Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Dragon Years ❯ Being Alone ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Pairings: ?

Warnings: Wufei's POV, angst, bad words, & violence

Disclaimer: Don't own Gundam Wing

The Dragon Years

AC 198

Year 1: Being Alone

Wufei let out a tired sigh and raked a hand through his loose black hair. Things had not been going to well for the former Gundam pilot and seemed to be getting worse. The last case that he had been working on for the Preventer's had gone wrong because the idiot had killed himself rather then surrender. But what was worse then that was his relationship with his girlfriend Sally Po had fallen flat. At first everything was going fine for them but then for some reason the passion had died. Oh they had tried for months but when nothing came of it they decided to just remain friends. That had been a year ago and since then Wufei had been alone. There had been other females since but for some reason none of them interested him at all. Placing his chin in his hands he gazed across his desk and glanced at the pictures there. One of them was a picture of his deceased wife Merian and the other was of him and the other Gundam pilots. Leaning back in his chair he titled his head and gazed at the stucco ceiling. He often thought about the other four boys and how they were doing. It had been about 2 years since the Mariemeia incident and that was the last time he had seen them. On occasion he heard about Quatre since the blond boy was head of Winner Industries but not about the others. He honestly hoped that they were all doing well and that everything was okay with them. Sometimes at night he wished that they had all kept in touch but then again why would they. They had only been comrades in the war and not really friends at all.

"Wufei?"

Nearly jumping out of his chair Wufei glanced across the room and saw his partner standing in the doorway.

"Hmm what is it Sally?"

"We have a mission."

Standing up he quickly grabbed his jacket and rushed towards her. Firmly pushing his melancholy thoughts away for now he focused his attention on the mission at hand.

*

For the last four days Wufei had been freezing his butt off in a warehouse district on L4. He was posing undercover as a rich businessman looking for some heavy firepower. It had come to the Preventer's attention that an exporter was shipping out illegal Gundanium parts towards building new mobile suits. So far his negotiation attempts were going smoothly and it was only a matter of time before they arrested the culprits.

"So Mr. Yin, I take it that you will need the parts shipped to L1 to a Mr. Yates I believe?"

Gazing at the man before him Wufei nodded his head. The man seemed slightly nervous and insecure. His wire-rim glasses kept sliding down his nose and he kept tapping his foot impatiently. Feeling slightly ill at ease Wufei shrugged it off and narrowed his almond shaped eyes slightly.

"Yes it is Mr. Baley. I will send you the coordinates to your people and except it to be there in 2 weeks time."

"Aw yes it wil….."

The warehouse doors flew open with a bang and a tall fat man walked into the room.

"Baley I am going to kill you, ya ass hole."

Wufei had jumped into a defensive stance when the doors had opened like that and he felt his unease return. The fat man seemed out of it and was raving at Baley like a lunatic. From what he could tell Baley appeared to be even more nervous then before and was stammering back to the man. Deciding that he had enough information to nail the scumbag to the wall Wufei decided to call his partner Sally for back up.

"Hey you what the hell are you doing?"

Glancing calmly towards the bigger man Wufei shrugged his shoulders and smirked slightly. It was just his luck that fat man would pay attention to him now.

"Trying to finish my business deal that you interrupted is all."

"What? Why you little….."

Just as the fat man was about to attack him Wufei noticed Baley pull out a gun and fire. The fat man went down with a scream and then all was quiet. Turning to face Baley, Wufei noticed the man had a crazy gleam in his eyes.

"Finally got to kill that punk ass. Damn and now I have a witness."

"Calm down Baley, I am not your enemy remember? I just want to make the deal and get out of here without any trouble."

Baley seemed indecisive about the whole situation. Deciding this was his chance to act Wufei rushed the man and lashed out. His foot hit the man in the chest and his hand the arm that was holding the gun. Baley flew in the air and slammed into some crates behind him. Glancing down at the gun Wufei reached into his coat pocket and radioed Sally.

"The bird has sung his last song and now its time to clean house."

