Gundam Wing Fan Fiction ❯ Time, Fault and Out ❯ Chapter 22 ( Chapter 22 )

[ X - Adult: No readers under 18. Contains Graphic Adult Themes/Extreme violence. ]

Disclaimer: I don't own the G'boys, I just borrow them from time to time to play with and return them a whole lot happier, ne?
 
Rating: NC 17
 
 
Pairings: 1x2x1, 3x4
 
Warnings: AU, OOC, Lemon, Yaoi, Angst, Fluff, Sap, Vet themes.
 
Summary: Set 2 years after Equinity. Heero is now riding for the Kushrenada stable as well as attempting to qualify Zero for the Nations Cup team and ultimately his dream of riding at the Olympic games. But life is never an easy ride.
 
Notes: All the information on showjumping, horses, etc is taken from my own knowledge of the sport having been a competitor and now judge for many years and is written from an Australian perspective. The rules and regulations are courtesy of the E.F.A Handbook. (Equestrian Federation of Australia) Should you have any questions just e-mail me.
 
Fic 2 in the "Equine Intervention" Arc.
 
Dedication: To Klingonpoodle who gave me the plot bunny for the first fic and has since supplied my muse with its own plot bunny farm, and to 'Teddy Bear' my own courageous little showjumper whom Zero is based upon.
 
 
"Time, Fault and Out"
 
November. 2005 ShenLong
 
Chapter 22
 
Treize watched in horror as Taurus attempted to clear the gate, he saw the hind legs catch and break through the top two spars, the animal being thrown off balance. As Taurus landed on the other side, Treize watched, helpless as the horse fell and disappeared from sight.
 
Relena watched the drama unfold, her eyes wide, skin paling when the chestnut crashed through the top of the gate. Seeing the horse crumple and Heero go flying through the air, she screamed.
 
Treize was running before he was aware of his legs moving. /Oh God, oh God. Please let them be all right,/ he thought desperately as he pushed his legs as fast as they could carry him. As he reached the broken gate his blood ran cold. Heero lay crumpled against the tree trunk, unmoving. Taurus was attempting to get to his feet.
 
With a dry mouth, Treize grabbed his cell phone from his pocket and called 000 [1].
 
"This is emergency. Fire, police or ambulance?"
 
"Ambulance."
 
"Ambulance. What is the nature of the emergency?"
 
"This is Treize Kushrenada. I need an ambulance, one of my riders has fallen from his horse."
 
The ambulance dispatch took all the details Treize could supply and reassured him that an ambulance had been sent and would be there as soon as possible.
 
Treize disconnected and redialed, this time he called the stables.
 
"Otto. Quick, there's been an accident. I'm in the lane at the back of the jumping paddock. I need you to bring a blanket, Taurus' rug and halter. Hurry."
 
While he'd been making the calls, Treize had moved to where Heero lay. Pocketing the cell phone, Treize checked Heero's neck and was relieved to find a pulse. Heero was out cold and Treize didn't dare move him, he hadn't a clue as to what injuries Heero may have sustained and moving him may aggravate any injury. He did undo the chin strap to Heero's helmet, but left the helmet in place.
 
"Oh God."
 
Hearing the softly spoken words, Treize turned to see that Relena had managed to get across the paddock. She was staring at Taurus and looked like she was about to pass out. Treize turned to look at the horse properly for the first time. He swallowed hard and forced the bile back down.
 
"Relena!" he said sharply, drawing the woman's attention back to him. "I need you to sit here with Heero and keep an eye on him. Otto is on his way and so is the ambulance."
 
Numbly, Relena nodded and shuffled over to where Heero lay. "He's..."
 
"He's okay, Relena, just unconscious. Don't try to move him, just sit there next to him and watch him for me. I have to go see to Taurus. If Heero comes around, tell him not to move and let me know."
 
"Okay." Tears were filling Relena's eyes, but she obediently sat on the grass next to Heero and kept her eyes on him.
 
Treize turned his attention back to Taurus. The chestnut had managed to get back to his feet and now stood in the middle of the road, head hanging, sides heaving and eyes glazed with pain and shock.
 
