Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Temporary Insanity ❯ Crisis of Faith ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the Gundam Pilots or the Gundam Wing
franchise. If I did THIS would have been the result. Sucks, doesn't
it? Bandi won't sell though.
 
Title: Temporary Insanity 3/10-ish
Author:sparkley- tangerine
Archive: Fanfiction.net and mediaminer.org under sparkley-tangerine,
LiveJournal under stangerine88, ShenlongDeb's Gundam Wing Diaries
Cateory: Humor/Romance/ Slight OOC-mess?
Pairings: 2+4/4+2, mentioned 1x3/3x1
Rating: R? I dunno about these things.
Warnings: First-Person fic
 
Summary: After Heero bites the apparent dust, Quatre suffers from a
momentary lapse of sanity and invites Duo to stay with him. The
second lapse occurs when he doesn't kick him out after two weeks of
idle boredom. Welcome to Hell Quatre Winner, welcome to Hell.
2+4/4+2, mentioned 1X3/3X1
 
Notes: This is the sequel/side- fic/other PoV of Cadaver Company.
The Quatre and Duo story. The plot-bunny has spawned. You have been
warned.
 
A/N: *peeks out between fingers*Er...yup, just a bit late, eh? I've got a reason though...well two actually. Illness and work. Both very valid and mean. You know you're working too hard when it's called double-overtime. My best buddy got my ass in gear to post this part. Threatened to burn me if I didn't edit it before going to work.
 
I love feedback of any kind. Flames are welcome- they can be used to keep me warm at night.
 
Temporary Insanity
 
Chapter Three: Crisis of Faith
 
I can't believe I fell asleep with Duo Maxwell rubbing lotion on my naked back. What is wrong with me? Is my brain missing a valuable piece of equipment?
 
It's like whatever Supreme Being that rules the universe was having a wonderful time building little, ole me…… until he got distracted.
Now my libido is messed up.
 
I've been actively, if not openly, lusting after my braided friend ever since I'd laid eyes on him. How did I forget that? Especially in such a….compromising situation!
 
Although my back feels unbelievably good. Duo is a god with his hands. Nice to know he's taken care of if we lose the war and he needs another……job. One with a better benefits plan and maybe a pension.
 
Oh Dear, he's rubbing off on me already.
 
It was unsurprisingly a bit awkward when I met Duo for breakfast. He had this strange guilty-shocked vibe about his body and I was just fatally embarrassed. Not a very good combination for flowing dinner conversations.
 
It was both a relief and a disappointment when Duo all but ran from the room at the end of the meal. I barely understood his excuse- Gundam *mumble* Fix, *clear throat*, Stuff isn't my first language.
 
Dressed in a simple dark grey t-shirt and khaki cargo shorts, I was preparing to force my embarrassment into exile- or pretend I wasn't blushing like mad under my sunburn- and go talk to my friend when Rashid stood and bodily dragged me from the room.
 
There had been a rather large current of anger, fear and just all-around distress coming from my second-in-command all morning, but I had simply pushed it aside. Last night had me thinking Duo was madly in lust with me- I was having a serious crisis of faith in terms of my belief in my Space Heart.
 
Turns out I need to have more confidence in myself. Figures.
 
I let the bigger man drag me down the corridor a bit before exasperation- and pride damn it, I am a Gundam pilot!- made me break his grip. In the nice Gundam Pilot way- no broken bones.
 
“Rashid, what is wrong with you? I can walk rather well on my own and my ability to follow another person is fairly decent as well.”
The large Arab growled as he jerked open a heavy steel door and pointed into the room. Gundam pilot or no, this man had a way of making me feel like I'd done something particularly stupid.
 
I followed quietly.
 
The door was slammed shut- and locked! - before the angry grisly bear expression on Rashid's face faded into concern. He looked at me earnestly.
 
“Please do not look so distressed. I am merely concerned about your well-being Master Quatre.”
 
