Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Dooming ❯ Yelling and Sad Memories ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SK: See!? Its another chapter, don't hurt me, please. *hides behind her muses * I hope to update this story every Saturday morning.
 
Shadow: However SK would like it to be known that the more you readers review the more she feels like writing on this.
 
Naven: Who wants to write a story that no one likes after all.
 
Shadow: Where is Zim by the way, isn't he supposed to help us with this?
 
SK: Heh, he's hiding in shame I belive. Oh by the way, I've forgotten to mention this in the other chapters. I DUN OWN GUNDAM WING OR INVADER ZIM. How ever this idea is completely original and I am hoping that this inspires more cross overs. And now for reader comments.
 
Media Miner Reviews -
 
Bombayoni - hehehe Zim loved your comment by the way and I'm glad that Invader Zim fans have read this and found it plausible. I'm trying really hard to keep the two very different shows merged without ruining the feel of each. I love you to!! ^_^ And have no fear I hope to continue!! (PS I hope your friend likes this story too, maybe it'll inspire her to watch GW)
 
SkyIce - Thank you for the ten out of ten rating!! I've been mulling around this idea in my mind for awhile (I like picking on Duo and making him into odd things) and finally decided to type it up. I'm surprised and thrilled its getting such a great greeting in fanfic world. I plan to keep updating and I hope you keep reading and enjoying it.
 
Fanfiction.net Reviews -
 
Shinimoeru - Yep I'm brining back GIR. Heh it wouldn't be an Invader Zim fic without him. ^_^ I'm glad you've stuck with me so far and I hope you enjoy this newest chapter. Please let me know if I go to far out of character!
 
Jjinks - I'm glad you enjoyed the last chapter. Yeah I know that school can screw up the important things like reading fanfiction. ^_~ Anywho in your last review you said you weren't much of a fan of Invader Zim and the Irkeness is going to come out more in the chapters to come
 
Mercurialgreen - I suggest you look into it!! It's a great cartoon and don't worry I will!
 
Kyra2 - It isn't a good idea as you will see, or read actually. ^_^ And you guessed the thoughts running through their minds!! I'm so glad I was afraid that I wasn't expressing it well enough without stating it point blank. Where's the fun in a story if you lay everything out on a platter.
 
Sonia - Thank you for Reviewing so many times!! You have some interesting ideas perhaps you should make your fic! I've pretty much got mine planned out to a point (I have no idea how to end it just yet but that's still far away) but your suggestions are met with love and Zim likes them a lot. Ooooo Kitties!! Cheerleaders? Olsen Twins? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
 
 
Yelling and Sad Memories
 
(one month after Dib's funeral)
 
Zim sat before his main computer, the screen was dark not that he noticed or cared. His fire had gone out, he hadn't budged from his seat for the last two weeks. Absently he noted the sound of the transport pad behind him activating. Someone was on their way down to visit him in his rotting tomb. It didn't matter though; it would never be the one person who he wanted to see.
 
“Zim this has to stop!” The slight twitch of an antenna was the only reaction that let Tak know that Zim was still alive. “If you don't eat something soon you die, do you want that?” Silence as Tak slapped herself on the forehead for such a stupid question, the normally over active Irken wouldn't be down here in such a state else wise.
 
CRASH!! She winced as a piece of the ruby eyed Irken's base collapsed on itself.
 
“Why should I move Tak? Dib's gone, GIR doesn't work anymore,” Tak glanced at the tiny limp robotic form in Zim's lap “And my base is deteriorating around me.”
 
“Then repair it!!”
 
“I CAN'T!!” his head spun to face her, some of his legendary temper surfacing “The Tallest didn't exactly give me the best equipment to work with and I don't have the funds to replace it. It's more then one Irken's work down here to repair any of this,” he looked down at GIR “I can't even repair GIR… The Tallest where right… I'm useless.”
 
