Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Prisoner of War ❯ Step Three ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: It's just me as usual. I thought that it would be a good time to update. I hope everyone had a great Turkey Day! As for me? Well, if you think getting smacked with pillows over and over for twenty minutes by evil, not so little kids is fun . . . Other than that I got pissed off at my dad and just snapped. That prick incurred my wrath, and I surprised a whole bunch of parents. And oh yes, got some boy-drama, too. And this time I didn't even like the guy that way. I'm actually working on chapter twenty of this thing and 4 of TLM. Kind of sick of this computer, but I figure I can do this. I don't own Gundam Wing. The pairings are 1+2+1, 3+4+3, and 5+? All eventually as you can probably see. I hope you guys like this. I know it's incredibly long.

Chapter Sixteen

Recap:

"Heero . . ." he rasped in response, staring straight into the dark blue color. "No . . ." he shook his head slowly. "You died," his brow creased in confusion and denial. "You're dead . . . My dream . . . And - it was all over the news . . . The huge explosion, and oh God . . ." He instantaneously shot up, embracing the confused soldier with fierce fervor and to insure his reality. "There were no survivors except for, for me - you died . . ." his voice cracked slightly at the last word, muffled through Heero's wife-beater. The astonished soldier hesitantly wrapped his arms loosely around the normally cheerful pilot, resting at his waist. Slowly comforted by each other touch, peace seemed to conquer the nightmares and calm the fears . . .

* * *

For a long, lingering moment of true peace, they rested in each other's arms, just simply being near him, holding him, made everything else disappear. Heero felt content for first time in many, many years, no confusion, no thoughts, no denial, just peaceful silence. With procrastination, the Prussian-eyed soldier eased the boy from his arms. Gazes of midnight blue and soft violet locked for a small second before they became painstakingly aware of their current position. Duo's dark glance slid away shyly, and he released a soft laugh of embarrassment.

"Uh . . . Sorry, man," he apologized, one hand reaching behind his thick tresses to scratch the back of his head. "Bad dream, that's all." `Nightmarish is more like it. He's still alive . . . '

"How did I die?" Ignoring the braided boy's apology, Heero asked him without warning.

"It was what happened after the - other dream," Duo explained, stumbling over the explanation. "You had to go, and all of a sudden, there was this big explosion. I don't know how . . . " his brow creased deeply, "But I survived it miraculously. And I saw that the whole place was pretty much obliterated. I ran. I ran as far as I could, not looking back. On the way to whatever hole I called home I saw the reporters and media was everywhere. No one knew what happened," his voice grew quieter with every sentence that rolled off his tongue with such difficulty.

"You hid . . . Didn't you?" Heero questioned softly.

"What else could I do?" All the despair and loneliness he felt then haunted his voice, his eyes. He raised his blue-violet depths after he spoke. "You seemed like a ghost when you woke me up." he confessed, "even though denied that you had died. Until I could see evidence, I couldn't believe the news or what I had seen. Something was missing."

"What was?" confused, gently, he pressed the other pilot.

"It felt like - " he murmured, losing himself in Prussian blue orbs, "like in my heart, I knew you were alive," he breathed quietly. He shook his head slightly as if to clear stray wanderings and thoughts. "As weird as that sounds," a touch of his normal humor reentered the serious tone. "It's strange," he chortled lightly. "Even now that I'm awake, it seems like I'm remembering more and more things about it. "I know you think it's my overactive imagination, but I-" he was cut off.

"Iie," Heero interjected roughly, looking away himself.

"What? What do you mean?" Puzzlement clouded over the dark lilac. Again, the braided soldier attempted to catch the glance of the perfect soldier, matching the Japanese youth's futile attempts of refusal. "Heero," he spoke in a warning tone.

"I had the same dream," he admitted at last. "The only difference was that it was from my point of view."

Purple pools widened enormously, "Shit!" he swore. "Are you serious?" unwilling, hope flared in his heart, anticipation.

In answer to his question, Heero's callused palm reached out slowly, shifting through folds of black clothing in search of a singular object. His solid grasp brushed against Duo's skin, and he unwillingly shivered, not understanding the stoic pilot's actions. His mouth formed questions, but no words could bypass his parched throat; he could only watch. Finding the object it had been searching for, his grip extracted from beneath the layers, gingerly clasping a simple, gold cross. Duo still could only watch in surprise.

"I saw this . . . " Heero explained. "I saw it around your neck."

"My cross," he muttered in amazement. "I've never let anyone touch it before," mumbling sounded from his mouth. "You . . . " cobalt orbs turned to stare at the Japanese youth, narrowing just a little. "Whenever someone gets near it, I would get medieval on `em even if I wasn't consciously aware of it. The Oz guards even learned to back off after the first time . . . "

"It didn't happen to me," the dark-haired pilot provided an obvious statement.

