Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Rest for the Tortured Soul ❯ Born to Die ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Disclaimer: I don't own Jack!



Born to Die


As soon as we're born, we start to die. It's a fact of life.

Once there is a beginning there is bound to be an end. So after the first breath we draw, there will be a last.

I was wholly aware of this before I entered the war: the fact that I lived on the streets as a child taught me countless lessons. The main being how to survive the longest that you can, dependant on no one but yourself.

The only thing I know that lasts eternally is love, and even it can be so faint it seems dead.

I have accepted death. We're accomplices in crime. HELL! I fall in its shadow every time I enter my mobile suit and engage in battle. It's all around me, overwhelming me.

The universe is balanced with good and evil, life and death. Too much of one brings chaos and mayhem.

I have seen too much of one. Too much of death. Too much...

I used my smiles to hide the pain. Hide the sorrow. Hide the damage. . .

The damage that is caused by experiencing too much of one side of the grand scale that weighs our universe. I bear the marks of what no one should ever have. Thanks to peace the wounds are healing but... the scars won't disappear.

They will remain as a reminder of what too much of one thing can do, of what death, evil and war can do.

Behind my grin, I wore a frown. Behind the lighthearted laugh there was weeping. Buried beneath the twinkle in my eye glistened tears. But all this was before Hilde…before my wife.

Before the vows, I told her all I could give her was death since anyone who enters past my hearts protective borders winds up dead. She told me 'the only thing promised to us in the beginning is death' and that she would face death himself if it meant she could be with me.

But Heero's dead. Suicide. He was my friend… my best friend more likely. He didn't try to live...

Until someone finds the cure for death I'll keep on living; living the life that I have set out for myself, with decisions made in the past as my only guide to the future. I might as well be blindfolded…

But fate has been kind in the end. Maybe there is such thing as living happy ever after and there might be a rainbow at the end of the storm. After the night perhaps there is morning.

I look down at my wife, and smile.

Who can tell what is around the bend, or what the future holds hidden in the deep folds of its cloak. All I know for certain is that we are all destined to die.

Who can tell what is around the bend, or what the future holds. All I know for certain is that we are destined to die. So one can conclude that our purpose after we are given life is to lose it.

Born to die.