“Your not useless Zim!” She twitched as Zim shot her a look “Yes I know that's odd coming from me, but I still need to get my revenge on you for what you did to me and I'm not exactly about to let you waste away before I have it!”
 
“Take your doomy revenge now then,” he said quietly “I've got nothing left.”
 
She shook her head “It wouldn't be right to attack you now. It wouldn't be right.” She paused for a moment the said in a quieter tone “Gaz doesn't want to stay on this planet anymore, she says she can't stand this place anymore and I can't blame her for it.” Zim nodded his agreement “She wants to take over a small planetoid somewhere and produce games. Come with us, and become strong again.”
 
Zim looked at Tak for a moment but shook his head. “No, I can't. I belong here.”
 
Tak snarled her temper exploding for a moment “AND DO WHAT? WAIT HERE TILL YOU DIE!!! THAT IS NOT A WAY FOR AN INV-“ she faltered for a moment when Zim winced “An IRKEN to go out. What will you do here on this sewer of a planet.”
 
Zim tilted his head in thought, after a moment his crimson eyes sparkled and he sat up a little straighter. “Maybe I'll help this little sewer of a planet grow up a little. Dib would of liked that I think. Maybe I can help them reach for the stars. With me, the Mighty ZIM, as they director they could become so much more then they are now!”
 
Tak snorted, but a little pleased that Zim was starting to return to himself a little. “Your taking on an impossible task Zim, they still have wars amongst themselves for Irk sake!” For the Irken race having wars amongst a planets own people was the highest sign of stupidity and how said planet deserved being taken over. A war between the creatures of Irk hadn't happened for hundreds of millennia.
 
“Maybe then that is the first thing I should take care off, stopping this foolish fighting amongst themselves.” Zim said a lazy smile on his green lipless face.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
Duo was about ready to snap, he could live with the being watched while working, he was used to it and it often caused him to work better as it reminded him of the times at Invader Skool, but by Irk he drew the line at being watched while eating! Trowa and Heero had yet to take their eyes off of him since they had entered the tiny dining room that this safe house sported and taken their seats at oval table. A fine tremor of twitch had started to form over his left eye as he refused to look at them, however he could still feel the weight of their joint gazes upon his flesh. It was not a feeling he relished.
 
Barely stopping himself from snarling at them like a true Irken would he chose to look up slowly about to give them a large piece of his mind…. But Wufei, believe it or not beat him to it.
 
“Its rude to stare Yuy, Barton.”
 
Sweet Quatre backed him up “What has gotten into the two of you recently? You've been glaring and spying on Duo as if he where a part of OZ! He's our ally not an enemy!” Duo blinked and looked at the pilots of Sandrock and Shenlong in shock, the fork full of food forgotten in his mouth. The blond pilot focused his somehow innocent crystal blue gaze of Trowa. “Trowa what's been with you recently?”
 
The unibanged pilot shifted uncomfortably under that loving gaze, but remained silent. Heero, on the other hand, was completely unaffected of the queries of his fellow pilots. His focused centered unwaveringly of the braided boy before him.
 
“Hn” was his voiced reaction which nearly made Duo choke on his fork with a snort of laughter before he continued “Ask Duo.”
 
The disguised Irken removed the fork with one hand and placed the other on his chest over where the human heart would be, blinking with wide-eyed innocence. “Me? What did I do? Wait.” His eyes narrowed into a mild glare “Don't tell me your still going on about those three days?”
 
He took Heero's silence as a yes. “Okay I can understand you keeping on with that and not letting it rest EVER, but you Trowa? Geez, I didn't you'd care so much about such a little thing! That was my business let it drop already!”
 
Wufei nodded his head in agreement. The dark eyed pilot had a firm respect for the privacy of others and while Duo was loud, annoying, energetic, and prone to pulling pranks, he never pried. Once he was told or gathered that a subject was not to be talked about he dropped it and never once would bring it up again, and never once ask why. The justice-loving boy felt that Duo deserved the same respect.
 
