Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Project Isis ❯ Discovery of a Beast ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

*standard disclaimer: gundam wing and its characters are not mine*

Project Isis

(Discovery of a Beast)

Was a soft click the final bomb was set in place. The man stood up, brushed back the ash-blonde strands of his hair and quietly walked away fingering the detonation device securely tucked away in the pocket of his white lab coat. Within a few minutes he arrived at a heavy, highly monitered and secured door. He swiped his I.D. badge and placed his hand on the computarized identification pad. A moment later the locking mechanism slid free with a beep. The man pushed the door open and entered the darkened room.

"Kitana." He whispered softly as he approached the blancketed hammock on which a small figure was nestled.

"Papa?" The young child whispered back scrubbing her eyes with the back of her hand.

"We need to go." He replied as he scooped her up into his arms and hastily exited the room.

"Where, and why?" She asked resting her head sleepily against his chest.

"I'll explain to you later. For now, just go back to sleep."

They left the large building out the back door to avoid the mass of people swarming in nervous confusion a safe distance from the front entrance. Precisely ten minutes after he had left the area the building exploded in a violent display that left the onlookers horrified and amazed.

* * *

11 years later....

A young man walked along the corridor with swift and precise steps. His emerald green eyes were trained firmly forward, melancholic and indifferent on their exterior. His brown hair covered almost half of his face adding to the almost mask-like quality that his face held; it revealed nothing. He slowed his steps as he approached the office door with etched lettering on a plaque proclaiming: "Dr. H.R. Carrington" He raised his hand to rap the frame a few times. After a pause a voice on the other side called him in.

The office was plain yet scattered. Papers and books of every description covered the desk and lined the bookshelves. Everywhere he looked there was evidence of exaugstive research. A man who looked to be in his late fifties turned away from his computer and stood up to greet his guest.

"Ah yes, you must be Mr. John Evers; the new security recruit. Your superviser informed me that you'd like to take the position of guarding subject 1085."

"Yes, that is correct." He replied in an expressionless tone.

"Do you mind telling me why? I've had a hell of a time trying to convince anyone to take over that job. I'm sure they've been filling you with horror stories, why aren't you intimidated?"

"The others aren't trained how to behave around animals of its nature, I am."

"Yes, I noticed your experience in your resumè." Carrington rifled through the large pile of paperwork on his desk. Some of his thinning, grey hair fell forward into his eyes but he ignored it being too preocupied with his task. "Ah, here we are." He exclaimed with triumph as he located the document. "Yes, yes; some experience traveling in a circus working with lions. I must say, this helps, but circus lions are vastly different that subject 1085. However, concidering that you do have an excellent record as a soldier for the former OZ organization, I'm going to give you a trial run at the job. Hopefully your skills as a soldier will help you to be alert. It may look like just a mindless creature, but it has much more intelligence that you would think. I want you to stay on guard, it was able to trick the last one and put him in the hospital for two weeks. Understood?"

"Yes, sir."

"Good. Here, then, is your schedule and a very brief dociay on 1085 to let you know what to expect. I'm afraid I can't give you any more information until I can be sure of your loyalty. What with the Preventors looking for us I have to be careful." Carrington handed him a folder and shook his hand. "Good luck." Evers nodded and then left the office to attend to his new duties.

John walked up to the heavy, iron door without any hesitation laden with a tray in his hand. Behind him, he could hear the shuffling steps of his fellow security officers. After the incident a few weeks ago, none of them wanted anything to do with the monster that resided behind that secure door. They were ordered to stay with him on his first round in the feeding process to make sure that everything went okay, but even now their steps started to grow a little distant as they followed reluctantly.

John shifted his hold on the tray to punch in the proper code to open the door. The massive barrier slid open with ease revealing a large square of darkness. The meager light that spilled in from the open door fell open a figure sitting up against the far wall. It was turned sideways so that he got a profile view of it. It was sitting up with its arms resting on its raised knees. A long, thin tail curved around the outer thigh to run parrallel with the legs. It completely ignored his presense, not even flicking one of its pointy, cat-like ears atop its head in his direction. John proceeded into the room with even steps pausing at a line drawn in chalk on the floor. The former care takers had nick named it the `last chance line' due to the fact that it marked how far the chains that bound 1085 would extend. The creature was collared by solid iron around its neck with matching manacles around its wrists and ankles. A six foot chain conected the manacles to the wall.

