Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ reunions are bliss ❯ chapter 1 ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Reunions are bliss

(I don't own Gwing got it?! However I wish I did. This is my first serious fic so give me some tips kay?!)

It was a beautiful day on colony L-2. The sun was graciously giving its beaming rays of light to the ever grateful plants in the park.

Duo walked down the sun splattered road of his old town remembering his days as a small street urchin. He felt his chest twinge as he thought of his companion solo and how he used to stick up for her. Solo was about two years younger than he, she had green eyes, long waist-length brown hair, and a very slender stomached. Duo felt yet another pang in his chest at the memory of his innocent friend giving in to a terrible virus. She had looked so helpless, but she hung on as long as she could. Her last words still echoed through his mind in dreams. Don't forget me duo. I'll come back to you…

He shook his head trying to drown out what solo had told him with her last wasted breath. What had started out as a beautiful day was now a time for grief. Duo's chest was still twinging when he collided with a small boy.

"Ouch mister! That hurt!" the little boy called to duo. "Oh are you okay kid?" duo asked the boy. He noticed that the boy who had collided with him was holding a gold chain with a rather large diamond on it, however, he was wearing raggedy clothes that were ripped so bad the shirt looked like a toga. The boy could not be over the age of 10 and looked as though he hadn't eaten for days. "Hey where are your parents?" asked duo. "None of your business! Now let me by! I need to get back to the hide out!" the boy yelled.

Duo took the boy by the arm and pulled him up, "come on. I'll buy you something to eat and get you out of those rags."

"Do you mean it? Wow! Thanks mister!"

"You can call me duo. What's your name?"

"My name is kit… duo huh? That sounds familiar…"

Kit and duo went into a clothing store and bought kit a new set of shirts, shoes, sweaters, and pants. After getting the boy clothed, duo took him to a diner. He ordered food for the both of them and extra to go. "You know what? You're really nice. Exactly like our care taker. She's nice too." Said kit.

"I thought you said you didn't have anyone to take care of you."

"All us kids don't. There's a woman who kinda looks after us but she's on the streets too. And she doesn't have much money so we all gotta steal."

"I'd like to meet your care taker. Do you think I could see her?"

"Sure. I guess so."

After exiting the clothing store, Kit led duo down a series of abandoned alleys and street ways. It smelled strongly of ammonia, but kit didn't seem to mind. Finally they came to an old condemned building. Its walls must have been tall once and there were hints of stained glass between the rubble. Duo glanced across the broken down building and couldn't help feeling he'd been there before. Something in duo's mind clicked. Like flipping a switch. He had been there before! This was where the Maxwell church once stood.

Just one more thing to send duo's day into utter anguish. Now, memories of watching the only other two people, besides solo, die came racing back. Visions played on the inside of duo's head like a recurring dream. It was like being hit by a truck.

Kit shook duo's arm to get his attention. "Hello? Come on! The entrance is right over here."

Kit moved aside some rubble to reveal a wood hatch on the ground. He knocked on it 5 times, and then someone opened it. The hatch led to a long underground tunnel. Luckily the small girl, who had opened the hatch, had a torch.

Duo watched the walls reflect the light of the torch. It cast beams of light against the dug out dirt. Every now and then he noticed a spider scuttle across the wall, hurrying to its web.

"Kids live here?" asked duo in a shocked voice. "Not here stupid. There's another hatch to go still." Replied kit.

The tunnel continued about a mile down at a 4 degree slant. Finally they arrived at another hatch. It was made of wood that looked about 15 years old and the handle was completely rusted over. The girl who had not said a word opened that hatch too.

The room beyond was almost nice. The floor was still dirt but they had chairs, beds, and other furnishings. Few toys were scattered on the floor. Duo spotted a small raggedy doll missing an eye. Kit led duo through the hatch. Duo turned to the girl and said, "Well, thanks for your help kiddo."

The girl stared at him blankly a few seconds then closed the hatch without speaking. "What's her problem?" duo asked.

"It's nothing personal, she's a mute." Kit replied.

"Oooooo kit!! Your gonna be in so much trouble!! You're not supposed to bring strangers in!!" yelled another little boy in the room. "Hey! Shut up! Besides he's an exception." Said kit. The other little boy just stuck out his tounge.

Despite being a bit of a wreck, the room was rather homey. There were children's drawings on the walls, toys on the floor, and the fireplace in the corner of the room was turned on.

"Now you gotta be careful around our caretaker, she's sick. She's been sick since she can remember, so don't upset her okay?" said kit.

"sure." Duo replied.

Kit and duo walked down a long hallway that had doors on both side going all the way down. Duo assumed that they were children's' rooms except for the one at the far end that didn't have a name tag on it. The hall wasn't that long so duo quickly reached the other side. Kit knocked on the door very lightly and asked, "Um, can I come in?"

The question was followed by a series of bad coughing but whoever was inside finally got a grip and said it was okay.

Walking in, duo noticed that the room was rather small, with some drawings on the walls, probably from the kids. His gaze stopped at the bed where a woman was lying in. she had ridiculously long hair, about as long as duo's in fact, and green eyes.

"Kit who is that?" she asked in a small concerned voice.

"This guy helped me out on the street and said he wanted to meet you." Kit said in a calming voice. "I'm sorry. I just wanted to help you guys out. I used to be a street urchin." Duo said. "I've been one all my life, times don't change. Are you sure your not an under cover cop?" she asked skeptically before going into another coughing fit.

"Hey, are you okay?" duo asked with concern. "I'll be fine. I just need to rest…" she said before collapsing backwards into her bed. "Will she be okay? She needs to see a doctor right away!" duo said.

"Yeah, she does need to see a doctor. But do you really think we can afford it?" asked a kid from the doorway. She looked to be about 14 years old and she had deep blue eyes and blond hair. "She needs to get a certain type of medicine but without a prescription from the doctor we can't even ask for it. You're not making things better. Your just getting her worked up so leave now." Said the girl.

"I understand. But here, take this. It'll get a doctor visit and more than enough medicine." Duo said handing her a large some of money.

Eyeing him critically, she accepted the money and showed him out.

That night, the only thing duo could think of was those kids and their care taker. She seemed so familiar but he couldn't quite figure out who she was….

To be continued…

Authors note: well, there you have it. the first chapter. Tell me if I made any mistakes k? I would appreciate it a lot! Hoped you liked the story and review if you want. ^^ well toodles until next time!