Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Matchmaker ❯ Unfinished Business ( Chapter 17 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: The Matchmaker 17/20?Author: Makoto SagaraSeries: Gundam WingArchive: the usual suspects (ffnet, affnet, Foreverfandom, my site, mediaminer, my update LJ, and the D&DML on yahoo); anywhere else, please ask first.Category: Supernatural, Angst, Romance, and SapPairings: Eventual 2x5x2, 3x4x3, and 1xRx1Rating: M (this chapter) Warnings: Shonen ai, language, angst, sap, het, supernatural dealings, action (this chapter), some torture and blood, violence, deathDisclaimers: Yeah, like I own Gundam Wing. (Goes off to cry, but not before turning out pockets) I am poor as well. Flames will be used to amuse my muses. They are easily entertained, but highly obnoxious.A/N: Sorry that my updating has taken so long. I got sucked into writing Harry Potter for a while and then there was that Fest fic that had a deadline. *shudder* I don’t know why I did that. Thanks to Yuki for pushing me to write something else while stressed and to Jokes for the awesome beta job, as always!
Chapter Seventeen – Unfinished Business
Relena sighed as Rashid, Shariff and Akil walked her to the limo that was waiting to take her to Heathrow. By now, the former Gundam Pilots would be in Paris, getting ready to start the operation to take down Noventa. She grimaced as she thought about her boyfriend and their friends in danger.
“Is there something wrong, Ms. Peacecraft?” Rashid asked as the car pulled away from the hotel.
“No, not really, Rashid,” she answered quietly. “I’m just worried.”
“I understand. When Master Quatre explained the situation, I tried to convince him to let me send some of the Maguanacs, but he and Master Trowa were quite adamant that they and the rest of the pilots would be sufficient for this mission.” The tall Arab man scowled. “I didn’t tell him that I sent ten of the others to his house outside of Paris. He will be angry at me for doing so without his permission, but that is why I did not tell him.”
“Have I told you lately how much I love you, Rashid?”
“No, Ms. Peacecraft, but I will keep that in mind the next time that the Master and his friends do something potentially dangerous and stupid.” She gave the man a small smile. “If you’d like to rest until we arrive at the airport, I will wake you when we get there.”
“Thank you, Rashid,” she said, feeling lighter as she took his advice and closed her eyes. She’d need all the rest she could get while in Geneva and dealing with the rest of the politicians. Perhaps she’d even forgive Heero for abandoning her while he went off since Quatre lent her Rashid and all his thoughtfulness.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Quatre quietly assessed their captor as the car pulled away from the train station in Calais. Nigel Noventa appeared to be about thirty or so, with straight brown hair cut conservatively and brown eyes that held a nearly fanatical gleam that set Quatre’s sense of self-preservation into overdrive. They were the eyes of a man who was sure he was doing the right thing and would stop at nothing to get his objective accomplished. He’d seen that look in many of the troops of OZ and Romefeller, including Une a time or ten, and it was the same look he’d worn when he’d been building Wing Zero after his father’s death. He could feel the hatred and excitement coming off the other man in waves.
‘Duo, can you hear me?’ he thought, sparing a look at his friend, who nodded wearily. ‘Noventa’s not sane. Look at his eyes. We have to get him. He won’t stop with us, you know.’ Duo nodded again, closing his large violet eyes for a moment. ‘Can you read his mind?’ Duo nodded a third time, a look of disgust crossing his face. ‘Not a fun place, I take it.’ Duo shook his head and Noventa shoved his gun back behind the driver’s seat, aimed at Heero this time, as the car stopped at a red light.
“Ah, ah, 04 and 02, no silent communication between the specials,” he said in a sing-song voice. “Otherwise, I’ll be forced to shoot 01, and I’m sure Queen Relena wants her boy-toy back in one piece.”
“We are not foolish enough to think that you would let us go unharmed,” Wufei snarled as he wrapped an arm around Duo’s waist protectively. Quatre could feel the hatred, love, anxiety and possessiveness that Wufei exuded in bright flashes.
“I’m glad that you’re showing signs of intelligence, 05, but I’m not really surprised,” Noventa continued in his sing-song tone. “Although, I should have known better. You always have been a smart boy, haven’t you, Mr. Chang?”
Wufei glared at Noventa, and Quatre watched as the man’s smile slipped a few degrees into something that appeared nervous. ‘Well, he’s not as stupid as he appears. Although, anyone with brains in their head knows it’s actually Duo when he’s smiling that you need to watch out for. Hm, but Trowa, Heero and Wufei do make impressive decoys.’ The blond looked at Duo, who flashed him a manic smile.