“Let it drop Yuy, Duo doesn't want to tell us we should respect his wish for secrecy.” Wufei ignored the smile that the 02 pilot beamed at him.
 
Heero's eyes narrowed in the ever famous and ever feared Death Glare and as usual Duo met that dreaded gaze without so much as a twitch. After being on the bad side of Gaz's Doom Powers such a tiny thing as a death glare so insignificant. Like comparing driving a car to piloting a Voot Skooter effortlessly through space.
 
“You endangered the mission and you won't even tell us why so we can fix any of your mistakes.” The Perfect Soldier's voice never once rose out of his normal monotone, but somehow one could tell he was irritated.
 
TWANG!!! The fork that had been previously resting forgotten in Duo's hand suddenly appeared buried deeply into the old wood of the kitchen table, right between the pointer and middle finger of Heero's hand. It vibrated as if in shock at its suddenly flight, slowly the four pilots looked up at Duo.
 
The sound of the many threats, lectures, and insults he'd received over his life about his height and inadequacy from Irkens and humans both rang in his ears. Heero had unknowingly stepped on very thin ice.
 
“I did NOT make a mistake Heero I'm a Perfect Fool Yuy! I know how to hide my trail as well if not better then as any of you!” His voice was quiet but filled with repressed anger, his body was shaking as his body tensed as if it was about to spring “I made sure to cover my trail and I know I wasn't followed either way. You just can't stand the fact that I won't bow down to your will and control, that I may be just as good as you Mr Perfect Soldier!”
 
Trowa could tell that this argument was about to degenerate into a fight where blood of one or, more likely, both of his friends. He decided to try and head it off before it reached that point. Reaching into his pocket he pulled out the half photograph that they'd found in DeathScythe only a few moments before. He knew that Duo would not be pleased that they'd gone through his Gundam, but hopefully it would defuse his wanting to hurt Heero a little.
 
“Duo who is this.” Those angry violet eyes switched to him and then to the picture. He succeeded, Duo was no longer angry at Heero, but him. The brown haired pilot absently noted that the sound a chair makes when it falls back and lands against a tile floor sounds very similar to an axe falling as the 02 pilot stood suddenly, filled with righteous rage.
 
“YOU WENT INTO DEATHSCYTHE!?!?!?!?!?” Trowa winced, the human voice wasn't meant to screech that hi, but the braided pilot managed it. And now Quatre and Wufei we're glaring at him, it was unsaid amongst then that the cockpits of their Gundam's were off limits unless invited. One look at the blond pilot told Trowa that he'd be sleeping alone for a while.
 
“HOW DARE YOU PITIFUL CREATURE SOIL MY WONDEROUS MACHINE WITH YOUR FILTHY MEATY HANDS AND GET YOUR GERMY GERMS ALL OVER MY PICTURE…” All four pilots winced at the volume Duo reached; the furious Irken snatched the picture back smoothing it self consciously as if checking it for damage. Using this pause to his advantage Quatre scooped the fallen chair up and pulled Duo down back into it.
 
“What Trowa and Heero did was undoubtedly wrong, Duo, but yelling at them and making us all deaf in the process will not make it better. Please calm down.” Quatre gave Duo a small smile as a pair of violet eyes blinked at him as if he had just realized what he was doing.
 
The Irken once called Zim shook his head slowly, putting one hand against his forehead. How long had it been since he had lost himself like that? He had not had one of his “fits” in a decade or so, thankfully Quatre had stopped him before he could blow his cover which he might have if he'd been allowed to continue. As it was, he was shocked that he hadn't said doom once!
 
The other three pilots held their breaths, though Heero would never admit it, as they waited to see what the unstable pilot would do. All four breathed a sigh of relief as all the anger seemed to flow out of Duo as the braided pilot crossed his arms and switched to a pout. “I am NOT apologizing.”
 