"Easy, boy," Treize soothed as he approached the injured horse. Keeping up a low murmur, Treize ran his eyes over the animal, assessing the damage. Once more he had to fight to keep his stomach's contents. Blood ran freely from several wounds on the horse's legs, shoulders and head. Taurus' muzzle was crushed in, blood dripping from the nostrils. The blood wasn't what made Treize feel queasy though. The horse's left foreleg was hanging uselessly from the forearm, twisted at a horrible angle. The glint of bone could be seen through the mangled flesh.
 
"Oh, Taurus," Treize said softly as he managed to get beside the chestnut. He ran a gentle hand along the horse's neck, speaking softly and trying to stop his voice from choking.
 
Taurus tried to give a nudge and whinny, but ended up lurching to the side, blood splattering everywhere as he snorted and coughed.
 
"Steady, whoa. Stand, boy," Treize said and tried desperately to stop the animal from moving and aggravating his injuries. He could hear the sound of the stable land rover approaching and prayed that the ambulance wouldn't be long.
 
Otto could see the group up ahead and slowed the vehicle. He brought the land rover to a halt and climbed out, motioning for Henry, one of the stable boys he'd brought with him, to grab the items in the back. Quickly, Otto sized up the situation, noted that Heero was out cold, Relena sitting with him and Treize trying to soothe an obviously distressed and injured Taurus.
 
Henry appeared beside him and Otto took the rug and halter, telling Henry to cover Heero with the blanket and then come and assist him with the horse.
 
"You okay, boss?" Otto asked as he took charge of the terrified animal.
 
Treize shook his head. "No, I'm not, Otto. Thank you for getting here so quickly though."
 
Otto gave a grim nod and turned his attention to the frightened horse. "Fucking hell," he ground out as he took in the extent of the damage.
 
Henry walked over to them. "I've put the blanket over Heero... Oh shit!" Henry quickly turned away and sprinted for the road side where he proceeded to empty his stomach.
 
In the distance the sound of sirens could be heard. Treize gave a sigh of relief. It felt like hours had passed when a glance at his watch told him only eight minutes had elapsed.
 
"Boss?"
 
Treize turned back to Otto. "Yes?"
 
"I hate to say this, but I don't think there's any hope for Taurus."
 
Lowering his head, Treize took a deep breath. "That's what I thought."
 
"Have you called the vet? Or would you prefer me to?"
 
Duo.
 
With all the happenings, Treize had completely forgotten about calling Duo. "Fuck! I've got to call Duo," Treize said and reached for his cell phone again. Quickly he punched in the number and waited while the call connected.
 
"Maxwell Veterinary Practice."
 
"I need to speak to Doctor Maxwell immediately. This is an emergency."
 
"May I ask who is calling and the nature of the emergency?"
 
"It's Treize, Treize Kushrenada. There's been an accident at the stables; Heero and Taurus have taken a fall."
 
"Is Heero okay?" the woman interrupted, her voice full of concern.
 
"He's out cold. Look, I really need to speak to Duo."
 
"Putting you through now."
 
Seconds later, Treize had been transferred and Duo's voice came down the line.
 
"Treize? What's happening? Catherine said there'd been a fall," Duo couldn't keep the panic from rising in his voice.
 
"Duo, calm down. Taurus bolted, he…he tried to jump the paddock gate and fell. Heero was thrown clear, but he's unconscious. I don't know what injuries he has, but the ambulance is almost here."
 
"I'm on my way," Duo interrupted.
 
"We're in the lane at the back of the jumping paddock."
 
"Right."
 
The line went dead. Treize looked at the silent cell phone for a moment and then ran a hand though his hair. The sound of the ambulance siren was drawing closer. "Henry, go to the end of the lane and wait for the ambulance. Point them in this direction," Treize barked at the green looking stable hand.
 
Henry nodded and took off at a run. He really didn't want to stay around the accident site if he could help it. He loved horses, enjoyed working with them, but to see the damage to the chestnut. Henry shuddered. Best not to think about that, lest he start heaving again.
 
Treize dialed another number and waited patiently for the call to connect. Out the corner of his eye he watched Otto doing his best to keep Taurus calm and prevent any further pain or injury. Heero still lay at the base of the tree unmoving, Relena by his side sniffing softly. Treize was beginning to think he was in the middle of a nightmare.
 