Quatre slowly put his hands on his thighs as he continued to stare ahead, watching as the business section of the city melted into residential buildings. ‘Duo, we’re headed towards the suburbs. That would put us somewhere between Calais and Paris. There’s only about fifty or sixty kilometers between them.’ He could feel the surprise and joy flash from his long-haired friend and couldn’t help but give a small grin himself. They were relatively close to Preventers Headquarters. Wufei knew the terrain, and Duo was pissed and near maniacal. ‘Oh, Noventa is fucked, right?’ The nod he got in return felt like hope.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Duo hid a grimace behind his joker’s mask, something that he was glad he’d retained from the wars. That bastard Noventa seemed to think that Duo was being friendly, and he wanted to laugh at the man’s stupidity.
Wufei’s arm was still wrapped around his waist, and the Chinese man’s body heat helped him ignore the way his leg was beginning to throb from the awkward position their kidnapper had forced him into and the fact that he was sitting on his braid. He leaned heavily into the other man’s side, trying to soak up as much comfort as he could in this situation.
He knew that Noventa and his men were looking more at Heero, Trowa and Wufei than him and Quatre, and he could tell from the blond’s thoughts that they should take advantage of that fact. It felt odd to try and hide his lanky, nearly six-foot frame with Wufei’s slim, five-foot, six-inch body, but it worked. Wufei’s anger made the Chinese man feel bigger physically than he was, and Duo was extremely grateful for it and that he had no clue what Wufei was repeating to himself in Cantonese. It was probably better he didn’t know anyway.
Of course, Quatre had it easy, since Trowa had six inches, forty pounds, and all that hair for the smaller Arab man to use to disguise his scary insanity behind. His tall European friend was blank – both in mind and facial features. Duo knew that was when Trowa was his deadliest. He didn’t have to think to kill. He just did it.
And Heero, even though he was only five-foot, ten inches and would never be anything but “athletic” when described physically, seemed to take up more room in the back of the car than any of the thugs Noventa had hired. The fact that he hadn’t talked yet didn’t really mean anything so far, but Duo could hear him planning possible escape routes and taking inventory of what weapons he had on his person. It would only take one touch from any of their enemies before they were faced with The Perfect Soldier.
Duo wanted to begin laughing until he cried.
Noventa and his men were so fucked.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
The car stopped and Heero obeyed the order to get out of the car. Wordlessly, he turned to help Duo get out of the car, but was stopped by a sharp shake of the American’s head. Chang left the vehicle and then turned, took one of Duo’s hands and began pulling, despite Duo’s protests.
“I can get out the fucking car by myself, Wufei,” Duo snarled as he leaned against the side of the SUV while Quatre and Trowa followed their braided friend.
Something was off with the way that Quatre was practically shielding himself behind Trowa and how Duo was using Wufei to stand between him and the thugs. Heero looked at his best friend and frowned. He could see the sharp gleam in Duo’s wide eyes, the obvious pain laced with amusement that Heero had seen repeatedly during the wars. It was then that it clicked. ‘You and Quatre have a plan, don’t you?’ Duo nodded at him briefly. ‘Do you want me to hold Wufei back while you both act?’ Another nod. ‘Ryokai.’
“Well, gentlemen, if you would be so kind as to join me inside this lovely warehouse, then we can get down to business,” Noventa said kindly, putting Heero’s hackles up.
“Listen, Nigel ol’ boy, none of us believe that you have a decent bone in your body, so you might as well cut the act,” Duo said as he pushed away from the black vehicle and limped his way towards the building with his own strange, feline grace.
“02, I really don’t care what you think, to be honest,” Noventa said as he shoved his gun into the American’s back. Heero managed to pull Wufei back in time to keep him from jumping their kidnapper. He looked over at the Preventer and shook his head minutely. When he shot his eyes towards Duo and then Quatre, he could see something click in the shorter man’s face and he scowled furiously.
“You only plan to kill us, Noventa,” Quatre added sharply. Heero had to smother the urge to twitch. How Trowa could stand so close to the blond when he sounded like that, he couldn’t fathom. Heero, himself, was trying desperately not to think about space and then the long trip to Sanq and their meeting with Dorothy Catalonia. “You’ll have to forgive us if we call bullshit on your overly friendly behaviour.”
“Yes, you’re absolutely correct, 04,” the armed man said before turning to his hired muscle. “Search them for weapons now.”
