Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Road Not Taken ❯ Part VII ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ROAD NOT TAKEN


Disclaimer: Gundam Wing, I don't own it!


~*~*~

Milliardo disconnected the phone and simply stared at the two individuals; he feared terribly for one while he would gladly annihilate in slow, unbearable torture to the other. He was infuriated with Yuy due to the undeniable evidence seen before him. Both men maintained eye contact with each other when Heero gently settled Relena on the rug as he stood his ground, almost matching Milliardo's height. Regrettably he raised both arms in the air and announced, "This isn't what it looks like, Zechs."

"Shut up!" He retorted, raising a gun in front him and restraining Heero on the spot. "You have caused enough damage for one night Yuy. If anything happens to Relena I'll...."

"She's fine." Heero interrupted with a semi-annoyed tone. "I did nothing to her."

Seconds later, Wufei, Duo, the police, security members, and other various men from Preventers' appeared on the scene. They gaped in utter disbelief. From what once was a quiet, tranquil hall, became a chaotic war zone where investigators gathered together clues and traces of solid evidence, and two paramedics tended to Relena. One brought in a stretcher and delicately lifted her frail body onto the cotton matting. Doing the routine inspection for physical wounds and critical injuries, they found none and one commented to Milliardo, "No serious injuries, sir. Possibly a minor concussion."

From the moment the newcomers entered the scene, the two former soldiers never left their eyes away from the other. It seemed as if no one else existed aside from their abhorrence and loathsome emotion toward one another.

The room grew quiet. Milliardo broke the silence, "And the blood on her?"

"It's not hers." Duo thought aloud suddenly, giving Heero a slight nod. He knew that the perfect soldier had prevented something severe from occurring, but he couldn't prove it. Heero was not at fault here.

"Yes, that's correct." Confirmed a paramedic. "How did you know that?" He asked curiously, turning his attention to Duo.

"Enough with this useless conversation. Send Relena to the hospital for a detailed examination." Milliardo demanded from the paramedics, never wavering his weapon from Heero's chest. "Wufei, I want you to find Sanchez to accompany Relena to the hospital."

Wufei turned to Heero, which forced Yuy to break his eyes away from Milliardo. An inaudible message passed between the Gundam pilots. Wufei answered to his superior, "I believe I should also accompany Ms. Darlian with Sanchez for further protection."

He nodded in compliance then answered, "I do not want anyone else getting near her again."

"What about him?" Duo questioned, tilting his head to Heero's direction. "We would probably need his help in finding Relena's assailant."

Before he replied to Duo's comment, he grunted. 'I want you men to hold Heero Yuy in custody until further notice." Milliardo commanded, turning to the security men by the doorway.

Confusion erupted on Duo's appearance. "What are you talking about? Heero saved her!"

"He was the one who attacked Relena, Maxwell. I suggest you keep your mouth shut!" He retorted angrily. The men pulled Heero out of the room with ease for he didn't put up any sign of a struggle. Heero went willingly with them, maintaining his famous monotonic visage.


~*~*~

Several hours after being transported to the McColloney Hospital, the doctors found nothing serious with Relena's condition: A mild concussion that will heal in due time and an over-stressed mental state that could be rehabilitated with enough rest. When she was knocked onto the floor hours before, her head must have come in contact to the ground, which caused her current unconscious state. The nurses removed her stained sleepwear and cleaned the blood from her body, then dressed her in one of the pale hospital robes as soon as the medical examination was completed. Relena remained comatose from the moment she was carted into the hospital, to the moment when the nurses placed her in the bed, which she would remain for the next few days. Wufei sat on a stool by the bed after instructing Sanchez to remain posted outside her room. Relena's bodyguard didn't take too lightly with Wufei's directions but he followed them nonetheless.

Milliardo came to visit Relena when things were predominantly cleared up in the mansion. The bloodstains in the hall were scrubbed clean. Preventers' investigators laid out every bit of evidence left behind in search of answers, which were not many aside from the DNA sample collected from the blood. Heero remained locked in the most secure room at HQ. He walked into her room, nodded to Wufei, and sat on the bed, reaching for her hand. Wufei spontaneously left his post, giving the two siblings a little privacy.

"Relena, it's me." He whispered softly.

Her eyes twitched a couple of times before she slowly opened them to greet her brother. "Milliardo.." she said weakly, smiling.

Finally, she was awake. The doctors were worried that if she didn't show any sign of improvement, it could lead to a serious case of head trauma. "How are you feeling little sister?"

"I have a splitting headache, here in my right temporal lobe." She admitted, pointing to the area on her brain.

He chuckled and said, "I'm afraid we had to postpone the embassy ball on your behalf. I'm sure you're not too disappointed."

"On the contrary. I was looking forward to the twenty or so dozen dances I would be obligated to perform with the old men of politics. Guess I'll have to wait." She exclaimed sarcastically.

They became silent and Relena turned her head to gaze out the only window of the room. Sunlight shimmered on the artificial lake where ducks of various species lingered around the rich scenery. Judging by the arch of the sun in the sky, it was midmorning and what a glorious morning it was. How she longed to return home and out of the blasted hospital gowns.

"Someone saved me, Milliardo." She confessed softly as she continued to watch the ducks splashing amid the crystal clear water surface. "There was someone else there aside from the one who attacked me." She said, turning her head back to face her brother.

"It could have been Victor." Zechs shrugged, not even thinking much on the issue. In fact, he hadn't thought very much of anything at all since the incident. He had been so wrapped up in Relena's welfare and devising a way to destroy Heero that he never attempted to piece together what exactly happened on that night.

"No, I don't think so. It was.." Relena began.

"Relena, we have Heero in custody." He interjected before she could finish her thoughts.

Relena waited a few seconds, processing everything that he said. Then, she responded, "Why? Is he in some sort of trouble?"

"He tried to kill you, Relena." He alleged slowly, enunciating ever syllable.

"No! It.. it can't be," Relena stuttered. She recalled the darkness and the shadows. The man who restrained her couldn't have been Heero. It was all wrong and she couldn't fit the images in her mind chronologically. Everything was a blur.

"He still hungers for the thrill of the battlefield. It's simple really. You're standing in his way." He explained regrettably, noticing her confusion.

Relena shook her head violently. "I won't believe it. I can't!" Relena cried, tears taking form under her soft eyelids.

"Relena!" He shouted at her. "The only thing that concerns all of us is your well-being."

"Milliardo, please..." She whispered, tears now free-falling down her tender cheeks.

"There was blood on him. However, I still can't figure out who's blood it was if it wasn't yours or his. He seemed perfectly fine." He claimed, not so sure about anything anymore.

"Blood?" Relena said, then seized to think further on the subject. The headache returned despite Relena's attempts to push it down. She wanted to remember what happened and she needed to know why Heero was caught in this personal matter. Zechs could see Relena's discomfort and motioned for her to lie back down.

"Don't worry about this for now. All can be explained to you once you've healed." He concluded as he stood up, ready to leave. Before walking out the door, he said with a pained expression, "Relena, listen. I've witnessed the deaths of our mother, father, our entire kingdom. You're the only one I've got and I ... "

"... and you won't lose me." Relena finished for him, but she, too, was uncertain of the outcome.

TBC...