"Oakford Equine Hospital. How can I help you?"
 
"This is Treize Kushrenada from the Kushrenada Showjumping stable. There's been an accident, I need a vet immediately."
 
"One moment, Mr Kushrenada."
 
Soft music came down the line for a few seconds before a male voice replaced it.
 
"This is Doctor Zechs Merquise. I believe you need assistance?"
 
"Yes. One of my pupils and a horse have had a jumping accident. The horse bolted and tried to jump the paddock gate. He didn't make it."
 
"I see. Is it possible for you to give me an indication of the extent of the horse's injuries? It's so I know what equipment to bring with me."
 
"I think all you will need is the humane killer." Treize couldn't help the choke in his voice as he spoke.
 
"Ah. Where exactly is the horse?"
 
Treize gave the address and directions to the lane. "Please hurry. Taurus... He's not in a good way and I don't want him to suffer..." Treize trailed off, he didn't trust himself to speak any more.
 
"I'll be there as quickly as I can. Is the rider all right?"
 
"Heero took a pretty bad fall and is unconscious. Ambulance is here now."
 
"Heero? Is that, Heero Yuy?"
 
"Yes. Do you know him?"
 
"Yes, yes, I do. Heero and Duo Maxwell are friends of mine. Look, I'm on my way, I should be there within fifteen minutes."
 
"Thank you." Treize closed the cell phone and turned briefly to Otto. "Vet's on his way."
 
"Good." Otto ran a soothing hand along Taurus' neck. "It's all right, boy. You'll be out of your pain soon." Tears glistened in the older groom's eyes as he gently pulled the chestnut's ears.
 
***
 
Duo grabbed his keys and jacket, shoving his feet into his sneakers all at the same time. He tore out of the house and sprinted to the surgery. Catherine met him halfway.
 
"Is Heero okay?" the receptionist asked.
 
"I don't know, Catherine. Treize said he wasn't sure of what injuries Heero may have. All he said was Heero was unconscious and the ambulance was on its way."
 
"Go, Duo. I'll take care of things here until you get back."
 
"Thanks." Duo's mind was racing with thoughts of Heero and how badly his lover could be hurt. He wasn't thinking straight, the practice, clients, horses all swimming around in his head and he was unable to think what to do.
 
"Don't worry about anything here. I'll sort it all out and look after everything. You go to Heero, he needs you. Please, Duo."
 
Duo nodded and turned. "I'll call and let you know what's happening."
 
"I'll be here."
 
With his heart in his throat and fear in his gut, Duo raced back down the path, passed the house and jumped into his car. Yanking his seatbelt on, he started the vehicle and jerked the shift into 'drive'. The car tore along the driveway and out onto the road. Duo pushed the vehicle as fast as he dared, mind racing with possible injuries to Heero.
 
Catherine watched the distraught vet leave, her own heart heavy with sadness. She hoped and prayed that Heero was going to be okay. Pushing the thoughts to the back of her mind for the moment, Catherine drew on her inner strength. There were things to be done, she reminded herself and quickly returned to the office inside the surgery. Sitting down, she called Hilde first, briefly letting the female vet know what had happened. "I know it's your day off, Hilde, but would you mind -"
 
"I'll be there shortly," Hilde said, cutting Catherine off. "You can give me the rest of the details once I'm there."
 
"Thank you, Hilde." Catherine hung up and thought about the situation for a moment. Evening consults were taken care of now that Hilde was coming in and she could see to the couple of animals that were currently in the kennels.
 
The horses.
 
What about Zero, Scythe and Shini? While Catherine was confident in her handling of animals, she hadn't had a great deal to do with horses, and even less with the ones on the property. She didn't have a clue regarding their feeding, bringing them in or putting rugs on. Reaching for the 'phone again, she dialed a well known number.
 
"Barton Animal Refuge."
 
The sound of her brother's calm voice down the line soothed Catherine's troubled mind. Trowa could help, she knew he would.
 
Trowa listened as Catherine broke the news, his heart plummeted and his mouth went dry as she told him all she knew.
 
