Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Battle Fought ❯ Enter the Phoenix ( Chapter 1 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter One: Enter The Phoenix

"Didya hear about the new student?" The braided teenager asked as he bounded up to the two other boys waiting for him. They were standing outside the school building away from the other students.
"No, Maxwell. And I don't want to," answered the Chinese boy as he turned away.
"Aww, why not, Wuffie?" pleaded Duo Maxwell, purple eyes shining with usual mischief.
"MY NAME IS WUFEI!" yelled Wufei Chang, his black eyes suddenly set ablaze. "GET IT RIGHT, STUPID AMERICAN!"
"Wufei, calm down," said the blond boy, holding his hands up. "Duo," he said, turning to the braided American, " you were saying...?"
"Oh, right. A new student's supposed to start today," Duo answered, looking at Quatre Raberba Winner.
"Where did you hear about this?" asked the brown-haired boy who had just walked up. His hair was mainly in a unibang for some unknown reason.
"I have my ways, Trowa. I have my ways," Duo replied, with a huge grin.
The four boys began to walk towards the school building. The school was set in the Sanq Kingdom, near the Atlantic Ocean. So close that many of the students would skip school to go swimming and just go to the beach.
"Hey, where's Heero?" Duo said suddenly, looking around.
"Considering the fact that they have allowed morning fencing practice, he's probably there," answered Quatre. The others nodded in agreement.

Upon entering the fencing hall, the Gundam pilots noticed the other boys who were either practicing or fooling around. Towards the back of the hall, two boys were really going at each other. The smaller of the two kept darting about, dodging the taller boy's attacks. After a few minutes, every fighter in the hall had turned their attention to the pair in the back.

Heero Yuy glanced at the two before walking to his friends. As he pulled off his helmet, Trowa asked, "How long have they been fighting?"
"About thirty minutes," Heero answered as he looked at the back. "Smaller one's a good fighter."
"Yeah, looks like he knows what he's doing," responded Duo. "Hey Quatre, you awake?"
The Arabian pilot was watching the smaller boy as he darted about. Somehow the movement was slightly familiar, something Quatre had seen in the past. If only he could figure out where...
"Look!" someone yelled, yanking Quatre out of his thoughts. The taller boy had made a thrust at the smaller boy, who leapt to the side. Then, as the taller boy made a swipe with his foil at the other boy, the smaller boy ducked, moved to the inside and pushed the end of his foil in the taller boy's chest. The match was over.
As the smaller boy backed up and saluted with his foil, the other saluted back.
Pulling off his helmet, the taller boy said, "You fight pretty well."
"Thank you," the other said quietly, pulling off a pair of fighting gloves.
"I'm Tom Peterson," the taller boy said. "Um, what's your name?"
As the fighter pulled the helmet off, golden-blond hair fell down. The ponytail her hair was in kept it from going wild as it settled behind her back. She ran a hand over her hair as she answered coolly, "Lynya Nycoli."