All this he noted immediately, but what caught his attention was not the strange appearance but the haggard condition it was in. He also noticed that It was not an it at all but a woman easily identified by the normal gender marks as seen in humans. Her golden fur was dirty and ruffled as was the naturally wavy hair that flowed out of her scalp and trailed down her back. It was braided and beaded in some places reminiscent of the tribes of people living in the rainforest even now in such a technological age. Her clothes followed suit being made of a thin fabric with faded colors. The cloth wrapped around her chest then moved up to crasp her neck in a single strap. Around her waist hung a skirt that had deep slits up the side to allow for maximum leg movement. Her exposed mid-section confirmed what he had read in his report. Her ribs stuck out from hunger, she had not eaten in days. The report surmised that they hadn't found a diet that she could eat, but what he read in her large, almound shaped eyes told him the truth. He saw in the pale green depths despair and pain. She didn't eat because her mental state had annihalated her appatite. He didn't see the monster everyone had been whispering to each other about, he saw a dismayed creature fearful for her future.

John confidently crossed the line, alert to any movement or shift of muscle, and gently set the tray filled with near-raw meat and a bottle of water on the floor next to her. Still she did not react. After a brief pause to examine her up close, he turned and left.

*

A man with silver streaked hair typed fervently at a computer. His mouth was set in a firm frown, his forehead wrinkled with concentration and worry. He stopped his actions once he had succeeded in his goal to hack into the main computer of the Preventers.

"I see," He murmered scanning the screen, "so you've finally caught on to him. Hmm, this could either help or hinder me. I could certaintly use their help to take Harold and his operation down, but if they find her this could be a potential disaster.......god only knows what they'll to do her." The man bit his lip as he continued to read, "I can't do this alone, but is it worth the cost?" His head dropped down into his hands with great fatigue, "Kitana."

*

For the second time John approached the secured door and opened it, this time alone. The feeble light showed her to be sleeping on her side, unconsciousness doing little to ease the pain evident in her features. The tray remained where he had left it, untouched. Most of the water had been drunk and the bottle had been replaced in the exact spot where it had originally sat. He cautiously walked up to her still form and kneeled before her. He tilted his head thoughtfully then reached out a hand to shake her. His hand had only crossed half the distance before her eyes snapped open and he found her hand gripping his wrist with surprising strength. In a flash she was sitting up-right and starring into his eyes exuding incredible danger. Her lips were slightly parted to reveal sharp fangs, her eyes borring into his. There was something about her eyes, no what was behind them, that was both fascinating and frightening at the same time. It seemed as though they could see right through him and saw everything that he was. It was that `clear eyed' look that other animals would give humans that was captivating in its impossibility. The stare that this creature engaged in was far more intense for he could see the intelligence behind those glimmering eyes.

John met her gaze steadily without a trace of fear. He made no move to pull his wrist free from her firm grip. Then, without even blinking, her eyes were no longer penetrating. She released his hand and rearanged herself sitting with her back against the wall. She drew up her knees to her chest, wrapping her arms around her legs, and rested her head on her knees. She continued to stare at him with something akin to curiosity in her eyes.

"You need to eat." He simply said to her gesturing towards the tray. Her eyes wandered over to the tray of food before returning back to him. "Death by starvation is a very bad way to die. Perhaps, if you hold on, something good will happen." She only continued to stare at him without any reaction to his words. Indeed, it was questionable whether or not she even understood him. She had not said a word ever since she was captured and brought there from the Brazilian rainforest a month ago. However, it was plain enough that she understood the intentions of those around her.

John stood up and made for the door. He paused in the doorframe and spoke without turning around, "You will need your strength in case an opportunity ever presents itself." He then left and shut the door behind himself.

She stared at the door carefully long after he had left. Finally, she stood slowly up and walked over to the tray. She sniffed at the meat and even tasted a small corner suspiciously. Satisfied with the results, she went on to eat the rest of the contents on the tray.

* * *

Une sat at her large desk going over a very lengthy report. Her haggard features suggested that she had had little sleep in the past few days. A soft knock on the door brought her out of her musing over the papers.

"Come in." She called. A young man looking to be in his early twenties entered the office.

"I just got your message. What is all of this about?"