"Duo has gone to be with Heero, I've got Hilde coming in to cover the consults and I can look after the animals in the kennels, but... Trowa? The horses. I don't know what to do about them."
 
"Leave them be, Cathy. I'll finish up what I have to do here and then I'll be over. Quatre can come with me and we will look after the horses."
 
"Thanks, Trowa." Catherine heaved a sigh of relief.
 
"I'll be there as soon as I can. You have my cell number, call me as soon as you know anything."
 
"I will. Oh Trowa..."
 
"Heero will be okay, Cathy."
 
"You don't know that."
 
"Trust me. He's a tough guy. He has to be okay." Trowa didn't add that it would shatter Duo's world if Heero wasn't.
 
"I'll see you soon then."
 
"Be there shortly, Cathy." Trowa disconnected the call.
 
Catherine held the receiver for a moment and then placed it back in the cradle. With a deep sigh, she turned to the paper work that awaited.
 
* * *
 
Henry showed the ambulance officers where to go and then followed behind the gleaming white vehicle. The officers drove slowly along the narrow lane; up ahead they could see a small gathering of people and a horse. They pulled up a little way from the group, having turned off their lights and sirens once they'd reached the lane.
 
The ambulance men got out, going to the back of the vehicle and opening the doors. One climbed in and grabbed a bag of equipment that he passed to the other officer before grabbing another bag and joining his colleague. They jogged towards the group, slowing to walk when they saw the horse getting upset by their approach.
 
"Where is the patient?" one officer asked.
 
Treize left Otto in charge of Taurus and strode towards the ambulance men. "He's over here."
 
"What happened?" asked the other officer as they dropped their bags on the ground, the one officer questioning Treize while the other began to check Heero.
 
"We were doing some jumping training with the horse. He'd been going well so we'd decided to call it a day. Then the horse got a fright and bolted. Heero couldn't stop him, they went straight for the gate over there." Treize pointed to the broken gate. "He didn't clear it, caught his hind legs on the top and when he landed, he just… fell. Heero must have gone over his shoulder and ended up against the tree here."
 
"Right."
 
"I haven't moved him at all, I've only undone the chin strap to his helmet."
 
"Has he come around at all?" the officer whose name badge read 'Paul Simons' asked as he pulled Heero's eyelids up and flashed a pen light into them, noting the pupils' reaction.
 
"No. He's been out since he fell."
 
"Okay. Excuse me, Miss? Could you move over that way a bit? We need room to work here," the other ambulance officer whose name badge said 'John Dalton' asked Relena.
 
"Sorry." Relena shuffled to the side to give the men room to work.
 
The two ambulance officers worked quietly and efficiently, talking in low tones to each other as they carefully assessed Heero's unconscious form. They checked blood pressure, temperature, reaction to light and stimuli. Skilled hands explored Heero's legs and then gently straightened them. Abdomen, ribs and torso were similarly examined before the officers moved to Heero's arms, shoulders and neck.
 
The helmet was carefully removed and a neck brace fitted. Treize could see the darkening purple of a large bruise appearing over Heero's right temple. Simons went back to the rig and fetched the gurney, while Dalton straightened up and addressed Treize.
 
"From what I can tell he appears to have a broken upper right arm and dislocated collar bone. I don't think there are any internal injuries or any damage to his legs. The bruise on his head is of concern, but until a doctor has a look at him there is no way to be certain of what damage has been done. We're going to put a drip line in and then transport him through to Salsbury Memorial Hospital for assessment. I'm going to need a contact number of his next of kin."
 
"I'm not sure who his next of kin is," replied Treize. "I have it back up at the house on the employment forms though. Can I call it through to the hospital emergency section?"
 
"That will be fine. If he comes around in the interim we can always ask him," replied Dalton.
 
"Okay. I have to wait for the vet who's on his way to treat the horse, as soon as I'm finished with that I'll get the paperwork out and ring the hospital."
 
"Thank you." Dalton turned back to give his partner a hand with setting up the drip and then they carefully lifted Heero onto the gurney. Dalton turned to Treize. "I don't suppose there's any chance of anyone coming with us?"
 
