Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Rose ❯ Rose ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: Rose
Author: Kendra
Pairing: reference to 13x11
Rating: R
Warnings: Treize POV, Angst, subject matter
Disclaimer: I don't own this song or GW.
Notes: Beck has wanted to do this songfic for a while and after listening to this song, I gave it a go. I hope you aren't angry Beck. Set before the series.

Rose by A Perfect Circle

//Don't disturb
The beast
The temperamental goat
The snail while he's feeding on
The Rose
Stay frozen, compromising
What I will
I am//

It is a sunny day; the sky is blue, the sun is out in full force and spring is blooming. Spring is a time of change, a time of new beginnings. Spring is the delicate season between the cold of the winter and the fiery heat of the summer. In the beginning, the cold tentacles of winter can still be felt and at the end, the fierceness of summer is felt. While fall is the season of death, spring is the season of birth.

Most people, even my Une would laugh at my thoughts. I’m too much of a dreamer, a thinker. Some would say that I am not serious enough. I know those who look at Lieutenant Zechs and say that he would be more suited to my job than me. I’m not good enough for majority of people.

//Bend around
The wind silently
thrown about
Again I'm treading so
Soft and lightly
Compromising my will
I am//

I am considered the perfect gentleman to my contemporaries in the Romefeller Foundation. To the Alliance, I am just a pretty boy, nothing more than a pampered aristocrat who plays at war with the Specials. Both believe that I would never get my hands dirty with the sad business of war. I have heard the whispers that I was made commander of the Specials just because of the sad affair of my uncle, General Catalonia’s death. Even Dermail himself thought I was the wrong candidate when he recommended me for the position.
I’m used to such criticism; I am only 23 years old, the youngest such commander ever. Even though I was once the top cadet ever to come out of Victoria, I am in all ways the personification of what a gentleman should be. Like a rose I guess; the rose is the queen of flowers. She is perfect no matter what color; red, pink, white, yellow. Her petals are soft and her perfume is rich yet delicate. She has tantalized us humans ever since we discovered her.

//I am
I will
So no longer
Will I
Lay down
Play dead
Play your doe
in the headlights locked down
and terrified//

However, possessing the rose brings a penalty. The rose has thorns that draw blood that punish those who take it from its natural home. To possess the rose, to possess the most beautiful flower, someone has to pay a price. I pick up one of the roses in a vase on my desk. It is a deep vibrant red like the highlights of Anne’s hair; dark and beautiful with thorns all along the stem. One of them pricked me and there is a drop of blood on my pinky finger. Sucking on my finger, I can’t help but compare myself to the rose.

Like the rose, I am on the outside perfect. I know that I am handsome; my looks have helped me from fooling my enemies to gaining my right hand woman. I know what to say and when to say it. I am pleasant to be around and many a woman would love to say that they captured the elusive Treize Khrushenada. I am desired by many yet I am truly known by few.

//Your deer in the headlights
shot down and horrified when
Push comes to pull comes to shove
Comes to step around this
Self-destructing dance that never
would've ended till I
Rose
I roared aloud here
I will
I am//

Unlike the rose, I do not have thorns for all to see. I am seen as useless; I know the plans that Romefeller has; as a promise to my father, I promised that I would help Romefeller to reach the spot where it belongs. I also know that when my part of the mission is done, Romefeller probably plans to be rid of me. I have my spies; there are those who see Zechs and know his past and know that he would probably be the figurehead that Romefeller needs. However, I will not be so easily managed.

The Alliance has been a tool of destruction on the Earth and in the Colonies. I have seen with my own eyes the atrocities that the Alliance has perpetuated on the people it says that it is here to protect. I know that the evil that Romefeller would be if they have their way; they already rule the world through the Alliance but these megalomaniac men wish that everyone knows that it is them who have ruined the world.

Clouds have obscured the sun, promising rain. The rose snaps in my fingers. Unlike the rose, I am not so delicate. The world will know in due time.

//I am
I will
So no longer
Will I
Lay down
Lay dead
Play this
Kneel down
Gun-shy Martyr
Pitiful
I rose, I roared
I will
I am//