"Have a seat, Zechs." She replied wearily. He sat down and starred at her intently,

"Why did you need to see me so urgently?"

"During your years in the Oz organization, did you ever hear of Project Isis?"

"Project Isis? You don't mean that genetic experimentation project that the old Earth Sphere Allience funded before the outbreak of war?"

"Yes."

"Why is that a concern? They were never successful in their endeavors."

"That's what we thought as well. However, since Dr. Carrington's sudden appearence and renewed activity, there are some rumors that he was in fact succussful. Intelligence recently discovered that he made a trip to the Brazilian rainforest where he purchased the best in tracking and trapping devices. He then shipped something out of the country and took it to his new labratory."

"But what does that have to do with evidence that the project was a success?"

"A week later, this man" Une handed him a survalience photograph of a middle-aged man with silver-streaked hair speaking with one of the Brazilian citizens, "showed up in Brazil and started asking around about Dr. Carrington trying to locate him. We have identified him to be Dr. Carrington's former partner in the project, Dr. Silus."

"That is interesting. I had thought that they had both died in the bomb explotion of their lab eleven years ago."

"Right now our main concern is what Carrington is up to now. His activity suggests he's picking up right where he left off."

"That shouldn't be a problem, we know where he is. We can just do a raid of his lab."

"That's the most logical thing to do, but I'm afraid logic has little to do with politics. The Preventers are being carefully monitered at all times to make sure we do not abuse our privilages and power and repeat history. Carrington has a lot of friends and only solid evidence would account for a raid."

"So then what are we going to do?"

"We have a lot of friends too. I've managed to contact someone who has had a great deal of experience in infilltration and spy work. He has kindly agreed to do us a favor and investigate the establishment. What worries me most is that even he was worried enough about Carrington's activity to volunteer his help."

"Someone outside of the Preventers?"

"Yes, you know him I believe."

"Who?"

"Trowa Barton." Zechs remained silent thinking on the new information. "He was hired a week ago as a security agent, Carrington has hired a lot of them. Trowa said he would contact us if he found any solid proof."

"So until then all we can do is wait?"

"Not exactly. I'd like to contact Dr. Silus and see if he would cooperate with us. He may be able to give us the information we need to prepare ourselves for what we are about to face. If he could verify that the project was a success and that there is the possiblity of Carrington repeating the results we could then engage in a raid."

"You want me to go find this guy?"

"Right, you and Noin. I've got Sally and Wufei monitoring the labratory for anything unusual and Heero is investigating some of Carrington's recent purchases. I've sent over a report on all we know about Dr. Silus to your office."

"I'll get right on it." Zechs replied standing. With a nod of dismisal from Lady Une he left.

* * *

"John, I just got word from Carrington. He wants you to transport 1085 to his work area for examination." The head security officer said handing him a tranquilizer gun and some handcuffs.

"Would it be alright if I didn't use the tranquilizer?" John asked, something sparking in his eyes but fading away before it could be identified. His superior stared at him as though he had just asked to use the tranquilzer on himself.

"She'll kill you in a heartbeat. That tranquilizer is for your safety, it's the only way we can transport her without causing any damage."

"Let me try without it. If something goes wrong, then I'll use it." The man ran a hand through his hair with a sigh,

"You are pretty good with her, I'll give you that. Alright, it's your call. However, I'm sending two people with you so if she gets out of hand we can stop her." John nodded in agreement. "Okay, go on and get her ready. The Doctor wants to see her as soon as possible." John took the offered items and silently exited the office.

By the time he had reached her prison John was acompanied by two other security officers.

