Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Through The Eyes ❯ The Clothes We Wear ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Gundam Wing or anyone in it…I know who does, but it sure ain't me.
 
The Clothes We Wear
 
He's fidgeting again. I wonder if he realizes out uncomfortable he really looks. We've been partners for three years now and that uniform still looks ridiculous on him. I can't say the same for Yuy. It fits him somehow. But Wu Fei? I've never seen him comfortable in anything.
 
During the war he wore white. Oh I know why. I didn't then, but I do now. Still, I could tell as much as he meant it, it just didn't fit the child I saw. A little boy playing soldier. As much as he believed in what he was doing… Well that is the past isn't it? I'm not the first to comment on how truly young they were then. I doubt I'll be the last one either.
 
He disappeared for a while after the war. I had hoped he had gone and found some kind of life for himself. Sadly, the next time I saw him, he was in that ridiculous Mariamaia Army uniform. Those shorts… it took a lot for me not to burst out laughing at that one. I'm sure he thought he looked dignified. I think he just looked…Well I'm not sure, but it was a bad look. I'm glad he burned it.
 
Then he joined Preventers. I know I'm the one who asked. I thought, at the time, it would be good for him. I assumed he needed the soldier's regimen. I was truly happy for him when he accepted my offer. And for awhile, it seemed to be just that. But there are days, now, that I question the wisdom of pulling him back into this kind of life.
 
It's more than the clothes, I guess. He's a bright young man who could be so much more. Yes he's a brilliant agent. One of our top field agents, in fact. But something in me says he's wasting away here. I can't completely put my finger on it, but it's not right.
 
The stiff collars. The ties. There's more there than meets the eye. As much as he scoffs at the paperwork that tends to gather on his desk, I could see him more in a library than an office. He has a scholars mind for many things. He tries to hide it behind his badge, but its there for those that look.
 
I've tried getting him to take some time off. Or even go to college and get a real degree. Preventers has a great scholarship program for its agents. I know for a fact that Commander Une had the boys in mind when she set it up. If only we could get one of them, besides Maxwell, to take advantage of it. Especially my stubborn partner.
 
Oh don't get me wrong. Duo is doing so well in school. He's going to make one hell of a child physiologist one day. I'm glad he'll be officially leaving the service upon graduation. That manic grin of his has never looked more real in all the time I've known him.
 
I'd like to see that kind of contentment in Wu Fei's eyes. I wouldn't ask for a smile. That, I believe, is well beyond him. But to see some of the stone leave those dark orbs…or at least some loosing of that damnable tie…