"Roger that, the Calvary is coming home to roost."

Wufei closed his eyes slightly and let out a relieved sigh. The mission was finally over and he could finally leave this ratty hole in the wall. Walking towards Baley to cuff the man, he felt a horrible pain and let out a slight gasp. Half turning around he saw that the fat man was grinning at him insanely and was gripping a gun.

"Bang bang little man."

Falling down to one knee Wufei watched as the fat man suddenly went limp and the gun clattered to the floor. Cursing himself for several kinds of fools, he felt everything slowly grow dark and the last thing he heard was someone screaming his name.

*

Waking up in a hospital really sucked especially when you were gazing at a cracked ceiling. Wufei shifted on the bed restlessly and let out a half groan of pain. For the past few days he had been stuck here and was slowly recovering. The bullet had pierced a lung and almost hit his heart. If the fat man had been a better shot he would be a dead man or so he had been told. The informed him that it would be about a month or so before he could be on active duty again. Of course Lady Une and Sally had agreed and told him to take a vacation until he was well enough to return. Ignoring his grumbling that he was fine, the two women had told him to rest and had left. That had been yesterday and since then he had been growing bored. Feeling impatient Wufei struggled out of bed and ignored the twinge of pain. It was time for him to leave this place and head home. Changing into his white garments and throwing the rest of his things in a bag he quickly left the room. Arriving at the nurse's station several minutes later and ignoring their protests he signed himself out. Arriving outside a few minutes later he let out a relieved sigh and started to walk away. He headed over to were some taxi's were parked on got in one.

"Were to Mister?"

"To the Preventer's Barracks please."

Leaning against the leather seat Wufei let out a tired sigh and gazed out the window. He wondered what he should do since he had been no choice but to go on vacation. There wasn't anywhere he really wanted to go and he had no family to visit either. Sometimes he wondered if maybe it would have been better to die with his clan on L5 or maybe in the wars. At least then he wouldn't feel so alone as he did now.

"Hey Mister we have arrived."

Paying the man his money Wufei stepped out of the taxi and walked quickly towards the apartment buildings. It was a large complex with about 300 rooms and split into two buildings. Showing the gateman his ID he walked past him and headed for his room on the second floor. Once inside he let out a relieved sigh and leaned against the door. His room was a studio with just a small room, kitchen, and bathroom. It only contained a single bed, a computer, a TV, a small shrine in the corner, and a few other things. Dropping his bag on the floor and removing his shoes he headed towards the bed and laid down with a tired sigh. His chest ached horribly but he didn't feel like taking the pain pills the doctor prescribed him. Closing his eyes he just relaxed there for a time before the vid phone began to ring. Grumbling slightly he rolled onto his side and pushed the button. The screen popped on and he let out a slight gasp of surprise.

"Hello Wufei how are you?"

"I am fine Quatre."

The blond hair boy was gazing at him and his blue eyes seemed worried. He wondered why he was calling him after all this time but then again at the same time he was happy to hear from him as well.

"I heard from Sally that you had been hurt and was just checking to see if you were okay."

Raking a hand through his loose black hair Wufei silently cursed the woman for her interference. Of course the other boy wouldn't call just out of the blue for nothing and he felt his melancholy return again.

"I am fine Quatre. Um look I have to go now ok?"

"Oh ok Wufei I am sorry for disturbing you."

"Its alright bye Quatre."

Before the other boy could say anything else Wufei reached over and shut off the vid screen. Sinking his hands into his hair he gazed down at the brown rug and sighed softly. Somehow the phone call made him feel even more alone then before and he felt tears fill his eyes. Closing his eyes he let them slide down his cheeks and cried for the first time since his clan and Treize had died.