Wufei nodded, refusing to rub his ringing ears as it would be a sign of weakness. “No reason you should Maxwell. The blame lies fully on Yuy and Barton, they never should of gone through your Gundam.” His black eyes glared at the two, as if daring them to try the same thing with his beloved Nataku.
 
Quatre saw Duo's gaze turn sharp and angry again and his heart of hearts gave him a heads up about what would happen if he weren't distracted, and soon. It amazed him for a moment about what a good actor he was, how he was staying calm and gentle as always when he was quaking inside. He had felt something emanating from Duo, that he had never felt before, that he was almost sure no one had felt. Anger deep, raw, and blinding, tinged with pain and loss. All of it was swirled together in a great canvas of feeling, forming a downward spiral that encompassed YEARS, not merely decades either but hundreds of years.
“Duo you can get back at them later, maybe paint the inside of their Gundams pink or something.” Quatre smiled sweetly as the anger left those expressive violet eyes and a mischievous glint took its place. Both Trowa and Heero, who'd been staying wisely silent till now, the straightened in their chairs their mouths open to protest that comment. However one quick glare for the normally sweet pilot left them speechless as the memories of the Zero filled their minds. “C'mon Duo, the rain has stopped, lets go for a nice walk, hmm? The three of us?” he shot a quick glance at Wufei who nodded his consent to the idea. Right now the best course of action would be to get Duo as far away from the other to pilots as possible.
 
“Sounds good to me Winner, a nice walk will be relaxing. I'm sure the two of you can clean up this mess?”
 
Duo sighed knowing that it would most likely be best if he got away from Heero and Trowa for awhile, and also aware of the fact that Quatre wouldn't take no for an answer. As the three left the safe house to the dull sounds of clinking plates and muttering voices, he gazed at the rain dampened ground, grass, trees and threatening rain clouds, one thought that ran through his mind was: Thank Irk for paste!
 
They walked in silence for a while, just content to listen as the world awoke around them after the heavy rainstorm. Duo relaxed slowly as he watched the wonder around him, earth maybe a dirty planet of filth at the edge of the galaxy but it had its moments. One would never find a moment like this on such an advanced planet as Irk. Which was sad in a way.
 
The tiny three-room safe house was surrounded but acres upon acres of ancient trees of various species and shades of green. Birds of many breeds where singing their love of flight, life, and being; while squirrels raced through a labyrinth made of branches, twigs and leaves without getting lost and at times pausing to scold interlopers in their hi pitched voices. Duo tried to ignore the squirrels mostly, as the tended to remind him of the stalker human Keef. As the safe house retreated and became lost behind a veil of green so did the sun begin to set.
 
“Whoever the person on the picture is, he must mean a lot to you.” Quatre said softly keeping his tone friendly.
 
Duo blinked at him for a moment before looking down at the picture he was clutching tenderly in his left hand. He knew that his two fellow pilots where curious, but far to polite to pester him about it. This politeness was what made him decide to open up, even if only a little, to them. He vaguely remembered a psychologist human mentioning that talking about problems helped.
 
“His name was Dib,” Duo said softly “He is the greatest friend I have.” He stopped walking and moved the hand holding the picture so the other two could see it, the large headed teenage boy was still smiling internally, his arm around an unseen figure.
 
“Was?” The dark eyed pilot of Shenlong asked “Did he change his name or did he use a false one?”
 
Duo sighed “If only it was, he died.” He said the last in a quiet voice, privately he was proud of himself for not letting his voice quiver. Even three hundred years later it still hurt to admit that Dib was gone. The human who said `Time heals all wounds' was added to the mental To Be Doomed list.
 
Quatre blinked cutely in confusion “But you said is-“
 
The disguised Irken interrupted “Just because he died does not mean he stopped being my friend does it?”
 
