Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Shadows Of Reality ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

It was the very end of dusk before Duo Maxwell decided, after coming to a suitable clearing in the woods, to give the day a rest. A piece off there was the merest whisper of a bubbling brook; the only question was would the water be safe? It wasn't so much a real concern here, but in the two kingdoms where magick was most prevalent, Greenleaf and Valhalla, one had to always be careful.

Duo lifted his head and sniffed the air briefly, then glanced backward to his hired guide. "Have you any objections?" Heero gave a shake of his head; having had it in mind to suggest the spot if the boy had chosen to continue. Inquisitive violet eyes scanned the surrounding area before choosing the flat ground in front of several large boulders. The wind had taken on a noticeable chill by now and Heero knew that later tonight the air would have cooled considerably, and so saw the boulders as adequate protection against the biting air.

"If I do say so myself," Duo remarked, having sat on the ground and now rifling through his bag. "It's very fortunate to find a place such as this. Of course, this can't beat a decent nights rest in a bed, but it will do."

Heero nodded, standing several paces back away from the boy, who had stood, his movements all fluid grace and liquid motion. He walked purposefully through the woods toward the sound of the creek and when Heero came upon him found him kneeling on the bank edge.

His hands came together as a bowl and dipped into the torpidly moving water, and then he lifted his hands back up so that he could drink of the shimmering liquid trapped by his fingers. Heero never took chances with water in these parts and usually carried with him a small deerskin that held a powder he had picked up for a good deal of rubits and a couple squites. One pinch of the powder into a bowl or cup of standing water and given five minutes, the water would be safe to drink. It was hard for the hunter to understand how someone who would seem to appreciate the dangers presented most appeared oblivious and careless to them. He chose to say nothing on that, though, and instead said, "Can I ask what destination you are trying to reach and why?"

"You can ask," Duo told him, standing and brushing the damp earth from his knees. "But I won't tell you either. It's not the time, when it is the time you'll be told. Drink and come back to camp, we need to think of other things."

After Duo's lithe form had vanished between the trees like a wraith, the hair that had come loose it's binding stirring with the slightest movement or breeze against his lean shoulders in dark waves, Heero eyed the water suspiciously. Vetoing that he decided to follow the other back. He had quickly come to the conclusion that there was something wholly different and remarkable about the young man, even though he wouldn't even try to pinpoint what that would be. He'd known him too little a time and under such tense emotions already. A mistake he was willing to admit on his part.

Upon entering the camp it was to be found Duo clearing away sticks and leaves from a small area of ground, Heero recognized that in hopes of making a fire. Judging by the dampened condition of the surrounding area, most likely from river floods past, open flames would not prove an easy venture. Heero stated as much. "I don't think it's the right conditions for fire."

"I'm sorry you feel that way," Duo answered back, dropping the cloak he had pulled on hours before over his bag. "Would you mind if I bring up a fire?"

Heero shook his head, leaning against a tree to watch how Duo meant to do that. The question asked came back to him, the oddity in the very wording, just as Duo lifted his hand out toward the destined place… Light blue flames sparked from the spot and within seconds a fire had erupted, floating inches above the grass and fixing there.

Immediately feeling the fool Heero wondered if his extended periods of time in the Earthian Realm had hurt his instincts. Normally, before his long absence to live and fight on Earth, he would have asked himself what weapons the other was carrying, what is there in ways of physical and combative capability and what magick might they work? Now, the last question hadn't even been considered, when it should have been in the forefront of his mind upon seeing the elfin appearance and the signs of his heritage.

"Can I…Can I have a moment for myself?" Duo asked softly, not looking up from where he was seated next to the fire, his voice breaking into Heero's drifting thoughts.

"Hn." Heero settled himself so he could see the boy across the flickering flames, feeling the heat of the magickal fire stir through him slowly. The smell of the earth around him, the feel of the clean air on his skin, the taste of nature, all things he missed when spending time on Earth, even more so when on the colonies. And here there was stillness, which one could never have on Earth. There was no static of the ever-present technology, no whine of electricity, whir of the air conditioner, grind of mechanics, only the world around, its nature, the bubbling of the creek, the crackle of fire, and his companions deep, even breathing.

