Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Somewhere in Between ❯ Bang Bang, You're Dead ( Chapter 4 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]


Author's Note: Thanks to everyone who has encouraged me by leaving reviews so far! I've been working hard to write this chapter, so sorry for taking so long to post. Be warned that this is another very long chapter.
Confusion: I you are confused as to the timeline of events in this fic, please look at the explanation/timeline attached (last chapter
Disclaimer: I own none of the Gundam Wing characters or any information from the show used in this fic. The ideas though are my own.
This is an HY/RP story.
Please review!
Enjoy!
Somewhere in Between
~Phoenixstar

Bang, bang, you're dead


"All this time it's been killing me,
All this time it's been caving in my head,
Killing me,
Alive
Alive
Alive…
You're dead" -MGB (Haven't Slept in Years)


~~~


"You" he spat, "have a lot of explaining to do!" Trowa simply raised an eyebrow and gave a look that read clearly 'why-ever-would-I-have-to-explain-anything-to you.'
"Sit," he commanded. Duo sputtered under his breath trying to come up with a logical reason why this to was offensive but seeing that there wasn't sat down, flinging the papers across to Trowa.
"Care to explain?"
"Explain what exactly?" he looked dead cool while moving around the desk to close his office door, shooing away the small crowd that had gathered around it with all this commotion.
"That," he pointed at the test papers. He mentally cursed at the lack of venom his voice had. It felt wrong. Of course he was better friends with Heero; the two were indisputably best friends, but it felt wrong having to 'fight' another friend. At least he had been a friend. Duo shook his head as memories of the way Heero had looked, the way he denied that broken hearted feeling at knowing the he loved was gone; and the hurt, combined for both himself and his friend were enough to make him dangerous, but he couldn't even sound intimidating.
Trowa moved back behind the desk and sat down, carefully picking up the folder and flipping through it.
"What is this?"
"Test results."
"For what?"
"I was talking to Heero before, and I don't know if you know, but he was quite certain that Relena wasn't there when the bomb went off…"
"Well, I for one can't blame him for being upset." Trowa shrugged, still looking at the papers.
"Upset doesn't even begin to cover it, but the thing was, I was thinking what if Heero's right?" This caught Trowa's attention and he looked up. "Of course I knew it was highly unlikely since everyone seems to believe she is really gone," he paused, sighing deeply and watching as the papers flipped through Trowa's fingers. "I couldn't help myself, I mean, it's Heero we're talking about. He left, by the way. He packed up his bags and took off believing no one here trusted his word. I don't know where he's going and I highly doubt anyone else does either. Anyways, after I left his apartment I went down to the morgue to check things out. I'd already been there, with Heero, but I couldn't bring myself to look the first time, so I thought, maybe he might be on to something. Well, I was there and I decided to do some investigating of my own. I was nervous about, and think the others will wonder because Sally ran into me while I was there. I decided to do some tests to check. Those," he pointed to the file, "are the results."
"And they are supposed to tell me?"
"Heero was right, it wasn't her."
"You are sure?" he asked. Duo noted how Trowa didn't seem surprised, happy, relieved, anything, by the results.
"Read them for yourself. They weren't even the same blood type."
"I guess… I guess we had better show this to Lady and the rest."
Duo started. Since he had gotten the tests back he hadn't thought of anything else to do with them. As soon as he suspected something he had come straight to Trowa's office. He had been so overtaken by rage that he hadn't thought ahead.
"Yes, I guess we had better. See, the thing is Trowa, I think you might know something the rest of us don't." Still, he wore his blank, cool expression.
"Why should I?"
"You lied." 'Finally!' Duo thought, Trowa finally looked mildly surprised by something, so to answer his question he continued. "When we were at the meeting yesterday, you said Zechs' was with Relena."
"You're right, since it obviously isn't her at the morgue, then I guess it was just general misinformation. I apologise then."
"No, you're right, but Zechs' wasn't even at the morgue. I was there, twice, and I did get a good look at the sign in sheets, and Zechs was never there. You said distinctly that he was with Relena, so you obviously knew that Relena was elsewhere and that Zechs was in on whatever it is you guys are hiding," he smirked inwardly as he noticed the sharp increase in the volume of his voice.
"I did?" he seemed to consider this for a moment or two before meeting Duo's eyes. "Are conspiracy theories all that you have to throw at me, because if so I have actual work to do, as I think you should as well. You should show the results to Lady Une or someone, maybe have Sally check it over, but for your sake, keep your notions to yourself. I highly doubt anyone else will take them as lightly as I have." He stood and walked to the door, opening it and motioning outwards, making it more than obvious that Duo was unwelcome. "Oh, and here's your results."
"No, it's quite all right," Duo stood. "These are just a copy. I thought you might like to have a copy to look over and think about." Trowa merely raised an eyebrow as Duo stormed past him, before slamming the door after him. He shook his head and moved back to his desk looking at the file, until it seemed to overpower him. He picked up the phone and dialled,
"Hello, Zechs?"