The Sandrock pilot fell quiet for a moment before smiling “No, I guess not”
 
Wufei nodded at that “True friends never truly leave if they are not forgotten.” He paused as Duo shot him a large smile
 
“My thoughts exactly!!” he said in his cheery voice “And hew as who I was with these three days, promise not to tell those two bastards?” the two other pilots nodded their agreements “I visit him every year on the anniversary, one day to get there, one day at his g-grave,” his tongue tripped slightly but he pushed on “And one day to return. I don't know why those two are fussing about it! Well okay I can understand Mr. Stick-Up-His-Ass Yuy, but Trowa?”
 
Quatre patted Duo's arm comfortingly “I'll try to pry it out of him later for you. This really isn't like him at all!”
 
Wufei nodded “Let's just hope that Yuy's mannerisms are not contagious.” He glared suddenly as the other two Gundam pilots stared at him in shock. “What?”
 
The braided Irken pointed at him and said in a mock shocked voice “You cracked a joke!” Quatre nodded in shock behind him. A minuet of full silence passed before the three pilots broke into a happy chuckling, then continued down the path.
 
A little while later filled with comfortable silence found the three boys sitting on a hill watching the first stars of evening appear from behind the scattering storm clouds.
 
“Dib used to love watching the stars.” The braided pilot murmured suddenly
 
The other two boys looked at Duo strangely at the comment and the sensitive blond knew that Duo wanted to talk, open up, and perhaps bleed some pain off of this obviously old and festering wound. After a few moments of silence Quatre prodded Duo gently.
 
“How did this Dib die Duo?” Wufei shot him a sharp glare for intruding on their friends past but he ignored him. His space heart was practically screaming that this had to go on.
 
Duo sighed softly but answered truthfully. “He died a senseless and stupid death. It shouldn't of happened, all because of one mans blindness and pig headedness!!” the last came out as a snarl
 
“All sudden deaths of dear ones are seen as senseless at the time.” Quatre said soothingly
 
The snarling tone never waved “I suspect that is true, but what happened to Dib is beyond that word. It wasn't his fault at all either, he was being true to himself, it was the doomed fool of a human ball of filth he called Father.”
 
Wufei sat up startled at the last part and looked at Duo full on. “His father?” he said startled
 
The braided Irken pulled his knees up to his chest, wrapping his arms around them defensively as he explained as much as he could. “Dib's Mother died when he was very little, I don't know how. His Father was a Scientist who was so devoted to his work he forgot about small things like eating, sleeping, and the fact that he had two kids. Dib and his little sister who thankfully escaped that bastard.” He growled something for a moment before continuing. “Dib was into paranormal, ghosts, big foot, hehehe aliens. That kind of thing, he wanted to be a paranormal investigator too. He wanted so much to explore the shady side of the myths of this world, which isn't a bad thing is it?”
 
Quatre frowned “Why would it be? I think it's a bit silly about believing in big foot, but I've always wanted to believe in ghosts.”
 
Wufei sneered, “Believing in such things is foolish, it's even more foolish to pursue them. It's a childish pursuit, but not wrong.” The dark eyed pilot relented
 
Duo chuckled again “What WuWu, don't you believe in aliens and ghosts?”
 
Wufei frowned “Call me by my proper name Maxwell. And I believe in spirits, yes.” The other two nodded, they new he prayed to the spirits of his family “But aliens, hmph, I highly doubt it.”
 
For some reason this seemed to amuse Duo greatly but he didn't comment and went back to his explanation “Well his Father found A LOT wrong with it. Kept calling him his “poor insane son” and kept asking him when he'd give up his insane pursuits and get into REAL science. Would you believe he sent Dib to a insane asylum five times between the ages of ten and 18? All because he wanted to believe in there being more in this world and in others.” He glared murderously into the distance “The people he tried hard so for didn't appreciate him.”
 
Wufei and Quatre gaped at him, but it was Wufei's voice that broke the silence “An insane asylum!?!?! Since he was ten?”
 