"I know," Duo trailed off, not knowing what to say. Abruptly, he decided to speak again, "I remember that we both found this cross the first day we met," he smiled, lips curving gently. "I guess it's as much yours as it is mine," looking thoughtful for a minute, he grinned. "Of course I had it longer," corrected the American.

`Was it really a memory? That explanation is growing more plausible by the second… I have more important things to worry about right now.' "Duo," the single word brought about the America pilot's attention.

Tilting his head to the side, absentminded, violet eyes glanced upward at the soldier expectantly, "Hmm?"

"I received an assignment last night," Sudden authority made its return in his tone of voice and body language, pushing away any meandering thoughts that lingered around him. "I depart from this safehouse in around an hour from now."

"What's the assignment?" dark orchid narrowed in question, and Duo leaned closer towards the messy-haired soldier in effort to hear the quiet words.

"Classified," he stated flatly, giving him an even gaze with dark blue eyes. "Do not attempt to escape, do not attempt to go anywhere, and do not cause any trouble," he warned in complete monotone.

`Like hell I won't . . . ' An idea instantly lit up in Duo's mind. "Why can't you tell me what it is?" he inquired curiously.

"It's classified information as I have said before," the Japanese youth reiterated himself.

"So it's dangerous," he nodded in acceptance, carefully watching the reaction he would receive. Nothing crossed the Asian features of Heero's face.

"Not inevitably, just classified," retorted he, gazing impassively into amethyst orbs.

Blowing a stray, chestnut colored bang away from his heart-shaped face, Duo exasperated. "You can't even tell me if it's dangerous or not?"

"If by dangerous you mean there are risks, then yes, Duo, it is dangerous," Heero responded in a clipped voice.

"How big are these risks?" he murmured softly.

"Our difference in judgement of how large the risks are vary, so to provide completely accurate information is an impossibility," once again, the perfect soldier easily evaded the question.

"Well do you consider it to be dangerous?" raising a finely arced eyebrow, Duo specified.

"It does not matter. I am just doing what I was born to do," a simple statement.

"You weren't born to be a damn soldier," Duo whispered lowly, a dangerous mask of control concealed his underlying anger as he gazed at him evenly, impassively.

"It's the purpose of my existence," the Prussian-eyed youth responded.

"No," the braided one shook his head with a somehow emotionless smile playing across his lips, "you were meant to do more than just fight. What happens when this war is over?"

`I've already discussed this with him once. Stupid American…'

With a mouth already equipped with the answer, Duo immediately interrupted his voice before it had a chance to be heard, "You will live through this."

"You cannot be certain," Heero protested.

"Of this," he gestured, "I can."

"I consider it dangerous," he confessed finally, cutting off the violet-eyed one's rambling. `I don't need to waste any further time with this baka.' "You have your answer. Do not attempt to escape, do not attempt to go anywhere, and do not cause any trouble," he repeated his initial warning, emphasizing the do nots clearly.

"Yeah, I know," Duo sighed, a bored expression relaxing his heart-shaped face. `Guess he means no seeing Deathscythe either, huh? Well we'll see about that, Yuy.'

After the Japanese youth left, he rubbed his groggy eyes; yawning and stretching sleep-laden arms, the pilot blinked several times in succession before he felt like he could leave the comfort of the bed. `I need to find Wufei . . . Maybe he knows that this mission is all about.' With that thought implanted into his mind, he, in a determined pace, began to dress himself. And the white, oak door was swinging closed before a minute was over.

Bounding down the stairwell, brimming with endless energy, Duo casually looked around the area. He never ceased to be amazed by the beautiful design of the house although he had resided there for five days now. The braided pilot noticed no sign of the Chinese man as he strode through each room of the lavish mansion.

Surprisingly, it was Wufei that had spotted him first, "Maxwell?" a slight scowl was present on his features, but he rarely looked happy. `I'm lucky that I could actually find him in this place.'

"Hey Wu-man!" Duo greeted him warmly, slapping the Asian pilot behind the back.

"My name is Wufei!" going along with their almost routine greeting, the undignified soldier's obsidian eyes narrowed to glare sternly at him.

"Aww! But Wu-man is so much more fun. Plus I get to piss you off," laughed the American. "Come to think of it, it kind of sounds like woman," he mused mostly to himself yet loud enough for both soldiers to concisely hear the words.

