Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ The Problem With Essays ❯ The Problem WIth Essays ( One-Shot )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

title: The Problem With Essays
part: 1/1
status: complete
date: January 2006
 
author: Thanatos_Aire
contact: death.in.a.box13 @gmail.com
 
genre: Shin Kidou Senki Gundam Wing
rating: G
warnings: silliness, bit o' bashing
 
cast: 2552 friendship
notes: Don't get me wrong, I love D-chan as much as the next person, so don't throw a hissy fit `cause I wrote Fei thinking badly about him in this fic.
blurb: Part of the Go Figure Arc. For Caldyphen, who was the first person to give me a review on FFN.
 
trailer: Wufei catches Duo doing homework.
disclaimer: I don't own, claim to own, or make profit off of any canon elements
 
___________________________________________________
 
Wufei blinked.
 
“Could you repeat that, Maxwell?”
 
“I said,” he replied good-naturedly, not looking up, “I'm doin' homework but if you wanna take me away for a bit that's fine.”
 
The Chinese pilot blinked again. Brows knitted he said, “Homework.”
 
Duo glanced up with a lopsided smirk. “Yeah. You know, work you do at home. For school.”
 
Wufei sputtered. “Did they threaten to kick you out if you didn't? Never in the past three years have I seen you do schoolwork, Maxwell!”
 
He got a shrug. “It's no big deal. I thought it'd be cool to do.” The braided teen turned back to his scribbles, his notebook covered in crossed-out and underlined passages.
 
After a moment, Wufei found his voice. “What… what class is it for?”
 
“Lit.” Duo answered nonchalantly.
 
“Oh. Did you need any help?” Wufei asked, “I studied literature ardently, before and during the war and still… Perhaps I could be of assistance?”
 
The braided teen shook his head. “Naw, that's alright. I understand it all well enough. `Sides, we gotta write an essay `n' so... you know.”
 
He nodded, understanding. “An essay on what?” Wufei pulled a chair up to the kitchen counter where the American was working.
 
Duo grinned up at him and scooted over to give the shocked teen some more room. “An interpretative essay on a work we read in class. It's gotta be seven-fifty words long and we havta follow this box-structure outlined in the grammar textbook, with a bunch o' sources to back up the topic.” He pushed a packet of papers across the counter towards Wufei, who picked them up and flipped through the instructions.
 
The Chinese teen blinked and wondered how he had read the other boy so wrong. He pulled closer a series of photocopies from a book, skimming through to find passages highlighted in varied colours with a key -- paraphrased, direct quote, referred to…
 
“See, this is the work I chose. It was our novel for the semester.” Duo rummaged through his piling while still writing, and handed him a dog-eared copy of Treasure Island. “I've read it before but that's okay `cause I like it. Must be `cause I grew up on L-2.” He shrugged and continued, proudly, “I'm almost done with the paper though. All I gotta do is my conclusion and bibliography, but for now, I'm proofreading it `cause I admit I can't spell worth beans.”
 
“I'm surprised, Maxwell.” Wufei commented. “I admit, I never thought you were intelligent enough to pay attention in class, let alone write something like this in your spare time…”
 
The American grinned some more. “Eh, it's not too hard. It helps that I found a great subject to write about.”
 
Wufei shook his head, amazed, his respect for the manic idiot growing exponentially. “What's your topic?”
 
The boisterous grin widened. “Why pirates and ninjas should be friends but can't.”
 
“Maxwell!” Wufei groaned, his bubble of hope shattered.
 
___________________________________________________
 
owari