Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Sugar ❯ Sugar ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Duo sighed. It was a nice idea, taking him out for his birthday, but… well. He hadn't expected to see them, when he opened his door last night. He had guessed that they would call, but seeing the other pilots, plus Hilde, had been quite a shock. He had stood there, dressed in grey sweatpants and a black tank top, gaping.
Quatre had immediately glomped him with a cry of “Duo! I've missed you!! Happy Birthday!”
Trowa had rescued the longhaired teen from his over-enthusiastic boyfriend, and simply said "Happy Birthday.”
Heero had said “Hn. Duo.”
Wufei had been struggling with five sleeping bags, so he hadn't said much, only “Come help me you stupid onna!”
Duo had guessed that he was talking to Hilde, so he had ignored the Chinese teen's cursing and invited the others in. The night had been fairly uneventful. He'd settled Hilde into the spare room, tried and failed to give Quatre and Trowa his room, which he ended up sharing with Heero. Wufei bagged the futon, so the two long-term lovers happily settled down on the sofa, which did not fold out into a bed. Duo, looking at the contented smirk on Trowa's face, had figured that they didn't mind.
The night had passed uneventfully. The morning started out comfortably, if embarrassingly, when Duo woke up to find himself tangled up with Heero. The Japanese teen woke up at around the same time though, so Duo didn't have to worry about walking him up as he tried to wriggle out. They had gone out for breakfast, as Duo didn't have enough food to feed them all.
That day the six of them (including Hilde) had met up with Relena, Dorothy, Noin and Zechs at the only amusement park that L2 owned. It was a new development, started after the war and only recently completed. Duo liked seeing it, it was a sign that the L2 of his childhood was slowly disappearing and being replaced.
 
That afternoon, he found out that it was not as different as he had hoped. They had driven him to a club, making him cover his eyes so that it would be, as Quatre put it, “A Surprise”. Heero had led him out of the car, then Quatre, obviously beaming from the tone of his voice, announced:
“You can open your eyes now, Duo!”
Sighing, Duo opened his violet eyes. And tried not to choke. Fortunately, they took his reaction for delight. Horror would have been closer to the mark, he thought bitterly as he took in the red neon sign which proclaimed `Roses' for all the street life of L2 to read.
Why, of all places, did they have to pick this one? Duo sighed. He knew he would be recognised as soon as he walked in the door.
But there was no way out without inviting even more questions, so Duo followed Quatre and Trowa in, praying that Mike and the others would keep their mouths shut. No such luck. The minute he was in the door, Mike caught his eye and winked at him. He shook his head furiously.
Heero went off with Wufei to the bar to get them some drinks. The others dragged Duo out onto the dance floor. They didn't seem to notice the attention the DJ was paying Duo. Three of the club girls in their red satin costumes shimmied over and dragged Duo away. Then the song ended.
 
A new song began. Duo, dressed in black leather pants and a red satin shirt, fitted in perfectly with the three dancers. The ex-pilot shuddered as he heard the familiar beat. He couldn't help himself; he began to dance. This song always did it for him…
 
Love is like a bomb, baby, c'mon get it on.
Livin' like a lover with a red hot thong;
Lookin' like a tramp, like a video vamp;
Demolition woman, can I be your man?
(Be your man)
Hey! Hey!
 
He ignored Quatre's gasp and Relena's questions. He ignored the crash as the drinks Wufei had been carrying crashed to the floor. Instead he danced, danced as he used to, sliding one hand up to undo the first few buttons of his shirt.
 
Razzle 'n' a dazzle 'n' a flash a little light.
Television lover, baby, go all night.
Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet.
Little miss ah innocent sugar me, yeah.
Hey!
C'mon
 
Shimmying around, the girls started to spin around, and he mirrored their movements, his long braid swirling around him.
 
Take a bottle,
Shake it up.
Break the bubble,
Break it up
.
 
He grinned a suggestive grin as the chorus started to pound through the room, arching his back - his braid tip dusting the floor, as he unbuttoned the rest of his shirt and threw himself more fully into the music.
 
(Pour some sugar on me)
Ooh, in the name of love
(Pour some sugar on me)
C'mon fire me up
(Pour your sugar on me)
Oh, I can't get enough
 
As the second verse started, he began to gyrate, rolling his hips and spinning around on one leg before sliding into the set routine the three club dancers were following, remembering the moves perfectly, even though it had been years…
 
I'm hot, sticky sweet from my head to my feet, yeah!
Hey! hey! hey!
(huh!)
Listen!
Red light, yellow light, green-a-light go!
Crazy little woman in a one man show.
 