~~~


Heero sat on the edge of the bed, watching her sleep. He could watch her for hours as she lay, blissfully unaware of his gaze, but he had to go. He knew it wouldn't be for long. Heero knew that he couldn't bear to be apart from her for very long, but still, he felt guilty for suddenly taking off like this, even if it couldn't be helped.
"Trowa's going to be watching over you for a few days, okay?" he spoke to her despite knowing she wouldn't respond and mostly likely couldn't hear him. "I'll try not to get myself hurt," he said, softly running a finger along her jaw. "And I promise I'll be back as soon as I can, okay?" When she shifted in her sleep he smiled a little. "Good. Now you just take care of yourself and don't do anything stupid." He leaned over the bed and kissed her forehead not wanting to wake her up; it was hard enough saying good-bye when she was sleeping.
'I'll miss you love.'


~~~


Sally sat hunched over a cup of coffee, shoulders hunched as she rubbed her eyes wearily. Wufei sat across from her, watching her carefully. On the table in between them lay a set of papers, each covered in charts and scribbling, but the only bit that really meant anything, to Wufei at least, was the paragraph circled loosely in red at the end of the last one. He picked it up and read it through one more time.
"It really isn't her. The blood sample doesn't match hers, of course there are other tests that I need to do to be sure, but that there pretty much says it all," her voice sounded tired and scratchy, betraying the little sleep she had gotten. "So what do we do now?" Wufei put down the papers.
"You're tired." She tried to shrug it off but her movements were sluggish.
"Never mind that, we've got more important things to worry about." Wufei cocked an eyebrow at this and was about to argue with her, but decided against it.
"Well, first I'd do a few more tests, even though this one seems to prove it, we need to be sure before we take this to anyone. Then we have to think about whom we take this to first. I would normally go to Zechs since he is the head of the investigation, but I don't like that and, even though he is her brother, I would feel between maybe taking it to Lady Une first. She would be able to think of who should know, and right now, with all the press I think we both know who the wrong people to take this to are. After that who knows? If the results show the same as these do," he motioned at the disorganised mess on the table, "there will be a whole new investigation and a lot more work that needs to be done, and that includes re-evaluating everything we've found so far. Also, there would be the matter of finding Relena, and knowing Heero, as soon as he gets wind of the fact that he was right all along, then he'll have found her in no time." He sat back and Sally watched him over the edge of her mug. "But we haven't gotten that far yet. We just have to see if all the tests come out with the same result and deal with it from there." Sally nodded in agreement. They sat in silence for some time, both busy thinking of the 'what-if's of what they had just found out; busily running through all that they had found and taken for fact and re-evaluating it for anything, no matter how remotely suspicious. Suddenly she sat up straight remembering something.
"I meant to tell you before, but with this it must have just slipped my mind. When I was at the morgue today I ran into someone, and knocked him over. They saw some of the pictures I took, you know the ones I showed you, and he seemed slightly upset by it, handed them back to me and ran off," Wufei gave her a sceptical glance, wondering what the point of this was.
"Any ways," she continued, "when I was signing in I looked over the names, and it turns out the person who was there before me was Duo."
"Duo?" Wufei whispered more to himself than to anyone else.
"Yes, Duo! It was his handwriting on the sheet alright, and looking at the time it must have been him that I bumped into."
"I wonder what he was doing there?"
"I know, I found it very strange as well. I was thinking at first that he was just visiting to give his respects personally, but he had already been before. Oh well," she slumped over and started sipping at her coffee again.
"Very strange. I think maybe, I should pay Duo a visit. I get the feeling he's in on this; whatever it is, and I intend to find out."
"You don't honestly believe he is involved do you?"
"No doubt he knows something we don't. Heero, didn't even think she was dead now did he?"
"Heero too?" Sally looked disgusted by all the accusations Wufei was making. He noticed it and spoke,
"I am more worried about Duo than Heero. I think we could safely disregard Heero's feeling since we know his personal connection to miss Relena, but Duo? I'm not going to just sit around now that there's the chance she's still alive… And if Duo's been hiding anything from us… I swear I'll kill him." Seeing that Wufei showed no signed of 'kidding' Sally quickly added,
"I think I'll come with you… Just to see, besides I might even have some questions of my own."