The pilot of Shenlong growled, "You're the one with that three feet long braid," he pointed out. Instantaneously, he yelped in surprise/pain as he felt a solid grip enclose and yank at his short ponytail. "Kisama!" he swore, twirling around to face a broadly grinning Duo.

"You have pretty long hair for a guy, too!" he retorted. "Hey, maybe I can do a makeover and make you look like a true `Wu-man!'"

"Onnas are weak," Wufei grumbled. "Look, I did have a reason that I came to find you this morning."

"What?"

"You're coming along on that mission with us. 03 and 04 will also be there along with Yuy and myself," he informed him.

"Huh? All of us?" perplexed blue-violet stared questioningly at the Asian pilot.

"That's what Master O had said on the message," he looked at him grimly.

"But that means - " Amethyst pools grew impossibly large. "Oh fuck!" he cursed. `So it was a dangerous mission . . . Why else would they need all five of us? I must have gotten that assignment on my laptop, which is - in Deathscythe.' "Where's Heero?" frantically he searched for the Japanese youth with no avail.

"I saw him leave to get ready for it just a while ago," Wufei recalled from his memory.

"Then I guess he'll have to find out in battle . . . " he murmured softly to himself. `That makes it so much easier to bring up,' he thought wryly. "Take me to Deathscythe," he commanded the Chinese boy, the same, hard glint in his eye during a mission flashed in the cobalt pools.

Nodding with understanding, Wufei agreed quickly to the braided pilot's order. `It will take at least fifteen, solid minutes of running to get to Duo's hangar from here. He doesn't know where it is-so I have to go with him. That leaves roughly twenty minutes for me to be ready to fight. It should be possible.'

The cobalt-eyed soldier trailed behind him as they dashed past the dark, leafy-green cover of foliage. It wasn't as quick as a sprint; it was a pace more suitable of longer distances for both pilots. `Thank God Wufei is here. Otherwise I would have been in quite a situation.' "Hey," he panted out between shallow breaths of oxygen. "How far . . .?" The lack of exercise and his injuries would laggard haphazardly at his pace, but still Duo could run a solid five-minute mile while keeping the stamina for a longer period of time. Not his best but it would have to do.

"Just two and a third of a mile... left," his comrade responded, black gaze trained at the terrain in front of the pair.

The bobbing motion indicating his understanding nearly passed the Chinese pilot by. `I'm coming, buddy . . . We're gonna fry some Ozzies tonight.' They surrounds passed by as a complete blur of the colors of nature, dizzying to look at, so instead his eyes were focused directly to the goal. A content smirked curled comfortably across his rose lips as familiarities of the area began to piece together in his mind. `I'm back. Well almost back at least.'

His thick rope of hair slapped against his back, being whipped the by air he sliced neatly through, wisps of dark honey and chestnut framing the elfin features. Wufei's obsidian gaze ran across the sight of the running boy, jaw tightly set in determination. `He's thinking about Yuy, isn't he? He feels more than just friendship for the guy; I know that much, but does he? Something is different, and he seems to be confused by something. He pushes it away, thinking of the battle. How long will this go unnoticed? That will depend on the success of the mission. They seem so in sync with each other. I have never seen either of them act this way. And they way they kissed . . . Kuso! Why am I concerning myself with other people's love matters when there is a battle ready to start?' Wiping his previous thoughts from memory, he steered Maxwell towards the expertly concealed hangar, pace slowing.

"Remember this place?" he asked, still breathless, turning his head to face the braided joker.

"Whoo!" he laughed outright. "I so out of shape!" he grinned at the Chinese boy next to him. Hands supported his upper-body weight, placing pressure on slightly bent knees, and he breathed heavily. "Yeah. Hey, want me to give you a lift?" the suggestive wriggling of his eyebrows added a finishing touch to his humor.

Incredulous, ebony depths widened enormously at the ridiculous proposition, "Cram two people in a gundam cockpit?!"

"Hey!" Duo pouted. "How do you think I got here?"

"You two are insane . . . " he mumbled under his recovering breath.

"Resourceful, yes," he agreed thoughtfully. "Heero insane? Could it be?!"

"If that's how you want to put it," he couldn't contain the small smirk. "Well, Maxwell, I'll see you in battle." He gave an offhand wave with his slender digits as he left Duo in front of the hangar.

Watching the retreating figure of his friend, Duo gave a small frown, "Guess he didn't take me seriously."

With a shrug, he accessed entrance to the hangar with ease. Light filtered through the opening, and the braided soldier's smile grew even broader as the magnificence of his gundam, Deathscythe, was revealed in all its glory to his relaxed stance. He slowly approached the massive machine, examining the mecha, tracing a finger across it almost lovingly.

