Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Shroud of the Future ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Disclaimer: Nope…not the owner. Mariemaia is so cute though! I had to borrow her for just a little bit.
 
Shroud of the Future
 
It had to be a clear day. Not a cloud to be seen. This does nothing for my mood. Miss Une thinks I like laying out here to watch the clouds go by. Perfectly normal childhood thing, right? Doing normal things, even if only on the outside, seems to make her happy. I like making her happy. She once told me that my father liked to watch the clouds. I have to wonder if he was really doing as I do. Looking to the future. Wondering.
 
It seems so uncertain these days. It's been a whole year and a half now. The doctors say I'll never walk again. Crippled. How I hate that word. It makes me sound weak. Which I am not. These little outings to the park are only time I get any true freedom from that damned wheelchair. Laying out in the grass, with the sun so warm on my face. What would father think of me now? I ask myself that far too often. He is dead after all.
 
I guess I'm still adjusting to that. Most of my life I dreamed of the day I'd finally be able to see him and make him proud of me. I know I'm young, but when that's all you've ever dreamed of…well it can be a bit crushing. I just need a new dream. Something worth living for. Some kind of goal to give meaning to it all.
 
I'm still trying to convince Miss Une that I would be fine in a normal school. I know that my social skills with others my own age are poor, but how am I ever to improve them without practice. I making some friends my own age would go a long way toward letting me be the normal little girl I should be. What I should be. I've pandered to that for as long as I can remember. Must be my lot.
 
You know, when I think about it, I do have a new dream for my existence. To be normal. Just another girl living her life as best she can. Maybe that's selfish, but it's want I want more than anything. To just be Marie. Not Mariemaia, would be Queen of the Earth Sphere. I want to put that all behind me. As far behind me as humanly possible.
 
Don't get me wrong. I wouldn't give up what I have right now for anything. Miss Une's like the mother I never knew. Heero, though he can't be around much, has become a surrogate brother. Some with Duo. I think there maybe something going on between those two, but no one says anything to the `little girl'. It's one of the prices I pay to be normal. Not a very high one either.
 
Some would ask what all this has to do with cloud watching. Nothing really, I guess. Stupid kiddy stuff when it boils down. Still, as I see it, the sky is life and clouds are its shroud. Hiding what is and could be. They are the uncertainty that plagues me. But then, without them, how would I ever see life's silver linings?