~~~


"Please tell me you are going to tell the others soon," Noin threatened giving her husband a warning glance. He grabbed her and pulled her close, attempting to give her a 'welcome home' kiss but she turned and pulled herself away. "I'm still very upset with you. The others will catch on soon. They are taking this so serious and they won't let anything slip by them. You should consider yourself lucky that you've gotten away with it for this long already. You really should. I don't know what you and Relena are trying to prove by pulling this little stunt but I don't like the idea of it at all. I hate that I'm a part of it and I hate the fact that I was at that meeting lying to cover you guys. I'll never forget the way Heero looked. You really have no idea what it's doing to him, to all of them?"
"We knew they would be upset, but it wasn't intentional, and we will correct it in time."
"Upset doesn't even begin to cover it Zechs. And it's the amount of time you're taking to clear this up is worrying me. The longer you wait the harder it will be."
"I'm just waiting for the right time…"
"They all think she's dead. When is the right time?" she glared at him, making no effort to disguise her displeasure.
"I know. It's just…"
"If you knew anything I highly doubt you would have involved yourself in this. There's no going back now. You're digging yourself a grave, and if you don't smarten up you'll be lying in it too. You'd better deal with this and quick or else I will." She paused looking him straight in the eyes with deadly determination, "And I really don't think you want me to."


~~~


Heero's shoes squeaked against the clean and polished floor of the conference building. He counted the door he passed, watching the signs for the auditorium.
"And I know we all have our reasons to protect the peace…" He smiled to himself as he heard her voice filtering out into the hall. 'If only she knew.'
Stepping into the room he was faced with the regular crowd of politicians and reporters, each mesmerised by the young woman on stage, much as he was. She looked towards his corner of the room, but her eyes moved on. He felt a pang of disappointment in his chest, even though the lighting was bad enough that she wouldn't have been able to see him even if she had known he was going to be there.
"That's exactly the reason I have decided to be witness the new trade agreement between these two colonies," she motioned to the two parties sitting to either side of her who were nodding in agreement. "It's much harder to settle disagreements than it is to start them, but I think we all realise how important peace and compromise is its name truly are." Two delegates from either side were nodding their head violently and stood and began clapping as she stood down from the microphone.
Heero made his way along the wall, not really wanting to be seen yet.
"Congratulations Relena," Trowa said leaning on a support column by the edge of the stage. She beamed at him, glowing with accomplishment.
"Thanks. I thought it was never going to end," she sighed, finally able to slouch her shoulders a little now that she was not being watched.
"Well, it did, and you're the one blame," he winked at her and she laughed a little.
"Now if I find out it was you causing all those problems you're in big trouble," she warned.
"Be rest assured that it wasn't me princess."
Despite dislike of the way Trowa was acting around Relena, he had to admit that Trowa was doing a good job. He noticed how the other preventer would routinely check the room with his eyes, and how he was keeping tabs on some of the unknown or less trustworthy attendants. He smirked inwardly, pleased with his choice of bodyguard for Relena while he was away.
"Good… Now I say we head home," she said, grabbing onto his arm.
"Sure thing," he said as they head towards the door. Heero had to admit to himself that he was jealous of how happy she was, despite the fact that she was around Trowa, although it worried him that she was so comfortable with him. He'd never doubt her loyalty to him for a moment, but… Well, he was starting to wonder about her happiness.
Trowa put his arm around Relena's shoulders, holding her to him slightly, while blocking her from a behind view. She smiled up at him,
"Yes," she agreed, "Let's ditch this place!"
"Relena?" Heero called out.
"Oh Heero?" she said spinning round, freeing herself partially from Trowa's arm. "You're back?" Heero nodded. She smiled, but Heero didn't miss the fact that she didn't back away from the hand Trowa was resting on her lower back.
"Hn," he grunted making his way over so her could hug her. With his arms around her, he felt her warm breath on his ear.
"I was starting to wonder."
"Well, I'm back now…"
"I noticed. I'm still not happy with you for not telling me when you were leaving; for not telling me anything at all."
"I know, I'll tell you next time okay?"
"You'd better," she warned. Finally they broke apart from the hug and Heero nodded, acknowledging Trowa who stood over to the side watching the couple.
"I was just about to take her home." Heero nodded.
"Thanks for watching out for her for me."
"Anything to keep the princess safe and happy."
'I know what you mean,' Heero though to himself. "What do you say, should we go home now?" Relena nodded and accepted the hand Heero had offered her.
"Thanks for watching me Trowa," she turned to the other preventer. "I had fun."
"Me too princess."


