Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Ritual ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]
He walks into the hangar, wearing that black, clingy flight suit that looks so good on him. My heart beat speeds up a little, as my eyes fasten on his slender figure and my thoughts kind of desert me. All I can do is admire him - he exudes such an aura of calm strength and tranquil assurance. And he is beautiful.
that, I don't mean physically - even though he *is* pretty damn hot, that's a fact. Heero Yuy has a beautiful soul. Of course, I'd rather be hanged than tell anyone this... Its true, nevertheless.
tend to see him as gruff, unyielding and uncaring. He's the kind of guy capable of snapping a man's neck in a heart beat and bending steel, all with his bare hands. Without the slightest regret, too. But I know the gentleness he hides. I know that he can be as vulnerable and as lost as a 15 year old kid stranded in a war can be, no matter how extensively he's been trained to face such a situation.
was just after a mission. I was feeling pretty wiped out and had fallen asleep on some flimsy mattress thrown on the floor, in some filthy dust-hole of a room. I'd woken up to find Heero sitting across me, legs folded, semi-automatic in one hand and a cloth before him. The room was dark, except for the red neon lights flashing outside our window, splashing over Heero's face at regular intervals. I didn't move, and continued watching him between half-lowered eye lids.
disassembled the gun, unexpectedly nimble fingers brushing against steel as he pulled, unscrewed and set parts aside. He picked up each piece, softly curling his fingers around them, while the other hand, holding a grease-imbibed cloth, carefully and thoroughly wiped them clean. His touch was light, caressing, instead of clinical and coldly efficient, as I thought it would be.
eyes were lost in the vague, an almost soft look in them and his features weren't as tense as usual. When he finished cleaning the last part, he put it on the floor before him, perfectly in line with the other now clean parts, smoothed his fingers over them and paused. Then he picked them up, one by one and swiftly reassembled the gun. He crawled to his own flimsy mattress and slipped the weapon under his pillow before crossing legs once more. But instead of sitting up straight, back tense, he hunched his shoulders with a soft sigh, dropped his elbows on his knees, and his chin in his hands.
blinked. Heero looked so... damn young like that. His face was completely relaxed now, cheeks in his palms, head slightly tilted. He looked like a scruffy little boy. And the contrast between the image before me and both our realities made my heart go out to him something fierce. I realized that he wasn't perfect. He wasn't all-knowing. He was just a young boy trying to find his way in a world with no directions and hardly any references.
raise my head to look at Heero, who's now holding his helmet. He kicks off the floor and floats in direction of his Gundam's hatch. My blood freezes in my veins. I know its time for him to go.
to fight, Heero?" I ask. He grabs a cable to stop his course and turns to look at me. Slight nod.
kick off the floor and float to where he is, except instead of holding onto the cable, I hold onto him.
heart is pounding in my chest, my mouth is dry and I know my eyes are wide. I unwittingly tighten my grip on his arm.
take care, okay, buddy? I'd *really* like to see you come back in one piece, yanno..."
looks me in the eyes, without saying a word, and nods briefly. But still, I can't let him go yet.
Heero. Please remember that your life isn't cheap. There are people who would hurt if... you know. Something happened to you." I feel like a moron, but I still need to get it out. I want him to know that there are people who care about him. That *I* care about him. "So, don't... Don't try to pull any of those stunts of yours. Okay?"
continues staring at me. Then he turns slightly and says softly "Wait here."
kicks off towards his Gundam, and I can't see him anymore. I wait there, hanging on the cable.
floats back towards me, and grabs my arm, pulling himself closer to me. His hand slides down, his fingers curl around my wrist and turns my hand, palm upwards. He drops a bunch of metal sticks in it.
heart is in my throat, as I recognize the sticks to be detonator caps. Without them, a Gundam's self-detonating system is ineffective.

come back. If I can help it." He leans closer to me, until his breath tickles my ear. "I have something to live for, now." His hand covers mine, closes my fingers over the detonator caps. He squeezes gently, and I feel his lips ghost over my cheek. Then he's gone.
I let myself drift downwards, a feeling that had been long alien to me slowly blossoms in my chest.