about him, nothing you can do or say that would make me want to go any where near him!"

Quatre, sensing Duo was not only angry but near hysterics, thought it would be more sensible to stay in his place. He caught Duo double over in pain, and he watched as the boy made his way over to a kitchen drawer, ripping it open in a haste that sent the contents inside across the kitchen's linoleum floor.

"Heroin?", Quatre asked himself out loud as he made out the shapes of the needles spread across the floor.

He found Duo falling to gather one, but he urged himself to rush over and stop him before he could.

"Fuck off!", Duo screeched, struggling to get out of the man's grip, as Quatre now restrained him from picking up the much needed drug, "Get the fuck off of me!"

The sudden commotion had caused Noin to make her way into the kitchen, and she stopped short in her place as her eyes scanned over the needles on the kitchen floor. Drugs? Duo was on drugs? She felt Wufei behind her, and she only gave him a look that told him to stay put before she was making her way over to where Quatre now held Duo, immobilizing the still swearing man. As she stood over them, her eyes narrowed on the braided man and she lowered herself down his level making sure she met eyes with him.

That was after her hand was ripped harshly across his face. It wasn't completely out of anger, it was a way to snap him out of whatever he was in, and fortunately for them it worked. Duo looked back at her, his face pinched in pain, but his eyes glazed over in anger met with hers as he breathed in deep, ragged pants.

"Mr. Maxwell, let me just start by saying that I am not pleased with the events of this evening.", Noin started, voice stern and her tone implying that she was both very serious and very angry.

Duo only stared back, his breathing still hard, and he didn't care to resist Quatre's hold anymore. He only did his best not to whimper out loud, as pain seared maddingly slow throughout his entire body. Wufei watched wide-eyed and still more scared than ever. Quatre, although angry, looked the most collected out of them all.

"As an agent for the Board of Child welfare, I have the capability to choose whether or not a child will be taken from his parents or guardians. I believe I've already come to terms of what I think of your own household. Do wish for me to share?"

Duo stubbornly kept quiet, his eyes glancing to Wufei, who stumbled away from him as if he could come after him at any second. Although she wasn't really expecting an answer, Noin waited until Duo met eyes with her again before continuing with her verdict.

"You, Mr. Maxwell, are unfit for the role as legal guardian to Wufei. He will be taken to a holding facility until we find a place for him.", she informed him, Duo cursing underneath his breath, "And as for you, I'm sure you'll be charged for possession of illegal substances. However, I'm insisting that you get the help you deserve. You'll be assigned to a rehabilitation facility, and maybe after you've come to your senses, you'll be able to see your brother."

Quatre looked up at Noin, who only nodded before turning away. Wufei stared at his older brother before he looked to Noin, not sure what was going to happen to him. Just what holding facility was Noin talking about? A foster home? Or a place where they kept kids just like him? That couldn't be what she meant.

"Where am I going, now that he has no say in what happens to me?", he asked, still not sure if he heard correctly.

Noin watched the emotions pass over Wufei's face and she gave a sigh.

"The most I can do Wufei is put you in a temporary hom-"

"No.", Wufei pleaded, already not liking the idea, "Isn't there another way? There has to be."

"Wufei, I don't know what else to do.", she reasoned, holding the boy by his shoulders, "You don't have any family members you can stay with, and I don't know anyone who will take you yet."

The opening of the front door turned everyone's attention, and Noin saw that it was the police. They were here for Duo and they strode past her to take care of him. Surprisingly, the man didn't resist and soon he was being guided out the door, violet eyes only looking back once at Wufei. The boy shrank away from his gaze. Noin, feeling that Wufei was in a state of loss, gave him an apologetic look before turning back to Quatre. The man was still in his place on the floor, his eyes looking to Wufei, who now sat in the doorway. The boy's head was buried in his arms, as they rested on his knees, those in which were drawn tight to his chest.

"I really don't know where to go from here.", Noin confessed as she looked back to the boy, "I don't know anyone I trust enough to let him stay with them. If it's not that, then he has to go to a group home."

"No, he doesn't.", Quatre said, turning blue-green eyes to her.

"And just where will he live, Quatre? With you?"

The question was meant to be rhetorical, but as Quatre gave her a soft smile, Noin knew she had found her answer.

"I want to help him, Noin. Please let me."

Looking up to Wufei, who now was looking around as if trying to gather everything into memory, she sighed in defeat.

"He stays with you.", Noin announced, Quatre letting go the breath he'd been holding, "I rather it be you then anyone else. I'll go tell him. You try to figure out how you're going to fit him in with two other house members and a daughter that visits every weekend."

Quatre smiled as she made her way to Wufei and he felt a sudden relief wash over him. He did have to tell his lover about the arrangements, but he was sure that he wouldn't mind. He was out of the country and Wufei would grow on him. As for Nalini, he was sure that she wouldn't mind either. She'd be more than happy for another big brother.

T.B.C.

I swear this fic sucks even more with every chapter. However, no matter how sucky it gets, I intend to finish it. REVIEW!!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!!! I NEED THEM! TELL ME IF YOU LIKE WHAT YOU'RE SEEING!! *clears throat* Yes well, ta ta for now! -_-'