At the sound of the name, all five Gundam pilots looked at each other, then at Lynya, who continued to speak with Tom. For each, the name registered mainly the same: Lynya was from a little known kingdom in the Pacific Ocean. Two years earlier, the Gundam pilots were on Anari for the coronation of Alexari Risk. There they met Unit 4, the elite group of the Eternal Foundation, or E.F., as it was commonly called. Princess Alexari just happened to be both heir to the throne and Capricorn, leader of Unit For all five teens, their lives had changed a bit during the stay in the Kingdom of Anari; they had fallen in love. Duo had fallen in love with Marina, also called Mercury; Heero with Callysta, also called Pisces; Wufei had fallen in love with Terra, successor of Unit 4; and Trowa had fallen in love, almost unfortunately, with Princess Alexari.
Quatre, too, had fallen in love. While he watched as she put up her fencing foil, Quatre Raberba Winner began to realize how much he had missed Lynya Nycoli. She was the first to show Quatre innocent love, the kind found only with one's first love and broken just as easily as found. She had also be the first, and only, person Quatre had been trapped in a Gundam with. Duo still liked to bug him about that.
Noticing that Lynya was starting to leave, Quatre started after her. Just before passing through the door, the blonde girl stopped and turned around.
Quatre... Lynya thought, seeing the blonde Arabian standing only a few feet away. Her green-blue eyes locked with his blue-green eyes. He still looked beautiful to Lynya; how she wanted to run to him, to hold him...
She half-heartedly smiled at him before turning around. Continuing through the door, a single tear drifted down her cheek. She didn't bother to wipe it off. She had hurt him when Capricorn revealed to the Gundam pilots that E.F. was an organization of spies. Spies that collected information, then sold it to anyone who wanted it. The mixed look of surprise and betrayal on his face had scarred her and haunted her since that day.
That look was part of the reason why Lynya tried to forget E.F., Unit 4, her life as Librae, and so many other things. She knew it was pointless, though; she could never forget anything, especially anything that involved Quatre.
She had loved him then, loved him now, and never wanted to hurt him again. Lynya knew that in order to not hurt him, she would have to stay away, even though that hurt her incredibly. She ran hard, away from Quatre as the tears started to fall heavier.

Trowa watched the silent exchange between Quatre and Lynya. After Lynya turned away, Quatre continued to watch her as she ran towards the locker room.
"Quatre..." Trowa said softly. He could tell Quatre was in pain just by the look on the blonde boy's face.
"Now we know who the new student is," Quatre said, turning back to his friends.
"She is a year younger than you, correct?" asked Wufei.
"Yes." Quatre glanced over his shoulder in hopes of seeing Lynya, but she wasn't there.
"More than likely she won't be in our class then," the Chinese pilot said turning towards the opposite door and began to leave the fencing hall.
He's right, Quatre thought. Yet, I hope he's wrong.
BRRIIIING!!!
"Come on guys. We gotta go to class," said Duo, normal cheerfulness re-arising.
The remaining four walked to their class. Quatre could not take his mind off Lynya as they walked through the halls to their homeroom. He had thought he would never see her again, and now he had. How much he wanted to speak to her, tell her he wasn't angry with her for not telling him E.F.'s true purpose. He didn't blame her for wanting to keep secrets. If he had the chance, he would tell her...

Upon entering the classroom, it was apparent that everyone had heard about the new student. After talking to several of the students, Heero, Quatre, Duo and Trowa went to their seats.
The room was a lecture hall, with the desks set up in rows, with each row slightly higher than the last. There were five rows, with six desks to a row. The room was relatively small compared to the other rooms.
Once in their seats, Trowa turned around so he and Heero could talk. Duo, suddenly remembering he had homework to turn in practically dove under his desk and stuck his head in his bag as he fished around for the assignment. Wufei sat meditating in front of Quatre, who was reading, as the teacher walked in.
"Class. Class," the teacher said, clapping to get everyone's attention. "We have a new student in our class and I'd like for all of you to make her feel welcome." The teacher turned to the door and gestured for the new student to enter. The room became deadly silent as a small girl walked in. The only noise heard was the clicking of her shoes on the wood. She stopped in the middle of the floor, next to the teacher. Her gold-blond head was bent; long, blonde bangs hung past her chin with one stray strand that seemed to be twisted to stay separate. She stood that way for a while, her hands in front of her with her eyes closed, until the teacher prompted her to speak.
"My name is Lynya Nycoli and it's a pleasure to meet all of you," she said in a cool, clear voice. Her head remained bent with her eyes closed. Why are they looking at me like that? Lynya thought to herself. For as long as she could remember, she had been able to tell when someone was looking at her and where that person was. She could also find someplace even if she had never been there, but only if there was a person in that place. Terra had told Lynya that she had the fire heart, the heart of awareness. Someone's watching me too intently... After mentally locating the person, Lynya opened her green-blue eyes and looked up at her target. She drew in a sharp breath when she saw the blonde boy. Quatre...
"Lynya, you may go sit by Quatre," the teacher said finally.
By...Quatre?! Play if off, Lynya. Pretend you don't know him... "Who, ma'am?"
"Third row, all the way to the right," the teacher answered, pointing.
"Thank you." Lynya calmly went to the steps as the teacher read the morning announcements. She could hear Phoenix giving her suggestions about her action. Phoenix had platinum blond hair, green eyes, and fire wings and wore all black. Normally, Lynya wore a dark blue shirt, a black duster, and jeans, but she had to wear the school uniform, a maroon jacket and knee-length skirt with a white blouse and black tie. However, her mental projected form was not limited to that boundary.
Show him you miss him! Phoenix said.
Shut up, you! Lynya's projected form responded. I'll do this my way.
Who do you think I am? retorted Phoenix, spreading her wings. I mean, I am you! She added, crossing her arms and glaring at Lynya's mental form.
Go. Away. Now! Lynya ordered. She was answered by the Goddess of Fire sticking out her tongue, and then vanishing.
That Phoenix... Lynya thought in silence, continuing to the third row.