~~~


Sally pulled up the car beside the headquarters.
"I'll meet you inside?" Wufei nodded getting out of the car. He was glad he'd get some time with Duo before Sally got up there. Duo had played innocent through the whole thing, and maybe he was the one they had overlooked. As Wufei reached the front doors he heard Sally's car screech round the corner.


"Come in." Duo's voice was muffled through the door. Wufei opened the door and stepped in, shutting it behind him softly. Looking up Duo smiled a little, glad to see a 'friendly' face.
"What the hell do you think you're doing Maxwell?" his voice carried loud and clear throughout the small office. Duo froze and paled at his words.
"What… What do you mean Wufei?" Wufei stepped towards the desk and then pulled out a gun, pointing it firmly towards Duo. "Wufei… Man, put down the gun…" Duo stepped back a bit, and started edging round the desk. "Wufei, you're scaring me…"
"You know about Miss Relena?" Wufei said calmly, still keeping Duo at gunpoint.
"I don't know what you're…"
"Shut up Maxwell… I know you know something, and you're keeping it from the rest of us and I don't like it, so speak up." Duo stepped back, his eyes flitting between Wufei and the door. He jumped towards the door but Wufei intercepted him.
'Okay, plan b,' he thought, before launching himself at Wufei, tackling him to the floor and managing to kick the gun out of his hands in the process; it ended up on the floor by the door.
"Damnit Wufei, what's your problem?" he cursed struggling to pin the other under him. He was rewarded by a swiftly connected punch to the jaw. He rolled back, his hand flying to his face.
"You're lying to me," Wufei answered, before launching himself at Duo again. This time Duo was more prepared and managed to grab Wufei's wrist, and was about to punch him back when,
"STOP! Both of you, this instant," Sally screamed from her position in the doorway. What do you two think you're doing?" She noticed the gun lying on the ground by the door and picked it up. Recognising it she looked up and Wufei. "What on earth were you doing? I would never let you have come up by yourself if I had had any idea…" Duo took the time to release Wufei and scramble back behind the desk, his eyes never leaving Wufei.
"Woman…" he warned, rubbing his wrist.
"Oh no Wufei, you think he'll help you at all if you burst and here and try to shoot him?" She held up the gun. "No, I am starting to wish I'd come alone, but it's to late for that…"
"I'm telling you he knows something that he's keeping from us…" He tilted his head towards Duo, as if by just looking it was painfully obvious.
"Duo?" she questioned, finally acknowledging his presence.
"Yes?" he replied, still keeping his eyes trained on Wufei.
"What were you doing the other day when you bumped into me?"
"Just checking some stuff…" Wufei grunted at this and Sally motioning for him to shut up. Wufei threw his hands in the air and then slumped down into one of the other chairs in the room.
"What kind of stuff?"