"I've called his -" Treize paused for a moment and chose his words carefully. "I've phoned his house mate, he's on his way now. I don't think he's going to get here within the next five minutes though."
 
"I'll go."
 
Treize turned, along with the ambulance officers to see Relena struggling to her feet.
 
"Relena, I don't think," began Treize.
 
"Nonsense. Heero needs someone familiar with him if he comes around. You can't go because of Taurus. That long haired thing won't be here for ages so it makes sense for me to go. Besides, Heero and I are practically engaged, it's only right I should be the one to go with him."
 
The ambulance officer called Simons quirked an eyebrow.
 
"I wish you would stop with this delusion of yours, Relena," Treize all but snapped. He really didn't have the patience right now to deal with the woman, but he couldn't betray Heero either. It was a catch 22 situation.
 
"Look, I don't know what is going on here and to be frank, I don't care either," began Dalton. "My first priority is to my patient and that's what I'm intent on doing. I need a familiar face for the patient as well as someone who can provide information on the patient to accompany us to the hospital. Until you can supply me with the contact details of the next of kin or you can come along yourself, I have no choice but to take this woman with me."
 
Relena gave a small smile. "I'll be happy to come with you and answer any questions relating to Heero that I can."
 
There wasn't anything Treize could do. Torn between keeping his friend's secret, remaining with his horse or heading to the hospital himself, Treize didn't have a say in the matter. "Fine. Go with him, Relena, but as soon as Doctor Maxwell gets there I'd make myself scarce if I were you."
 
Resisting the urge to scowl at the mention of the vet's name, Relena grabbed her crutches and hobbled behind the ambulance officers and gurney. Fortunately the ambulance was on the far side from Taurus and with the animal in pain and shock he didn't see Relena hobbling along.
 
The ambulance officers loaded Heero into the back, settled Relena in on one seat while Simons took the other and began to check Heero again. Dalton hopped in the driver's seat and began the trek back to the hospital.
 
Treize watched them leave and then turned around to face Otto and Taurus. His eyes watered when he took in the dejected state of the horse and groom. His heart was heavy in his chest and his stomach felt like it had a brick in it. He wanted to scream, shout his frustrations out to the heavens above, but he couldn't. All he could do was wait, hope and pray.
 
A car came speeding down the main road, braked heavily and then swung into the lane. Treize recognized it as Duo and he squared his shoulders.
 
Duo had the door open and was out of the car before he'd stopped completely. "Where is he? What happened? Is he okay?" Duo called as he sprinted towards Treize. "Oh my fucking god!" he added when he pulled up short, seeing the injuries to Taurus.
 
Treize grabbed the vet by the shoulders and fixed him with his eye. "Duo, calm down. Heero's just left in the ambulance. They're taking him straight to Salsbury Memorial Hospital. They suspect a broken arm, dislocated collar bone and probably concussion. They couldn't say anymore as they don't know until he has tests."
 
"Is he still unconscious?"
 
"Yes." Treize paused, knowing the vet wasn't going to like the next bit of information. "Relena's gone with him."
 
"What?!" Duo paled and then his jaw clenched in anger. "What's that pink fucking piece of crap think she's doing? Heero's my partner, not hers!"
 
Taking a deep breath, Treize shook Duo by the shoulders. "Listen to me," he began and then went on to explain exactly what had happened, how Taurus had taken fright at the sight of Relena hobbling with her crutches across the paddock to the subsequent fall and what had happened since.
 
"I'll kill her," Duo ground out, barely holding onto his temper. "I'll fucking eviscerate her, without an anesthetic and then feed her entrails to the fucking crows. That bitch!"
 
"That's enough, Duo! The ambulance officers needed someone to go with them to answer questions while Heero is still out. They also want the name and contact details of his next of kin. I don't have those details on me right now, I do have them on file in my office and I said I would call them as soon as I could and pass that information on. Until then they needed someone to provide answers to questions they have to ask."
 
"And you thought that fucking pink parasite would be okay to send? I'll tell you who Heero's next of kin is; it's me, Treize, fucking me! We both had all the official paperwork drawn up about a year ago. I'm Heero's next of kin and he's mine. I know him, know his history, she fucking doesn't."
 