"Stay here." He ordered, an order they were both happy to follow. He easily opened the door and entered. She was sitting with her back against the wall, her eyes were on him instantly and the light from the hall caused them to glow like the eyes of a demon. John pulled the handcuffs from his belt and held them up to her. "I've been instructed to take you to the labratory. I need to put these on you." Her eyes narrowed and he could see her muscles flexing underneath her skin. John took a few steps forward, "Please." His voice was soft and his eyes gentle. She looked up at him with such pain and pleading in her eyes. Her eyes told him she knew what awaited her and she was afraid of it. She pleaded with him to understand. He walked over to and kneeled before her. Her entire body tensed and she released a soft growl. "If you don't cooperate I will be forced to tranquilize you." She began to shift so that her legs were gathered underneath her preparing to stand. John pulled out the dart gun, "Don't." He warned. Her eyes went to the gun widening in comprehension. She let loose a louder growl and bared her fangs at him. John sighed and squeezed the trigger. The dart hit home in her arm causing her to snarl in pain and frustration. Ignoring the drugs that coursed through her blood she lunged for the him and slammed hard into his chest being too quick for even him to out manuever. John resisted his first impulse to release a second dart knowing how deadly tranquilizers were to animals. Instead, he focused on wearing her down until the drugs took effect since he couldn't over power her. Unfortunetly, he didn't have time for such a strategy because the other guards, seeing 1085 tackly him, sent out another dart which struck her shoulder. She stood up wavering, her eyes glazing over as she panted heavily. Without further preamble she collapsed heavily to the floor. John closed his eyes briefly before gently placing the handcuffs on her and collecting her into his arms.

"Go inform the Dr. that 1085 is on her way."

"Yes, Sir." The guard who shot the dart left swiftly down the hall. John stared down solomnly at the limp burden in his arms and felt a deep pity for the creature. He was beginning to realize that something would have to be done soon.

* * *

"Status report: There has been increased activity in the lab. New equipment has been delivered that looks to be for medical research and testing. Also, Trowa slipped us a message: `Isis is a succuss, immediate action recommended.'" Sally reported to the moniter infront of her. The woman on the screen frowned and nodded her head.

"I see, thank you Sally. We just got a report from Agent Wind yesterday. Silus approached him and told him the same thing and offered his assistance in taking Carrington down. They'll both arrive at the base in two days."

"So, are we going to take some action?"

"Yes, I'm due to meet with the President to discuss our findings and what the best course of action would be. After the Ellmen Conference declared gentetic mutations of that nature illigal he would be hardpressed to not take up immediate action, especially now that elections are coming up."

"I'll start to get everyone up here prepared for the raid."

"Good, but try to still keep a low profile in the process. We don't want to give him any time to prepart himself or escape."

"Yes, Ma'am." With that Sally saluted and ended the transmission. Une switched off her moniter and turned her attention to the young man seated across from her desk.

"Sorry about that interuption," she shuffled through the paperwork on her desk to pull out a lengthy report, "As you know we are greatly appreciative for your assistance on the Dorlian death threats case. Thanks to you we have the perportrator behind bars and MissDorlian can get back to work." The young man stared at her meditatively for a moment,

"I've been hearing a lot of rumors around here about this lab raid. If you are successful, what do you plan to do with the product of Project Isis?" Une sighed and masaged her temple wearily,

"I don't know yet. With such a senstive topic as this I'm afraid all we can do is try to deal with things as they come."

"What do you know about the product?"

"Nothing, that was the first we've heard from Trowa since he infiltrated the organization. Silus will be bringing with him all the information about it saying it would be too hard to try to explain things long distance." The man's Prussian eyes narrowed in thought as he tapped his finger on the arm rest.

"I'd like to participate in this project."

"Do you think it's that serious?"

"I don't know yet." Une nodded,

"Alright, it's your decision. Actually, I'm not surprised. Despite how much we are trying to keep this case a secret all kinds of people are showing up with an interest in being associated with it. Even Duo appeared out of nowhere to offer his assistance as an `delivery boy.' He's requested to be a part of the team that will take over the labratory." The man raised a dark brow but remained silent. Une glanced up at the clock then stood up, "I'm due for my meeting now. I'll have someone get you informed on the case as soon as possible." The man stood as well and nodded his assent. Deep worry passed over her features as Une began to cross the room to the door. She paused and half turned, "One question, Heero. Three out of four non-Preventor gundam pilots have shown up here wishing to be a part of this case which we have taken painstaking measures to keep a secret. Why?"

"It's the implications of the case that have us concerned. We found out because you're not the only one who is concerned with Carrington's efforts." He replied.

________________________________________________________________ ________

Different from my normal mushy genre of writing, isn't it? This chapter is like a test run to see how it goes over on GW fans. I know that original characters are a huge turn off but let me assure you she was created for the sole purpose of exploring the character's natures and beliefs (ie: don't worry about me trying to pair her up or anything or make her some huge hero). I will only post this story here and will continue it based on the reviews I get so please do tell me what you think.

Lady Eclipse