Duo nodded “He managed to escape the first time, and three other times. He was wily like that.”
 
The blond pilot shook his head sadly “By his own Father? For believing in the paranormal? That's horrid!”
 
“I agree Quat, but I had no say in the matter.”
 
“What about that sister you mentioned?” Wufei asked
 
“Gaz is younger then Dib and at the time was mostly lost in her own little world. Also it was almost normal, in a sad way, he'd be drag off to a padded cell and a few hours to a night later he'd of snuck out and fighting her for the last slice of pizza. Dib and their Father where just objects in it. I believe its called teen angst. Anyway, the last time that man sent Dib away for not going into Real Science in his footsteps, Dib refused to escape. Even after I went to break him out.”
 
“Why wouldn't he want out?” Quatre asked softly
 
“Because he was wanted more then anything for his father to approve of him and his views so badly. He was hopping that if he stayed in the asylum and was proved sane his father would finally listen to him. I imagine he had the whole thing planned out in his mind complete with rose tinted frames. Though I can't blame him, I suppose all children want the approve of those who birthed them.” Quatre and Wufei nodded slowly “So he refused to go, but what he didn't know was that his father had instructed the Doctors to not let Dib out until all thoughts of the paranormal where out of his mind. His Father held that kind of clout, he was considered a town hero for all those creations of his. Even had his own TV show.” He growled softly in disgust “Couldn't even recognize his own son when he went to visit him there.”
 
Silence fell once more and surprisingly Wufei asked, “How did this Dib die, Duo?”
 
“Drugs wouldn't work on Dib, he was immune to most of them, so they resorted to more primitive methods……. Like electric shock.” Two pairs of eyes widened, such a barbaric thing had been illegal for at least three hundred and fifty years. “That among other, more horrid, treatments is what killed him. He died over the course of five days before his heart finally gave out. And that BASTARD never cared, or even noticed that Dib was dead!!” Duo's fingers dug in his arms so sharply he almost drew blood.
 
Quatre reached out and lightly rested a hand on Duo's arm “I'm sorry Duo, I don't know your Dib, but I do know that no one desired such a fate.”
 
Wufei nodded sharply and would of most likely said something comforting to the braided pilot but suddenly Heero was raising up their little hill.
 
“We have a mission, all of us are required. Briefing starts now.” He showed no reaction to having run a good hour's distance without pause and his voice never rose from its monotone but it had an instant effect. All three pilots where on their feet and racing for the safe house.
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
 
(Somewhere in the most stupid part of the world)
 
The flames roared hungrily, drowning out the sounds of the fire engines as they wound their way through a gravel twisted road, all prepared to fight the raging fire. It would not be an easy fight either. The fire had been roaring through the mental hospital for hours now and had a firm hold. The building was beyond saving already and the fire was sending out sparks aplenty, wishing nothing more but then to spread itself and devour more.
 
Outside the building a small crowed of patents and a few lucky nurses stood staring at the blaze in shock and drugged stupors. Beneath the wail of sirens and the hungry roar of the flames came the dieing tortured shrieks of the Doctors and the unlucky nurses who's cruelty finally caught up to them as the fire ate them alive.
 
A distance away a tall willowy figure was walking unhurriedly away from the scene, a much smaller figure raced around his legs in a hyper fashion. The figure paused suddenly and he looked over his shoulder for a moment, the firelight reflected off of large circular wire framed glasses, making them glow red like a predators. He turned away and looked down at the tiny form.
 
“Find Zim.” A shot heard around the world, two simple words but they changed everything
 
Red eyes glowed obediently as the smaller figure saluted, then those eyes changed to baby blue and a hi pitched voice shrieked “FINALEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!”
 
Zim - *grumbling * And yet another chapter, the Filthy Doomy Earth Writer asks that you review this horrid excuse for a chapter because she is fairly happy with it for some reason……… though there was fire and yelling.
 
SK: I thought you'd like those parts.