*

Sitting in a shuttlecraft a week later Wufei gazed out into space and closed his black eyes. There really wasn't much left of the L5 colony except a few pieces of scraps. Since the war had ended a need to clean up space had been ordered by the new government and so salvage operations had been commissioned. He wasn't too sure why he had come here but then again he had no were else to really go. Since his phone call from Quatre all he had felt was a deep sadness that just wouldn't go away. Shoving those thoughts away he decided to head for L4 and to refill his shuttle and maybe relax there for a few days. It took several hours for him to arrive at the colony and now he was just strolling around. Holding his bag in one hand Wufei strolled around looking for a decent hotel to stay in for a few days. He was slightly startled when a hand settled on his shoulder and grasping the hand he neatly flipped the person over him. It hurt his chest slightly to do it since he wasn't completely healed but he quickly ignored the pain. Looking down at his feet he was shocked to see a long chestnut braid and the pain filled Cobalt eyes gazing up at him.

"Oi Wufei did ya have to flip me like that. Geez man that hurt."

"Not that you didn't deserve it Duo."

"Thanks Heero so nice of you to care."

Gazing back over his shoulder Wufei saw cold Prussian blue eyes gazing at him through messy dark brown hair. He was astonished to see Heero and Duo on this particular colony and he felt a bit happy to see them. They both didn't look too much different although it appeared that they had grown a little and had more muscle on them. Both of them were wearing blue jeans and Duo had on a black t-shirt, while Heero had on a white one.

"So Wufei how have ya been man? And could you help me up?"

After helping the braided boy to his feet he just shrugged his shoulders and said fine. The two boys were watching him intensively for some reason and it was making him nervous.

"What is it?"

Heero elbowed Duo who in turned glared at him before letting out a sigh.

"Why did you hang up on Quatre, Wufei? He was really concerned about you as were we all."

Cocking an eyebrow at them he just shrugged his shoulders slightly. He wondered why they even cared about him since none of them were even friends.

"I had something to attend to Maxwell. I didn't mean to offend Winner and will apologize later."

He waited for them to say something else but they just kept staring at him for some reason. Suddenly feeling tired he raised one hand and rubbed absently at his chest. The pain had returned again and he knew he needed to find somewhere to rest and take his medication.

"If that is all then I need to go."

Turning around he was about to walk away when a hand reached out and grasped his arm. Glancing back he noticed it was Heero this time that had grabbed him. Feeling a deep bone weariness Wufei just wanted to get away from them. They just made him remember feeling alone and melancholy again.

"What is it Yuy?"

"You're coming with us."

"Why?"

Duo stepped forward and smiled at him. Reaching over he grasped his shoulder lightly and gave it a friendly squeeze.

"Because we want you to and you are our friend Wufei."

Wufei was startled by this announcement and didn't know what to say. Feeling angry for no reason he wrenched himself out there grasp and stepped back a few paces. He saw astonishment appear on their faces and smiled coldly.

"Friends Duo? We are not friends at all and I kindly advise you two to leave me alone."

Wufei watched, as Cobalt eyes filled with tears and Prussian blue got even colder. He felt happiness at their pain and yet ashamed as well. So many emotions were running through his head at the moment that he just felt so confused. He wondered why after all this time they were trying to be his friends and at the same time why was he throwing it away.

"Bullshit Wufei we have always been friends but you just never noticed."

"Not true Maxwell."

"It is true Wufei you just always wanted to be alone and not have anyone get close to you at all."

Wufei glared at Duo and felt some of his confusion beginning to clear. Apart of him wondered if that was the truth but he ruthlessly shoved it away.

"Duo is right Wufei. You are just like me in some ways. Always wanting to be alone because it's easier that way then letting someone in. And yet having friends can be more rewarding and can help chase the loneliness away."

He was startled at what Heero said and that maybe it was true. Gazing from one to the other he turned his back to them and begin to walk away.

"When you have figured it all out Chang Wufei then come back to L4 we will all be waiting."

Gazing back over his shoulder again he noticed that Heero had his arm around Duo's waist and they were both watching him. Letting out a sigh he turned and walked away. He never saw how Duo began to cry or the sad expression on Heero's face. Maybe if he did he would have turned back and went to them or maybe not.

*