Heero opened his eyes. "I'll catch some fish."

Duo gestured toward the fire and Heero took the cue and picked up a stick, then found his way back to the stream in the slowly dying light above. His return was in short time, with several fish, to find Duo still in his meditative state at the fire's side, having not for all Heero could see moved at all. Preparing the fish Heero took the chance to really study his employer with the other unawares. The lashes were dark and rested lightly against his cheeks; his fair framed his face and covered the ears, masking the most noticeable difference. Now loosened completely, but still wrapped in a tight braid, it proved longer than Heero had initially thought, perhaps down to the thighs. Even with all the masking undertaken, it was there in his delicate frame, his agile movements, and the beauty of his features. This was someone who could not escape his ancestry.

Heero on the other hand…there was nothing really that told of his birthplace, no telltale feature or gesture, no accent lapping teasingly along the edges of his speech, only his name. Perhaps his skills would be testament of where he hailed from, the mostly warrior-like Empire of Scarlet Blade. There the surrounding forest and other feats of nature were not seen for what they were, as by the neighboring kingdom of Greenleaf, but as tools for training and survival. The way one has always lived the way it would always be.

"Do you want to burn the fish?" Duo asked lightly, breaking into Heero's silent contemplation, and the cobalt blue eyes darted downward to where the fish had begun to take on a well-done appearance. A smile tugged at the corners of the mouth as he took the fish off the spit and settled it to cool.

"I want to be in Dragoon by two days time," Duo said from the stillness. "Can you do that, Hunter?"

"It's possible," Heero answered noncommittally, picking up one of the fish and taking a bite into the food. Duo tore lightly into the edges of his meal, seemingly untrustingly, and chewed thoughtfully, watching Heero with his beguiling violet eyes.

"I surprised you with the fire, why?"

Heero hadn't thought the boy had seen his surprise, but apparently he had and was calling him on it. "I had not expected that. I am aware that your heredity offers you more in the way of metaphysical ability, but I had not been aware that one so young could call up fire as easily as you had."

"I'm no younger than you yourself."

They ate in silence after that, Heero watching Duo as he moved and retrieved his bag, began to look in it for something. To Heero's growing interest the boy pulled a tightly wrapped blanket from within the small bag, and Heero realized the bag had to be enchanted. So far this day he had seen the cloak come from it's depths, several flasks of water which would need to be refilled in the morning, a pouch of nuts, berries, and dried fruits, the map that he had been studying on the trail when Heero had moved from the tree, and now the blanket. And as the boy loosened the tie on the blankets Heero saw that it was really two.

"I suppose it's going to be a long night," Duo said softly, slowly making sure the flap had been secured with his nimble and slender fingers. With that done he moved the pouch a bit away and tossed one of the blankets to the side. "Yours."

Getting up Duo shook out the blanket and settled it down on the hard ground. Spread out Heero could see that it wasn't anything fancy, something warm and thick and perhaps even soft. Duo settled himself down on the blanket and removed a green vest Heero had realized he had been wearing only after they had started on the slow, silent walk down the trail, for it had blended with the shirt as it was designed to do. Now on reflection he decided that this too might have some sort of magickal enchantment to it as well. He wasn't surprised that it would, having seen the multitude of small pockets woven into the fabric inside.

Folding that it went into the satchel that Duo had reopened then closed again. "There won't be any need to worry about the fire, but I'm sure you realized that…" Duo faltered when he felt warm hands on his shoulders. His eyes darted up and Heero was not sitting wavering in between the flames as he had been for some time, but behind him, moving closer, until Duo could pick up the faint beating of the others heart.

His own pounded in answer, threatening to break through the ribcage that imprisoned it in the body and thundering in his own sensitive ears. Surely the hunter would be able to hear the pounding, Duo thought, tensing as he felt the warm breath against his cheek.

"Is all done for the night?" Heero asked softly.