Oooooh-kay. It was nice to have someone worry about me for a change- Father Winner was never very good at being paternal- but Rashid's brand of worrying usually came with a locked-away-for-your-own-good guarantee.
 
“I am quite fine, Rashid. There is no need for concern.”
 
The stern look sent my way had me wondering if there really was anything to worry about and I had simply missed it. Wouldn't that have been a lovely topper to this week- one of the elite Gundam pilots missing the danger right under his nose?
 
Logic even said it had to be me.
 
“-are just concerned that Mr. Maxwell might have forced you into a situation that you are unappreciative of. He has made his sexual orientation very well known among the others and we have not missed his looks in your direction.”
 
Wh-what?
 
What?!
 
What have I missed?! Again! Wasn't I supposed to be observant and intelligent and good at picking up on these sorts of things? Something else clicked in my head.
 
“His sexual what?!”
 
Rashid's already tanned skin darkened harshly. “It is quite obvious that Mr. Maxwell is homosexual. It is also easy to see that he desires….” Could that blush get any darker? “……..something other than friendship from you.”
 
No. Way. Was this just a coincidence? That flash of lust last night and now Rashid warning me off Duo's…..
 
I gave him a disbelieving look. “You think that Duo is going to-to….to what?”
 
The Captain fidgeted, wringing his hands as he tried to answer me.
“Abdul and Auda have both hinted at the possibility of Mr. Maxwell ….'making a move' on you Master Quatre.”
 
I snorted absently. “Oh, I wish he would.”
 
It didn't really register in my mind that I'd said that out loud until I caught a glimpse of Rashid's face. His mouth was gapping open like his more basic brain functions had short-circuited.
Basically, he had this deranged, brain-dead expression that was more than slightly unnerving to see on such a large man.
 
I grew distinctively nervous. Since the room was rather void of anything remotely breakable, my mind fell back on its last defense against my nervousness.
 
I began to do the stupid-talk.
 
“Well- I- umm….not…..you see- oh damn it!”
 
The corners of Rashid's mouth began to twitch suddenly as his brain beeped back into function. The twinkle of amusement in his black eyes made me groan.
 
“Very eloquent, Master Quatre.”
 
I fought the urge to glare like a sullen child or pout. Pouting was the spoiled man's signature move. I refused to pout.
 
“Shut up.”
 
Rashid ignored my obvious embarrassment and began to question me.
“So any…moves made by Mr. Maxwell would not be…unwanted?”
 
“Didn't I just say so?” I grumbled, crossing my arms. I blinked suddenly. “Why aren't you condemning me? Or Duo for that matter? Not that I don't appreciate the absence of a lecture but do you not have some religious complications between your god and my choices?”
 
The larger man actually shrugged. “On the account of perhaps sounding like one of those free-spirited hippie types I apologize, but love is love Master Quatre. What you decide is between yourself and Allah and I have no right to condemn you without first facing my own sins.”
 
Well. When you put it like that, everything almost sounds kind of nice. Accepting I guess is the term I'm looking for. Geez, if there were more people like Rashid in the world, it would certainly be a much better place.
 
I gave him my best smile.
 
“Thank you, my friend.”
 
I received a formal nod in return before something that looked suspiciously like a Glint of Sheer Amusement bloomed in Rashid's black eyes.
 
“So…..when exactly will you be making YOUR move, Master Quatre?”
 
Ack!
 
Let's get one thing straight- it is not polite, decent or even remotely attractive to almost choke on your own tongue. It is also a very mean thing to make someone do so. Rashid will pay- later. I may need him for something important.
 
For now I shall simply have to put up with the teasing and utter mortification of someone actually knowing about my…crush.
 
“I'll have you know that I do not, in the near or distant future, have any plans of `making a move' on Duo. So please, let's just forget about this conversation and continue on with our lives.”
 
Rashid wasn't listening to me though. No one ever does these days. Instead his bushy eyebrows frowned as a look of unsure anger settled on his features.
 