"I'm sorry, Duo. I would have gone myself, but, as you can see," Treize waved his hand at Taurus, "I have another creature to take care of."
 
"Oh shit." Duo felt bad. He'd been venting his anger on Treize when it wasn't the man's fault at all. It was that pink bitch's. "Call the hospital, Treize. Tell them I'm Heero's next of kin and I'll be there as soon as possible. You can tell them I'll have the power of attorney papers faxed through to them to confirm it. Meanwhile they are not to do anything until I get there and give my consent, unless Heero's life is in danger. That pink cow is not to be taken notice of at all. Understand?!" Duo's eyes blazed as he spoke.
 
"I'll call them now."
 
"Thank you. The horse?"
 
"I've contacted Oakford, a vet is on his way."
 
Duo desperately wanted to go to the hospital and Heero, but he couldn't leave the animal standing there without doing something, his conscience wouldn't let him. His voice changed dramatically, the anger being replaced with a soothing tone as he approached the injured horse.
 
Treize watched from the corner of his eye as he spoke to the receptionist at the hospital. He gave her all the details, telling her they were to ignore any information from Relena and wait for Duo to get there for consent to any procedures necessary. The receptionist took all the information and assured Treize she would pass it on as soon as the ambulance arrived. Pocketing the cell phone, Treize walked over to join the vet.
 
Duo ran his eyes over the horse, his chest felt heavy as he took in the damage. Numerous lacerations to the hind legs, scrapes and cuts to the shoulders and foreleg. Crushed muzzle and that left foreleg. Duo shuddered and gently examined the leg with practiced fingers. The bone protruded through torn flesh of the forearm, blood congealing around the wound. "Jesus," he muttered under his breath and then turned away. "You said you have a vet en route to him?"
 
"Yes." Treize took a look at his watch. "He should be here in about another five minutes."
 
Running a hand through his bangs, Duo sighed. "I have to go to the hospital, Heero needs me, but I can't leave that horse in that state. Do you have any objection to me giving him a painkiller? It will help a little until the other vet gets here and can take a proper look at his injuries." Duo didn't think there was any hope for the horse, but he wasn't the vet that had been called in so it wasn't his call to make. The least he could do though, without overstepping the veterinary boundaries, was to relieve the animal's pain.
 
"If you could I'd be grateful," replied Treize.
 
"No problem." Duo jogged back to his car and rummaged around in the boot. Finding the drug he needed, Duo quickly filled a syringe, attached a needle and grabbed a swab. "Easy, fella," Duo murmured as he dug a thumb into the jugular, swabbed and then injected the painkiller into the vein. "That should start to kick in pretty much straight away," he told Treize.
 
"Thank you."
 
"You're welcome. I'd better go."
 
"I'll call you once the vet has finished with Taurus and I have things under control here. Is it okay for me to come up to the hospital?" Treize asked.
 
"Of course it is, Treize. I'll see you there later. Good luck with the horse."
 
"Thanks."
 
Duo took off at a run and got back into his car. He drove off in the direction of the hospital, still seething at the gall of the pink parasite.
 
* * *
 
Zechs checked his directions again and then spotted the small turn off. He indicated and turned the car from the main road into the small lane, up ahead he could see three people and a horse. "That must be them," he said to himself as he brought the car as close as possible. Getting out, his eyes ran over what he could see of the horse and his brow furrowed.
 
Spotting the car, Treize walked over to greet the vet. As the person got out of the vehicle, Treize felt his steps falter for a second before he quickly regained his composure.
 
"Treize Kushrenada?" Zechs asked as the ginger haired man walked towards him.
 
"That's me. Are you from Oakford?"
 
"Yes. Zechs Merquise at your service," said Zechs and shook the offered hand. "What's the news on Heero?"
 
"Broken arm, dislocated collar bone, probably concussion. Anything else we won't know until he's been checked by a doctor."
 
"And this is the horse?"
 
"Yes. This is Taurus. Doctor Maxwell gave him a painkiller a few minutes ago when he got here. He's gone direct to the hospital now, but said he couldn't leave Taurus in pain."
 
