Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Somewhere in Between ❯ Prologue

[ P - Pre-Teen ]


Author's note: I've decided to try my hand at a multi-part Heero and Relena story. I have spent a lot of time thinking/writing this (and the following chapters) through, so reviews, comments, etc would be nice!
Warning: This story will have mild swearing.
Disclaimer: I own none of the Gundam Wing characters or any information from the show used in this fic. The ideas though are my own.
Please review!
Enjoy!
'_____' denotes inner dialogue (thoughts)
"_____" denotes outer dialogue (conversation)

Somewhere in Between
~Phoenixstar

Prologue

~~~

She looked down at the hand he had offered her, the hand she now grasped. He squeezed it reassuringly. A faint smile crept up to her lips as she looked at their joined hands, the ring of his finger clinking gently against the one on hers. She looked up and met his eyes. There were cold, yet calm and loving at the same time. He had such beautiful eyes...
'Yes, just like he did...'
"How long are you going to be gone for?" he asked breaking the silence.


"How long you are going to be gone this time Heero?" He stopped, but kept his back to her. He couldn't turn around now, yet the feeling of her gaze pounding into the back of his head was so compelling that he had to fight hard against it.


"Oh, only a couple of weeks. Not too long," she replied, pulling her hand back to herself. She proceeded to sit down on the edge of the bed and fix her hair, brushing it with firm even strokes before pulling it back behind her head. He looked at her, his eyes narrow, examining her,
"You know, you look better with your hair down," he stated bluntly. She turned to look at him and laughed. Always straight to the point; never one to beat about the bush.
"Yes, well thank-you for telling me that but I will be travelling today, and this is the easiest way for me to keep it out of my way." He grunted in acknowledgement. She rose from the bed and started checking various drawers and for anything she might have missed or left behind.


"I don't know..."
"What do you mean you don't know Heero?" His back tensed visibly and she watched his fists clench and unclench at his sides.
"I mean..." He paused. He needed to say this right. Just this one time he needed to be sure of himself. "I mean, I am going away on business for an indefinite period of time. I don't know when I'll be able to come..." 'Come where? What is this place? Home, is that what this is, home?' "Back," he finished.
"Cut, the crap Heero. Don't lie to me. You mean you don't know when you can come back or you don't know if you want to come back?"


She finished tucking her sweater into her bag, and turned, raising her hands above her head in accomplishment. "See, told you I'd get it all to fit in there!" He smirked slightly before replying,
"I don't know whether to be amazed that it all fit in there, or that you are taking that little," he pointed to the bulging suitcase at her feet. She playfully smacked him on the arm before moving past him to grab her papers out of a drawer.
"It's only a little while..." and then she added as an afterthought with a devious smirk on her face, "And if worst come to worst I can always buy new things." He just cocked an eyebrow at her. She finished checking over all the things in her purse. "Okay, all set!" She turned her head left than right, surveying the room one last time, before moving for her suitcase.


'Don't want to come back? Of course I want to come back, of course I do... Doesn't she understand anything?' He jerked slightly as if to turn but stopped himself. He could hear her breathing heavily with anger behind him, silently waiting for his answer.
"You heard what I said," he said softly.
"Yeah Heero, I get the idea. If that's it then fine. When you come back, if you come back, don't be expecting me to be waiting here for you."
'She has it all wrong.'
"Hn," he replied, the only thing he could say that could hide his shaking. He heard her storm backwards into another room, slamming the door behind her. He turned slowly, facing the place she had just been standing. Through the closed door she missed the silent tears that streamed down his cheeks, and the small words that escaped his throat, barely audible over his heartbeat.
"When l come home love, you'll be happy."


She stepped lightly onto the curb and watched as he tucked the last of her baggage into the trunk of the car.
"Thanks," she mumbled, leaning up onto her toes to kiss him on the cheek. He anticipated this and moved his head round to face her. She murmured slightly, finding her lips meeting his. He then pulled back and opened his eyes slowly, watching as the innocent blush spread into her cheeks from his sudden action.
"Be good now," she chided, playfully shaking her finger at him.
"You too. Be careful," he warned, face almost devoid of emotion as it always was. She laughed at his worry, shrugging it off quickly. Just as she stepped into the car he added, "Love you." She turned, her eyes wide with shock, but this soon faded into a smile.
"Yeah, I know," she replied closing the door behind her. As the car pulled away, heading for the airport she turned in her seat watching as his retreating figure headed towards the house, their house. As the car turned the corner she got one last glimpse as he looked towards her. Despite the distance she could still feel his piercing eyes trained on her.
"So much like him," Relena murmured.
Then they were around the corner and the figure of Trowa Barton disappeared.