Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Sandrock was no more ❯ chapter two ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+ *+*+

Chapter two

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+ *+*+

"You know, we were thinking …" Duo began in uncharacteristic seriousness as they all sat around the table of their favorite diner.

"It might be time to sort through Quatre's belongings." Hiiro finished.

Trowa's head whipped up, "NO!" he venomously declined with more emotion he's shown since Quatre's funeral, "No!"

"He's gone. There's no point in keeping his room a shrine for him, and beside, there's no way for you to move on until you let him rest in peace."

"You're one to talk!" Trowa glared at Wu Fei, "Or is `Nataku' a name you pulled out of a hat?"

"SHUT UP BASTARD!!!" Wu Fei jumped to his feet and slammed the table, drawing the attention of several other diners. "DON'T SPEAK OF THINGS YOU KNOW NOTHING OF!!"

"Sit down Wu Fei." Hiiro's cold tone ordered. With a snarl the Chinese boy complied.

"We worry about you, Trowa." Duo said quietly, "It's almost been a year; I don't think Quatre would want you to be like this."

"He'd want you to be happy." Hiiro agreed.

"Quatre's things stay put." Trowa said slowly, emphasizing each word with malice.

"But Trowa…" Duo started before Hiiro cut him off. The braided one looked at the other quizzically as Hiiro slowly shook his head. Duo then became really interested in the neglected soda in front of him.

"Alright, Trowa," Hiiro relented, "we'll wait a little longer."

"Oh, you're too kind." The banged one spat, rising from the table, "I'm outta here."

"Trowa! Wait!" Duo called after him.

"Leave him be." Hiiro said drinking from his coffee. "Wu Fei, follow him."

"What! Why me?" Wu Fei all but pouted.

"Because, I must speak with Duo, and Trowa needs to be looked after." Hiiro's face left no room for argument.

"Fine." The Chinese boy grumbled also leaving.

Duo silently sipped his soda while he waited for Hiiro to speak again.

"We need to call Catherine." He finally said after several minutes of silence.

Duo spat out what was in his mouth, mid-swallow, causing him to gag, "NANI!!"

Hiiro watched him mildly amused. A small smirk entered his normally stoic mask.

"But, Hiiro! Trowa said that he never wanted to see, `That Bitch' for as long as he lived!" Duo sputtered still trying to recover from choking.

"Breathing and living are two different things." Hiiro said matter-of-factly while staring at his drink. "Trowa died the same instant as Quatre. His body just hasn't acknowledged it yet."

"Hiiro…"

"Someone needs to smack some sense into him. He was suicidal once after the first time I blew up Wing Gundam. She got pissed ant literally knocked sense into him." He looked at the braided boy sternly, "If anyone can pull this off it's her."

"Hiiro…" Duo paused, rethinking what he wanted to say.

"What, Duo?"

"Nandemoni," The braided one stood up and threw out the rest of his soda. His violet eyes lacking his usual mirth, and he sighed depressingly. "It's nothing." He repeated as he headed for the door.

"Duo?" Hiiro's tone stopped the boy.

"It's nothing, forget I said anything." And in a poor attempt to prove it, the American plastered one of his trademark grins on his face and threw his arms behind his head. "If we're going to find her, we should get going."

+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+ *+*+

Mathew sat at the kitchen table waiting for the teapot to whistle. In front of him was a thick book. The young blonde ran his delicate fingers across the brail words.

`Robin should be home from the hospital soon.' He thought to himself.

He smiled as he thought about her. He found himself waking up in the morning wanting to hear her gentle voice and cheerful laughter.

/Jade eyes…/

Mathew groaned as the image flashed through his mind.

/Those eyes…/

He often remembered those eyes when he thought about Robin. But he could never remember the entire face.

/Those eyes that were so full of hurt and sadness…/

He usually felt a sense of guilt along with those eyes. This time was no different.

Mathew gripped the sides of his head as a headache began to arise. `Those eyes… Why can't I remember?'

"I'm home, Mathew." Robin called from the doorway.

"Robin…" He called, hunched over his book in pain.

"MATHEW!! What is it!?!" She cried dropping her purse and keys and running to his side. She took hold of his shoulders and made him face her, "Mathew, talk to me!"

"I just can't remember… It feels so close… Those eyes…"

Robin sighed and drew him close, in a tender embrace, "It's almost been a year, Mathew." She whispered stroking the back of his head as he wept against her, "Give it more time."

The kettle whistled.

"Here, why don't I get the tea and you can get the cups, okay?" She suggested, wiping away his tears.

Mathew nodded and stood, his arms held out in front of him slightly. He didn't use his cane much around the apartment anymore. Slowly and surely, he made it to the cupboard without incident. Robin smiled at him as she prepared the tea.