Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Straight No Chaser ❯ One-Shot

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Straight No Chaser
Rating: 13+
Author: Something Like Human
Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing. “Straight No Chaser” is the title of a Bush song off of their Razorblade Suitcase cd (1996) - which I don't own either.
Warnings: drabble-ness dark ANGST, mention of yaoi, language, rape of a good song. (it's a song fic that's not a song fic… i.e.…the lyrics hidden in the fic and not in the order that they appear in the song)
 
Author's notes: I have always been a Bush fan but I heard this song, “Straight No Chaser” last Friday when I was driving down to visit my brother. I got a flat tire (poor Nataku…she was such a good car until then) and spent over an hour sitting on the Turnpike waiting for a repair man to come. I heard this song and thought it fit Gundam Wing very well. I apologize for how dark this fic is…I guess it just reflects my mood coming out of the last weekend. Trust me, the flat tire ended up being only a minor annoyance compared to other things.
 
 
 
I curse as I put the truck into gear. The tires peal out leaving stains on the pavement that in the darkness remind me of the trail of blood I just left behind. The blood of young soldiers, the ones that will pilot suits that kill innocents, is as dark and red as what pours down my arm. One of the young recruits got a lucky shot off before I killed him and his comrades. It was a deep scratch along my right shoulder, nothing very serious, but raw pain nonetheless. It was just going to be a bitch while driving stick.
 
All I had to do now was to head back to the safe house in the city. I was sharing it with the American pilot. He would inevitably patch me up no matter what I said to try to make him leave me alone. It would be the same as always. One of us would return injured the other would play medic.
 
The rest of the recovery time would be spent pretending that the world did not exist. Trying to ignore that there was not war on all sides. We needed to try to forget that out of the over six billion people in the Earthsphere, there were only four others that we could rely on and even that was tentative.
 
Sometimes, just sometimes, the abscessed memories of our lives would be too much. The faces of our pasts and our current deeds are always with us. Like the phantom pains of lost limbs or the ghost aches of old broken bones, the hurt and anguish we have caused or been victim of haunts each and every one of us. It cannot be ignored.
 
Tonight, I could tell, was going to hard. I knew when I looked in the rearview mirror of the truck and felt disgust. The five of us are so young and can look so innocent at times that it is hard to fathom the horrors we have committed. We have to live with the faces of fallen angels. We understand that we should have the whole world before us, we could have it all, but we are condemned to Hell for the atrocities that we have committed against humanity.
 
But tonight, I want to forget for a while what we are. I want to be as far away from the strangers that will haunt my dreams. The faces of the ones that I have killed will mingle in my conscious and unconscious mind with the ones I have watched die. Every time I close my eyes I see them, especially, the face of the angel that I held in my arms as she died. There was nothing like loosing you, my Nataku. There is nothing like loosing you.
 
The alleys and motorways we have built between each other are the only respite we have. It is the only way we know how to have it all even for a few brief moments. The world, the pain, the faces of strangers all go away when I climb inside you. Aside from times like these, none of us say anything about it but we all know we do it. It is the hazard of the life that we have chosen to live. We have all learned how to drink life as it comes - straight, no chaser.