Duo tallied up all they would need to do before retiring for the night, and nothing was in need of being done, so gave a truthful nod even though it was the last thing he wanted. Even moments after the deal had been made Duo had found he was regretting the rash moment said aloud the one thing he had thought would keep the boy's attention. Unfortunately it was the thing that made him say yes, so Duo could not find a way through it, and since he had given his word it would keep.

There was the softest touch to Duo's face, the press of lips, something he was familiar with as it was a friendly greeting. It did nothing to make this situation any more benevolent. The touch moved downward and the mouth settled over his moments before his balance was swept out from under him and his back pressed against the blanket.

For the first time in his life the boy who was calling himself Duo Maxwell felt another's body pressing into his, a soon-to-be lover's hungry mouth coaxing closed lips open, and someone's hands moving slowly up his arms and to the shoulders. Panic set in and with the utmost amount of control the boy kept his body rigid, tense, lest he lash out to remove the perceived threat. Callused thumbs stroked the cheeks that were as soft as they looked, trying to urge the lips to part, even if in the slightest.

Brows furrowed Heero let his eyes open and looked up at the other's face, saw the eyes were shut fast, the lashes seeming to glisten in the faint, flickering firelight with unshed tears, the jaw was clenched and every muscle in the face taunt. It was likewise for the body.

Resting himself so his folded arms were on the boy's chest he looked up at the face until he saw it change to one of puzzlement and the lashes lifted just enough for Heero to see the violet curtained behind them. "You know," Heero remarked casually. "On Earth, if someone was as tense as you are right now, and as clearly unwilling, if I had continued it would be considered rape."

Duo's brow furrowed. "And I really don't want to look back and see although you gave your word earlier in the day, when it came down to it nothing was made good on it because I refused to stoop to such a heinous act because of your actions."

Heero certainly didn't expect the immediate reaction he received. The boy's eyes widened further, reflecting in their endless depths a deep shame and uncertainty, the heavy weight of having violated a contract, and a defeated resignation. The body beneath his relaxed slowly and the eyes closed again. "If I'm not tense, then I'm not fighting, and you won't have to feel like your taking something against its will," he whispered.

This did nothing to ease the pang of sorrow that had struck at the blow of using someone's honor against them and quite halfheartedly the hunter pressed a kiss to the jawbone, down to the chin, fingers fiddling with the top button on the shirt. He couldn't bring himself to do it.

Standing up abruptly Heero moved toward the blanket which had been tossed to the side for him, only to feel slender, fragile hands wrap around his shin and glanced downward to see the boy had rolled over onto his stomach and now held onto Heero for all he was worth. This time his eyes were wide with fear.

"No, I'm sorry, but you can't go. I need your help, why else would I offer what I have? You can't abandon me now."

What was he not being told, Heero wondered, and the thought that it might be even more than he could have ever first imagined made his heart flutter. Pivoting he dropped down to kneel next to the boy, who was now on his knees, and took a firm hold on the shoulders.

"Why? I see why you spoke how you did, although it's obvious the mere thought terrifies you, but you feel you need me, because you know I'm the best at what I do. Granted, we will pass through territory where your kind, the elfin ancestors, are not welcome, but for the right price anyone would both protect you or leave you alone. You obviously have money enough, so what else is it? Why promise me something when even the thought makes you shudder? What could be so damn important?"

Silence, and then… "Please, just trust me," the boy whispered. "Trust me and protect me with your life and when you understand, if you don't think it was worth the effort, then I'll be your slave for the rest of my life."

Heero thought on this, studying the earnest face and wide, pleading eyes, and his Prussian narrowed slightly. "Is that an oath?"

Duo delayed a moment, then dropped his eyes and nodded.

Heero pulled back and stood. "Then I will come with you. I release you from our previous agreement on the last term, considering how you seem so loath to carry it out, but everything else remains the same and I bind you to your oath."

"And I accept the binding," Duo whispered.

Heero threw out his blanket and settled down, using his arms to pillow his head, and closed his eyes.

An honest man's word is more powerful than the strongest pact in the Forgotten Realm, and Duo could imagine the invisible chains of bondage around him, cold and oppressing, no sooner than the oath and acceptance of the binding had been spoken aloud.