Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tank Police Division 195 ❯ We Can Be Heroes ( Chapter 29 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Tank Police Division 195
Chapter Twenty-Nine: We Can Be Heroes

Immediately after the bomb was activated a blip showed up on the large screen of the tank police's emergency response center.

Isn't that Vice Mayor Beckel started to say.

City Hall? Yep. Officer Sally Po replied from her console. Red Squad this is Ant Farm, what's your status?

We've got the D.B.O slime balls in custody and we're on 68 th Avenue heading towards you. Captain Scot responded.

They'll never get there in time! wailed the Vice Mayor. We're all doomed! The city will become a pile of ash and now I'll never get to run for mayor! He was largely ignored.

If we took the roads no, we wouldn't. agreed the captain. But if we went through the buildings we could get there in ten minutes.

ARE YOU INSANE!? I FORBID IT! YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DEMOLISH HALF THE CITY ON A FOOL'S ERRAND! Beckel screamed.

Do it. Was Une's cool response.

HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND??!!

Mr. Vice Mayor, which would you rather lose: a few city blocks or an entire city? The government official gaped at her. I thought so. Captain, proceed.

Even if they get to City Hall in the next ten minutes they'll never find that bomb in time! floundered Beckel. Chief Une didn't respond, but kept her eyes fixated on the emergency screen.

Since they couldn't very well drop their prisoners off anywhere, Captain Scot decided to lash the three of them to the back of the tank special. It was in the lead, being the largest and heaviest of the four. Wufei, Quatre, and Trowa folloes behind it in their Bonaparte, while Heero and Duo opted to jump their spiders over the rooftops of the adjacent buildings.

Can we go through that building next? Wufei asked the captain.

The brownstone or the bar next to it? inquired Captain Scot.

The bar.

Any particular reason?

I need a reason?

You owe them money, don't you. Heero said, deadpan. There was a pause from Wufei before he responded.

yes. There was an uproar of laughter from everyone else.

Heh. Sure, why not! chortled the captain. I'm just sorry we don't have time to grab a couple of beers before we do.

D ust, mortar, and cement piled up in their wake as the tanks crashed through the buildings like a wrecking ball, determined to reach their destination before time ran out.

You do realize, Duo pointed out. that if we don't make it in time we'll either get caught in the explosion or crushed by falling buildings?

And even if we do make it there, we won't have time to search the building and get blown up anyway. Trowa added.

And , if we do somehow manage to stop the explosion, the Chief will probably kill us. Noin pointed out.

My, aren't we morbid today. Captain Scot growled. Whatever happened to all that bravado you had a few minutes ago?

That was before we realized that we're gonna die no matter what we do. Mumbled Quatre.

The banter continued right until they arrived at ground zero: City Hall.

How are we doing for time? the captain asked.

We've got approximately six minutes and thirty-five seconds before the bomb goes off. Replied Milliardo. What do we do, captain?

We don't have time to find it so we'll just have to bury it. You may not be able to fight City Hall but we can blow it up! Captain Scot surveyed the building. Listen closely, Target the main structural points with the explosive shells. Maxwell, use those cannons of yours at maximum output and blast away the foundation. On my mark. The tanks got into firing position.

Five minutes, captain. Noin said.

Readyaimfire!

It was he longest five minutes of their lives. So much depended on their success: the future of the city, the fate of its citizens, their own lives. Below ground, the residents of Domino city huddled in the dimly lit bunkers waiting for a sign, any sign, that it was over. And then, it came

Whatwasthat? the startled Vice Mayor gasped. An earthquake? The entire building had shook from foundation to roof, startling all inside and knocking down anyone who hadn't been sitting at the time.

I'd think that would be obvious. Dr. Tseratopolis muttered, extracting himself from under a desk. That was a shockwave, and since this isn't an earthquake zone

the bomb went off. Une concluded. And since the building is still intact, it would appear that the crisis has been averted. Officer Po, contact Red Squad.

I'll try, ma'am. Sally nodded, adjusting her headset. Ant Farm to Red Squad, come in Captain Scot. Do you read me? Over. Static. Sally waited a few more seconds before trying again. Ant Farm to Red Leader, come in please. More static. The room's occupants exchanged worried looks.

See if you can contact the other tanks. The Chief said, stiffly.

This is 195 Headquarters calling any member of Red Squad. If you can hear this please answer, you're scaring people! Static and then

Rekssshhhh.we..ksshhhh.

Red Squad, please repeat transmission. Sally urged.

Red Squad to Headquarters this is Officer Yuy. We couldn't hear you before because the dust in the air is messing with the radio signal. I've only just managed to adjust mine. A collective cheer went up at the emergency center. Chief Une motioned for everyone to quiet down.

Status report, Officer Yuy. She demanded.

The tanks are half buried in rubble, and the captain is making the suspects dig them out. In the background those assembled could just hear the good captain yelling things like, dig faster or put your backs into it.

Andthe city? prompted the Vice Mayor.

Ummm. You may want to call for some architects to start designing the new City Hall, and maybe some bulldozers to clear out all the buildings we had to plow through Vice Mayor Beckel wept.

Over at ground zero, the heroes of the day sat on top of their tanks and watched their captain bark at their prisoners. Quare turned to his fellow officers.

You know something.

Wassat? Duo drawled.

I think I finally get why you guys pull the stunts you do.

Do go on. Trowa said, smirking.

It's fun. It's actually a hell of a lot of fun.

It is, isn' t it? Noin sighed , wistfully. Sooodo you think we'll get fired?

Depends. Milliardo replied blandly.

On what? asked Wufei.

On whether or not Chief Une's feeling homicidal. After all, you can't fire a corpse. Heero raised an eyebrow.

You make it sound like she'd actually leave something to bury.

Damn. You have a point.