"I was talking to Heero before he took off." Sally looked surprised and looked to Wufei for confirmation, but he was ignoring her. "I felt so bad for him, I was close to Miss Relena, and he even more so, and he was so sure it wasn't her they found. I was thinking, maybe it wasn't, what if we were wrong, and I just wanted to see, check to make sure."
"Blood test right?" Duo nodded. "What did you find?" She asked, tucking the gun into the waistband of her pants before stepping over towards the desk. 'This could save me a whole lot of work if he got the same result.'
"Here," he said handing her a folder, still conscious of Wufei's glare. "It basically says it wasn't her, not even close to being her. Different blood type apparently. Good thing I checked too. It's a wonder we didn't find out until now." Looking it over, Sally nodded.
"I found the same thing too."
"I figured as much… Well, that you'd test for that kind of thing."
"You don't mind if I keep this do you? I was going to have to double check all the results, but if I can use yours it would save me a great deal of work."
"Yeah, keep 'em. I'll leave it to you two to figure out what to do with them and all." Duo heaved a sigh of relief, silently glad that someone else knew, and that he wouldn't have to be the one to announce it to the others.
"Is that all Maxwell?" Wufei spoke up.
"All I know is that, from looking at that, that its most likely she's still alive. That's it." He said, trying hard to avoid Wufei's distrusting glare.
"As long as you're sure, then I guess we should get going Wufei." He stood and followed her to the door, motioning for her to give him his gun back.
"Nuh-uh," she shook her finger at him. "We might have to make some more visits later and I don't want anymore repeat performances." Ignoring Wufei's scowl she thanked Duo and went out into the hall.
"You are really annoying sometimes," Wufei muttered under his breath.
"You're really stupid sometimes," she shot back. "Call it even."


~~~


"Zechs, Duo knows," Trowa voice was hushed and urgent. Even over the phone Trowa swore he could tell the older man was paling. After a few seconds Zechs answered, his voice slightly shaky.
"How much?"
"Well, all I know is that he confronted me with some blood test results that show that whoever they founds isn't her. He knows she alive." Trowa could hear the deep breathing on the other end of the line.
"How long until the other's find out do you think?"
"I can't say, but Heero will know soon, if he doesn't already, and I can't imagine Duo keeping something like this to himself. Not with all the investigations and all going on. Knowing Duo he'll take it to Lady Une as soon as he's sure."
"Hn."
"But Zechs, I thought I should warn you. Heero took off the other day according to Duo."
"Yuy's looking for us?"
"I'm not surprised. Zechs?"
"Hn?"
"You wouldn't mind if I came there for a while, just to help when things come out and blow over. I'm worried about some of the reactions."
"Heero. Me too, me too. No, I'm sure Relena would like to see a friendly face."
"Zechs, do me a favour though."
"Depends what it is…"
"I wouldn't tell her Heero left on account of her. Not just yet."
"Hn," Zech's answered before hanging up the phone.


