Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Project Isis ❯ An Unfortunate Turn ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Project Isis Part 4

(An UnfortunateTurn)

Carrington stood amidst a row of four foot tubes filled with an amber colored fluid. Hands clasped casually behind his back he viewed the statistics displayed on a small computer screen on each of the tubes. Curled into the fetal position in each tube were life forms in different stages of growth. The one on the far end was only barely visible to the eye marking it as an embryo barely beginning its growth. The two tubes next to it housed half matured copies of experiment number 1085. Carrington nodded with approval noting that the hormones administered to the clones to encourage rapid growth were not harming their bodies. In the final tube resided a human fetus looking only months away from being ready to support itself in the outside world. Carrington's hand grazed across the keyboard paying special attention to the heartbeat and brain function. With a barely contained triumphant grin he pressed his hand to the glass,

"At long last, I am successful." The whispered words indeed sounded almost half crazed with single minded obsession.

"Dr. Carrington," his aide called from the door, "Mr. Bishop is on the phone. He wants you to report on your progress."

"Yes, yes, tell him I'll be there in a moment." Carrington dismissed the aide with a flippant wave of his hand. "Foolish brutes, all of them! The things I must do for the progress of science." His disgust at the interruption was evident but none-the-less he composed himself and exited the laboratory. Mastering his impatience he positioned himself in front of a vid-screen where a man perhaps a decade or so younger than the him was waiting impatiently.

"I don't like to be kept waiting, Carrington." The man chastised in a clear, clipped tone.

"I'm very busy right now, what do you need?" The man narrowed his eyes at the doctor's impertinence. Smoothing a hand along the lapels of his expensive suit he mastered himself,

"I'd like to know how you are progressing and when exactly I will be able to get the clones you promised me."

"It's not the same as tossing a few seeds to the earth; this is complicated genetic growth we're talking about! One must be especially careful with the construction of cells that have been tampered with, not to mention the great risk to the mental development and muscle growth associated with speeding the growth rate as we are. You will simply have to be patient, I'm sure your clients will understand." Carrington grumbled sighing with frustration.

"Until I get paid I will not have money to finance your research, Doctor."

"Fine, fine! It should be another three weeks or so until they reach their physical peak, but they will not have any training physically or mentally."

"The mental aspect of your creations is not of our concern."

"How goes the search for 1085?" Carrington hastily changed the subject to avoid any further harassment for speedier progress.

"She's under the wing of the Presenters, there is little we can do to retrieve her. That is why it is imperative that you hurry with your work. It is only a matter of time before you are rediscovered and my organization is dragged down with you."

"The secrecy and safety of my research is your concern. I must spend all of my time developing my experiments. Will there be anything else?" The man bristled quietly before disconnecting without any farewell. "That is the trouble with businessmen, they want everything right away with no concern for quality!" Carrington glowered as he stalked back to his office to continue with his calculations and his study of extensive sections of DNA.

* * *

Relena massaged the back of her neck as she glanced over the extensive report draped across her desk eclipsing all other documents. For more than an hour she had merely sat reading and re-reading the report with shock and incredulity. Before her lay a decision of enormous importance, a decision which she had little idea how to approach. Her deep contemplation was cut short by a wracking cough that lasted for over a minute. She grasped her chest as each cough sent lances of fire through it. Once the violent spasm ceased she rested her head in her hands waiting for the accompanying wave of dizziness to pass. Blindly she fumbled with a drawer and drew out a bottle of antibiotics. She swiftly swallowed two of them with the aid of water allowing herself a moment of rest before returning to the report.

"Miss Dorilan?" Came a voice from her intercom.

"Yes?"

"Your two `o clock appointment is here." Relena mentally groaned, she wasn't feeling up to the meeting about the distressing report. However, ever being the steadfast diplomat and politician, she quickly tossed the pills back into the drawer and composed herself as well as possible.

"Send him in." Within moments her office door opened admitting a quiet man with ruffled blonde hair into the office. Relena rose smiling,

"Mr. Winner." Quatre offered her a small, if rebuking smile in return,

"We've known each for far too long for formalities, just call me Quatre."

"Quatre." She amended as he took a seat opposite of her desk.

"I take it you've had time to review the Preventer's report on Project Isis?" He asked glancing at the papers on her desk.

"Yes, I've been going over them for a while now."

"And....?"

"Quite frankly I'm uncertain on what future actions should be taken. If I present her case to the president then you can be sure it will leak to the press causing a mass hysteria. There's no telling how the public will react to the knowledge that genetically altered beings are being manufactured for possible military goals."