As she walked up the stairs, Quatre couldn't help but to look at her. She looked almost the same, but seemed different in attitude. Two years can have an effect on a person, he thought to himself. The pilot of the Gundam Sandrock looked up as the pilot of the Blade BlackHawk sat in the desk next to his.
"Welcome to our school, Miss Lynya," Quatre said with his normal politeness.
Her heart melted at his words as she answered, "Thank you, but just call me Lynya." You're letting your emotions take control, Lynya!
That could be a good thing, Phoenix whispered, from her fire form.
Before Lynya could either say something to Quatre or think something at Phoenix, someone behind her leaned forward and asked, "How do you spell your name?"
"L-Y-N-Y-A," she answered, curiosity rising.
Another person leaned forward, bit this time asked, "How do you spell...Phoenix?" A chestnut braid swung into her view.
A grin spread across her face as Lynya spoke. "P-H-O-E-N-I-X, hi Duo, Trowa." She turned around to confirm her guess.
The God of Death grinned at her. "How'd ya guess it was me?"
"Let's think about that a second, shall we?" Lynya responded, tugging on Duo's braid.
"Ow! Fair enough. By the way, we all here." Lynya noticed Heero sitting behind Duo and Trowa.
"Great..." Lynya said with mock disappointment.
"What about Callysta, Marina, and Terra?" Trowa asked.
Lynya was about to say, "What about Alexari as well?" but stopped herself. She had forgotten that Alexari Risk, Queen of Anari and Leader of Unit 4, had died just weeks after her coronation two years ago while saving the rest of the kingdom.
"They're supposed to come later," she said instead.
As she finished her sentence, Lynya sensed the boy in front tensing up. Looking, she saw black hair with a little ponytail.
Leaning forward, she whispered in the boy's ear, "Hi, Wufei."
He jumped, then snorted in response.
Before anything more could be said, the teacher demanded their attention for the day's history lesson.
"Day one," Lynya said quietly as she pulled the correct textbook out of her desk.

About three hours later, according to both the clock and Duo's shifting, which occurred about every 10 to 15 minutes, the teacher had them put their books away. Many of the students stood up and soon almost everyone in the room was talking.
"What's going on?" Lynya asked Quatre.
"We get rec time in a little while," answered Duo before Quatre could.
"....?" Lynya 'said.'
"Recreational time. A break," explained Quatre.
"Ohhh..." Lynya answered, as the bell rang. All the students left the room as soon as they possibly could. Lynya followed the Gundam Wing boys out the door onto the balcony.