~~~


Noin sat on Relena's bed, slowly brushing the younger girls hair. Relena turned in surprise when Noin suddenly stopped and laid the brush down on the bed.
"I'm not going to play dumb anymore Relena. Why are you doing this?" At this the surprise on Relena's face was clearly evident, but like the politician she was she managed to mask it quickly.
"What do you mean?"
"I mean why are you making everyone believe you're dead? Why the bomb? Why the secrecy?" Relena looked down at her hands, a flash of shame darting across her face.
"The bomb… It was never supposed to happen like that. It was supposed to be a small staged assassination attempt. Since we were planning the whole thing we wouldn't have to worry about the dangers of a real one." Noin watched her intently, noting every word and expression of the younger girl. "It was supposed to be small, and I was going be 'traumatised' by it, and that would give me the chance to step back from the centre stage for a while, without having to explain my reasons or resign completely."
"Didn't you think that anyone would catch onto what you're doing though? Why not just come out and say the stress and work was too much and appoint an acting governor while you ease up on things a little?"
"Oh, I thought about that, but they would want explanations and I didn't want to discourage the people when they are so sure that I am one of the main pegs that is holding peace together. It wasn't supposed to turn out this way though. The person we arranged to do it took matters into his own hands, and the bomb we were supposed to discover got damaged and overheated in the air ventilation and exploded. I never expected people to be killed, and I didn't realise that they thought I was dead until I saw the newsflashes, and I was in such shock that I didn't know what to do. After calming down Zechs said he would deal with it and the investigation and here we are…" she said her voice raising as if in joy but her body language suggesting defeat.
"I've already talked to Zechs about informing the others, and if he's even half as smart as I think he is he should know enough to follow the 'advice' I gave him earlier. I'll be honest with you, I hate the way you've gone about this, and especially how you have left everyone in the dark. They all care for you, and maybe fooling them is the worst bit of it. I have one other question though. Why does Trowa know?" The surprise on Relena face was evident, but this time she didn't try to cover it.
"T-Tr-Trowa?" Noin nodded. "Well, he was my bodyguard as you know for a few weeks before it happened, and you should know first hand how thorough the Preventor's are. Well, he overheard some things and approached me about it, and I swore him to secrecy and then told him. I don't know if that was a good thing or not, but letting him know lessened the chances of him telling the others in suspicion. That's why he knows."
"Oh," Noin said, slightly dejectedly. "Didn't it ever occur to you that it was only common curtsey to let the others know as well?"
"I figured the less people who knew the better."
"I suppose," Noin said rising from the bed and moving to the door. "I just hope for your sake you know what you have gotten yourself into this time."


~~~


Duo sat back at his desk, head in hands nursing an ever-growing headache. Things just seemed to keep getting worse and now everyone had either turned on him or left, and there wasn't much he could do about it. He knew that Sally and Wufei, even if they believed him were still weary of him; Trowa, after he had confronted him had taken off; Noin had gone back to Zechs… Wherever he was, and Heero, well he was off looking for Relena.
He had tried getting a hold of Heero, but trying to keep up with the guy was next to impossible since he was always on the move. Mail was out of the question and so was telephoning because once Duo found out where he was he was already on the move again. He was ready to scream in frustration. He needed to let Heero see the results and know that he was right, that they believed him now, that she was still alive, and that he wasn't looking for a lost cause. Duo had e-mailed Heero, letting him know that Relena was alive, or at least they hadn't found out otherwise but he still hadn't gotten a reply. He didn't know what was going to happen, and the more he thought about it, the more he didn't want to. All he wanted to do was go home to Hilde and curl up and pretend like none of this was happening. She'd know how to make him feel better. He shook his head, regretting the day he'd gotten himself into this, but then again he hadn't had any idea. None of them did, except Trowa… No matter how many times he'd try to figure that one out, he still came up blank.
'Oh well,' he thought, switching on the computer is the little apartment he was renting for the time being. 'No use worrying about stuff you don't know. You can spend all life preparing for those 'big things' and then when one comes along you're hopelessly lost. No matter how much you try to avoid it, destiny is cruel.' He smirked to himself, 'that's precisely why I never believed in it.'
His mind sobered back to its previous worried state when he saw he had a new e-mail. It was from Heero.


… Please call me or something. I really need to talk to you. I'm starting to think you're right. She could still be alive. It wasn't her. -Duo
I told you so. -H