“Has Mr. Maxwell rejected your advances already? Perhaps I should have words with him, Master Quatre?”
 
Dear, sweet- that was a horrible suggestion. I'm not sure what would be worst- Duo finding out about my feelings or Duo finding out about my feelings from Rashid.
 
I raised my hands in the air in a mock-surrender position and shook my head wildly. “No! There haven't been any advances of mine to reject. There won't be any either,” I added at the man's opening mouth. “-that's the whole point of this conversation. Or at least my part of this conversation.” I felt a stress headache forming at the back of my head.
 
Groaning, I rubbed the spot slowly. “Can we just not have this conversation, please?”
 
Reluctantly, my second-in-command agreed but the look in his eyes told me I had better keep an eye on my forty odd soldiers and what they said around Duo.
 
“Very well, Master Quatre.”
 
Watching him leave, I decided it would probably be best if I simply stood watch around Duo himself.
 
_________________________________________________________________ ____
 
There was something seriously the matter with Duo Maxwell.
 
And I intended to find out what.
 
I had entered the hanger almost immediately after leaving the room in which Rashid and I had had out twisted heart-to-heart talk…thing, only to find Duo with his ass hanging out of Deathscythe's crotch. I'm not sure if it was Duo or Doctor G's `brilliant' idea to put the mainframe for Duo's stealthy hyperjammers in that particular spot. Really though, no one has ever thought to try and shoot the Gundam in the crotch, so maybe it was brilliant idea.
 
Personally, I think it was just meant to be perverted.
 
Gah! Damned rope! I need more eye-foot coordination. Anyway.
 
Seeing Duo's pants molded against his very nice ass was not exactly the right image I needed to help me focus on keeping my…desires a secret. I took a deep breath and tried to act casual.
 
“Left HJ still acting up?”
 
Duo is a Master of Stealth and Creator of the Ways of the Sneak. I swear that boy hovers on the ground when he `Goes Ghost'. Point being, Duo is one smooth operator.
 
So seeing Slick fumble with his wrench, drop it on his foot and smack himself in the head with him Gundam was a bit of a surprise.
 
I still laughed at him.
 
The glare I received in return was surprisingly mild.
 
“Quat, what have I told you about sneaking around me like that?”
 
I snickered at him, trying to curb my laughter. “Duo, I tripped over
that rope by the door and my own feet twice, cursing all the way. Not exactly stealth-mode.”
 
Well, at least he looked a bit mollified. “Sorry man. Just a bit…high strung. We haven't had any missions for a while now.”
 
I could understand that…if it were the truth. Duo is one of the most laid back people I know. It's very hard to faze him, especially when it comes to missions. Not to say he isn't dedicated- he is- but Duo doesn't suffer from performance anxiety at all.
 
He's confidant but not in that annoying cocky way that makes me want to smack Chang Wufei within an inch of his life. Honestly, who challenges an expert swordsman like Treize Kushrenada- who has nearly two decades of experience under his belt- to a sword fight and think they'll come out on top because they have justice backing them? Santa Claus has the power of snowflakes, wrapping paper and elves but I highly doubt that man could win in a duel against the Leader of OZ based on the moral laws of right and wrong.
 
But back to the topic at hand.
 
Duo had settled against the open hatch, fiddling with the wrench he'd picked back up. He didn't see my disbelieving look as I crossed to jump up and sit beside him. I cocked my head to the side and tried not to feel bad about what I was planning.
 
“You know, deception is almost like an emotion. Really, it's more like a series of emotions. Nervousness at being caught, resolution at finally deciding to deceive, anxiousness at finishing the action and finally guilt for completing it so skillfully.” I blinked at him seriously. “You want to tell me what's really bothering you?”
 
Violet eyes blazed angrily. “I don't lie!”
 