One by one, the pilots were searched and relieved of their weapons, which weren’t that impressive, considering what they used to carry on them during the wars. A few pistols and a sheathed knife from Quatre were all that they found. Heero looked at the paltry assortment and wondered just how many knives Duo and Trowa had hidden. While his own pistol and back-up side arm were all of the actual weapons Heero kept on him, he knew that he could probably kill one of the thugs if pushed. The same held true for Wufei as well.
“I said search them for weapons, not feel up 04, you moron,” Noventa snapped, causing the muscle that was searching Quatre to flush and jump back.
“Don’t worry, friend,” Quatre said with nearly no inflection in his voice. “You’re hardly my type.”
“Oh, we’re all aware of what your type is, 04,” Noventa said, backhanding Quatre across his face with his gun. Both Wufei and Heero lunged for Trowa, who’d attempted to wrap his strong hands around Noventa’s throat while the thugs all turned their guns on the taller pilot. Heero spared a look at the now ignored Duo, who was wearing a cold, brittle smile. It was enough for the former Wing pilot, who stepped back and dragged his friends with him as Duo and Quatre both leapt upon Noventa. With a blink of an eye, Trowa and Wufei were exchanging blows with the two thugs who’d remained silent throughout the entire trip. Heero turned to the other man, the first, and readied himself.
As the darker man cocked the hammer of his pistol – a rather stupid weapon for him to have in the age of cheap automatic guns – Heero gave a slight smile and dropped to his knees, kicked out and watched as his opponent crumbled to the ground. Suddenly, J’s words from so many years ago came to the front of his mind. ‘You can take down the biggest man by shattering his knee, young Heero Yuy. Remember that not all battles are fought with guns and swords and you may just live through the wars.’
His target appeared to have gotten over the shock of having his legs kicked out from under him and was aiming for Heero again when the Japanese man kicked out, his foot connecting with the other man’s head this time with a resounding snap before he slumped to the ground. Not caring if he’d killed the man or not, Heero looked over at Wufei and Trowa, to find them tying the hired thugs they’d fought with together with the zip ties that Wufei dug out of his jacket pocket.
Noventa’s ‘help’ taken care of, Heero and his two friends turned around to check up on Duo and Quatre. And quickly looked away again.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Wufei stared at his tied up captor and had to hold back the vicious glee he felt over the fact that he’d lost none of his hand-to-hand combat skills while being a Preventer. He looked over at Barton to find the European snapping his ‘captor’s’ fingers one by one. The normally composed and steady Trowa looked as if he could happy kill the man he was leaning over, and the harsh look in the normally chilly green eyes had Wufei wondering what universe he’d stepped into.
It was with great reluctance, however, that he stepped over to his friend to stop him. “Barton, if you kill him, I’ll have to handle the paperwork, and you’ll have to baby-sit Duo,” he said gently into the other man’s ear, waiting. “And I’ll make sure that he’s had some of Winner’s coffee beforehand.”
Wufei could tell when his words reached his friend and held back a sigh of relief. He reached into his jacket pocket and pulled out another zip tie so that Barton could secure the man he still held down bodily. It was then he turned to see Yuy kick the head goon in the chin and watched the man’s head snap back with a sickening crunch that Wufei knew meant more paperwork.
As one, the three pilots turned to the other two members of their group, and Wufei had to smother the rush of horror that swept through him. Blood marred their normally sweet-looking faces, and there was blood in Duo’s thigh-length braid, and the face of the man they’d attacked as one was unrecognizable.
“Duo, you have to let him go,” Wufei shouted, catching the braided man’s eyes and shaking his head. He turned to Barton, who appeared to be smiling as he watched the two unstable men. “Barton, get Winner. Yuy, assist me with Duo.”
“I think you should just them kill him, truthfully, Wufei,” Barton said, not making a move to stop the blond. “I’m sure there’s less paperwork involved if he dies than if he goes to trial.”
“Yes, but if he dies, we lose the link to Grumman, and Une wants him more,” Wufei snarled.
“And do you think that Noventa can’t just buy his way to freedom and come back after us all?” Barton asked; his voice anything but the calm and level tones Wufei was used to hearing from the other man.
“No, and I really wish I could let him die, but I can’t! So, either you help me stop them, or I have you arrested for manslaughter!”
“Chang, help me,” Yuy snapped as he made his way towards Duo slowly. The braided head popped up sharply, and Wufei took a deep breath to keep in the fear he felt at meeting what he could only assume was Duo’s ferocious persona, Shinigami.
TBC
Aff.net review replies can be found at: http://makochanupdates.livejournal.com/23949.html