Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Matchmaker ❯ New Jobs for Old Pros ( Chapter 20 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Title: The Matchmaker 20/20Author: Makoto SagaraSeries: Gundam WingArchive: the usual suspects (ffnet, affnet, Foreverfandom, my site, mediaminer, my update LJ, and the D&DML on yahoo); anywhere else, please ask first.Category: Supernatural, Angst, Romance, and SapPairings: 2x5x2, 3x4x3, and 1xRx1Rating: T+ Warnings: Shonen ai, language, angst, sap, het, supernatural dealingsDisclaimers: Yeah, like I own Gundam Wing. (Goes off to cry, but not before turning out pockets) I am poor as well. Flames will be used to amuse my muses. They are easily entertained, but highly obnoxious.A/N: Wow, after so long, it’s over. I don’t know whether to strut around like a proud peacock or sob like a baby. I feel like doing both, to be honest. First, thank you to everyone who’s reviewed over the years. Your kind words and encouragement are the reason I even pushed myself to finish this. Secondly, thank you, Sahira, for such a cute bunny and allowing me to warp it how I wanted. Third thank you goes to Yuki. You know why. Fourth thank you goes to Raintenshi for pushing me to finish the damn story after so long. And last, but certainly not least, thank you, Jokes. You’ve been totally awesome through this whole ordeal.

Chapter Twenty – New Jobs for Old Pros

One Year Later –

“Really, ‘Ro,” Duo said, sighing heavily as he readjusted his best friend’s cummerbund for the third time in less than a minute. “Why ‘Lena wants to marry you, I’ll never know. You’re a mess. Even Wufei can wear his tuxedo better than this.”

“Because she got tired of having to dance around with his stupidity,” Quatre offered, rolling a brush over Heero’s tuxedo jacket to get all the lint that collected on the black fabric. “Besides, who else is going to protect her as fiercely? I mean, no one else we know is willing to rush out into space to protect her from scary children and creepy old men like Heero.”

“That’s rather callous of you, love,” Trowa said as he wrapped his arms around the small blond’s waist. “We all know that Heero and Relena are crazy for each other, even if Heero still needs some translation from time to time.”

“Hey, don’t look at me,” Duo said jokingly, all eyes on him. “I can only tell you what he’s thinking. Not why. He still has the market on that.”

“Duo, you still require translation from time to time,” Wufei said from the room’s door, smiling happily at his lover. “You are in no condition to offer that service for others.”

“If you are all done talking about me while I’m standing right here,” Heero deadpanned, “I believe that I have a wedding to attend.”

“Way to sound excited there, ‘Ro,” Duo teased.

“It is not too late to ask Wufei or Trowa to be my best man, Duo,” Heero said with the smallest of smiles. You know that I didn’t want this huge mess, idiot.

Duo swooned, slapping a hand to his chest theatrically. “You’re a bastard, you know that, Heero.”

The Japanese pilot shrugged. It was more than likely a valid point. His parents were unknown. He didn’t even know if he had a name, aside from the ones that Odin and J had given him. So, Duo’s comment was really nothing to him. All that matter was that somewhere in this church he and the other pilots were standing in was the woman he loved and it was his wedding day. “Any news on Relena’s side, Chang?”

“Peacecraft is ordering around the women, and her brother appears ready to strangle her,” Wufei offered with a shake of his head. “And the priest said it’s time for us to take our places.”

“Okay, boys, let’s get this show on the road,” Duo said, taking Wufei’s arm and leading the way out of the room.

“You’d never know that he still suffers from the telepathy,” Quatre said as he and the other two made to follow their friends.

Trowa smiled quietly. “It’s been a year, and Wufei told me last week that Duo’s learn to filter things out now that he’s using it on a more constant basis.”

“Relena’s been mentioning stealing him away from Une,” Heero muttered. “I’m not sure how successful she’s going to be though. Une can be very intimidating.”

“Your bride has her moments,” Quatre joked as they made their way to the front of the large crowd. “Ready?”

“As I’ll ever be,” Heero answered, taking his spot next to Duo before the Wedding March started up. I can’t wait for this all be over and done with. A lot of to-do with very little to show for it, he thought, ignoring Duo’s snickering at his side. You’d better stop laughing, Duo, or Relena will have your head. The snickering died quickly, and Heero couldn’t help but smile before his full attention was grabbed by the sight of Relena on the arm of Milliardo as they strolled down the aisle towards them.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“It was a beautiful wedding,” Duo said as he laid his head on Wufei’s shoulder as they sprawled on the couch in their living room.