"We can't keep her hidden at the research facility forever. The Preventers are trying their best to locate Carrington's new laboratory but it's getting more and more obvious that someone very powerful is protecting him. Bringing the government's attention to this case will allow us to pool our resources and perhaps be able to find his supporters if not Carrington himself."

"I know you're right, but...." Relena paused to brush away a bead of sweat from her forehead. When did it get so warm in here?

"Miss Relena, are you all right? You look very pale."

"Yes, I'm fine; just fighting a cold."

"I wish this situation wasn't so dire so you could rest for a few days." His voice was heavy with sincerity and concern.

"It's no matter, I'll be just fine. At any rate, I would like to meet with Kyana and Dr. Silus before I come to any decision."

"Of course."

"Would it be all right if I met you at the research facility at three `o clock tomorrow?"

"That would be fine." Relena rose offering her hand,

"Thank you for your time, Quatre."

"Always a pleasure." He smiled taking her hand firmly in his. He frowned slightly, "Are you running a fever? Your hands are very warm." Relena smiled tiredly at him,

"You have enough to worry about with this case, my health should be the least of your concerns." Quatre's frown deepened but he released her hand and left sparing a worried glance before he disappeared out the door. Relena sighed leaning back into her chair thinking that perhaps she should go see a doctor. The cold had been getting progressively worse over the week and nothing she took seemed to help at all. Her eyes flickered to the report, almost against her will. No chance for luxuries until all of this is settled. I'll see the doctor after this mess is finished. She promised herself then returned to the flurry of paperwork that made up a large percentage of her work.

* * *

The longer she stayed in the facility the more restless Kyana became confined behind its walls. She had taken to hiding in the forest that bordered the facility. While that action pleased the workers who were uncomfortable with her inhuman appearance and behavior, it was a nightmare for those who needed her and had to protect her. Once Heero had slipped a tracking device onto her clothing while she received a cat-scan. Unfortunately, she discovered it rather quickly and destroyed it. After that, the only one who could ever find her Dr. Silus. However, on occasion, she would sometimes humor Quatre and answer his call.

Mercifully, she made her own way to the small lounge where she was to meet with the Vice-Foreign Minister minutes before Relena arrived. Sitting in with Kyana during the interview would be Dr. Silus, Heero, Quatre, Trowa, Duo, and Une. There was a palpable tension in the air brought by the knowledge that Relena's decision of how to approach the president with the case would drastically affect the course of the investigation. Kyana sat amidst the nervous energy with calm composure and a hint of amusement.

Relena entered with the graceful composure she was famous for smiling noncommittally at all present. Kyana stared at Relena for a moment, her nose scenting the air then abruptly glanced away as though she saw something she shouldn't have. Her normally sharp eyes softened greatly but she stood to greet Relena before any emotion could be distinguished.

"Miss Kyana, I'm Vice-Foreign Minister Dorilan. Thank you for meeting with me." For once, Kyana was pliant and quietly shook the minister's offered hand gently.

"Miss Dorilan, I'm Dr. Silus, Kyana's foster father." Silus stood and shook her hand as well. As they all resumed their seats, Relena's eyes briefly darted over all present assessing them.

"Dr. Silus, knowing Dr. Carrington as you did, what do you think he is trying to accomplish?"

"He wants to finish Project Isis; create a physically enhanced human being."

"How long would that take?"

"I don't know. My knowledge of genetics is no where near his. However, if he has been working non-stop during the last eleven years, I would say that he may be very close."

"Trowa, while you were on the inside, did you find anything to indicate how far along his research was?" Une asked.

"I managed to sneak into his private laboratory where he keeps his developing experiments. The life-forms within looked to be in their infant stages but I couldn't access any information about what they were."

"Assuming that Carrington has accomplished his goal, then what would he need Kyana for?" Heero countered.

"Most likely to finance his studies, just like before." Silus remarked bitterly.

"There are several groups associated with this project that otherwise would have nothing to do with each other. If he were to cater to all of them, he will need more than just Kyana to satisfy them."

"Then he may be attempting to clone her to hold them at bay until the final product is ready." Relena closed her eyes briefly as she began to feel slightly dizzy again.

"Then, in time, it is all together likely that we will see several specimens like Kyana rise up to fight in the different groups' struggles."

"That's a realistic probability." Une agreed.

"Kyana, we haven't heard your viewpoint on the subject. What do you think would be the best course of action?" Kyana, looking a little surprised, stared at Relena for a long moment.

"I think that the situation could be solved without the government being made aware of my existence if the Preventers are willing to take drastic measures."

"What measures would those be?"

"Destroying the laboratory and its occupants upon discovery."