He caught a glimpse of Heero's wide blue eyes, Zechs standing next to him looking appreciative. Duo caught him licking his lips, and grinned. He didn't even recognise them, not properly. They were customers… there to enjoy the show…
 
Mirror queen, mannequin, rhythm of love,
Sweet dream, saccharine, loosen up,
(Loosen up) I loosen up.
You gotta squeeze a little,
Squeeze a little, tease a little more.
Easy operator come a knockin' on my door.
Sometime, anytime, sugar me sweet.
Little Miss, ah, Innocent, sugar me, yeah!
(Yeah!)
Give a little more
 
His shirt slipped from his shoulders and he toyed with the laces on his trousers, before deciding against it. It wasn't that sort of crowd tonight, he decided. Besides, there was plenty of time for that later…
 
(You got the peaches, I got the cream.)
Sweet to taste; (saccharine).
'Cos I'm hot! (Hot!)
So hot,
Sticky sweet from my head,
(Head!) My head,
(Head to my feet)
To my feet!
Do you take sugar?
One lump or two?
 
The DJ faded the track into another and his three dancing companions melted expertly into the crowd. Duo smiled to himself and walked off in the direction of the bar, intending to talk to Mike - but a tense hand on his shoulder stopped him in his tracks. He looked into Trowa's shocked face and the present came rushing back. He was in a club with his friends, out for his birthday. He wasn't working here anymore. And now those friends had just seen much more than they had bargained for.
“Uh, hey Trowa. Heero. Everyone. Um… look, there's some booths at the back. How about we go sit?” he suggested nervously.
Heero grabbed his elbow and started shoving his way through the crowd. Duo saw the others following closely when he managed to steal a glance over his shoulder. Heero sat him down, and then sat between him and the rest of the club. The others filed in quickly and found seats.
Before the interrogation started, Mike walked over and draped himself over the back of the seat behind Duo.
“Well, well, well. Pixie, didn't expect to see ya `ere again after all those years. Where've ya bin?”
“Ah, around, Mike. I don't appreciate that, by the way.”
“What'chya talkin' `bout? Ya loved it, don't try ta tell me any different. Here's a drink on the house for another great performance.”
“Mike,” Shinigami growled warningly.
“Kay, kay. Ya gonna be coming on the floor again any time t'nite?”
“Maybe. Now, go!”
“Pixie, you still dance great.”
Sighing, Duo turned back to his… companions. He wasn't sure if he still qualified as a friend after that little performance.
“Um, sorry about that, guys.”
“Pixie?” Relena demanded.
“Uh, yeah. I used ta work here, y'see. Oh, bother, goin' back into the old accent n'all. Damn.”
“You used to work here. Doing what?” Trowa asked.
“Dancing. Sometimes entertaining, if I needed the extra cash for something. But Mike didn't force us to do anything. We just had to dance.”
“In return for what?” Heero asked.
“A place to sleep during the day. And, well, this place is a restaurant too. In the kitchen, on the side, there's ten plates. And during the course of every evening, they get filled with leftovers. And every morning, just after closing time, those of us who dance get to have one. There's generally about twenty dancers, so you get half a plate each. And believe me, after the streets, that's a LOT. Plus, we get to use the showers here and he lets us sleep on the sofas, so long as we keep the place clean. Mike's a good guy. Not a lot of people would.”
“When were you here?”
“G may have found me when I was ten or so, but I didn't have to stay with him. I ran away when I was twelve. When I was fourteen, one of the sweepers saw me working here, and dragged me back again. Happy now?”
Quatre and Relena flinched. Wufei looked annoyed, while Trowa and Zechs looked thoughtful. Heero was his usual unreadable self.
“Thank you for telling us, Duo,” Trowa said in that smooth voice of his. “We understand if you now want to go somewhere else.”
“No, I'm cool here. Unless you're uncomfortable now, ladies?”
Noin and Hilde shrugged. Dorothy winked at me, then looked at Relena, who shrugged. “It's your birthday, Duo. Besides,” here she gave an impish grin. “The music seems quite good so far…”
Duo groaned and hid his head in his hands. “I'm never gonna live this one down…”
 
It was a surprisingly enjoyable evening, Duo thought as he practically fell onto his bed. He had grabbed first go in the bathroom, and then left the others to get themselves ready for bed in their own time. He was sleeping now.
The door opened and closed quietly. Heero, his mind supplied. The next thing he knew, a possessive hand had closed around his braid and he was nose to nose with the perfect soldier.
“Did you strip for them?” a voice growled.
“Huh?”
“In the club. Did you ever strip for them?”
“Why do you care? What's it to you?”
Heero paused, and Duo saw uncertainty flickering in his deep blue eyes. “Because,” the Japanese teen growled, “Because… you're mine. All mine.”
Duo stared at him wide eyed. Heero stared back, breathing slightly more heavily than usual. Then Duo grinned.
“I was wonderin' if you were eva gonna admit it,” he whispered, sliding his fingers lightly through Heero's soft hair. “Well, what are you waitin' for? Pour some sugar on me…”