Once outside, Lynya walked over to the low stonewall and leaned against it. From her spot, Lynya could see out to the ocean, but couldn't hear it due to the sounds of laughter and joy of the other students. Turning away from all that, Lynya placed her hands on the cool stone. Closing her eyes, she imagined standing on one of the numerous balconies that decorated the Royal Palace of Anari. Having this memory in her head, she eased herself up onto the railing. After a while, the Anarian girl stood up on the stone and turned back to face the wide ocean. Her maroon skirt fluttered lightly in the coastal breeze. Closing her eyes again, Lynya brought back the image of the Palace, along with the music that was played the night of Alexari's coronation. She saw herself in the silver dress with light blue swirls she had worn. Lynya twirled, the light silver skirt of the dress moving with her. She laughed as she twirled, but stopped both suddenly. There in her mind's eye, as he was that night, was Quatre. They stood there, looking at each other, until he walked up to her. As Quatre held her face in his hands, Lynya began to cry, not with tears of sadness, but with tears of joy. She opened her eyes, hoping that he was truly there; he wasn't.
Lynya sat down on the stone and drew her knees to her. She looked out to the ocean and concentrated on its color. My eyes are the same color, just like Quatre once said. A school of dolphins leapt among the white waves.
If only I was as happy as those dolphins, Lynya thought. If only Quatre...
Awww! How sweet, Phoenix said suddenly as she appeared in a burst of fire.
Where'd you come from? Don't you ever go on a vacation, or something?! thought Lynya.
Nope! Phoenix answered, grinning like a fool. You know, I have this feeling that someone wants to be with another someone trapped somewhere for a while again.
Why you little... Lynya started, but she knew that Phoenix could see her blushing.
It's true, ain't it? When someone blushes that means something's true. Never knew you had it in you, 'specially for Mr. Winner.
Phoenix! Why do you torment me?! Just because I have the fire heart, of which you are the guardian? That's fine, but please! Leave me alone right now! Lynya screamed. She could feel her spirit blazing in anger. Phoenix began to cower, then flew away in fear. Oh Phoenix, I'm sorry! Please forgive me. I didn't mean to...
Don't worry! Phoenix said, reappearing cautiously. It takes a lot to either piss of a Goddess or freak one out. But, gods, you came really close this time.
Sorry, but I...Lynya started to say.
"Do you mind if I sit here?" a boy behind her asked.
"No, go ahead," Lynya answered without turning around. Why didn't you warn me?
I was busy arguing with you! Phoenix said, lifting from the ground. As fire formed around her to transport the Goddess of Fire back to the Realm of Gods, Phoenix whispered, Follow your heart, Lynya Nycoli. Let your emotions lead you.

After the Goddess of Fire departed, Lynya continued staring at the ocean, wondering whom the boy sitting to her left was.
Suddenly the boy reached out to Lynya and pushed the bangs closest to him behind her ear. This action was done delicately and quietly, making Lynya freeze. Looking to her left, she saw platinum blond hair. The boy turned his head to look at her with his blue-green eyes.
"Quatre," Lynya breathed. He was closer to her than they were in the classroom. Now, he was close enough that she could touch him, to make sure he was truly there. Gingerly, she reached out and stroked his cheek. His skin was soft and smooth, the way she remembered. Tears of joy ran down her face. Quatre gently wiped the tears from her eyes.
"Why are you crying?" he asked, even though he already knew the answer. He just wanted to hear her reason for her tears.
"Because I just found what I lost years ago," Lynya answered quietly. Quatre smiled sweetly at her.
"Lynya, I..." he started, but was interrupted by the bell to signal five minutes to class time.
Damn bell! Lynya thought, glaring in its direction. When she turned back to Quatre, the blonde Arabian was standing next to her holding out his hand to help her down. Lynya stood up on the railing and, placing her hand in his, allowed herself to be captured by Quatre's charm and graces.
Mom used to tell me about dashing princes on white steeds that rescue maidens in distress. Well, I was in distress, but do Gundams count as steeds? Lynya thought playfully. Lynya and Quatre walked into the school building together, hand in hand.