"But that would mean destroying countless lives!" Quatre exclaimed. Kyana turned her piercing gaze to him, her relentless eyes telling him that she knew exactly the consequences of such a violent measure but all the same accepted them as necessary.

"I'm afraid that I couldn't condone that action." Relena replied firmly. "I believe that the only way that the Preventers can investigate the individual groups is with the government's assistance. It will be necessary to inform ESUN about the intricacies of Project Isis and of Kyana."

"Will I be allowed to return home after Carrington and his experiments have been dealt with?" Kyana's voice betrayed a hint of desperation.

"I don't know," Relena answered truthfully, "that is up to the president and it also depends on how all of this ends. There's no guarantee that you can ever go back." There was true sympathy and regret in her voice. Kyana looked sharply away, her jaws clenched in an effort to control the emotion on her face.

"May I speak to Kyana privately?" Relena asked without taking her eyes off of the crestfallen woman before her.

"Of course." Une replied. Everyone silently filed out room shutting the door behind them.

"Listen, I know how much you've been through and how hard it's been for you to be here away from your home amongst complete strangers that keep examining you. I really do wish I could let you go back; after all, none of this is your fault. However, I'm afraid I have to think of all the innocent people that will be killed if Carrington's genetic knowledge is used for violence. I can't allow for more innocent creatures to be created solely to be the slaves of their creators or to those they are sold to." Kyana looked sharply at Relena as if she had spoken aloud thoughts that had been plaguing Kyana for some time.

"When I was young and still living in the laboratory, they encouraged my bloodlust and attempted to desensitize my human emotions. If I had not been saved...I may well be a mindless killer. I would not wish that on anyone, to be a slave both mind and body is something I have tasted before. I truly sympathize with your plight, but I still do not see why my presence here is necessary. Carrington now has my DNA and is fully aware of all of my advancements. What possible use can I be of to anyone. It's too late for him to hope to sell me into slavery for I have a will of my own and am prepared to die to preserve my freedom. What is the use of my staying here?"

"It's what you know, what you can do that we need. You know best the strengths and weaknesses of your body, how your mind works. We'll desperately need that knowledge if we have to combat more of Carrington's creations."

"A gun will suffice." Kyana replied dryly.

"I doubt we'll ever see them in open combat and if we do they'll be heavily armed as well."

"Then why can't I go home after this crisis is resolved?"

"There's the risk that other people will try to get a hold of your DNA to pick up where Carrington left off. I have little doubt that the government would like to keep a very close eye on you."

"That would make an easy target of me, I could never bleed or be alone. I would never be found again if I were left to the rainforest."

"You've been caught before."

"I was arrogant then, never will I be again."

"I'm sorry, Kyana, in the interest of saving lives I have to bring this to the president. However, I'll work as hard as possible to try to get you back home as soon as possible. I promise."

"I trust your intentions." Kyana said after a short silence. "In my years among the Macanai and living by the harsh laws of nature I have learned to value life above all else. For that reason, I will do what I can for you. I only ask that you try to help me back home after everything is done. I won't be able to survive surrounded by society's morbid curiosity and the inevitable debates about what rights I deserve. I was never meant to live around humans." Relena nodded,

"Thank you for trusting me." Relena stood up, "I have to go to another meeting. If there is anything I can do to make this more comfortable for you or....or if you need to talk to someone, I'm always available." Kyana tilted her head studying the young minister with surprised amazement.

"I see now why so many flock to you. I offer the same assistance to you." She hesitated a moment as if contemplating her next words, "Have you been to the doctor lately?"

"I just had a physical last week. Why?"

"Perhaps you should go again."

"It's just a cold." Exasperation laced her tone.

"Are you sure?" Kyana continued to look up at Relena steadily.

"I had a flu shot at my physical, I'm probably just having a reaction to it." Kyana remained silent yet her stern gaze remained unyielding.

"What makes you think that this is more than the flu?"

"I come from a third world nation where medical aide is either unavailable or too expensive. The scent of sickness is one I know well."

"Miss Dorilan," an aide popped his head into the room, "we need to leave now or we'll be late for your next appointment."

"All right, thank you." Relena turned to Kyana, "I'll return after the president has reviewed the case to let you know what his decision is."

Kyana remained sitting in the empty room absorbed in silent contemplation long after Relena had gone. Frowning deeply she twisted a strand of hair between two fingers, a habit from her childhood that she had yet to rid herself of. "I should have told her." She murmured absently to herself. Kyana's reluctance to interfere with other people's lives warred against her human compassion. While she fervently hoped that her suspicions were wrong, she could not deny the signs and scent of the `coughing sickness' that had taken so many lives of those she knew.

________________________________________________________________ ________