~~~


She sat perched on the couch, watching him pace back in forth in front of her.
"Try not to wear the carpet bare," she said smiling up at him, but he ignored her and turned, walking across the room again. She reached out to touch him as he passed by her but he shrugged her hand away. "What's wrong?" He stopped and looked down at her, looking unsure and lost, then he looked away. "What's wrong Heero?" she repeated, her voice conveying some confused urgency. When he still didn't answer she stood up and repeated her question, the tone of her voice dropping dangerously. He just walked towards the door, keeping his back to her. Then realisation dawn on her and she stumbled back; hurt, disbelieving and angry.
"How long you are going to be gone this time Heero?" He stopped, but kept his back to her. He couldn't turn around now, yet the feeling of her gaze pounding into the back of his head was so compelling that he had to fight hard against it.
"I don't know..."
"What do you mean you don't know Heero?" His back tensed visibly and she watched his fists clench and unclench at his sides.
"I mean..." He paused. He needed to say this right. Just this one time he needed to be sure of himself. "I mean, I am going away on business for an indefinite period of time. I don't know when I'll be able to come..." 'Come where? What is this place? Home, is that what this is, home?' "Back," he finished.
"Cut, the crap Heero. Don't lie to me. You mean you don't know when you can come back or you don't know if you want to come back?"
'Don't want to come back? Of course I want to come back, of course I do... Doesn't she understand anything?' He jerked slightly as if to turn but stopped himself. He could hear her breathing heavily with anger behind him, silently waiting for his answer.
"You heard what I said," he said softly.
"Yeah Heero, I get the idea. If that's it then fine. When you come back, if you come back, don't be expecting me to be waiting here for you."
'She has it all wrong.'
"Hn," he replied, the only thing he could say that could hide his shaking. He heard her storm backwards into another room, slamming the door behind her. He turned slowly, facing the place she had just been standing. Through the closed door she missed the silent tears that streamed down his cheeks, and the small words that escaped his throat, barely audible over his heartbeat.
"When l come home love, you'll be happy."


~~~


Heero looked up at the building in front of him. It seemed too easy that she would be here, staying with Zechs, but that would also probably be the best place to hide out and take cover. 'Who better to hide you than the head of the investigation himself?' Now, all that was left to be decided was to come announced or not.
'Ring the door bell. They may not be expecting you, but if they catch you lurking around the house…'
'Yeah, but if they are trying to cover for her then if you ring the doorbell they may not tell you anything…'
"Argh," He grumbled to himself. He was having a conversation with himself. What next tea parties?
He decided that the best course of action would be to enter unannounced. He could always make himself known later once he was sure of the situation. He watched from a while off until the lights stayed the same. It seemed a good indicator of where people would be, so that he could avoid or meet if need be.
Around the side there was a door, 'Probably for the attendants' he figured. It seemed a good a place as any to start, and chances are that it was the least likely to be heavily guarded.


~~~


Trowa sat across from Relena, watching as she shifted her legs uncomfortably, and folded her hands in her lap.
"I never thought it would come to this. I hadn't planned on it working out like this. I never meant for it to turn out like this," she looked up at him, her eyes looking so detached and unsure. "You're sure he knows? Absolutely sure?"
"I can't be absolutely sure, but when I talked to Duo he seemed pretty sure that you were still alive." Motioning to the test result files Duo had given to him he continued, "They seem pretty conclusive you know. And he and Heero are quite close." She nodded understanding what that meant, 'if Duo went to any one else Heero would be the first on his list.' Trowa leaned back and sighed deeply. "And when he burst into my office giving me these he said something about seeing Sally when he was there and, then she's bound to know, or she will soon. Then of course Wufei will know." She nodded again. "And, well, as much as I wanted to say something, Heero never believed you were dead to begin with." Relena's eyes widened in surprise. "Oh no, I don't mean to say he knew what was happening, it was just he denied and refused to believe it was true. He took off two days ago and no one has admitted to talking with him since."
"Two days?" she whispered to herself.
"My guess would be he's looking for you, and since we all know Heero, he'll have found you before too much longer. That's why I came straight away. I know I wasn't supposed to know, but everyone will soon anyways, and I am probably of more use here than there." His eyes narrowed slightly with his next statement, "And you never know how he'll react when he finds you."
"Why did I ever do this?" looking up at Trowa, her eyes were tear brimmed. "I should have just been happy right?"
"We all understand the stress your under, and this way you have an excuse for stepping back without all the pressure right?"
"I don't know anymore…" her head fell to her hands as she choked on her sobs. "I used to think I could do anything…" Tears streamed, hidden, down her cheeks. "Why did I do it? Why? Why am I doing this? It's so stupid Trowa. Why?" 'I never meant to hurt him… even if he broke my heart.'


~~~


He lay beside her, staring up at the ceiling listening to the hands on the clock ticking away. He knew he would have to leave soon, before she woke up. It would be best that way. After she stormed off earlier he hadn't tried to talk to her. He could hear her crying through the door and thought it would be easiest for them if he didn't say anything, so here he was lying beside her after she had cried herself to sleep.
He stood and looked around the room once and memorised everything; the way it looked, smelt and just was with her there in it. His bag lay by the door, packed with the few things he need while he was staying at Duo's. It hurt to know she thought he was on a mission, and in truth he was. He was going to prove something once and for all, would she wait? He expected the worst but couldn't help but hope that she would.
Slinging his bag over his shoulder and took one look back. He couldn't mistake the way his heart pulled at him when he saw her sleeping so peacefully, but he was set. He left silently, not wanting to disturb her.
Later he would come to regret that he had not held her on their last night together.