I nodded in agreement. “I know, but you are a pro at misdirection and twisting words around to fit your needs. I'm sure you feel exactly like you said….high-strung……and I'm sure that the lack of missions is making you wary but it's not the reason for your…restlessness at the moment.”
 
I paused before bullying on. “Perhaps the doctors are simply waiting for Heero to show himself again before sending us out. Or maybe he has some information we need to wait to receive.”
 
Duo scowled at me. I had never seen the other pilot so irritated, especially at myself.
 
“Q-man, for the last time- Heero's dead.” He gestured jerkily. “For as long as I've known him, that guy has been trying to die. He just doesn't- didn't- he just didn't have the balls to kill himself without the order.”
 
I sat back in surprise. “That's a horrible thing to say.”
 
He shrugged tightly. “That's how I feel. I can't believe in something I can't see, hear, taste, smell or feel Quatre.”
 
I know I glared at him. No I Glared, with a capital g. “My Space Heart might not have always worked, Duo Maxwell but it has yet to be wrong.”
 
Duo huffed. “He blew himself up, Quatre. I could see if he'd been shot- the guy sets his own broken bones for Christ's sake- but he didn't. His Gundam when Ka-Boom! That sort of implies that there a little pieces of Heero scattered all over that site in Siberia!”
 
With a rather dramatic ending, Duo tossed the wrench down, swearing as it bounced into the open hatch at Deathscythe's bottom.
 
A spurt of warm oil smacked my chest with a wet sound, making me freeze in disbelief as a rather small hose sprayed motor oil all over the place like a line possessed.
 
Duo's sparse curses turned into a litany of every bad word he knew as the oil covered the floor, the Gundam and me. I reached out quickly and snagged the dancing hose, cutting off the oil supply with a kink in the line. It wasn't hard to secure the end back in its rightful spot before picking up the abused wrench and handing it to a meek Duo.
 
Oil dripped from my hair and coated my shirt. My pants were spotted.
 
Duo was spotless.
 
“Sorry Quat.”
 
I gave him a weary smile before reaching up on my shoulders and pulling the t-shirt up over my head. Halfway through I felt that same spike from last night.
 
Pure lust.
 
Holy, freaking God. I was right. It wasn't just a bloody dream……Duo wanted my body. In a very carnal `gimme, gimme' kind of way.
 
Huh.
 
As soon as I felt the rather large spike, it was suppressed…..because he knew I could sense his emotions. I composed myself as I held up the ruined clothes and with a shrug threw it on the floor.
 
I could almost feel those eyes on me. I looked up, innocent as can be.
 
“What?”
 
Duo's wine colored eyes skimmed down over my boy like a damn laser, heating me up. I could almost see him struggling with himself before his voice came out rather husky.
 
“Why are you so white?”
 
I almost pouted. My lips simply became….poutier.
 
“Survival instinct.”
 
Duo does the cutest confused expressions. Some people just look constipated when they do that.
 
“What?”
 
I looked down at my body with a grimace. The sunburn was mostly red but some patches had already started to turn a golden brown color. I made a face. I was going to be a gigantic walking stripe. A candy cane.
 
Actually, it was more like splotches. Like those disgusting suckers old people were fond of giving out at Halloween. Those ones that were white and green and orange. Ew.
 
“You stay covered up in the desert, Duo. There's no such thing as sunbathing or natural tanning because the heat is simply too harsh.” I looked at my greasy shirt with a wry grin. “Although, I'm starting to think you dislike me wearing any shirts.”
 
I expected an off-beat remark or a crude suggestion. I was prepared to see Duo's face all but explode into a near glowing blush.
 
Well, this could be interesting.
 
I stretched innocently and was rewarded when Duo's blush deepened and his eyes turned away.
 
A sudden idea burst into life in my head at the sight of my friend's red stained cheeks. Perhaps the best way to outmaneuver the Maganaucs was to `make the first move.'
 
Hm.
 
 
 
 
 
Chapter Four: Hell-Quat