"Good. I appreciate him doing that. Easy, boy." Zechs moved close and began his examination.
 
Otto had put the rug over the horse to try and help with the shivering caused by the shock. He'd removed the saddle and tried to get the bridle off, but with Taurus' crushed muzzle he'd had to unbuckle all the straps and remove the bridle in pieces, the hardest being to try and slip the bit out of the horse's mouth.
 
Zechs stood up slowly from where he'd been crouched, examining the extent of the damage to the horse's left foreleg. He turned to face Treize, his mouth set in a grim line.
 
"How bad is it?" Treize asked with a tremble in his voice.
 
"I won't beat about the bush with you." Zechs took a deep breath. "The lacerations to the hind legs and shoulders can be cleaned and stitched. The damage to the muzzle... He's crushed the nasal bone and broken several teeth. Surgery could help, although it would be a big risk with only a thirty percent chance of success. The left fore, that's the problem. Both the ulna and radius bones have been broken. The radius has splintered and broken through the skin and in doing so has sliced the extensor pedis muscle and shredded part of the extensor metacarpi magnus muscle."
 
"Which all translates into?" Treize asked.
 
"I'm afraid there is nothing I can do for him, Mr Kushrenada. The kindest thing to do would be to put him down."
 
"I see." Treize turned and looked at the chestnut. The painkiller that Duo had administered had done its job, easing the animal's distress and Taurus stood quietly.
 
"I'm sorry." Zechs said softly.
 
Treize turned his attention back to the vet, his saddened eyes telling the painful struggle he was undergoing. "You can..?"
 
"I have my humane killer in the car."
 
"Thank you. Could I just have a couple of moments, please?"
 
"Take all the time you need. I'll wait by the car." Zechs gave the other man a comforting squeeze to the shoulder then turned to go back to the car and fetch the humane killer.
 
Treize walked over to the horse and gently stroked the chestnut neck. His pained eyes sought Otto's. "You heard?"
 
"Yes, boss."
 
"I'll hold him if you would prefer, Otto."
 
"Thanks, boss, but if it's okay with you, I'd like to stay here with him."
 
"I understand."
 
Otto called the stable boy, Henry over and had him assist in taking the horse's gear to the land rover and give Treize a few moments alone with the horse to say his good-byes.
 
Rubbing his hand against Taurus' forehead, Treize spoke softly. "You had the ability to be a good horse, win some top events. I'm so sorry it has to end this way. I wish, I wish I could turn back the clock, I wish the gate had been open, not closed. I should have done more to try and help Heero stop you." Despite having run the scenario through his head several times, Treize knew in his own heart there was nothing he could have done to change what had happened.
 
"I'm going to miss you, Taurus. Forgive me, but I cannot let you suffer any more." Treize handed the lead rope to Otto and quickly turned his head away. The water was pooling in his eyes and he didn't want anyone to see his distress.
 
Zechs knew it was an emotional moment, heartbreaking was more to the point. Zechs hated this part of the job, but he knew he was offering some comfort to the horse by ending its pain. As Treize walked away, Zechs pushed off the car and with the humane killer in hand and approached the horse and groom.
 
"Are you going to be okay to hold him? Or if you would prefer, I can do this by myself," Zechs said quietly.
 
Otto gave a nod in recognition to the vet giving him the chance to leave. "I'll stay with him."
 
"Okay." Zechs didn't have to say anything more, he could tell from the old groom's manner that he didn't want the horse's last few seconds to be with a stranger. "Just hold him steady." Zechs turned to look quickly over his shoulder. Treize was standing by the land rover, his back to them, the stable boy was beside him, also facing away. Zechs raised the humane killer to Taurus' head and pulled the trigger.
 
~ * ~
 
tbc...
 
[1] 000: Here in Australia the number to call for emergencies is 000. In the UK, it's 999 and in the US, 911. Being as this fic is set in Australia I've used the Aussie emergency number.
 
For a full picture of the horse's skeleton try here:http://www.ponyclubvic.org.au/?Page=82 or http://www.newrider.com/Library/Misc_Tips/skeleton.html
 
For the muscular system: http://www.ponyclubvic.org.au/?Page=84