"Missed me?" he smiled softly. "We have to do really great tonight," he informed Deathscythe. "We got to impress Heero and the others. Completing a successful mission would do the trick, don't you think?" he patted the sleek, gundanium alloy twice.

He climbed aboard the massive advanced mobile suit without much struggle and into the cockpit. Carelessly strewn about the floor was his laptop, which he hastily picked up and turned on to rid himself of the insistent and not to mention annoying beeping. He carefully read the parameters of this mission and reread until it was ingrained into his temporary memory storage space. The instructions were not overly difficult, but the risk assessments were enormous considering the odds. Five against an entire army of elite fighters from Oz hardly seems fair but then again, a gundam pilot is trained to be the very best of the best. So wrapped up in his thoughts, one of the so-called best had forgotten to accept his mission before he took his leave . . .

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~

"This is all your fault, J," G grumbled rather loudly.

"How is this my fault?" Dr. J questioned, eyes blazing behind a pair of goggles.

"Your boy, 01," he sneered, "captured 02. And now, he doesn't know about the mission!"

The old man released a twisted scowl, "Well 02 should have told him who he was in the first place!"

"This is useless... I guess we'll just have to make do with four. Since there's not much we can do about it."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~

"02 is not coming," the impassive face of Heero Yuy flashed on the other pilots' intercoms. "He never accepted or rejected the assignment he was given." `That pilot is the only one I haven't met yet.'

Wufei nearly betrayed his shock, obsidian depths widening only slightly before returning to the normal state. `Maxwell, you baka! You forgot to accept the mission, didn't you?'

"05, you mentioned you have done some missions with him," Quatre remembered suddenly. "Do you know where he could be?"

As the Chinese pilot parted his mouth to speak, the strangest possibility flashed across Heero's mind. `Is 02 . . .?' He never got to complete the thought as the first specks of aerial mobile suits appeared. "We have to do this with four pilots," he announced, body tensing in preparation for battle.

"Make that five!" an all too familiar voice rang through the intercom. "Shinigami ga jigoku kara mai modotte kita ze!"[1] A youthful American with a three feet long braid snaking behind him and a pair of cobalt eyes smirked at shocked faces. `Not quite how I wanted to tell you all, but it'll do!'

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~

[1] That means The God of Death has come back from Hell in case someone doesn't know what that means. ^_^;; Direct quote from Duo actually, just retyped it up there, which means I don't own that either. And yes, it's just for Heero's benefit.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~

Dewshine- Hey! And yes, it was Fei! ^_______^ Gotta love that bastard. I had the weirdest and most disturbing dream last night. Ugh, I can't even speak of it, but the fun part was when I could fly. I love that feeling, you know? It's so awesome. I think it started out with Harry Potter (seen that movie twice already) then mixed with Spider-man and Gundam Wing. It was just weird . . . Then the disturbing parts came, but I was able to escape the whole thing. I think I ended up being in France or something. Well anyway, Turkey Day was on Thursday! I hopped around. First I was at Katie's house for two hours, and we watched mindless television at her neighbors and then ate some lunch/dinner food. Then I went to the store and then Yun's house. After eating some food there, Eric took us to the movies. His friends wanted to see Harry Potter, so we watched it again, much more fun than the first time with my dad. Then we went back to her house, and I got to go on the Internet. That was about when her little brother and his little, evil friends started to whack me with pillows. It was hard, and it hurt. Gave me a frickin' headache. I wanted to kill them . . . Went on for about fifteen minutes. Anyway, I survived that day, and I'm going to go skiing tomorrow at Perfect North with Yun. I don't know if she's still bringing her boyfriend, Tom. Well I think I rambled on long enough . . . Thank you so much for the review! As for your questions - Heero is of course a very intelligent person. So why didn't he figure it out? Well, he has his suspicions of course, but he trusts Duo enough for him to eventually tell him what's going on. Plus, Wufei has a mission the next day, so it's better to ask him when he gets back. The flashback thing, I know that was probably really confusing. I didn't really take the time to explain, so whoops on my part ^_^;; The thing is that J wanted them to forget each other, mainly Heero because it'll become a liability and all. So he set it up just in case, and also because it would cover his tracks later on. And it's totally okay to ask those questions. Half the time I have no idea why I write certain things until I have to explain things like this. Well, this is getting way too long. I have a tendency to ramble. Ciao!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~

Done! Well, that wasn't too bad! Anyway, I'll probably be back by next week, so that's when people can expect an update. Thanks for all the support everyone who reads though. I have a lot of projects to get done before break is over, so I better get cracking. I hope "y'all" like it. I think I'm turning into my friends o.O Cya!