“It was very Western,” Wufei said nonchalantly.

“So, it was nothing like yours?”

“Not a thing,” the Chinese man said calmly as he ran his hand up and down Duo’s thick, shiny braid. “For one, Heero and Relena chose to get married. I did not.”

“You never talk about her.” Duo turned up his heart-shaped face, and Wufei could feel his heart beat madly in his chest as he stared at his lover. “Why is that, ‘Fei?”

“It’s not a subject I like to dwell on, Duo.”

He knew he was in trouble with those perfectly full lips turned into a mischievous smile. “No, I can see you like to dwell on my ass, you giant pervert.”

“Yes, well, even with you now at a desk job, you’ve still managed to retain your…” Wufei licked his lips lasciviously, “…girlish figure.”

“Oh, fuck you, Wufei,” Duo snapped, pulling away to pout. “You’re doing no better as a trainer of…what was it you said? The recruits are all ‘obnoxious, wet-eared twats that couldn’t find their own asses with the help of their two neighbors’.” The American snorted. Wufei had forgotten that he’d said that about the trainees, but it was very accurate for most of them.

“Would you rather that Trowa and I be called off-planet for a mission then?” Wufei asked, pulling Duo’s hands from where he held them tightly against his thin chest. “Une’s said she has something coming up for us, in that case.”

“How long?” Duo asked, feeling like a Gundanium statue in Wufei’s arms. “How dangerous?”

“I don’t know, and adequately if she’s asking Trowa and I to take the mission.” When the American refused to soften even a little, Wufei knew it was a lost cause. “It’s not like the last time, Duo.”

“That’s what you said then,” Duo said, jumping up from the couch and pulling at the bowtie still at his throat. “And you came back with a broken arm and Trowa had a concussion! You weren’t the one who had to calm Quatre down from trying to strangle Une and your suspects. It took both Relena and me to keep him from trying to flay Une alive!”

“Duo, injuries happen,” Wufei said calmly, knowing that any show of anger would just feed into his lover’s fear. Duo, listen to me. He was rewarded by the most gut-wrenching expression of pain on the other man’s normally smiling face. “I will try my hardest to not get injured, but you know that’s not always how things happen.”

“I know,” Duo whispered, yanking the tie away from his throat finally with a violent tug. “That doesn’t mean that I enjoy waiting here, like some dutiful wife. I’m stuck wondering if something’s going to happen to you. Besides, I hate sleeping in that bed alone.”

Wufei wanted to be angry at the sense of guilt that was welling up in his belly like sour bile, but the tears that shone in Duo’s expressive eyes caught him. “Duo,” he said, getting up from the couch and taking the other man’s calloused hands, rubbing his fingers against the long, nimble digits that brought him so much pleasure, “I need you to understand me.”

“I do understand, ‘Fei,” Duo whispered, slipping his arms around Wufei’s waist and burying his head in his lover’s chest. “I just hate feeling useless.”

“You are hardly useless, Duo,” Wufei said, holding onto the man in his arms tightly. “In three weeks, Noventa  and Grumman go up for trial. You, Winner, Yuy and Peacecraft have been called as witnesses.” He placed a kiss on the chestnut hair that tickled his chin. “Barton and I will try our best to return before then. I’m sure that I have been called up to testify as well, even though Une denies it adamantly.”

“She can’t afford to have her best agents for covert missions have their faces plastered all over the Earth Sphere’s news cycles,” Duo muttered.

“Be that as it may, I will not let you go through that alone.” Please believe me.

“I do. I know, ‘Fei,” was the muffled reply Duo gave.

“In the meantime, you have cases of your own, yes? You’re Une’s favourite person in the entire office and her star investigator.”

Duo nodded reluctantly. “But I don’t want to think about that right now.”

“What do you want to think about then?”

“Don’t want to think,” the American said, tilting his head up to capture Wufei’s lips in a heated kiss that made everything else disappear.

I could do this forever, Wufei thought happily as he carried the other man to their shared bedroom.

“I’m going to hold you to that, ‘Fei,” Duo replied before letting out a shout as Wufei tossed him onto the bed.

The End
Aff . net review replies can be found at: http://makochanupdates.livejournal.com/23949.html