~~~


Heero slowly pushed the old door open, wincing, as it's rusty hinges squeaked noisily.
'Yeah, that'd be something. After all this time let yourself be given away by a door!' Slowly he closed it behind him. The room was dark and he could hardly see where he was going, but decided not to turn on the lights, as that would be a dead give away. He stumbled a few times, running into things that he figured were counters and tables, meaning he was probably in the kitchen.
Seeing the light filtering in from underneath a door he moved over towards it, careful to make little noise as possible in case there were people on the other side when the alarm went off.
"Damn," he whispered to himself, sure that he had been careful enough to trip any alarms. Seeing a small censor on the floor, tracking across the kitchen he kicked it. The alarm gave off one sharp cry before it stopped, lying in pieces across the floor.
That's when he heard it.


~~~


Relena jumped to her feet screaming.
"Shhh," Trowa said standing up beside her. He made his way to the wall and shut the lights off. He then motioned for Relena to follow him over to one of the more concealed corners of the room by the servant's door. Then the alarm stopped and she screamed again despite herself.


~~~


"Relena?" through the cold crisp air two worried calls rang out. She stood stunned, Trowa in front of her, gun drawn.
"Shhh," Trowa held his fingers to his lips motioning for her silence. She silently watched as she made her way to the wall, groping along it for the light switch. If she was going to be attacked she would rather she see who it was.
Just as Zechs stepped into the room, his sleepy eyes now replaced with concentration and disturbance, the room was bathed in a bright light. Relena threw her arms up to her face at the lights invaded her eyes, shielding herself as she got used to the brightness.
Zechs blinked at his momentary blindness, struggling to see what was going on. Suddenly Heero appeared in the doorway behind Trowa, unnoticed by all but Zechs who drew his gun and pulled the safety on it, pointing it towards this new shadow and firing.


Relena screamed as the exploding noise of the gun rang in her ears, and drew her arms more tightly around her head.
He fell to the ground, his hand instinctively clutching his shoulder to stem the blood flow, the impact causing him to groan in pain. Heero's eyes widened in shock. Then there was silence.


Relena peeked out from behind her arms to see him fall to the ground.
"No, Trowa!" she screeched falling to the floor beside him, holding him close as she looked for the wound. "No… All my fault" She turned to her brother looking hurt and worried. Zechs looked at his hand in shame, letting the gun fall to the floor, hesitating before raising his eyes to meet hers.
Looking behind her Zechs saw Heero touch the graze on his arm, pulling away his blood stained fingers, looking at it in semi awe before looking down at Relena holding Trowa at his feet. Zechs wanted to say something, but before he could Heero had turned and was walking towards the door.
Relena saw the look on her brother face and followed his gaze to the door only to see his back moving away…
"Heero?"


'And she signed the letter,


She could feel the sticky heat of Trowa's blood seeping between her fingers.
"No… Heero No…"


Love lasts forever, but forever's too long to wait sometimes...


She unconsciously grabbed Trowa tighter. Her eyes were stinging with fresh tears, each making its way down her cheek where it splashed on Trowa's shirt, mingling with the fresh blood. She shook her head,
"No…"


And through the tears he could read the last thing she said,


Heero paused for a moment but didn't turn. Then he was gone, disappearing, the door slamming behind him.
"No…" Relena sobbed, her tears flowing more urgently down her face. She rested her head on Trowa's and in the barest of voices she called for Heero,
"No Heero, come back… Please,

You don't understand"