Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Tassadar's Legacy: The Pact of the Five Gundams ❯ The Beginning of the End ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Relena Darlian, formerly known as Peacecraft and queen of the world, sighed. She'd been doing that a lot lately. Such as it is whenever the Earth Sphere Unified Nation Council decided to hold a meeting, Relena was forced to attend, both as the Foreign Minister and as the chief representative of the Kingdom of Sanc. Relena sighed again as another politician prattled on about tax laws on L3 and how they should be reformed, whether to be raised or lowered, Relena didn't know, as she had tuned out the proceedings a while ago.
Nothing ever changed anyway. These meetings were all the same. Peace did that to a people, especially lasting peace. No one ever bickered over anything, out of remembrance of the past and fear of their peers. Instead, they waited for these meetings, to prattle on and on in a never ending dance of how this or that should be changed or kept the same despite knowing that it didn't really need changing, and knowing full well that regardless of what they said, their notion would be voted on, and subsequently denied with a two thirds motion against the change. After all, nothing ever did need to change.
Peace had kept everyone but the most extreme radicalists passive and after the first five years after the Eve Wars, even they were few and far between. As such, the Preventers only had a job to keep up appearances. Simply put, no one wanted to fight anymore. It was easy to achieve really. All the governments of the different nations and colonies recognized themselves as one entire government, but they kept themselves apart only in that they didn't interfere with the leadership of others. They had their own people to worry about and take care of and as such, they each kept to themselves in that regard.
As such, these meetings were quite useless really, politically wise. But in terms of keeping the peace, they had to be held, just for everyone's peace of mind that no one was trying to get up and rock the boat. So the tedious boredom presenting by these annual meetings would continue, and will continue for as long as there is peace. Relena idly wondered if anyone would notice if she walked out, not that she ever would.
As former Queen of the World, Relena found herself to be in a rather awkward position. Despite her job as Foreign Minister, thus being in a perfect position to already know everything that would be discussed in these meetings, her former position of Queen of the World made many of these politicians nervous. They knew as well as she that if she ever decided to, she could cause quite a stir among the people would she ever decide to rise to power, never mind that she was the one who advocated world peace in the first place. So as such, these meetings were all about keeping an eye on her for these stuffy politician's peace of mind as much as peace of mind for the people to see these meetings to go smoothly, as indicated by the cameras mounted everywhere a person looked, so for appearances sake, Relena would stay put, and be bored out of her mind.
Nothing ever changed. The modicum of boredom kept the peace as much as the people's desire for it. So Relena was very surprised when she heard the door open behind her and her personal assistant, Paagan, leaned over her shoulder to whisper in her ear, "Miss Relena, you have an urgent call from one Heero Yuy." Heero... one of the few people Relena could be told to have an urgent call from and have her destroying the very boredom and peace of mind of these politicians just to answer. She knew her place to keep the peace, but she understood Heero's as well.
It'd been years since he'd contacted her, but Relena knew him far too well. If there was an urgent call from him, whatever it is could not bode well. So, despite murmurs from all around the hall, and even the voice of the politician still going on about tax reform for one of L3's colonies faltering, she stood up and followed Paagan out the door as quickly as she could. Arriving at her office, Relena's breath caught in her throat as she spotted Heero on the view screen. She hadn't seen him since that time 3 years ago, when it was finally determined that no more revolutions were forthcoming, and Heero saw fit to leave his position as Relena's bodyguard to explore the world he'd helped save. Now 24, Heero looked very much the adult, and in all the right ways, but had not changed much at all, from the look on his face to his simple green tank top. Relena took a seat within view of the camera in her phone and said, "Heero..."
Heero Yuy, never one to beat around the bush, answered, "Relena. I need you to convince the politicians to evacuate L1 and L4 to Earth and to start building up defenses that can destroy targets in space." Relena's breath caught in her throat, but before she could even ask why, Heero answered, "L2 has been destroyed. Hostiles are unknown. Data confirmed from two survivors, Duo Maxwell and Hilde Schbeiker, who escaped from the destruction on Maxwell's specialized shuttle craft." Relena took a breath and said, "Heero. When you say L2 was destroyed..."
Heero shook his head and frowned, replying, "Destroyed. Completely gone. Whatever we're facing isn't trying to take over Relena. And if Hilde's incoherent rambling is to be believed, whatever we're facing isn't human." Relena gaped at him shell shocked. Had Heero really suggested that alien's destroyed L2? Judging by Heero's frown, he couldn't believe it either, but if Heero said it, then he believed it, and she wouldn't question it. Relena worried her lip and said, "I will do what I can to convince the council Heero. Perhaps word is trickling to them already of what happened." Heero nodded and said, "Roger that." Then the screen blacked out. Relena slumped back in her chair, her mind replaying the conversation in her head over and over. Aliens... normally Relena would dismiss that as a really bad joke if it had come from Duo, but coming from Heero... and for L2 to be wiped out so thoroughly that they were gone before word had even spread about its demise...
Relena shook her head, and abruptly stood up and left her office, where she'd taken Heero's call. She met Paagan outside the door, who took one look at her face and asked, "Is everything alright Miss Relena?" Relena shook her head and answered, "I'm fine Paagan. Heero just needed me to do something for him." Paagan gave a small nod and followed after Relena down the hall, wondering why his employer and long time friend looked like she'd just seen a ghost. Meanwhile, Relena chewed over just what to say to the council. She could only hope they'd already gotten word of it, or else her speech would not go over well. Evacuation and building weapons? "Heero, you're asking for miracles..." Relena murmured to herself, before opening the door to the Council chamber and heading inside to calm the panicking dignitaries within.